In Car Wi-Fi.......what’s best way to go?

highlandjambo3

highlandjambo3

Hi All,

I am setting up a tour guide business to run concurrently with my guesthouse.  One of the services I’d like to provide is free in car wi-fi (subject to connectivity of course), no smart comments, we do have electricity and busses now.  

Anyway, the easiest option I believe is to allow the use of my data, currently 2gb from my iPhone, if I have “roaming data & personal hotspots” set to on, so long as there is G3-4 signal, clients can use wi-fi in my car.

My phone plan is £26 per month which includes my phone and my wife’s, I believe I could upgrade the data available should this not be enough per month, dependant of course on how often it’s used.

So, I do believe there are other ways to do this, other tech items I could purchase to improve this..............

Does anyone have a better idea that is simple and not so expensive?  I must warn you, reply like you are talking to a 5year old child 😊 I am no tech guru, pictures of items (or links) would be appreciated.

thanks in advance 

Just a suggestion, I'm not in any way an expert. Get one of these i.e.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00INXBW3U/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_2oQmEbVAEXGJN

Buy a sim only deal ( most can be bought on a monthly rolling contract), you should be able to get at least 10gb a month for a tenner and obviously larger allowance for more cash.

Others may have better solutions

😊

Not being funny but depending on how your in-car wifi gets used, 10GB could be eaten up in a day or two. If your passengers 2x kid's for example stream some movies or tv shows, you will be close to or over your allowance quite quickly. A 1hr TV show via netflix uses 1GB of data, stream in HD and it's 3GB of data. 

Personally, I would look at an unlimited data package for peace of mind, or if money was a restriction something like 50GB then give it a few months and determine average usage 

Instead of buying a gadget you could use an old mobile phone  and get a sim from whichever provider has the most coverage in areas you will cover. (plugged into keep charged and set as a hotspot)

Voxi (vodaphone) do a sim with unlimited data for £30 pm. Or 8gb for £10 and unlimited social media use. 

Smarty looks like a good un.  It uses the 3 network, if that's any help regarding coverage in your area.

highlandjambo3
25 minutes ago, shlabalaba said:

Ok thanks........so, will this SIM card data only work with this: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07147RC7F/ref=emc_b_5_t

Dean Winchester

Quite a few companies offer unlimited data packs now but you might need to take a close look at the Terms and Conditions as I'm sure most will say they are for personal use.

highlandjambo3
6 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

Quite a few companies offer unlimited data packs now but you might need to take a close look at the Terms and Conditions as I'm sure most will say they are for personal use.

I won’t tell anyone 😄

7 hours ago, Dean Winchester said:

Not only that, most will throttle back speeds massively after the fair use limit  is reached, which I think is bullshit myself.