75 Years Ago Today - Auschwitz Liberated

Jambo-Jimbo

As the title says, 75 years ago today Auschwitz was liberated.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/27/auschwitz-survivors-to-return-after-75-years-memorial-ceremony

I haven't yet been to Auschwitz, but I do plan to go.

My wife has been and it had snowed overnight which just added to the bleakness of the place when they visited.

The World can never be allowed to forget the horrors of the Nazi regime.

I was there for a guided tour last year - it was a harrowing experience. The room full of human hair was particularly hard-hitting, and the sheer scale of camp 2 was mindblowing.

33 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I was there for a guided tour last year - it was a harrowing experience. The room full of human hair was particularly hard-hitting, and the sheer scale of camp 2 was mindblowing.

Not ashamed to admit but I was brought to tears on more than one occasion, Birkenau is a very scary place as well, a strange feeling surrounds it.

One of the few places I would like to have seen. Remember well the newsreels as it was all coming to light. Shocking to see children like yourself so starved and with almost blank expressions. Now when I see what would have been the same children old like I you just realise how simple your life has been compared wuth what they had to contend to recover.

luckyBatistuta

My wife is always at me for us to go over there on a trip, but as much as I would like to see it, I have no intentions of using up a holiday to bring such misery upon myself. A friend of mine who went said it was somewhere he was glad he’d visited, but he felt that they were ushered through it all too quickly and weren’t allowed to spend enough time looking at things.

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

The truly horrific thing is that man still hasn't learned anything.

Spot on John and some still believing to this day that it never happened too

When I was at college, Holocaust Memorial Day was always marked by a 2-hour speech given by a survivor of the camps.

Always to a packed room.

Went every year.

14 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

My wife is always at me for us to go over there on a trip, but as much as I would like to see it, I have no intentions of using up a holiday to bring such misery upon myself. A friend of mine who went said it was somewhere he was glad he’d visited, but he felt that they were ushered through it all too quickly and weren’t allowed to spend enough time looking at things.

You can walk around at your own pace if you want. There's no obligation to take a tour. I got the bus to and from Krakow and spent all day looking around by myself.

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Stokesy said:

You can walk around at your own pace if you want. There's no obligation to take a tour. I got the bus to and from Krakow and spent all day looking around by myself.

Didn’t know that, he said he did did the tour and because of that, I thought it was the only way around it👍

I found the guided tour very worthwhile. (via Discover Cracow) 

It took around 3-4 hours in total (not including travel) and was very informative. 

Edited by Ray Gin

17 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Spot on John and some still believing to this day that it never happened too

I suspect many of those who claim to disbelieve it are merely anti Semitic and/or anti Israel which is why the denial is so common among the Islamic segment.

An event that couldn't be any better documented. Claiming to disbelieve it is almost on a scale with claiming to disbelieve WW2 happened at all.

9 hours ago, Barack said:

Very surreal place to visit. Made annoying, by gaggles of school groups from Europe not taking in the significance of the place, and just shutting up for 5 minutes. Same with the Jewish Memorial in Berlin. Bought a guidebook and wandered around at our own pace.

Birkenau is ridiculous in scale too.

We didn't have enough time to go downstairs to the museum, we just spent a few minutes wandering around the blocks, even then we seen 2 or 3 people climbing up on the blocks taking selfies, they got shouted at by the guard.

Why can't some people just respect the area they are in.