Harry Cochrane and Anthony McDonald

jambogemz

Got to wonder what direction these young lads careers are going to go!

The manager gave all the young lads the chance to show what they can do by recalling them from loan and promotion to the first team proper. Lewis Moore and Euan Henderson have grabbed the chance while the current development of Andy Irving is an absolute joy to watch. 

Neither Cochrane nor McDonald have even made the matchday squad since coming back and it's not looking great for them. Both burst onto the scene and looked like having big futures but they've virtually disappeared in the last year.

I know Cochrane has had injury issues but you've got to question if he has the desire to forge a decent career. I know even less about McDonald. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see either go out on loan again before Friday. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• Spellczech

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Mikey1874

2 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

The manager gave all the young lads the chance to show what they can do by recalling them from loan and promotion to the first team proper. Lewis Moore and Euan Henderson have grabbed the chance while the current development of Andy Irving is an absolute joy to watch. 

Neither Cochrane nor McDonald have even made the matchday squad since coming back and it's not looking great for them. Both burst onto the scene and looked like having big futures but they've virtually disappeared in the last year.

I know Cochrane has had injury issues but you've got to question if he has the desire to forge a decent career. I know even less about McDonald.  

We just brought them back from loan

4 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Wouldn't be unusual. Nor would it be a big issue. They're both 18. Plenty time.

Just now, Hearts007 said:

Yes that's part of my point.

They've came back from loan but haven't made a matchday squad since while other young players have taken the opportunity to impress the new manager. 

They need first team exposure if they are to continue developing as players but at the moment it's looking doubtful that'll be at Hearts.

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Wouldn't be unusual. Nor would it be a big issue. They're both 18. Plenty time.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

McDonald can only play for Hearts or Dunfermline this season. 

Cochrane could play for another club.. 

:thumbs_up:

Just now, jambogemz said:

They've came back from loan but haven't made a matchday squad since while other young players have taken the opportunity to impress the new manager. 

They need first team exposure if they are to continue developing as players but at the moment it's looking doubtful that'll be at Hearts.

See Mickey's answer

9 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

macdonald has had injury problems as well and was hardly ever fit at dunfermline both are physically behind irving and henderson, were in a relegation dogfight, seems pretty straight forward to me, no molehills in sight. stendell has a different way of playing i'd imagine he would like everybody to playing the same and he's probably never seen them play so him familiarising himsrlf with the whole squad makes perfect sense to me.

Haringshairband
18 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I think everyone forgets just how young they are 

Yeah they're still very young and should not be written off by our very impatient fans.

There's every chance of them getting their shot at some point if they put the good work in.    Neither is in a position to develop a sense of injustice if they have to wait.     

If they get a chance,   they need to show they're really keen to make an impression because they'll very quickly play themselves out of the club.

Edited by Victorian

Relegation battle is no place for these kids. Moore and Henderson are being used in wide positions (easily changeable if there having a mare) and Irving is physically strong enough to cope with this. Mcdonald and Cochrane I’m hoping are patiently sitting in the wings ready to be released when the time is right. 

They are both only about 18 let them train and learn with the senior squad a chance might come but let's just see how they develop in time with Stendel's ethos.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

Both have the played for us so can only go back to the Pars I think.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Both have the played for us so can only go back to the Pars I think.

Cochrane hasn't played for Hearts this season.

33 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

A year older than Aaron Hickey but a year younger than Andrew Irving ...

Салатные палочки

I can see Stendel's point in bringing them back. If he has looked at the squad and decided who wasn't going to be able to play his style and got rid, it's worth him having a look at two young lads in training and making a similar decision either way. 

portobellojambo1
50 minutes ago, jambogemz said:

I fully understand your thinking but I suspect Daniel Stendel will keep them here and look to get them contributing to the 1st team as quickly as he can. If I'm honest I think they are two young players who the previous football people let down. I still cannot believe that Harry Cochrane was told he was either too small or the wrong build to be a footballer. I suspect Daniel Stendel is the sort of guy why will treat these two the same as Jock Stein treated Jimmy Johnstone. Said before on here, but it is a thought that stays in my head, I just cannot imagine Stein ever told Johnstone he though he was too wee or tool ight to succeed in football, more likely he got the sort of encouragement you'd expect him to recieve, i.e. go out, do what you are good at and enjoy yourself.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, red said:

Relegation battle is no place for these kids. Moore and Henderson are being used in wide positions (easily changeable if there having a mare) and Irving is physically strong enough to cope with this. Mcdonald and Cochrane I’m hoping are patiently sitting in the wings ready to be released when the time is right. 

