Interesting article on yesterdays match

damo

2 hours ago, damo said:

Yes, think we're all happy to see a positive approach with risks than a no risk negative approach. 

Aye... When you play like we are attempting to, you are asking questions of how good the opposition can be in possession while put under pressure.  We saw the 2nd best team in the league slightly rattled at moments and forced to go long many times. 

We are at the very beginning. There’ll be a fair bit fine tuning and questions to be answered by ourselves in different types of games but if yesterday was the core example of our main strategy, we should go on to do a bit damage. 

Saturday coming is more a test of the players mindset. Can we go away from home and play strongly against a normally stuffy opponent? We don’t necessarily have to be blinding, just become natural at being resilient and persistent like we used to be many moons ago in these matches. 

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
2 hours ago, corryjambo said:

Can you imagine Billy Dodds, Chick Young, Willie Miller, Pat Bonnar or any of our other "experts" writing? an article like that?                                              No neither can I.

FTFY

2 hours ago, 1953 said:

I never have any idea about the technical side of things so that article explained a lot. It also suggested that we won because we didn't let Rangers play their usual game rather than Hearts won because The Rangers were crap.

I've read comments like that from Rangers and Hibs fans since yesterday's game.

"Aye, OK, the Yams won, but only because Rangers were crap and it was a shite game."

The general consensus apart from those two is that it was a cracking, entertaining game, and Hearts played well."

48 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

I've read comments like that from Rangers and Hibs fans since yesterday's game.

"Aye, OK, the Yams won, but only because Rangers were crap and it was a shite game."

The general consensus apart from those two is that it was a cracking, entertaining game, and Hearts played well."

It was a superb game. Rangers were dangerous and showed glimpses of their quality and pace, but Stendel has the players buying into his system and has stopped them playing within themselves too. 

Our passing and our movement was excellent. Very enjoyable article that - seeing our shape highlighted was quite revealing. 

Hibs can delude themselves all they want, they know we've signed a fantastic striker and they know we have a coach with a lot more about him than the usual safe choices. 

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Fat Kent*

(*Fatter than me, so I'm allowed...   :thumbsup:)

Good read.

The players carried out the tactics to the letter. I was concerned tiredness might creep in towards the end of the game but the energy levels were excellent throughout. The manager and players deserve all the credit and praise for their efforts yesterday.

4 hours ago, damo said:

4 hours ago, davieholt said:

I won't pretend I understand the minutiae of the system or the thinking behind it but I enjoy watching it and it worked.

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Really good analysis. The pictures and arrows along with the explanations are ideal for helping fans understand how the system works. 

Good stuff. 

Two things that I noticed yesterday was that wherever the action was Hearts seemed to have lots of players nearby to mop up the second ball, and that Sevco's best chances were always as a result of us losing position high up the park. This would tie in with the article.

The importance of having players like Henderson and Moore who have pace and strength to keep the ball when necessary, while the team regains its shape, is something I now understand better. It's not just the players on a learning curve here but me as well.

Maybe that's three things.

Edited by upgotheheads

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

These planks need their fingers and thumbs to count to ten. 

Thick as shite with barely a brain cell between them. 

they have to get naked to count to 21, unless they're from Fife.

John mcCartney
22 minutes ago, Saxon Hearts said:

.The manager and players deserve all the credit and praise for their efforts yesterday.

Totally,a new dawn for the club is here.

**** the weedgie BBC,cheers for the insightful piece JJ

Lord Beni of Gorgie

To be fair Michael Stewart is not bad on the tactics screen. 

Whether its his own work, debatable,  but not bad at all. 

Not an easy style to play every week,  I like different plans for different games. 

Good deal of versatility in our front players suddenly to allow it

4 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

You can see why he shifted the likes of Berra and Whelan. You need to be very mobile at the back in case of the counter attack. Up front you need energy, control and accuracy of passing when in possession to maintain the high press. There’s also very little room for individuality as the whole team need to work together as one unit. 
When it’s working it will be exciting to watch.   I commented yesterday on the match thread, buckle up as this could be interesting. If it fails we could be punished if it succeeds it’s a winner. 
I like it!

You need all of that at the back too, and Berra has none of that these days, sadly. If he tried to play in this system, he'd be giving away possession almost every time he got the ball. 

