Is this racially aggravated abuse ?

CJGJ

Cardiff City want an apology from Reading after events that led to four Bluebirds fans being arrested by Thames Valley Police during their 1-1 FA Cup draw at Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The force said the four were arrested for "alleged racially aggravated abuse" and later released under investigation.

Cardiff dispute those allegations.

They said: "Language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature".

The statement added: "We are extremely disappointed that Reading Football Club chose to label the behaviour as racist and homophobic.

"We also question their protocol and procedure on the day and welcome a full investigation into its use for the benefit of both our clubs and indeed British football."

Fans' chants led to a public address warning to Cardiff fans during the match.

Cardiff chief executive Ken Choo said in the statement on Monday: "The announcement made at Reading this weekend was both damaging and hurtful and we would welcome a public apology from them to our supporters."

He added: "Our football club prides itself on its respect of all people, irrespective of their background, beliefs or orientation.

"Cardiff is a diverse and welcoming, modern multicultural city and our supporters' actions reflect that at our games.

"We have a zero tolerance approach towards racist or homophobic behaviour and our supporters' conduct consistently reflects that."

Choo is confident that after police conclude their investigation, "the reputation of our club and fans will be fully and unequivocally restored".

In their statement, Cardiff said: "It is understood that the four Cardiff City supporters arrested and subsequently released prior to investigation were cited during the fixture for using what could be considered as unwarranted language.

"This language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature."

Reading have been asked to comment.

The Football Association is investigating and has asked both clubs for their observations.

SomethingAboutObua

prior to investigation were cited during the fixture for using what would normally be considered as unwarranted or non-sensical language. This language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature.

Not sure what that could mean? Making monkey noises to black Reading fans/players?

You're not allowed to abuse someone for their nationality, in any modern interpretation of the term it is racism. If it's true the FA might as well use it as their chance to make an example out of both and I imagine they will, even if in reality fans of those clubs see it as a non-issue the FA have to look like they're making a stand

5 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Does this mean we still can’t  call John Hartson a Welsh ****? Clarification needed.

I’m positive a Hearts fan was arrested and charged at Celtic park for calling him a fat Welsh ****. 

Sexton Hardcastle

Would be quite funny if this tannoy warning protocol thing was enforced here. It would never be off most weeks. 

Is that something UEFA are looking to do does anyone know or is it up to the corrupt SFA?

Just now, SomethingAboutObua said:

Not sure what that could mean? Making monkey noises to black Reading fans/players?

You're not allowed to abuse someone for their nationality, in any modern interpretation of the term it is racism. If it's true the FA might as well use it as their chance to make an example out of both and I imagine they will, even if in reality fans of those clubs see it as a non-issue the FA have to look like they're making a stand

What are you going on about ?

No one is talking about monkey noises to Reading players..can I suggest you read the article first

I can't wait until police charge people for saying we're from the Capital you're from a ********

In your Glasgow slums and so on....

5 minutes ago, Mr 3 Putt said:

Since when was Wales and England a race?

This indeed is true.

What gets on my tits, digressing slightly, is that some of the goons on Talksport regularly take the pish out of Scottish accents. Would they imitate, for example, Imran Khan? Would they ****.

SomethingAboutObua
2 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

What are you going on about ?

No one is talking about monkey noises to Reading players..can I suggest you read the article first

I can't wait until police charge people for saying we're from the Capital you're from a ********

In your Glasgow slums and so on....

Did you read  the club statement that I quoted? They got arrested for  as you quoted

15 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

"alleged racially aggravated abuse"

Which Cardiff claimed was 

7 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

"unwarranted or non-sensical language"

The chances that "non-sensical language" is welufwelufhewroufhjcnvewlicneqwp is pretty low, I'm going to guess if they got arrested for saying something racist at a football match that is "nonsensical" it's something like a monkey noise. 

2 minutes ago, smiler said:

This indeed is true.

