Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

On 23/02/2020 at 21:50, NANOJAMBO said:

Dont panic yet. The affected towns in Lombardy are all closed off. You'll know well before you travel if its spread. Rome is a long way from Milan so may not be affected. I will check with my daughter as she flew out of Rome tonight so i dont know if anyone's being screened down here. 

We cancelled this morning mate, our Airbnb’s have let us cancel no bother with full refund and we will obv lose the flight money from Ryanair if the UK government doesn’t ban travel before 23rd March. Out pocket 200 just now, scunnered as had been looking to week in Italy for 6 months, thankfully we never pre booked anything. I’d have went no problem as I can work from home if needed on return she can’t and gets statuary sick pay so just not worth it financially 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, toonland said:

We cancelled this morning mate, our Airbnb’s have let us cancel no bother with full refund and we will obv lose the flight money from Ryanair if the UK government doesn’t ban travel before 23rd March. Out pocket 200 just now, scunnered as had been looking to week in Italy for 6 months, thankfully we never pre booked anything. I’d have went no problem as I can work from home if needed on return she can’t and gets statuary sick pay so just not worth it financially 

You won't be the only folks cancelling their trips, especially if it keeps spreading, the travel industry is going to take a massive hit over this.

Jambo in Japan

Elementary, Junior High and Senior High schools across Japan due to be closed on Monday for the remainder of the school year until early April. Looking likely that staff will still be required to attend as per protocol in things like Typhoons but will probably find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Dagger Is Back
4 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Fair enough.

But if people then trust conspiracy theorists? Over scientists. And what is their agenda? 

I hear you Mikey. I don’t trust any of them. 

Shanks said no
19 minutes ago, Jambo in Japan said:

Elementary, Junior High and Senior High schools across Japan due to be closed on Monday for the remainder of the school year until early April. Looking likely that staff will still be required to attend as per protocol in things like Typhoons but will probably find out for sure tomorrow morning.

Will that not be a bit of a nightmare for their parents?

26 minutes ago, Jambo in Japan said:

Considering most of the guys in the Japanese Gov assume all females are stay at home mums, they probably think it will have little impact on working families.

Seems more like a political move than one that will actually contain the virus. It's not like the families off school are all going to stay at home.

Chinatown in San Francisco is undergoing economic hardship as moronic non-asian people are avoiding it.

In Birmingham (UK), a woman was knocked unconscious by a man when trying to prevent a chinese woman being racially abused.

Racial abuse against people of asian appearance has increased across the globe.

Never mind if the asians in question have been anywhere near Wuhan or any other outbreak hotspot.

:wtf: People are utter bawbags.

4 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Chinese health officials say about 14% of patients in Guangdong province who had the Coronavirus but recovered and were discharged from hospital have tested positive for the virus again 

or it never went away but sulked in the corner till the coast was clear😬

Jambo in Japan
8 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Will that not be a bit of a nightmare for their parents?

For Elementary school kids, I'm hearing that day care/after school facilities are still allowed to stay open. For the high schools, it'll be interesting to see how they define a school closure. Of course for a Typhoon the school usually only closes for a day, causing only minimal disruption but if they treat the closure like a school holiday, students are still required to come and do their extra curricular activities (The football team at this school do 3 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year...). Despite this obviously defeating the point of a quarantine I would not be at all surprised if they choose to do this since staff are required to attend anyway.

8 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Considering most of the guys in the Japanese Gov assume all females are stay at home mums, they probably think it will have little impact on working families.

Seems more like a political move than one that will actually contain the virus. It's not like the families off school are all going to stay at home.

At the moment they're only asking schools to close, it's not like business or other workplaces are being given the same instruction so I don't see how this is going to help contain the virus, which in my opinion as no health expert by any means, is probably beyond being contained. I think you're right, it's a political move to satisfy the masses that they're dealing with the situation.

I wouldn't put much trust in any information from the Chinese government. I have questions about the fatality rate. I saw a BBC article today which said over 300 confirmed cases in Italy with 12 dead.

