BBC News

Cade

The BBC have announced 450 job cuts in their News department and are seriously narrowing the scope of stories they cover.

Giving up on actual journalism entirely it seems. 

They'll just be reading out government statements from now on (no matter which party is in power).

What a state.

Edited by Cade

Horatio Caine

Could start by not sending umpteen reporters and presenters out to the furthest reaches of the world to bring us the ten o'clock news from some disaster zone.  "And now, the ten o'clock news with Huw Edwards in Bangkok and Ben Brown in London."  Pish.

The Real Maroonblood

Dumping Linekar would be a good start to save money.

A complete waste of space.
He contributes sweet ***** adams to MOTD.

These presenters are pointless.

Just show the goals.

Their opinions are irrelevant 

Good news.  This is what happens when sensible people like myself don't bother paying the licence fee.  Hopefully more and more will follow and kill the BBC off for good.

1 hour ago, Gashauskis9 said:

They could save a small fortune by punting all the ‘royal correspondents’.  It’s 2020 FFS, nobody cares!!!

This....  in spades

1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Could start by not sending umpteen reporters and presenters out to the furthest reaches of the world to bring us the ten o'clock news from some disaster zone.  "And now, the ten o'clock news with Huw Edwards in Bangkok and Ben Brown in London."  Pish.

Correct but actually sporting events are worse. Olympics and world cups have tv and radio staff almost all there. Gravy train for too long

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Good news.  This is what happens when sensible people like myself don't bother paying the licence fee.  Hopefully more and more will follow and kill the BBC off for good.

Respectfully disagree.  As someone who has lived in other countries for a number of years, the quality of programming from the BBC (for what is a fairly small fee compared to today's streaming services) is far and above anything many other broadcasters produce.

Be careful what you wish for....and as far as not paying the fee - just ridiculous.

Just now, Gards said:

Respectfully disagree.  As someone who has lived in other countries for a number of years, the quality of programming from the BBC (for what is a fairly small fee compared to today's streaming services) is far and above anything many other broadcasters produce.

Be careful what you wish for....and as far as not paying the fee - just ridiculous.

Absolutely this.

1 hour ago, Randy Marsh said:

Do you ever listen to BBC Radio or watch BBC TV?

Psychedelicropcircle

They are surely making it even harder to locate paedo employees  in their own building by reducing reporters:bwcornette:

BBC4 documentaries are great and BBC wildlife unit remains the best in the world.

BBC Sport and BBC News are shamefully poor.

The BBC also owns 50% of all the UKTV group of channels (Alibi, Dave, Drama, Eden, Gold, W and Yesterday).

Which is why these channels are mostly BBC repeats.

Which is also how these channels could afford to make new series like Taskmaster and Red Dwarf.

Good Food and Home and Really just got sold to Discovery.

21 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The quicker it dies the better. A Government propaganda platform that doughnuts pay for. 

What would you have in its place?

AlphonseCapone
49 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Time to dump the Scotland channel and BBC Alba.  More people watch Hamilton Accies than these channels.

Probably account for only a fraction of the BBC's costs. 

17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

So you never listen or watch the BBC?  Why do you dislike it so much that you want it destroyed?

Not for a long time no.  Many reasons such as being agenda driven, bias, employing peedo's, unfunny comedians, Gary Linaker, Jonathon Ross (£10m a year salary) etc.  Do you work for the BBC or something?😂

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

What would you have in its place?

There is about 1,000 channels. Does something have to replace it? 

The BBC could work if it was broken up. Get rid off BBC 1/2/4. 

Replace it with different channels, BBC News (which exists), BBC Sport, BBC History, BBC Natural World/Science, BBC Drama .... Something like that. 

But the status quo for the BBC won't last, it has to change. 

11 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Not for a long time no.  Many reasons such as being agenda driven, bias, employing peedo's, unfunny comedians, Gary Linaker, Jonathon Ross (£10m a year salary) etc.  Do you work for the BBC or something?😂

You don’t have to work for the BBC to appreciate what good value it is - especially compared to channels that have to rely on advertising revenue.

