Craig Halkett

The Internet

20 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Do Halkett and Souttar both usually play right centre half? Thought Souttar looked a wee bit uncomfortable first half passing out from the left

Not sure about Halkett at Livi but before now they’ve both played right centre half for us. 

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

you mean after coming back from a long injury ? Yeah that seems fair and not reactionary at all 🙄

Halkett has been a great signing. 

No he hasn't. So far he's been good, a solid 7/10 signing.

He can easily become a great one though if he keeps Saturday's performances up.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

To be fair to Cruyff, he’s not the only one to jump to rash conclusions when it comes to players after some of the utter tripe that has been served up this season. I myself said that Bozanic would make my worst ever Hearts XI. But he’s another player who’s improved significantly under Stendal.

On topic: Halkett was indeed brilliant and is another who seems to be thriving under DS.

On Bozanic, I still don't think he is or will be even a good enough squad player for us, thinking as a top 4 club. I like him because he works hard and his attitude is correct but even under Stendel, he's not good enough imo. 

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Tbf, that was Halkett's best game in a Hearts Jersey. 

He deserved to be slaughtered for his previous form and he deserved to be praised for that performance. 

He has been shite this season. In fact in many games, diabolical. I think his performances v Ross County, Hamilton, Motherwell and Rangers earlier in the season are some of the worst I've ever seen from a Hearts Centerhalf and tbf, the highlights will back that up. 

He has to play like that everyweek at Hearts. Hopefully he will. 

Aye too many folk have simple attitudes to these things. If they defend the player when they are quite obviously not performing and then the player starts performing, they make out everyone was wrong and they were correct all along. No, you were still wrong, at the time. 

It's when it goes too far. Difference between, Halkett has been shite and Halkett is shite. 

13 minutes ago, Dazo said:

you mean after coming back from a long injury ? Yeah that seems fair and not reactionary at all 🙄

Halkett has been a great signing. 

He's a future Hearts captain in the making - He's a solid centre back.

Looks to me that he's shifted a fair bit of weight since Stendel has ended the holiday club but he's not the only one looking fitter - the whole lot of them look fitter, stronger & sharper.

6 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

On Bozanic, I still don't think he is or will be even a good enough squad player for us, thinking as a top 4 club. I like him because he works hard and his attitude is correct but even under Stendel, he's not good enough imo. 

Aye too many folk have simple attitudes to these things. If they defend the player when they are quite obviously not performing and then the player starts performing, they make out everyone was wrong and they were correct all along. No, you were still wrong, at the time. 

It's when it goes too far. Difference between, Halkett has been shite and Halkett is shite. 

Sorry for this old cliche but Bozanic is a decent squad player. The point I was making is that I said he was one of the worst Hearts players I’ve ever seen but I realise now that I was harsh and that he isn’t.

7 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Sorry for this old cliche but Bozanic is a decent squad player. The point I was making is that I said he was one of the worst Hearts players I’ve ever seen but I realise now that I was harsh and that he isn’t.

Look at Sean Clare, even Aidy White before he went off injured. Everyone's improved under Stendel. 

15 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nail on head. 

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Look at Sean Clare, even Aidy White before he went off injured. Everyone's improved under Stendel. 

Absolutely agree.

22 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Halkett needs to play at the level we saw on Sunday for the rest of the season. Until he does, I wouldn't say his future at Hearts as a first choice pick under Stendel is secure. He still has a lot to prove.

I really hope he does kick on now because I had high hopes for him at the start of the season. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Players shouldn't come back from injury overweight.

Injured players put weight on all the time, maybe he came back to early ? His weight wasn’t an issue, he clearly wasn’t fit enough to return. 

