Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Simon Calder has just been on TV encouraging people to take advantage of the cheaper travel available and get out there. Inclined to agree with him.

I got my return flight, Glasgow to Tokyo for £400. I usually pay upwards of £600 when I book.

I'd echo Simon's thoughts, go for it!

edit: Sensible MD publications and sites have the kind of quotes below I would rely on , e.g this from MDMAG.COM

'The fact remains that this strain of coronavirus is not highly contagious; it behaves very similarly to other infectious viruses by targeting mainly the weak and/or immunocompromised portions of the population. For most of us, contracting coronavirus infection will lead to a flu-like syndrome, and the majority of patients will most likely survive—very similar to the majority of people who get flu.

A Chinese visitor visiting the United States at this time is 10,000 times more likely to die from influenza than an American visiting China is of dying from coronavirus. In any case, wearing masks affords little protection against coronavirus since the virus is small enough to penetrate the microfibers of most masks. This strain of coronavirus appears to be far less contagious than the flu.'

Go and enjoy the cheap flights. Air China flights and China Eastern flights are ridiculously cheap from LHR at the moment.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

2 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Minor diseases don't get deemed a global emergency and "very grave threat" by the World Health Organization.

At a macro level, yes, but the risk to the normal person is very minor.

4 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Simon Calder has just been on TV encouraging people to take advantage of the cheaper travel available and get out there. Inclined to agree with him.

Yeah I'm sure a travel journalist is more trustworthy on this subject than the World Health Organization.

AlphonseCapone
16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Yeah I'm sure a travel journalist is more trustworthy on this subject than the World Health Organization.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

You should read through their Q&A. You seem particularly worried about something that's not really that different to regular flu. 

53 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

You should read through their Q&A. You seem particularly worried about something that's not really that different to regular flu. 

Have you ever had regular flu? (man flu aka the common cold doesn't count)

It's bloody awful. You might not mind getting it because some cheapskate fancied a discount flight into the epicentre, but I'd be rather displeased about it.

AlphonseCapone
17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Have you ever had regular flu? (man flu aka the common cold doesn't count)

It's bloody awful. You might not mind getting it because some cheapskate fancied a discount flight into the epicentre, but I'd be rather displeased about it.

Only once. And I learned that colds are absolutely nothing in comparison. But as awful as this current virus is for the people who are catching it, it doesn't mean all rationality should go out the window.

If the coronavirus never happened, the "cheapskate" could easily have went abroad somewhere and came back with regular flu and potentially passed that on to someone at high risk, that person might have died, all without the "cheapskate" knowing. I'm sure this has happened plenty of times. But because the flu isn't front page news and isn't new, no one thinks twice. It's actually possible to be a carrier without experiencing any symptoms, so you or I might have unwittingly passed on flu to a vulnerable person at some point, but no one bats an eyelid (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm). We shouldn't be condemning folk for still living their lives. 

Too many people are overreacting, which isn't helpful and leads to incidents like Chinese people being banned from restaurants in some places. This article articulates far better than I can about why folk are so worried about this new coronavirus and why, on current knowledge, it's irrational. It's really worth a read;

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/world/asia/coronavirus-risk-interpreter.html

I blame the media for much of the overreaction, like this headline in the Sun about a "zombie apocalypse", sensationalist bullshit that unfortunately people fall for; https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/5228197/coronavirus-scotland-edinburgh-dad-chengdu/

The flu is what I imagine dying to be like.

Its horrendous. Lying in bed sweating with 2 duvets and winter clothes on but still being freezing, shivering cold. Every single movement feels like youve just taken a kidney shot from Tyson. In and out of lucid dreams causing delirium. Minutes feel like hours. 

I've only ever had it once properly and I hope I never get it again. 

I thought I'd had the flu before until someone else described their experience and I realised I must have just had a bad cold.

Flu is a completely different ball game to a cold. You literally can't get out of bed, it utterly floors you. I've never felt so completely fragile, weak and helpless as I did when I had flu. Not even strong enough to sit upright and reach for a glass of water. Rolling about in a state of delerium, every joint in your body aching. Freezing one minute, dripping sweat the next. Horrific. 