Both Moore and Henderson seem to have filled out quite a bit, which might have pushed them ahead of MacDonald. Irving has certainly cemented a place ahead of Cochrane. They'll get chances I'm sure and have loads of time. I thought we'd seen the last of Moore but he's looked much more like a first team player since breaking back in to the team. TBH MacDonald and Cochrane and all the young players should take heart from Stendel putting so much faith in Moore, Henderson and Irving.

Don’t expect to see McDonald in the first team any time soon. In his 1-2-1 with Stendel he was pretty much told to ship up or ship out. Attitude nowhere near good enough and even a suggestion some of his injuries haven’t quite been what they seemed.

A_A wehatethehibs

They only just got back in the last week or two? Think it’s right to give them time to get up to speed. 

But it wouldn’t be the first time a young player has come through and looked amazing, only to subsequently fall away and never make it at any sort of level 

59 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

McDonald can only play for Hearts or Dunfermline this season. 

Cochrane could play for another club.. 

Any insights where Cochran’s could land? Another loan maybe?

Plenty time to develop, I expect them to be starting 11 by the time they are 20! Got to let people grow, no point in flinging them in and not being able to cope! 

Seen Cochrane before the airdrie game and I was surprised at just how slightly built he is . 
Im sure with a decent coach in charge now we’ll see more from all our youngsters in the future . 

Bringing them back into the fold is the right call, they have a clean sheet to kick on. Wouldn't expect them to be training with the first team. A test of character for two young lads that clearly have talent. Getting them back and asking them to be role models for players younger than them might be what Stendel wants. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Mr Elwood P said:

A year older than Aaron Hickey but a year younger than Andrew Irving ...

And? 3 years younger than Moore 5 than Sean Clare. 

Ridiculous and unnecessary remarks 

Brighton Jambo

Personally I don’t think Cochrane is good enough and just happened to be a beacon of hope in a terrible period for the team, though would like to be proved wrong.  I know he had a niggle or two but being on the bench for Dunfermline doesn’t do anything to change my mind.  

I thought McDonald however looked the real deal and am surprised he hasn’t at least made the match day squad as an alternative wide option.  

Say What Again

Dunfermline ST at work would have liked them to stay. 

If they’re not going to be around match day squads, might be an option to return them there. 

For development, and given amount of club restrictions, before I get accused of writing them off 

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

Don’t expect to see McDonald in the first team any time soon. In his 1-2-1 with Stendel he was pretty much told to ship up or ship out. Attitude nowhere near good enough and even a suggestion some of his injuries haven’t quite been what they seemed.

Dissapointing if true. Hopefully he'll knuckle down as he has the talent to do well in the game. 

Would you honestly expect two 18yr olds to go straight into the team that was without a league win in 9-10 games immediately on their recall from loan to a first division team? The only game they should even have been considered for was the Alloa game but other young guys got the nod that day in midfield.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

How would Stendel know enough about his attitude and injuries to issue an ultimatum like that to a kid? Isn’t he just back from loan? 

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

How would Stendel know enough about his attitude and injuries to issue an ultimatum like that to a kid? Isn’t he just back from loan? 

IF it happened would have to be based on reports from Gary Naysmith but I'll be filing that one under "heard it on JKB" -  either that or one of Stendel or Macdonald is very indiscreet. I doubt Stendel is, and I cannot think of why MacDonald would want that info out there...

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

an ultimatum to a kid. Nae worries lets make it a nursery eh!!! That is what peoples jobs are to get that info and Stendel has seen him at training too. Jesus ****!!! Here go play for Dunfermline , well go there and arse about its cool , nobody will tell DS or GN or anyone its our secret.