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

JJ Bull is good at this sort of analysis in the Telegraph. However to counter balance his excellent articles they have that total Rsole Roddy Nasal Forsyth to make arse cheek feel at home. 

On us. It will take time to get it consistently right and defensively consistent players selection is pretty key especially in the middle (you only have to look Liverpool with CCD & Gomez) and they need to have pace. The more they train using the system and the more they buy into it the better it will become. 

This (gegenpressing) is exactly the reason I wanted a German coach. 

Who?

Enjoyed reading that. I dont see that sort of stuff.  I just go to games to watch and lose my shit from time to time, one way or the other.  But I appreciate that level of insight.  Cheers for posting, OP.

Nelly Terraces

The high press game relies on one key aspect, and that is guys you have doing it have to be in peak condition fitness wise and ensure they have pace, especially at the back. I can't see Stendel & his coaches letting anyone away with not being as aerobically fit as they possibly can get, luckily, the guys already look sharper than they were & understand what the style involves.

5 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Great read.

Im being entertained again after years of eye bleeding garbage. We will lose some of course, but as time goes on the players will learn and tighten up.

Boyce is absolutely massive and Sean Clare (possibly at fault for not picking up Kent at their goal) is an absolute revelation, playing superbly and couldn’t be happier for the lad.

we hope that all our bad luck with injuries turns. 

Clare slipped otherwise he would have closed him down (Soutter's touch didn't come off and caught him out). I thought we done well getting folk back as quick as we did but Rangers did well exploiting us with very accurate passing. That is the risk we take playing the pressing game, however the players worked their socks off to make it work.

I suspect some teams will get a right skelping if we have our shooting boots on.

30 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

You need all of that at the back too, and Berra has none of that these days, sadly. If he tried to play in this system, he'd be giving away possession almost every time he got the ball. 

Indeed you are right on the money. Stendel sussed him out very early on that playing in this system was sadly passed him now. 

Haringshairband
7 minutes ago, Groatallar said:

Clare slipped otherwise he would have closed him down (Soutter's touch didn't come off and caught him out). I thought we done well getting folk back as quick as we did but Rangers did well exploiting us with very accurate passing. That is the risk we take playing the pressing game, however the players worked their socks off to make it work.

I suspect some teams will get a right skelping if we have our shooting boots on.

Most teams passing won't be as accurate either so we'll win possession back quicker.

3 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

The high press game relies on one key aspect, and that is guys you have doing it have to be in peak condition fitness wise and ensure they have pace, especially at the back. I can't see Stendel & his coaches letting anyone away with not being as aerobically fit as they possibly can get, luckily, the guys already look sharper than they were & understand what the style involves.

Spot on NT, can you imagine Wheelan or Berra coping with that yesterday ( no neither can I) , JM imposter of a winger would have been fecked after 30mins.  We may still have a few bumps yet to overcome but DS has pulled this club back together after the last 3 years of mis management, culminating in allowing AM to manage us when we could have got in DS immediatley . 

Geniually believe DS can lead us into a period of success , all we need now is for CL / AM to depart this club ( followed by the granny ) and I will be extremely happy 

Really interesting read and the only article I've seen that echoes the actual game - we won because we deserved to win, not because Sevco lost it. Exactly what Gerrard said after the game too.

Full credit to Stendel and the team.

8 hours ago, Saxon Hearts said:

Good read.

The players carried out the tactics to the letter. I was concerned tiredness might creep in towards the end of the game but the energy levels were excellent throughout. The manager and players deserve all the credit and praise for their efforts yesterday.

I think this is where Stendel hopes that his style of football is appreciated by the fans and they can help give the players that little extra to keep going. When we’ve got a stadium like Tynecastle, so close to the pitch and the potential for a fantastic atmosphere you can see why it’s appealing for him. 

Fascinating article.

What stands out for me is the need for the players to fully understand a pretty intricate tactical plan as each of them are equally important in it being successful.  Those that adapt will develop no end technically and physically, that's pretty clear.

