Joel Pereira

jake

Starting to grow on me.

Comfortable to take the ball and another example I think of ,Stendal and the benefits he has brought.

Just one of the many but a good indication.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamhammer

• jake

• It should have been ten

• Cruyff

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He was really good today, best performance by a mile. His distribution was the most pleasing thing for me today. However, he just about gave me a heart attack when he came tanking out his box in the first half.

alwaysthereinspirit
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He was really good today, best performance by a mile. His distribution was the most pleasing thing for me today. However, he just about gave me a heart attack when he came tanking out his box in the first half.

Another great play by him up to the kicked clearance. He was left no choice but to come out for that ball. His clearance should have been into row Z. His headed clearance was also a great play. 

Amazing with the ball at his feet and some of the passes he made, especially the one to White in the first half, were class.

However he didn’t have many saves to make, which suits him. Still think we can get someone who is comfortable with the ball but can also make those saves you wouldn’t expect a keeper to make.

He’s starting to look more Man United than Torquay United finally. Playing behind a reliable defence is probably making a huge difference to his confidence.

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

Some great passing.

Sweeperesque

14 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Imagine Bobby attempting to come for that headed clearance??
He'd have been out his box then back in then out again, red card n pen.  Pereira might not be the greatest shot stopper but he doesn't fill me with the phear and you gotta love his passing and general distribution.  Fits the style Dan wants us to play and gets the ball out defence quicker and more accurately too.  I hope we can keep him coz I think he'll only get better

No doubt he is good on the ball, but he’s not a shot stopper. Maybe being harsh but at their goal, why did he try to save with his right hand, when it was fired to his left!?

His contribution with his distribution and reading the game is essential to the way we play. Problems have come about when he's faced shots on target however. 

He'll do just now but we need someone with similar attributes but a better shot stopper next season. 

I had a discussion with other fans on Twitter recently who were advocating bringing Craig Gordon back. Gordon would be totally unsuited to our style of play, as he can't distribute the ball anywhere near as effectively with his feet.

The high press requires a keeper who is very comfortable with the ball at his feet. Pereira is probably as good as we'll get with that skill set.

6 minutes ago, Garrincha said:

No doubt he is good on the ball, but he’s not a shot stopper. Maybe being harsh but at their goal, why did he try to save with his right hand, when it was fired to his left!?

Because he was trying to save it so went with the hand that would be nearest to the ball. Got his finger tips onto it, doubt he'd have even got near it with his left hand

There was one pass to White in the first half that he hit first time instead of taking a touch that to be fair to him was an inch perfect pass but by Christ my heart was in my mouth.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

There was one pass to White in the first half that he hit first time instead of taking a touch that to be fair to him was an inch perfect pass but by Christ my heart was in my mouth.

That's called excitement mate.

Tenaciousdandy

Heart was in my mouth when he skinned the rangers player then continued to move away from goal, I do like him tho he has personality 

Excellent with his feet again although Rangers only had a couple of shots on target so can't say too much about the shot stopping which is his weakness.

I dont think its any coincidence that he looks more settled and composed with Souttar and Halkett in front of him or to put it another way, the whole defense looks calmer without Berra

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Slow off his line again,  his passing is good though,  better coaching has to be helping but still desperately looking forward to a proper keeper arriving 

RudiSkacelsLeftPeg

Want to agree but he had no shots to stop today. Which is his weakness as someone already pointed out. 

I like him, but just don't think he is at the level we require. His passing/distribution is excellent but ultimately he needs to be making saves. 

Aye but Zlamal is better apparently

:rofl:

Pereira is absolutely fine for us. Yes a couple of iffy moments but with two mobile centre half's in front of him we've hardly been shipping goals.

RustyRightPeg

He's gradually improving week by week. I'm still yet to see him make a real shot stopping save rather than just gathering a lofted cross or whatever but he like the rest of the team are getting better and better.

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

While that ball was in the air I declared it both a shite baw and a great baw.

Not for me, he had a relatively easy day today, distribution was decent but he's never a shot stopper, has popcorn wrists. 

Thoght he should have got a hand to the shot from one of the zombies that gave them the lead. 

We can surely get a decent GK.. 

I think any keeper would show improvement from a month ago to now with a more assured defence in front of him.

Halkett was immense today.

So many players improving under Stendel and improving because our injury crisis is abating.

Great for the future.

1 minute ago, tartofmidlothian said:

He's like the Lidl version of Allison. That'll do me.

Two goals conceded in four games.

Think you might be proved wrong there.

If he was as good with his hands as he is with his feet he'd do. Perhaps Sievers will improve his shot stopping. Good game today but thought he could have been bigger at their goal

Fozzyonthefence
6 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

If he was as good with his hands as he is with his feet he'd do. Perhaps Sievers will improve his shot stopping. Good game today but thought he could have been bigger at their goal

I wouldn’t blame him for their goal.  Stats say he only had one other save to make but I can’t remember it to be honest.  That was down to some awful finishing not hitting the target and some great last gasp tackles.

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

I wouldn’t blame him for their goal.  Stats say he only had one other save to make but I can’t remember it to be honest.  That was down to some awful finishing not hitting the target and some great last gasp tackles.

No I wouldn't say I blame him for it. I blame the ******* awful referee for not giving a foul on Souttar but he could have made himself bigger

jamboinglasgow

Cant remember the last time I saw a goalie header a clearance. He is growing into the role and having a reliable defence is making a big difference

Mazey run in the first half aside, he did very well today. He had no chance at the goal, and showed exactly why it’s so important for us to have a “sweeper keeper”.

How many times did our defenders or midfielders not have a pass on, and instead found him. The difference between this and if the likes of Gordon was in goals for us, is that if we play it back to Gordon we are FORCED back. If we play it back to Pereira we are basically playing it to another outfield player. It’s in our game plan. 

If Gordon played today, we’d have been shakey at the back, playing pointless rushed long balls, and quite possibly would have lost. 

I think people will soon see his value to the team. 

SomethingAboutObua

Jury out on if his ability to make saves has improved, but his distribution is phenomenal, even a a couple of bad kicks he did today worked out for us because he's not wildly punting to the by line but actually trying to keep it in the pitch.

Any new keeper we get needs to be able to play with the ball at his feet and that's down to Pereira showing how much it can positively change your game. 

Btw that isn't going to be Craig Gordon...