But yeah, channels relying on advertisers certainly aren’t agenda-driven or biased.

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There is about 1,000 channels. Does something have to replace it? 

The BBC could work if it was broken up. Get rid off BBC 1/2/4. 

Replace it with different channels, BBC News (which exists), BBC Sport, BBC History, BBC Natural World/Science, BBC Drama .... Something like that. 

But the status quo for the BBC won't last, it has to change. 

Yes, I think something would.  There are a plethora of channels but most of them are really, really sh** and littered with adverts (which everyone pays for).

After seeing the quality of TV in places like the US, Canada and Australia if it turned into a subscription service the BBC is one of the few I would buy.

SpruceBringsteen

Often watch Pointless and the tremendous Repair Shop at lunchtime over here.

If me paying nixy for that leads to some fatuous cretin like Willie Miller having to take a pay cut, well then that's a real shame. 

:greggy:

17 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Yes, I think something would.  There are a plethora of channels but most of them are really, really sh** and littered with adverts (which everyone pays for).

After seeing the quality of TV in places like the US, Canada and Australia if it turned into a subscription service the BBC is one of the few I would buy.

I think it is the only way forward for the BBC. 

If they had whole channels tailored or dedicated to these things, the license fee would be perhaps worth every penny.  People want choice. 

£12.83 a month to watch the crap the BBC churns out, or £5.99 a month to watch pretty much anything you want on Netflix. It's an easy choice.

34 minutes ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Often watch Pointless and the tremendous Repair Shop at lunchtime over here.

If me paying nixy for that leads to some fatuous cretin like Willie Miller having to take a pay cut, well then that's a real shame. 

:greggy:

Well, I wonder.

People avoiding paying the licence fee means less money for the BBC and means them getting even worse presenters, the cheapest of the cheap.

Next thing you know it’ll be gone and we’ll have Fox.  Great.

I wonder if people are extending their contempt for BBC”Scotland”’s football coverage (a contempt I share) to BBC output in general.

16 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I think it is the only way forward for the BBC. 

If they had whole channels tailored or dedicated to these things, the license fee would be perhaps worth every penny.  People want choice. 

£12.83 a month to watch the crap the BBC churns out, or £5.99 a month to watch pretty much anything you want on Netflix. It's an easy choice.

That’s not my experience.

Just now, FWJ said:

That’s not my experience.

What is your experience? 

I'll put it another way. 

Netflix has more choice and has better programmes than the BBC. 

For half the price. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

What is your experience? 

I'll put it another way. 

Netflix has more choice and has better programmes than the BBC. 

For half the price. 

I disagree, that’s all.

And I spend more time listening to the radio everyday than watching TV

Edited by FWJ

7 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I disagree, that’s all.

And I spend more time listening to the radio everyday than watching TV

You don't need a License to listen to the radio. So I'm not sure that works within the context of this thread. 

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

You don't need a License to listen to the radio. So I'm not sure that works within the context of this thread. 

How is it funded though?

No licence fee, no BBC Radio.  Instead a host of digital stations that come and go and, like their TV counterparts, littered with adverts we all pay for.

Is there a commercial equivalent to Radio 4?

24 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Well, I wonder.

People avoiding paying the licence fee means less money for the BBC and means them getting even worse presenters, the cheapest of the cheap.

Next thing you know it’ll be gone and we’ll have Fox.  Great.

I wonder if people are extending their contempt for BBC”Scotland”’s football coverage (a contempt I share) to BBC output in general.

Do you not think BBC could be even better though if it was opened up to advertising and had commercials like ITV etc?  Surely it would generate more money than relying on the license fee?

6 minutes ago, Randy Marsh said:

Do you not think BBC could be even better though if it was opened up to advertising and had commercials like ITV etc?  Surely it would generate more money than relying on the license fee?

No, absolutely not.

First of all it would be competing with ITV for advertising revenue which would either drive down standards for both - or if by some miracle companies decided to double their advertising budgets to advertise on both, would lead to them putting up prices to pay for the adverts.