Souttar has been excellent since he came back in. For a player to be out so long I would've expected him to be used sparingly or at least subbed to keep him fresh and not overdo it. All credit to him. I'd still like to see a solid centre-half alongside him. Halkett has been very decent recently but for me he does like to get forward, no problem with that however it can leave us exposed at the back. I'd like to see a Souttar "new player" duo with Halkett just in front of them. That way he gets the chance to do defensive duties as and when needed but also link defence and midfield/upfront without the risk of exposure behind him. Anyone with any pace could and will catch us out at the back if we're so high up the pitch. We were lucky Defoe was playing and not someone else, someone a lot younger. But until we find a solid centre-half, Souttar/Halkett is ok...for now. Still believe Dikamona has something to offer, big, solid and an able back-up.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, iantjambo said:

Fair enough. We'll need to disagree on him being a decent squad player (for the rest of this year I agree though, but should look to move on in the summer imo). 

Excellent on Sunday, he should be judged on what he does from now on, now that we have a decent coach and system and he is getting back to full fitness and match sharpness. He even showed good pace on a couple of occasions. Would not swop Souttar and Halkett for any other pairing in this league on Sunday's showing. Both good footballers and they are new to each other, so further improvement can be expected. Well done CH.

11 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Excellent on Sunday, he should be judged on what he does from now on, now that we have a decent coach and system and he is getting back to full fitness and match sharpness. He even showed good pace on a couple of occasions. Would not swop Souttar and Halkett for any other pairing in this league on Sunday's showing. Both good footballers and they are new to each other, so further improvement can be expected. Well done CH.

All the players should be judged on how they perform under Stendel.

Our new manager hasn’t put a foot wrong In selecting the players he’s decided aren’t up to it..... surprise packages who’ve really stepped up for him are Clare and Irving.

Halkett always has good performances in him.....he’s was just being dragged down along with most of the others.

This is hopefully a new era for the squad and whilst there will always be the urge to look back it’s probably best we don’t.

Edited by DH1986

40 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Injured players put weight on all the time, maybe he came back to early ? His weight wasn’t an issue, he clearly wasn’t fit enough to return. 

So being overweight doesn't affect players? On the one hand he's not fit enough but on the other his weights not an issue? That makes absolutely no sense.

As for injured players putting on weight all the time? Surely that's a bad thing. I'd have thought keeping to a fit weight wouldn't be too much for the club to ask.

54 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So being overweight doesn't affect players? On the one hand he's not fit enough but on the other his weights not an issue? That makes absolutely no sense.

As for injured players putting on weight all the time? Surely that's a bad thing. I'd have thought keeping to a fit weight wouldn't be too much for the club to ask.

Being overweight during injury while obviously isn’t a good thing if the injury is such that you can’t train I’d say it’s impossible not to put weight on. As you get over the injury you get your fitness and weight back under control. You can easily be not fit enough if you’ve been brought back into the 1st team to early. Not sure what’s hard to grasp about that.

4 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Being overweight during injury while obviously isn’t a good thing if the injury is such that you can’t train I’d say it’s impossible not to put weight on. As you get over the injury you get your fitness and weight back under control. You can easily be not fit enough if you’ve been brought back into the 1st team to early. Not sure what’s hard to grasp about that.

It just seems inaccurate to me. I've seen players while they were actually still injured and they didn't look overweight. If your saying it's ok for players to come back from injury overweight then that's wring is it not? What you seem to be saying regarding Halkett is he returned too soon so where are you getting that information from?

22 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It just seems inaccurate to me. I've seen players while they were actually still injured and they didn't look overweight. If your saying it's ok for players to come back from injury overweight then that's wring is it not? What you seem to be saying regarding Halkett is he returned too soon so where are you getting that information from?

I’m not saying it’s ok but I do understand that with some players it’s unavoidable. Some players like everyone else really need to work to maintain their weight. Being injured can make this impossible. That’s exactly what I am saying regarding his comeback but it is only my opinion and again is backed up by his form, weight and fitness looking far better recently. How many reserve games did he play before he was chucked in ? I think our league position meant him being put in before he was ready. 

anyway good player and great signing. 

