Kobe Bryant dead

Jambomuzz

annushorribilis III
35 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

BBC apparently put a picture of LeBrone James instead of Kobe Bryant. 

Just seen it on Twitter. 

1 hour ago, annushorribilis III said:

US newcast refers to Bryants basketball team as "LA n*ggers" ? 

She didn't. She had referred to them as the Knicks earlier on. Went to do it again, caught herself and ended up saying Knickers.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Behind LeBron James and Michael Jordan for me. Casual fan so I am probably not as.informed as others 

I know all the names bud, but have no idea who was the best, probably would have guessed at Jordan, just because of all the retail stuff that he still continues to sell, but I’d definitely heard of him.

It's beginning to sound like the crash was weather-related.  The chopper was flying in dense fog.  Most other flights were grounded.

4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

It's beginning to sound like the crash was weather-related.  The chopper was flying in dense fog.  Most other flights were grounded.

This, and human error because the pilot was warned that he was flying too low seconds before radar contact was lost, so according to air traffic control recordings.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This, and human error because the pilot was warned that he was flying too low seconds before radar contact was lost, so according to air traffic control recordings.

It will probably turn out to be pilot error. Even experienced pilots in well-equipped aircraft can get disoriented when conditions are bad.  An avoidable tragedy.

Used to shit it a little whenever we were in near whiteout conditions, and lost sight of the ground. Our pilot for most of the near 1500hrs I spent in helicopter was excellent though.  Probably a top ten boy ever, in terms of hours spent piloting a 206L.  Still, I really didn't enjoy those moments, and of course crossing open water or thin, crappy ice.  Knew if he had to do an emergency landing, despite the emergency floats we'd be toast!

On one occasion I gave my boss a piece of my mind (later that evening) when he told a younger less experienced pilot to go up through a break in the cloud.  We were trying to get to an island 200 or so kms to the northwest but were forced to land eventually just 20km outside the base by low cloud/fog.  We had been 'inching' our way along raised beached 15ft above the ground, then landing for a bit to wait for it to clear, repeat all for about an hour and a half.  We were in radio contact with both basecamp and the two twin-otters who were headed up to where we were going to fuel cache.  They reported that above a ceiling of about a 1000ft it was sunny & blue skies for as far as they could see, and the cloud dissipated completely just south of where we were going.  So perfect surveying conditions up there!

Anyway, fog clears a bit, well enough to justify firing the engine up again and off we go but we can't really shake it enough to get any distance.  Time is getting on and we're already a few days behind schedule.  Lo & behold we get that wee window, so he instructs the pilot to fly up.  Yes, beautify blue skies and a thick blanket of white/grey fog below for as far as the eye could see.  Fuel, wasn't really a problem as we had another 2hrs worth and it was about an hour up there BUT what would we have done had he lost the engine?  As long as there ain't catastrophic damage to the rotors, you can still land just as you would had you power although you do have to pick a spot going down vertically.  The problem we had was that we couldn't see where the ground was, or what was under us!!

Amazing way to travel but aye, not the safest.

William H. Bonney
1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Never heard of him. Other than being a famous sportsman in his field was he known for other things?

He was suspected of rape a few years ago. Case dropped due to witness not testifying. 

scott herbertson
1 minute ago, Dino Velvet said:

He was suspected of rape a few years ago. Case dropped due to witness not testifying. 

Thanks

not really getting why his death is so special in the UK compared to others? that it gets so much media coverage but I guess i am more cynical than most. I can see getting upset about people who have done good works for others but not so much for people who are famous for being good at something

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Thanks

not really getting why his death is so special in the UK compared to others? that it gets so much media coverage but I guess i am more cynical than most. I can see getting upset about people who have done good works for others but not so much for people who are famous for being good at something

He's one of the biggest names in the world, not just in sport but anywhere. His death is reported on as big news because he is extremely famous worldwide. You are not more cynical than most. I guess you can say he has inspired countless young people from all backgrounds to follow their dreams and make it in professional sports if you want a 'real' reason, other than being good at something, for the reaction to his death. 

3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Thanks

He was one of the greatest players in basketball history and basketball is a huge sport in the USA.

That's it.

scott herbertson
11 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

He's one of the biggest names in the world, not just in sport but anywhere. His death is reported on as big news because he is extremely famous worldwide. You are not more cynical than most. I guess you can say he has inspired countless young people from all backgrounds to follow their dreams and make it in professional sports if you want a 'real' reason, other than being good at something, for the reaction to his death. 