Alex Kintner is bang on with what was said to him....

Cochrane and MacDonald are on shoogly pegs big time.

Edited by sadj

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Feedback from Naysmith and Levein.

1 minute ago, Spellczech said:

IF it happened would have to be based on reports from Gary Naysmith but I'll be filing that one under "heard it on JKB" -  either that or one of Stendel or Macdonald is very indiscreet. I doubt Stendel is, and I cannot think of why MacDonald would want that info out there...

You do know there would be more than 2 people would get or know the info of that 1-2-1

DS has a meeting with player then keeps all the info to himself after it in his secret dossier. This place is nuts....

1 minute ago, sadj said:

You do know there would be more than 2 people would get or know the info of that 1-2-1

DS has a meeting with player then keeps all the info to himself after it in his secret dossier. This place is nuts....

Have you ever had a job?

8 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

So Stendel wouldn’t have discussed McDonald with Siegers, Tonge, Levein or Naysmith? 

Stendel has had 1-2-1s with every player in the squad. Is every one of those conversations confidential between him and each player?

? You quoted my mentioning of Naysmith. 

? Tonge has been in the job for about a day and half...

? Siegers has been in the job for about a week and a half...

? Levein has had other bigger concerns this year than watching 18 year olds at Dunfermline (I hope)

10 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Have you ever had a job?

a few and one or two of them would prob put me in a pretty good place to understand the working of a footie club but hey ho. My bad , youll be right 🙄

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Aye. Very rare for lads their age to be commanding a spot at first team level in the top division. I think you’d have to be something special.

Always remember JJ saying most players weren’t really ready for regular first team football until about 21, 22. Certainly at a club like Hearts. 

2 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

? Tonge has been in the job for about a day and half... Aye they havent been speaking and discussing things for weeks 🙈🙈

? Siegers has been in the job for about a week and a half...As above..

? Levein has had other bigger concerns this year than watching 18 year olds at Dunfermline (I hope) Levein kept his knowledge of things up whilst in the job. However since being relieved what do you think he does on Saturdays when required? 

6 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

? Levein has had other bigger concerns this year than watching 18 year olds at Dunfermline (I hope)

On the contrary, after he was sacked from manager role Levein was off watching Smith, McDonald and Cochrane on loan. Sometimes at the same time as Hearts were playing. 

Edited by Alex Kintner

1 minute ago, sadj said:

I'll believe you if you can establish that these guys have been in Edinburgh or Dunfermline for weeks watching MacDonald and Cochrane. Until then, nonsense.

As for Levein, who knows, perhaps he gets his weekends to himself? I think he was noted as being at a DUFC game last week... You are just making this stuff up...

7 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

In terms of Tonge, we may have announced him on Monday but he has already been involved and was part of meetings taking place on Sunday morning between Stendel and technical analysis and scouting staff. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Aye. Very rare for lads their age to be commanding a spot at first team level in the top division. I think you’d have to be something special.

Always remember JJ saying most players weren’t really ready for regular first team football until about 21, 22. Certainly at a club like Hearts. 

Moore and Clare showing right now how you can come back. 

To be writing off 18 year olds I find a bit sickening. 

They generally hit a dip when they are thrown in, especially at 16.

I think both will benefit from intense coaching 

Just now, Spellczech said:

I'll believe you if you can establish that these guys have been in Edinburgh or Dunfermline for weeks watching MacDonald and Cochrane. Until then, nonsense.

As for Levein, who knows, perhaps he gets his weekends to himself? I think he was noted as being at a DUFC game last week... You are just making this stuff up...

I posted weeks ago that Levein was off watching Connor Smith play instead of being at our match. 

It’s all true, you can take it or leave it. 👍🏻

1 minute ago, Alex Kintner said:

In terms of Tonge, we may have announced him on Monday but he has already been involved and was part of meetings taking place on Sunday morning between Stendel and technical analysis and scouting staff. 

So, two and a half days...

Walked past Harry and Tony on way to Airdrie game 

I seriously thought they both looked like young kids  They both are not built up enough bodily to be thrown at this dog fight 

As has been said by others they need time to develop physically  but certainly got talent at their feet as already proven