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I’m not saying it’s ok but I do understand that with some players it’s unavoidable. Some players like everyone else really need to work to maintain their weight. Being injured can make this impossible. That’s exactly what I am saying regarding his comeback but it is only my opinion and again is backed up by his form, weight and fitness looking far better recently. How many reserve games did he play before he was chucked in ? I think our league position meant him being put in before he was ready. 

anyway good player and great signing. 

yeah fair enough. Was just a bit disappointed to see him coming back overweight. Everything you say does make sense and I've been really pleased with his form of late.

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

yeah fair enough. Was just a bit disappointed to see him coming back overweight. Everything you say does make sense and I've been really pleased with his form of late.

I was as well to be fair but that didn’t make him shite as others have said, he was clearly not fit. Absolutely him and Souter up there as a centre half pairing. 

Edited by Dazo

fabienleclerq
5 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think more than in part due to our style of play. A pressing game with full backs pushed high up the park encourages, even forces, the opposition to play long balls over the centre backs. It's a high risk way of playing and our supporters are going to have to get used to that. There was a good analysis of it on BBC Radio sportsound after the game. The consensus was to play that style you need centre backs who are comfortable defending one-on-one and two-on-two. They felt that in Souttar and Halkett we have that and I agree. Sure there is maybe a bit of further improvement to come as they get to know each other's game and this style, but I fully expect chances to be created against us in the same way for the rest of the season. I don't expect to see games where the opposition don't get a single good chance against us in the way we sometimes did under Levein, but we should be creating far more.

We absolutely should create more chances and I get its a risk reward style. If defoe was quicker he could've had 3 at least though. 

Against St Johnstone I can almost guarantee they will sit right in and go long over the top. They won't play into our hands like rangers did trying to play it out. 

Captain Canada
5 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

I think so. Agree that Souttar struggled a bit with distribution as a result of having to move it on to his right foot and shift his body position before moving it out to White. That was certainly the case when one of his passes was charged down in the first half.

It was noticeable at times in the Airdrie game too. Soapy isn't comfortable at all using his left foot. I think he'll get away with it and hopefully will work on improving this in training. 

I'm not having a pop at Souttar here but I do find it strange how so many professional footballers are one-footed. My son is 12 and has only played for a few years but already he is comfortable using both feet which really helps him in games. It's definitely something that can be improved with practice. 

6 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Absolute class on Sunday. Unsung hero imo.

His effort poking the ball through for the first Hearts goal was brilliant.

Summed up Daniel’s high press when it was our central defender 30 yard from their goal that set up the move that led to our equaliser! 👍

38 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

It was noticeable at times in the Airdrie game too. Soapy isn't comfortable at all using his left foot. I think he'll get away with it and hopefully will work on improving this in training. 

I'm not having a pop at Souttar here but I do find it strange how so many professional footballers are one-footed. My son is 12 and has only played for a few years but already he is comfortable using both feet which really helps him in games. It's definitely something that can be improved with practice. 

Good for him. I remember when  we had a teacher who used to coach our football team and she used to ask us to play with a "gym shoe" which in those days were very thin on your stronger foot and a normal boot on the weaker one. The idea being that it would be a bit sore to kick the heavy ball as they were then so it would encourage you to use your weaker foot.

It seemed to work as a lot of the players improved and became two footed.

Getting rid of Berra was always going to improve us. Just dropping Berra and playing nobody would have improved us.

We went toe to toe with the 2nd best team in the country and didn't look remotely out of place. I'll take that effort and commitment from Heart's every day of the week.

The rest of you can nit pick and keep searching for a scape goat to foam and grizzle at.

6 minutes ago, Noah Claypole said:

Getting rid of Berra was always going to improve us. Just dropping Berra and playing nobody would have improved us.

We went toe to toe with the 2nd best team in the country and didn't look remotely out of place. I'll take that effort and commitment from Heart's every day of the week.

The rest of you can nit pick and keep searching for a scape goat to foam and grizzle at.

The whole team (including subs) played well on Sunday....

that’s the WHOLE team no exceptions!