In either case it wouldn’t have the niche programmes that advertisers don’t like it would just be programmes that get huge audiences.  Soaps, soaps, soaps.

A race to the bottom.

Edited by FWJ

2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Time to dump the Scotland channel and BBC Alba.  More people watch Hamilton Accies than these channels.

I think BBC Scotland is great.  Some good shows on there.

20 minutes ago, FWJ said:

How is it funded though?

No licence fee, no BBC Radio.  Instead a host of digital stations that come and go and, like their TV counterparts, littered with adverts we all pay for.

People don't pay their licence fee to listen to the radio though. That's why it's called a TV licence. It's not their radio that needs sorting out, it's their TV programming. 

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, Gashauskis9 said:

I think BBC Scotland is great.  Some good shows on there.

Aye some proper good relevant stuff. I think the BBC is much better than it gets credit for as a general rule. Their coverage of the last independence referendum was a shambles though. 

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

People don't pay their licence fee to listen to the radio though. That's why it's called a TV licence. It's not their radio that needs sorting out, it's their TV programming. 

And the TV licence pays for radio programming too.

How would you fund BBC Radio?

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye some proper good relevant stuff. I think the BBC is much better than it gets credit for as a general rule. Their coverage of the last independence referendum was a shambles though. 

I think the fact that the right-wing thinks it’s too left-wing and the left-wing thinks it’s too right-wing and conservatives think it’s too liberal and liberal-minded folk think it’s too conservative means that it must be about right.

12 minutes ago, FWJ said:

And the TV licence pays for radio programming too.

How would you fund BBC Radio?

Their Radio broadcasting is secondary and relies on their TV broadcasting to bring in revenue. 

If the BBC did something that ive stated above, which I believe would be beneficial to their programming, then people are more likely to pay for the TV licence fee.

If they don't and they carry on with their outdated, backwards broadcasting, they will go out of business and there will be no BBC anything. 

Personally, I wouldn't notice if the BBC went out of business if no one told me. That's really how much notice I take of the BBC and I'm not alone.

The demographics are changing. Young people aren't going to be paying a licence fee to watch Songs of Praise, Country file and listen to the Archers. The BBC don't have long left unless they change dramatically. If they keep with the status quo, they won't last another 20 years. 

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Probably account for only a fraction of the BBC's costs. 

But they're Scottish so the yes voter Frank hates them

12 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Their Radio broadcasting is secondary and relies on their TV broadcasting to bring in revenue. 

If the BBC did something that ive stated above, which I believe would be beneficial to their programming, then people are more likely to pay for the TV licence fee.

If they don't and they carry on with their outdated, backwards broadcasting, they will go out of business and there will be no BBC anything. 

Personally, I wouldn't notice if the BBC went out of business if no one told me. That's really how much notice I take of the BBC and I'm not alone.

The demographics are changing. Young people aren't going to be paying a licence fee to watch Songs of Praise, Country file and listen to the Archers. The BBC don't have long left unless they change dramatically. If they keep with the status quo, they won't last another 20 years. 

There’s a bit more than those carefully selected shows on the BBC.

Because it doesn’t have to rely on advertisers it can fund niche or experimental shows.

If you live in the UK I would be astonished if you didn’t notice if the BBC went out of business, especially since you know enough about its output to know that it’s a “government propaganda platform”.

If that was the case I wonder why so many in this government are keen to reform it.

Edited by FWJ

BBC News stories

Donald Trump is bad

Gender pay gap

Race equality

Men are bad

Straight people are bad

A minorities feel good story

The Royal family

Female sport

It is suckers like me that pay for it

:facepalm:

4 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

BBC News stories

Donald Trump is bad

Gender pay gap

Race equality

Men are bad

Straight people are bad

A minorities feel good story

The Royal family

Female sport

It is suckers like me that pay for it

:facepalm:

Predictable.

Donald Trump is bad

There is a gender pay gap 

What’s your problem with race equality?
Sometimes men are bad

Sometimes straight people are bad
Is there a problem with making minorities feel good?

The Royal Family still interest a lot of people in this country (take a look at a newsagent’s magazine rack.)

Females play sport.