Lets call the over 300 number 400. If there are 12 dead out of 400 cases you're talking about a 3% fatality rate which is far higher than flu and far higher than anyone has admitted to.

AlphonseCapone
On 26/02/2020 at 22:29, scottishguy said:

A woman who works beside my other half, who's parents returned from Italy have been diagnosed with the virus, so it's in Scotland now.

Seems this wasn't the case? 

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I wouldn't put much trust in any information from the Chinese government. I have questions about the fatality rate. I saw a BBC article today which said over 300 confirmed cases in Italy with 12 dead.

Lets call the over 300 number 400. If there are 12 dead out of 400 cases you're talking about a 3% fatality rate which is far higher than flu and far higher than anyone has admitted to.

I don't know. Iran has a significantly higher fatality rate over 10%. I think the issue is with the denominator. No one really knows how many cases there are out there and reported figures will be biased towards more severe cases which have higher risks of complications. 

2 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Seems this wasn't the case? 

I don't know. Iran has a significantly higher fatality rate over 10%. I think the issue is with the denominator. No one really knows how many cases there are out there and reported figures will be biased towards more severe cases which have higher risks of complications. 

Find out eventually, everyone believes different reports of stories, I'll trust friends before any government or press.

6 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't think 3/400 people is enough to give a definitive fatality rate. 

8 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

They mentioned on Sky News yesterday that Kings College (I think it was) had disputed the Italian figures, basically the Italians had reported 500 cases & 14 deaths, but if the mortality rate is the 1% as being reported then there would need to be at least 1400 cases, there was no suggestion that the mortality rate was being under-reported but more that the number of infections was being under-reported.

You have to remember that the symptoms can range from mild to serious and everything inbetween, thus meaning that there could be an unknown number of people with nothing more than a cough & a sniffle which they think they have the cold but could in fact be Covid-19, who are then unwittingly spreading the virus around the general population.

This would explain why there has been so many cases in other parts of Europe which all seem to have originated either from people from Northern Italy or who have been in Northern Italy recently.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

18 hours ago, ...a bit disco said:

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Hail, hail...

I'll be there 2 weeks today , as long as I get there not too fussed about coming back  :)

Cycling's UAE tour cancelled after two Italian riders test positive for Covid-19.

The entire peloton and all support staff are now having to be tested and isolated, including Chris Froome and Mark Cavendish.

Some riders who started the UAE tour left after a few days to take part in the UCI World Track Championships in Berlin.

So all of the competitors of THAT may now be in danger as well.

And all the spectators.

And everybody else in Berlin.

:turmoil:

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, scottishguy said:

Find out eventually, everyone believes different reports of stories, I'll trust friends before any government or press.

Fair enough, there could be a simple explanation for the delay in reporting it. However, especially now there have been cases in every other country of the UK, I can't see a reason why it won't be reported today if it's case. 

jack D and coke
18 hours ago, Cade said:

Chinatown in San Francisco is undergoing economic hardship as moronic non-asian people are avoiding it.

In Birmingham (UK), a woman was knocked unconscious by a man when trying to prevent a chinese woman being racially abused.

Never mind if the asians in question have been anywhere near Wuhan or any other outbreak hotspot.

I haven’t ate a Chinese since it started I’ll be honest. They must be feeling the pinch. 

AlphonseCapone
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I haven’t ate a Chinese since it started I’ll be honest. They must be feeling the pinch. 

Purposely? 

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Cycling's UAE tour cancelled after two Italian riders test positive for Covid-19.

The entire peloton and all support staff are now having to be tested and isolated, including Chris Froome and Mark Cavendish.

Some riders who started the UAE tour left after a few days to take part in the UCI World Track Championships in Berlin.

So all of the competitors of THAT may now be in danger as well.

And all the spectators.

And everybody else in Berlin.

:turmoil:

Aw crap. We've got a lads weekend in Berlin in June

Dagger Is Back

Newcastle United banned hand shakes at morning training. Switzerland banned events involving more than 1000 people

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Just now, Barack said:

Here in Wales now.

I've put my affairs in order. JKB can bid on my organs at the appropriate time.