What gets on my tits, digressing slightly, is that some of the goons on Talksport regularly take the pish out of Scottish accents. Would they imitate, for example, Imran Khan? Would they ****.

Take the Simpsons. Apu = racist and Groundskeeper Willie = not racist. Neither are racist just one is untouchable for satire due to being non white. Goodness Gracious me was one of the unfunniest comedy shows ever imo but their 'going for an English' sketch is top drawer. Any sketch mocking an Indian would be racist. It all just stinks.

3 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Did you read  the club statement that I quoted? They got arrested for  as you quoted

The chances that "non-sensical language" is welufwelufhewroufhjcnvewlicneqwp is pretty low, I'm going to guess if they got arrested for saying something racist at a football match that is "nonsensical" it's something like a monkey noise. 

Or it could just have been Welsh!!

4 minutes ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Where is mention of the monkey noises ?

You simply tried to make a point that was never mentioned just to be smart and tried to cover yourself with a question mark when you knew full well there was no mention of monkey noises to black Reading players.

I’m gonna go with English or Welsh (Insert derogatory word for gay person) 

As a Welshman it’s always tickled me that you can’t refer to the Irish as thick but it’s ok to say we shag sheep. 

I’d never heard the term till I joined the RAF in the 70’s

coatbridgejambo

worlds gone mad. 

Best not to speak to or say anything to anyone outside of your own home these days.

Never no who your offending   

AlphonseCapone
2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Every human on this planet share only 3 racial origins. And nowadays most have DNA of more than one of the 3.

There's more genetic diversity within Africa compared with the entire rest of the world. People in Nigeria and Zimbabwe are likely to differ more genetically from each other than either does from a European. Interesting fact for you. 

5 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

As a Welshman it’s always tickled me that you can’t refer to the Irish as thick but it’s ok to say we shag sheep. 

Also, Paddies, Taffs and Jocks - how come the English didn't get one. And no, '*****' is not acceptable

:gok:

SomethingAboutObua
11 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Where is mention of the monkey noises ?

You simply tried to make a point that was never mentioned just to be smart and tried to cover yourself with a question mark when you knew full well there was no mention of monkey noises to black Reading players.

CJGJ-Ask question if somethings racist on forum
Someone guesses it could be to do with monkey noises, because they're arrested for "nonsensical language"
CJGJ-WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG NO NO NO 

28 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Also, Paddies, Taffs and Jocks - how come the English didn't get one. And no, '*****' is not acceptable

:gok:

I was aware that people called us taffs thanks to Max Boyce. Remember him?

55 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Do you still shag sheep.

The old joke. 

What do you call a Welshman with a sheep under one arm and a goat under the other?

Bisexual.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Cardiff City want an apology from Reading after events that led to four Bluebirds fans being arrested by Thames Valley Police during their 1-1 FA Cup draw at Madejski Stadium on Saturday.

The force said the four were arrested for "alleged racially aggravated abuse" and later released under investigation.

Cardiff dispute those allegations.

They said: "Language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature".

The statement added: "We are extremely disappointed that Reading Football Club chose to label the behaviour as racist and homophobic.

"We also question their protocol and procedure on the day and welcome a full investigation into its use for the benefit of both our clubs and indeed British football."

Fans' chants led to a public address warning to Cardiff fans during the match.

Cardiff chief executive Ken Choo said in the statement on Monday: "The announcement made at Reading this weekend was both damaging and hurtful and we would welcome a public apology from them to our supporters."

He added: "Our football club prides itself on its respect of all people, irrespective of their background, beliefs or orientation.

"Cardiff is a diverse and welcoming, modern multicultural city and our supporters' actions reflect that at our games.

"We have a zero tolerance approach towards racist or homophobic behaviour and our supporters' conduct consistently reflects that."

Choo is confident that after police conclude their investigation, "the reputation of our club and fans will be fully and unequivocally restored".

In their statement, Cardiff said: "It is understood that the four Cardiff City supporters arrested and subsequently released prior to investigation were cited during the fixture for using what could be considered as unwarranted language.