Im intrigued by which of the young lads Stendel rates and sees as being part of his plans going forward.  Clearly Henderson, Moore and Irving have caught his eye but I wonder what he's made of Cochrane, McDonald and Smith since they returned from loan and whether they can fit into his system.  There are also highly rated lads such as Stone, Watson, Logan, Hamilton, McGill, Ward, Schiavone, Kirk; be interesting to know whether any have caught Stendels eye with future in mind or even sooner if injuries/suspensions kick in.  He is known to prefer a young team and if guys like Moore can come in completely from the cold, then you have to assume that others will get their opportunity too.

Ricardo Quaresma

"Washington takes a step towards the box as Rangers take their new positions then switches it back to Boyce"

That's not correct though, is it?

A Rangers defender tried to clear it

Tom Hardy’s Dug
10 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

if you watch how we train how - the intensity of playing out the system is getting the guys fitter.

Kind of 2 in 1 benefit.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

When I first heard about this high press I did think - we’re going to be exposed all the time but fair dues.

Ai thought it was just guys staying tight to the other side and that it would be easy for teams to suss out and deal with.

But I see now it’s so much kore than harassing your opposite number. It’s about doing it in packs and it’s about where your team Mates are In positions as a whole so that your opponent literally has no space and no open passes a lot of the time.

Obviously your best technical teams can find a way around this but in Scotland - as long as we don’t just raise our game in the big games - there won’t be many teams that can cope.

What I took away from the article. Stendel has been here 8 weeks. The first 4 weeks he was basically seeing the players at most twice a week and whilst doing this he was trying to sort the mess we all knew was there. He had two weeks with them one on one over the winter break and we haven’t lost since and have only conceded one goal. Unreal transformation. I haven’t been this excited being bottom of the league in my life. 

13 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Has anyone coined the term Pound shop Klopp yet?

I'm copyrighting it!

Jurgen Co-op?

Pep Guardialdi?

Nelly Terraces
7 hours ago, fila said:

Spot on NT, can you imagine Wheelan or Berra coping with that yesterday ( no neither can I) , JM imposter of a winger would have been fecked after 30mins.  We may still have a few bumps yet to overcome but DS has pulled this club back together after the last 3 years of mis management, culminating in allowing AM to manage us when we could have got in DS immediatley . 

Geniually believe DS can lead us into a period of success , all we need now is for CL / AM to depart this club ( followed by the granny ) and I will be extremely happy 

Likewise mate. It's early days & we need to keep our feet on the deck but the early signs are very promising. Saturday is huge for us & wI'll give us a good indication if the new style of play can work in a different situation to Sunday. I'm optimistic for the 1st time in ages that we can start doing the business & longterm be where we should.

51 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

if you watch how we train how - the intensity of playing out the system is getting the guys fitter.

Kind of 2 in 1 benefit.

Haven't actually seen any footage mate but everyone's saying it's completely different & 'intensity' is the key change. Totally agree it's a win/win. Sure the players will be enjoying it a helluva load more as well.

I'm into distance running & very interested in differing training techniques. I know they're utterly different sports but would love a bit of time with Dan & his team to see how they go about getting players fitter (on top of the more 'intense' style of ball training).

1 hour ago, busby1985 said:

What I took away from the article. Stendel has been here 8 weeks. The first 4 weeks he was basically seeing the players at most twice a week and whilst doing this he was trying to sort the mess we all knew was there. He had two weeks with them one on one over the winter break and we haven’t lost since and have only conceded one goal. Unreal transformation. I haven’t been this excited being bottom of the league in my life. 

I'm with  you on your excitement. As others have said we could be punished by a long ball but let's face it in our league most teams lack the quality to do that. I'm gutted to be missing Perth on Saturday but looking forward to a midweek game against Killie, funny the way things can change so quickly.

That was the most animated at a game I have been since start of 2018 games, before the injuries.

My concern now is will we see the usual OF attempts to unsettle our players with chat of signing them appearing in the press.

Where will Michael Smith fit in as well, and do we have cover for Halkett and Souttar.

22 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

I'm such a fan of this style of football.  It is not perfect however and our high defensive line was exposed twice yesterday to almost costly outcomes.  I was impressed however how our defenders raced back and threw themselves into the challenge to recover once we were caught out.  They all had each others backs which I absolutely loved.  We will demolish teams by 3,4,5 or 6 goals but we will get caught out now and again also.  So glad we have our mojo back though.

Sadly he days hes not a fan of your posting style 🤣🤣