I'll clear it with Admin.👍🏻

Keep your virus ridden offal to yourself. :getout:

AlphonseCapone
Just now, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely. 

I don't get this man. Makes absolutely zero sense. What's the thinking? 

8 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Mental man. I'll be having a Chinese tonight, as per usual on a Friday.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Aw crap. We've got a lads weekend in Berlin in June

You’ll be fine by then.

I’ve got one there in September.

19 hours ago, Cade said:

Not surprising.    Glasgow bin lorry crews were abused soon after the bin lorry incident deaths.     

Morons are morons.

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Ok I’ll explain. I priced a job for a guy from Wuhan a few weeks ago just as it all kicked off. He’s still over there and can’t get back. Shows you how small the world is now. A mate of mine is bus driver he said he was about to do a stop and a Chinese guy was coughing at the stop so he kept going :rofl:

I’ve seen these videos of the Chinese markets and stuff lately, dead animals next to live ones just brutal stuff, them eating bats and basically the way they treat animals, dogs especially and I’m thinking about not eating from them anymore tbh. It’s all just put me off a bit tbh. 

34 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

i bet your waistline is feeling less of a pinch

23 minutes ago, Barack said:

Here in Wales now.

I've put my affairs in order. JKB can bid on my organs at the appropriate time.

I'll clear it with Admin.👍🏻

what does mrs barack think of the order

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

You’ll be fine by then.

I’ve got one there in September.

Hope so but what will be, will be

Looking forward to it too

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Hope so but what will be, will be

Looking forward to it too

Been there before and it’s fantastic.

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, shlabalaba said:

I'll be there 2 weeks today , as long as I get there not too fussed about coming back  :)

Trust the BBC to find this MENSA member.  

Edit: I wasn't referring to you shlabalaba - it was the soap dodger in the video.

Edited by Horatio Caine
potential misunderstanding!

Dagger Is Back

Have to be honest and say I am concerned about this despite people quoting statistics right left and centre. Brother and his wife have just returned to Singapore after being over for my Dads funeral. I don't trust any Government to tell the truth although I understand in this case why they may choose not to paint the whole picture. Seems as if the world is all over the place in terms of how we're dealing with this and inconsistencies in terms of approach. We clearly don't know enough about it at this stage

I'm concerned about the well being of friends and family but also about the effect that a prolonged situation would have on world economies.

In saying that, there is rock all I can do about it other than take the precautions that we're being told to take. Doesn't stop me worrying about it though 

Dagger Is Back
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Been there before and it’s fantastic.

Yeah a couple of the lads have too and say it's brilliant. I'm into my history so looking forward to soaking that up. Sure we'll find time for a few beers too mind 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Yeah a couple of the lads have too and say it's brilliant. I'm into my history so looking forward to soaking that up. Sure we'll find time for a few beers too mind 

👍🍺

Dagger Is Back
10 minutes ago, Barack said:

Berlin is the tits!

Would go back tomorrow. Make sure you go to the Topography of Terror, near Checkpoint Charlie too, if you want to do the history bit.

That looks right up my street. Strangely fascinated by the Nazis and how it all came about. Thanks for the tip

AlphonseCapone
31 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Ok I’ll explain. I priced a job for a guy from Wuhan a few weeks ago just as it all kicked off. He’s still over there and can’t get back. Shows you how small the world is now. A mate of mine is bus driver he said he was about to do a stop and a Chinese guy was coughing at the stop so he kept going :rofl:

I’ve seen these videos of the Chinese markets and stuff lately, dead animals next to live ones just brutal stuff, them eating bats and basically the way they treat animals, dogs especially and I’m thinking about not eating from them anymore tbh. It’s all just put me off a bit tbh. 

😬 You're on some dodgy ground there mate! I understand from an ethics point of view regarding how they treat animals, and even though they have different cultural norms, doesn't mean I need to like it. But I'm not sure you should be punishing the Chinese takeaways over here for it, especially as many are owned by people born here or who came over decades ago. And a big chunk of them are from Hong Kong (which is why it was easy for them to come over and live in the UK) where they aren't on the same level as some parts of the mainland when it comes to wild animals. 