9 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

He was one of the greatest players in basketball history and basketball is a huge sport in the USA.

That's it.

I see, thanks

Still can’t get my head around the extent of the Bbc main news item when the virus, climate change, the Australian fires and brexit are all happening 

I P Knightley
13 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

He apologised to her (for something like mis-reading her intentions (i.e. not taking 'no' for an answer)) and settled out of court,  a sizeable sum, rather than take on a civil case. 

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, westbow said:

Ok so not quite Mike Tyson or OJ Simpson but dodgier than Lance Armstrong?

I didn't think that Armstrong was rapey. He's on a different continuum.

Not quite Mike Tyson, Bill Cosby or Prince Andrew but dodgier than Gary Lineker or David Beckham.

On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:11, I P Knightley said:

He apologised to her (for something like mis-reading her intentions (i.e. not taking 'no' for an answer)) and settled out of court,  a sizeable sum, rather than take on a civil case. 

Very rapey behaviour but hey ho he's a top class sportsman so RIP and all that bollocks. 

• 2 weeks later...
jack D and coke
On 27/01/2020 at 22:48, ArcticJambo said:

Used to shit it a little whenever we were in near whiteout conditions, and lost sight of the ground. Our pilot for most of the near 1500hrs I spent in helicopter was excellent though.  Probably a top ten boy ever, in terms of hours spent piloting a 206L.  Still, I really didn't enjoy those moments, and of course crossing open water or thin, crappy ice.  Knew if he had to do an emergency landing, despite the emergency floats we'd be toast!

On one occasion I gave my boss a piece of my mind (later that evening) when he told a younger less experienced pilot to go up through a break in the cloud.  We were trying to get to an island 200 or so kms to the northwest but were forced to land eventually just 20km outside the base by low cloud/fog.  We had been 'inching' our way along raised beached 15ft above the ground, then landing for a bit to wait for it to clear, repeat all for about an hour and a half.  We were in radio contact with both basecamp and the two twin-otters who were headed up to where we were going to fuel cache.  They reported that above a ceiling of about a 1000ft it was sunny & blue skies for as far as they could see, and the cloud dissipated completely just south of where we were going.  So perfect surveying conditions up there!

Anyway, fog clears a bit, well enough to justify firing the engine up again and off we go but we can't really shake it enough to get any distance.  Time is getting on and we're already a few days behind schedule.  Lo & behold we get that wee window, so he instructs the pilot to fly up.  Yes, beautify blue skies and a thick blanket of white/grey fog below for as far as the eye could see.  Fuel, wasn't really a problem as we had another 2hrs worth and it was about an hour up there BUT what would we have done had he lost the engine?  As long as there ain't catastrophic damage to the rotors, you can still land just as you would had you power although you do have to pick a spot going down vertically.  The problem we had was that we couldn't see where the ground was, or what was under us!!

Amazing way to travel but aye, not the safest.

****. That. 
 :lol: 

I was in a chopper years ago and flew around the Pentlands and it was terrifying. I couldn’t take on a job where I had to do it all the time. 

4 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

****. That. 

I was in a chopper years ago and flew around the Pentlands and it was terrifying. I couldn’t take on a job where I had to do it all the time. 

If I had to be airlifted by Helicopter for any reason to save my life. I'd say"Just leave me here, thanks! " 

Mac_fae_Gillie

Use to fly over the Birdlip just south of Gloucester which has a 400ft drop as you fly over the air pressure under the Heli drops so the aircraft drops between 20 to 50 feet depending on days air pressure, lots of fun but if you got dodgy guts less so. But overall love flying in Helicopters done 1400hrs.

Remember my first time ever was in a Chinook out of Winchester to Salisbury plain, you sit to the sides and as it banks your either on your back or looking at the ground thru the opposite window with the tail down following the roads fantastic experience.

11 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

****. That. 

Aye, it was exhilarating and especially in the HIgh Arctic with the big mountains and glaciers but for a lot of the time it was plain boring, and when weather didn't cooperate, just plain scary.  Coming to the end of  survey line, we'd be flying maybe a hundred feet above teh ground and then suddenly the land would disappear as we hit the fiord, and it dropped away 2-4000 feet below, followed by a steep banking as the pilot turned to fly south or north to the next transect 5km away.  Skitters time! :lol:

They're amazing contraptions!