25 minutes ago, Cruickshank for Scotland said:

Summed up Daniel’s high press when it was our central defender 30 yard from their goal that set up the move that led to our equaliser! 👍

There was also a lovely through pass from Halkett leading up to the 2nd goal, before the ball went out left.

Everyone has improved immeasurably under Stendel l.  Even me.  When I'm walking along the road these days and dopey old gits come shambling along towards me, I'm sidestepping them with a panache that I simply didnt possess when levein was in charge. 😂

The White Cockade
On 28/01/2020 at 08:11, Cruyff said:

Tbf, that was Halkett's best game in a Hearts Jersey. 

He deserved to be slaughtered for his previous form and he deserved to be praised for that performance. 

He has been shite this season. In fact in many games, diabolical. I think his performances v Ross County, Hamilton, Motherwell and Rangers earlier in the season are some of the worst I've ever seen from a Hearts Centerhalf and tbf, the highlights will back that up. 

He has to play like that everyweek at Hearts. Hopefully he will. 

Sorry but that is a load of crap

he was very good from the start of the season with a great attitude, winning mentality and scored important goals

he then got a bad injury and was out for a while

Came back from injury without any reserve games and wasn't 100% match fit and took a few games to get back into it but playing beside a completely off form Berra didn't help

now back to his best again and looking great

Shite and diabolical?

Kickback at it 's worst

he looked a lot fitter, lost the gut he gained during his time out injured. looks like he is buying into stendels ideas and putting in the effort. it will take time for him and souttar to form a proper partnership and to fully understand the new tactics. 

John mcCartney
On 28/01/2020 at 15:35, Kiwidoug said:

Everyone has improved immeasurably under Stendel l.  Even me.  When I'm walking along the road these days and dopey old gits come shambling along towards me, I'm sidestepping them with a panache that I simply didnt possess when levein was in charge. 😂

we`re all on the up chief,understand what your banging on about

On 28/01/2020 at 09:25, iantjambo said:

Thought he actually looked better in the team when everyone around him had downed tools and he was giving 100%.  Now that everyone is giving 100% his lack of quality (to my mind) is much, much more obvious...

Guest ToqueJambo
On 28/01/2020 at 05:45, fabienleclerq said:

We absolutely should create more chances and I get its a risk reward style. If defoe was quicker he could've had 3 at least though. 

Against St Johnstone I can almost guarantee they will sit right in and go long over the top. They won't play into our hands like rangers did trying to play it out. 

Almost every other team outwith the OF will do that if we play the same style. The St J game will be a good litmus test to see how that style works or how Stendel might alter it. Naismith (and Irving) will be even more important in those games as we'll need someone to unlock defences. We probably do need another more creative midfield option for that too.

fabienleclerq
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Almost every other team outwith the OF will do that if we play the same style. The St J game will be a good litmus test to see how that style works or how Stendel might alter it. Naismith (and Irving) will be even more important in those games as we'll need someone to unlock defences. We probably do need another more creative midfield option for that too.

Exactly. We've chased Celtic under levein at Tynecastle and got a result the hard part is when the onus is on us to attack. Away from home it might be easier mind you.

57 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

he was very good from the start of the season with a great attitude, winning mentality and scored important goals

Came back from injury without any reserve games and wasn't 100% match fit and took a few games to get back into it but playing beside a completely off form Berra didn't help

Shite and diabolical?

Kickback at it 's worst

Now that is a load of crap. He was utter keek v Hamilton, v Ross County, v Motherwell at home, the highlights of those games will more than back that up as true. 

His performance v Motherwell in the 3-2 defeat at Tynie, was and still remains one of the worst performances from a Hearts center back that I have ever seen. He was atrocious. 

He's looked better under Stendel. He was howfing v St Johnstone in Stendels first game but has gradually improved, like Clare, Bozanic and others have. Sundays performance was his best for Hearts. Still has a lot to prove though, he needs to play at that level everyweek. 

1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

Shite and diabolical?

Kickback at it 's worst

This

9 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Now that is a load of crap. He was utter keek v Hamilton, v Ross County, v Motherwell at home, the highlights of those games will more than back that up as true. 

His performance v Motherwell in the 3-2 defeat at Tynie, was and still remains one of the worst performances from a Hearts center back that I have ever seen. He was atrocious. 

He's looked better under Stendel. He was howfing v St Johnstone in Stendels first game but has gradually improved, like Clare, Bozanic and others have. Sundays performance was his best for Hearts. Still has a lot to prove though, he needs to play at that level everyweek. 

You’ve definitely got it for Halkett.  The guy has came from Livingston to a club with bigger expectation. Barely half a season(just over now I suppose) and he was injured for a chunk. 

I think he’s always had good attributes about him as much as his early shortcomings but that couldn’t be said of others who’ve been in the door far longer than him.  

He’s also had to suffer like every other player at Hearts under the dour, negative environment he walked into. I agree he’s like any player, he needs to find consistency and a level it looks like he’s settled into that comes with authority,  but early signs under Stendel are good. A manager expressing belief and giving players the platform to show if they can step up responsibly.  He has so far. 

Edited by Debut 4

On 28/01/2020 at 09:19, E3OBE said:

He's a future Hearts captain in the making - He's a solid centre back.

Looks to me that he's shifted a fair bit of weight since Stendel has ended the holiday club but he's not the only one looking fitter - the whole lot of them look fitter, stronger & sharper.

That's the fittest that I've seen any hearts side for a very long time,,,and less ball wasting , and no howfing up the pitch ?   Which is perfect,, a good beginning, but still a work in process,    onwards and upwards 🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦🇶🇦👍👏

9 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

You’ve definitely got it for Halkett.  The guy has came from Livingston to a club with bigger expectation. Barely half a season(just over now I suppose) and he was injured for a chunk. 

I think he’s always had good attributes about him as much as his early shortcomings but that couldn’t be said of others who’ve been in the door far longer than him.  

He’s also had to suffer like every other player at Hearts under the dour, negative environment he walked into. I agree he’s like any player, he needs to find consistency and a level it looks like he’s settled into that comes with authority,  but early signs under Stendel are good. A manager expressing belief and giving players the platform to show if they can step up responsibly.  He has so far. 

Not really. I originally thought he was a good signing and high hopes for him. 

I've told it exactly how it was with Halkett. He has been criticised because he's been one of our poorest players this season, the video evidence is all there to support that in abundance. The reason we’ve conceded so many goals and lost so many games, finding ourselves in 12th, has been mainly down Berra and Halkett. 

He was even dreadful v both St Johnstone at home and Hamilton away under Stendel but since the Aberdeen game has looked much better. 

I still think his coats on a shoogly peg though. I think Stendel has had him in his 'maybe' punt pile when he came in but has given him a chance. It was either him or Berra to go.

Souttar was always going to be first pick and if we had brought in another Center back, they, would be coming in to play alongside Souttar, replacing Halkett. Come the summer that may still be the case. 

If he plays like he did on Sunday everyweek though then I see no reason for us to bring in another first choice Centerhalf. It's the same for Clare and others. Clare has improved immeasurably under Stendel at Right Back and if he continues to produce that form then it'll be his spot long term. 

Been a good signing but central defenders will require real pace under the new system, got away with it because Defoe has not got that, only a matter of time before teams just miss out the midfield and hit balls behind defenders hence the reason he had to get rid of Berra no chance of him getting back, keeper will have to be very alert as well

so far so good Saturdays game will be very intresting

On 28/01/2020 at 08:51, hmfc_liam06 said:

No he hasn't. So far he's been good, a solid 7/10 signing.

He can easily become a great one though if he keeps Saturday's performances up.

A 7/10  that will get goals" and bust a gut,, great signing '  maybe not showing potential as yet ,, but it will come, him souttar Smithy , and others will get us out of this shite write in ,,,looking forward to next season,,and remainder of this one   🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🙌

5 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Shite and diabolical?

Kickback at it 's worst

Indeed . Kind of Cambodian year zero mindset often displayed on here