Imagine pubs abroad start stopping you going in because they've seen videos of drunken Scottish folk acting like twats. You wouldn't likely be happy at the generalisation (even if they might be right in this case 😉). 

Anyway, not trying to talk you into Chinese takeaway, you're not doing your health any harm but don't generalise an entire race , it's not fair 👍 I'm having dumplings tonight that I get from the Chinese supermarket on Dalry Road, prefer doing that to ordering one in most of time. 

31 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Loved Berlin and the history of the city, the free walking tours (usually start at Brandenburg Gate) are worth trying. 

Visited the Pergamon Museum when I visited and it had an exhibition on Babylonian and Assyrian history. Incredible stuff. 

My missus had to near haul me out of there. 

Edited by ross1992

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

😬 You're on some dodgy ground there mate! I understand from an ethics point of view regarding how they treat animals, and even though they have different cultural norms, doesn't mean I need to like it. But I'm not sure you should be punishing the Chinese takeaways over here for it, especially as many are owned by people born here or who came over decades ago. And a big chunk of them are from Hong Kong (which is why it was easy for them to come over and live in the UK) where they aren't on the same level as some parts of the mainland when it comes to wild animals. 

Imagine pubs abroad start stopping you going in because they've seen videos of drunken Scottish folk acting like twats. You wouldn't likely be happy at the generalisation (even if they might be right in this case 😉). 

Anyway, not trying to talk you into Chinese takeaway, you're not doing your health any harm but don't generalise an entire race , it's not fair 👍 I'm having dumplings tonight that I get from the Chinese supermarket on Dalry Road, prefer doing that to ordering one in most of time. 

Not dodgy ground at all I’m just not afraid to say in case someone gets offended tbh bud. I’ve spoken to people who’ve said same to me. Is it silly? Almost certainly but is what it is. 
I like to enjoy my grub and atm I don’t think I’d tuck in as heartily as I normally do. Will I eat Chinese again? Of course I will but at this present moment im aff them. Like you say won’t do me any harm either all that MSG or whatever it’s called. 

Edited by jack D and coke

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, Barack said:

Berlin is the tits!

Would go back tomorrow. Make sure you go to the Topography of Terror, near Checkpoint Charlie too, if you want to do the history bit.

Thanks for the tip on the Topography of Terror.

Dagger Is Back

See this just doesn't make sense to me. What happens if the Italians had smitten other holiday makers before they left and these holidaymakers hadn't shown any symptoms just like those Brits who were on the cruise ship? Am I missing something here?

BBC reporter Dan Johnson said nine Canary Islands residents were allowed to leave the hotel on Friday because they arrived after four Italian guests with the virus had left.

Dagger Is Back
9 minutes ago, ross1992 said:

Loved Berlin and the history of the city, the free walking tours (usually start at Brandenburg Gate) are worth trying. 

Visited the Pergamon Museum when I visited and it had an exhibition on Babylonian and Assyrian history. Incredible stuff. 

My missus had to near haul me out of there. 

Brilliant thanks Ross

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I wouldn’t visit a meat packing factory if I were you, mate !

Your choices would maybe be a whole lot smaller !

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, Boab said:

I wouldn’t visit a meat packing factory if I were you, mate !

Your choices would maybe be a whole lot smaller !

:lol: I’d bet mate. Thinking about it too much doesn’t do you much good. 
I’ve worked in a few restaurants, mostly Chinese and you wouldn’t eat another one if you seen them tbh. 

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

See this just doesn't make sense to me. What happens if the Italians had smitten other holiday makers before they left and these holidaymakers hadn't shown any symptoms just like those Brits who were on the cruise ship? Am I missing something here?

BBC reporter Dan Johnson said nine Canary Islands residents were allowed to leave the hotel on Friday because they arrived after four Italian guests with the virus had left.

I like to imagine you wanted to write, bitten, definitely makes it sound more zombie apocalypse like haha. 

But without the specifics I would agree it wasn't the wisest move to let them leave. There are plenty of other contamination points in that particular sitation besides the Italian folk. 

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic