Hugh Burns

132goals1958

Seen him at a sportmans dinner / stag doo ( I know strange type of thing) a good few years ago where he spoke of his "career". Was an entertaining speech where he certainly played up to his "Shuggy Burns Larkhall laddie" image but he also spoke very highly of Tommy Burns (signed him for Kilmarnock) and did seem to be genuinely upset over Burns death. Certainly surprised me.

I can't comment on what he is/was like as a person but I remember him doing a decent job in his short spell at Hearts. All this 'one of the worst Hearts players ever' talk is nonsense imo.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, Newton51 said:

He's palS with Gary Locke who sorts out his tickets.

The story that when he signed for hearts that rangers were so desperate to get rid of him that we had to take him to get McPherson

Story I was told, Souness had called Burns into his office, to discipline him. Burns got there first, let himself in, sat in Souness's chair, with his hands behind his head and his feet on his desk. Souness got to the office and Burns asked "what's the problem, boss?

He joined us not long after.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Perth to Paisley

Story going around at the time...

Souness, (still a relatively new manager) walked into the cafe at Ibrox and Burns was sitting with his feet on the table.

Souness apparently said something like "thats not how a Rsngers player should behave. Burns replied as quick as you like bit back "you can talk you are married to a catholic"

His days were numbered after that.

Sad thing is I wasn't totally surprised.

1 hour ago, Flimsy said:

I can't comment on what he is/was like as a person but I remember him doing a decent job in his short spell at Hearts. All this 'one of the worst Hearts players ever' talk is nonsense imo.

He was piss poor. I think your memory is dodgy.

1 minute ago, Cynic said:

Correct shipped out to Ayr United after a short time at Tynecastle.

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Scott asked him on the pitch at the HT draw.

"Rangers goal looked offside, Alex?"

"No, good goal"

Hearts fans take the hump.

He will always be a bluenose, a fantastic manager for us that deserves legend status.

But too many lose all sense of humour and see it as disrespectful.

:facepalm:

Not quite.

2 hours ago, Jodami said:

He was unsurprisingly very pro Sevco when Scott Wilson spoke to him at half time. Massive respect for Doddie after all he did for us but ultimately when put in that position he was always going to back the club he supports and who employ him in an ambassadorial role. He came over as a bit of an auld arse. Surprised the same mistake was made today. 

That's more how I remember it. Love Doddie and always well but that put him down a bit in my estimation.

As for Hugh Burns, a horrible, bigoted Rangers ******* who should never have been on that pitch today.  Hope he is ****ing spewing over the result.

Stephane Grappelli
2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Darren Jackson professional footballer, gave his best for whoever paid his wages.

Then there are professional bigots....

Well said.

2 hours ago, DETTY29 said:

Darren Jackson professional footballer, gave his best for whoever paid his wages.

Then there are professional bigots....

Story from that time was that he (HB) wouldn't get in the team bath if wee JC was in it. 

Hope we never ask him back.

Edited by Drumelzier
Clarity

It should have been ten
4 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Hope you enjoyed the result today, So you were only here for the hospitality and your team would go on to win in the second half . One of our worst signings ever so we must have been scraping the bottom of the barrel. A Hearts legend my arse.

Spot on :lol:

Shite player

4 hours ago, Randy Marsh said:

Never heard of him.  Had to google.

Same here.  I thought I'd heard about all the Hearts legends.

He must have been a secret legend.

4 hours ago, steviefrailspants said:

Cracking goal from distance into top corner - which Billy McNeil went on to describe as flukey or some such pish.

9:01. Not a fluke.

Edited by Gorgiewave

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, Flimsy said:

I'm the same as you Flimsy, met him in Germany on a pre season tour when him and Big Slim had just signed and the guy was brilliant company

WheatfieldWarrior
5 hours ago, Lfhearts said:

Would you all rather have had Darren Jackson........

Yes, he was a good speaker in hospitality whenever I've seen him.

Legs like tree trunks, only signed him because we had to if we wanted big Dave, hated Catholics and refused to have anything to do with JC until Zico marked his card (all hail Walter Kidd).

Burns was an idiot who couldn't give his all for anyone, bar Rangers, we flogged him to some other poor buggers, good riddance and he subsequently pissed his career up the wall.

That's my recollection.

7 hours ago, Cynic said:

I checked London Hearts and Hearts only lost 2 out the 27 games he played in and conceded 17 goals. He might well have had nothing to do with it, of course. I agree though that it was a bizarre choice to bring him back, can't understand what Hearts were thinking.

11 hours ago, Flimsy said:

He was absolutely hopeless.

I remember a match at Ibrox when Burns was at Hearts. Their player (can't remember who) went up against him, he could've tackled, fell on his arse and lay there as they scored. When their fans cheered the goal he had his hands up in the air cheering while still on his back. 

That's my two memories of Hugh Burns, the goal they scored at Ibrox and the John Colquhoun stuff. 

queensferryjambo
21 hours ago, jambonian said:

Was it Dunfermline he ended up at? 

I don't remember much about him after Hearts but sure he played against us a few years later in an away game at Douglas park against Hamilton.

20 hours ago, sadj said:

what happened with MacDonald? I missed that

MacDonald was just having a laugh with Gary Mackay at half time. Mackay said goal was off side and MacDonald laughed and said it was a great goal. The two of them were just having a bit of fun and there were a few jokes exchanged. Any Hearts fan who could get annoyed at it is clearly the type of person who wants to be offended. It was all just a bit of banter. 

Alex MacDonald loves Hearts and Rangers he spent huge parts of his life giving his all for both.

In fact he tearfully said the exact words 'I love Hearts' when he was inducted into our Hall of Fame. Hearts legend.

Just now, queensferryjambo said:

I don't remember much about him after Hearts but sure he played against us a few years later in an away game at Douglas park against Hamilton.

MacDonald was just having a laugh with Gary Mackay at half time. Mackay said goal was off side and MacDonald laughed and said it was a great goal. The two of them were just having a bit of fun and there were a few jokes exchanged. Any Hearts fan who could get annoyed at it is clearly the type of person who wants to be offended. It was all just a bit of banter. 

Alex MacDonald loves Hearts and Rangers he spent huge parts of his life giving his all for both.

In fact he tearfully said the exact words 'I love Hearts' when he was inducted into our Hall of Fame. Hearts legend.

Just had a quick look on Wiki...Burns' career went.....

Rangers 83-87 (52 apps, 4 goals)

*Hamilton (loan) 86-87 (5 apps, 1 goal)

Hearts 87-88 (24 apps, 0 goals)

Dunfermline 88-90 (15 apps, 0 goals)

*Fulham (loan) 89-90 (6 apps, 0 goals)

Hamilton 90-91 (33 apps, 6 goals)

Kilmarnock 91-93 (41 apps, 4 goals)

Ayr Utd 93-95 (58 apps, 5 goals)

Dumbarton 95-96 (11 apps, 1 goal)

Two under 21 caps 1985

If. It was Lockie who arrange for Burns to be the Hearrs legend at a Rangers game he deserves a boot in the baws for being so stupid , m8 or no m8 

queensferryjambo
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Just had a quick look on Wiki...Burns' career went.....

Rangers 83-87 (52 apps, 4 goals)

*Hamilton (loan) 86-87 (5 apps, 1 goal)

Hearts 87-88 (24 apps, 0 goals)

Dunfermline 88-90 (15 apps, 0 goals)

*Fulham (loan) 89-90 (6 apps, 0 goals)

Hamilton 90-91 (33 apps, 6 goals)

Kilmarnock 91-93 (41 apps, 4 goals)

Ayr Utd 93-95 (58 apps, 5 goals)

Dumbarton 95-96 (11 apps, 1 goal)

Two under 21 caps 1985

Makes sense just checked Londonhearts and the game I was thinking of was August 91 in the league cup and Burns played. We won 2-0 but seem to remember we were tragic that night. A wins a win :) 

Burns was playing for dunfermline reserves and was getting pelters from someone in the home support,  "useless orange b@##rd " etc . Final whistle goes and he bolts up the tunnel out into the street and squares up to the guy ,surprisingly never played for the pars 

again.  

I'd rather we didn't pander to the away support...I was ok with the McCoist as Hearty Harry as he was a likeable guy, but Hugh Burns at a Rangers game?

He used to own a coffee shop in Ayrshire where I once asked him what it was like to play for Hearts ?

Answer: 'nothing else compares after playing for Rangers' 🙈

Still can't believe we wasted a free meal on this toe-rag. Utterly embarrassing for him and the club.

SUGGESTION.......allow a random fan to do the draw and give him hospitality at the next home game.

The Real Maroonblood
3 hours ago, ramrod said:

If. It was Lockie who arrange for Burns to be the Hearrs legend at a Rangers game he deserves a boot in the baws for being so stupid , m8 or no m8 

IMO it was a huge misjudgment allowing this clown to appear at half time.

41 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

IMO it was a huge misjudgment allowing this clown to appear at half time.

It was - and not the kind of stupidity you'd expect of Hearts nowadays.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, HighTimes said:

It was - and not the kind of stupidity you'd expect of Hearts nowadays.

I wonder whose remit it is to decide who appears.

8 hours ago, jambonian said:

I remember a match at Ibrox when Burns was at Hearts. Their player (can't remember who) went up against him, he could've tackled, fell on his arse and lay there as they scored. When their fans cheered the goal he had his hands up in the air cheering while still on his back. 

That's my two memories of Hugh Burns, the goal they scored at Ibrox and the John Colquhoun stuff. 

Scored against us at ibrox 1985 .3-1    them,robbo put us one up he scored a pretty good goal for equaliser I burns,,  think,,sandy Clark,,,Walter Kidd,,  red carded,,,and ally mccoist also sent off....