"This language could be heard taking place between fans of both clubs and was of an anti-Welsh/anti-English nature."

Reading have been asked to comment.

The Football Association is investigating and has asked both clubs for their observations.

Yes it is. Close thread.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/racist-and-religious-hate-crime-prosecution-guidance

D5D978C4-2696-472E-AB04-9304E5EF2BA6.png

56 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

I do. And old Max is still with us, in his late 70s. Huge Rugby fan as I recall.

2 hours ago, SwindonJambo said:

I do. And old Max is still with us, in his late 70s. Huge Rugby fan as I recall.

I thought he was dead. Fair play

Bazzas right boot

Bit harsh. 

Classifying calling someone English as homophobic. 

Harsh on gay folk. 

They have enough to deal with. 

7 hours ago, HMFC86 said:

I’m positive a Hearts fan was arrested and charged at Celtic park for calling him a fat Welsh ****. 

Was it not the SC Semi that boy got done ?

Either way, it’s getting ridiculous.

Bazzas right boot

If (when) someone has called me a Scottish / ***** / jock ***** it does not concern me. 

It's because I am one.

I'd taken more offense to an Aberdeen fan who called me a tory loving diet hun a season ago.  

For example, Harston is Welsh, he is bald and he is a ***** ( he played for Celtic), so how is calling him a fat Welsh  baldy ***** offensive? 

It's a fact, only the ***** bit is open for debate. 

I don't think it's racist abuse but it's the way things are going. Rightly or wrongly it will get to the stage where you won't be able to shout or direct an insult at the football any more than you'd be allowed to use the same language in the street.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Of course its racist. 

If a nation is not part of a race what is it?

Problem here they picked on Cardiff without looking in the mirror 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Sir Gio said:

Of course its racist. 

If a nation is not part of a race what is it?

Problem here they picked on Cardiff without looking in the mirror 

Xenophobia? 

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, AndyNic said:

Ask the boy that called Magennis an Irish ***** and was charged with racist abuse...

Ridiculous.

Yip, made weirder by the fact he's technically brittish, not Irish. 

😂

Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Yip, made weirder by the fact he's technically brittish, not Irish. 

😂

That’s what riled him and why the charge was brought !

Cuckoo stuff !!

10 hours ago, jonesy said:

Does this mean we still can’t  call John Hartson a Welsh ****? Clarification needed.

Your username is welsh sounding aswell so why would you even want to call Hartson that?

but no need in any abusive language really is there 

"since when huv Welsh and English been races likes?"

Equality Act 2010:

Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

That's when.

Learn the law.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
25 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Your username is welsh sounding aswell so why would you even want to call Hartson that?

He was referring to an incident with a Hearts fan in 2005

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
2 hours ago, Boab said:

Was it not the SC Semi that boy got done ?

Either way, it’s getting ridiculous.

League game the week before, when Miller and Burchill gave us a win at CP.

30 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

**** off. 

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Cade said:

"since when huv Welsh and English been races likes?"

Equality Act 2010:

Race includes—

(a)colour;

(b)nationality;

(c)ethnic or national origins.

That's when.

Learn the law.

iam-the-law-judge-dredd-was-a-documentary-episode-58-50798157.png

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Correct. 

I'm gonna call Scott brown a "naughty wee so-so next time". 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Boab said:

That’s what riled him and why the charge was brought !

Cuckoo stuff !!

Remarkable. 

Ex member of the SaS
10 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Father was Welsh and was called Taff all his life ( even by my Mum. ) Taff is the river that runs through Cardiff ( for those that don't know. ) 

On the subject: What do you call a sheep tied to a lamppost in Wales?

A leisure center.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Xenophobia? 

They were having pretty rudimentary digs at one anothers race or nationality, a phobia is a fear, I doubt either are really scared.

World has changed for good, what was seen as ignorant, stupid name calling will forever now be racism