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

List of countries the WHO have advised against travel to please.

What is an FFP3 mask?

The enduring image of the COVID-19 outbreak is of scores of people wearing surgical masks which cover their mouth and nose.

The masks are made out of a disposable fabric such as tissue, and experts state they are ineffective at filtering out the small particles which carry the virus.

Dr Nathalie MacDermott, a clinical lecturer at King’s College London, said the masks offer both insufficient protection and deteriorate quickly.

UK coronavirus face mask FFP3 mask effective coronavirus protectionUK coronavirus face mask: What is a FFP3 mask? Does it protect against

She told Sky News: “Surgical masks are not designed with a very decent filter on them so they’re not able to really filter out finer particles such as viruses.

“They also don’t always fit ideally around the face to provide enough protection for someone.

“We breathe out humidified air which essentially moistens the mask over time and once that mask becomes moist, it’s really no longer very effective.”

Instead, Dr MacDermott recommended people use more advanced masks, among them those of the FFP3 variety.

UK coronavirus face mask: FFP3 face mask

UK coronavirus face mask: The FFP3 face mask much more effectively filters virus droplets

The FFP3 face masks differ from the common surgical kind as they are both thicker and come with a filter.

FFP3 masks are made of a synthetic fibre, which allows them to filter out finer particles.

The valve on the front of the mask also releases air, preventing moisture build-up which causes other models to deteriorate.

While the FFP3 are among the most effective of their kind, doctors don’t believe it is necessary to use them just yet.

I notice the elderly couple stranded on the cruise ship off Tokyo, who have been appearing on the News over the last week or so, have been told they have Corona virus.  They are scepticle, but are being moved to a hospital.....   542 of the 3500 on board now have been tested positive....   A great number being elderly...

4 hours ago, hueyview said:

I notice the elderly couple stranded on the cruise ship off Tokyo, who have been appearing on the News over the last week or so, have been told they have Corona virus.  They are scepticle, but are being moved to a hospital.....   542 of the 3500 on board now have been tested positive....   A great number being elderly...

There's been between 50 & 100 new infections every day on board, which makes you wonder if it was the right decision by the Japanese authorities to keep everybody on board.

What must be a real concern is, despite fairly strict quarantine procedures in place on board the ship, there are still dozens of new infections everyday.

Well aye, keeping thousands of folk cooped up in close proximity to each other on a plague ship was only ever going to end up infecting the entire ship.

Should have quarantined them in proper hospitals on land.

They're on about allowing the quarantined passengers to disembark as planned at the end of the initial 14 day period.     Despite about 500 of having contracted the virus during that time.

:notsure:

Seeing a slight flaw in the plan likes.

19 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There's been between 50 & 100 new infections every day on board, which makes you wonder if it was the right decision by the Japanese authorities to keep everybody on board.

What must be a real concern is, despite fairly strict quarantine procedures in place on board the ship, there are still dozens of new infections everyday.

Yes.  I notice one young lady on video, probably more, do not want to come back on a plane to Britain/Hongkong with fellow cruise ship passengers as its unclear who and when they have been tested. 

There must be something about this that goes beyond the threat of a flu virus. They don't cancel football matches due to the threat of flu.

Coronavirus: Inter Milan v Sampdoria among Serie A games postponed

Inter Milan's game against Sampdoria is among three Serie A fixtures that have been postponed over fears of the spread of coronavirus.

The suspension was announced by Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte at a news conference on Saturday.

"Minister of Sport [Vincenzo] Spadafora intends to suspend all sporting events planned for Sunday in the Veneto and Lombardy regions," Conte said.

The suspension also includes Verona v Cagliari and Atalanta v Sassuolo.

Inter Milan confirmed on Twitter the postponement of Sunday's game at the San Siro.

Earlier on Saturday, a number of other football matches had been postponed.

The action was taken as a woman from the northern region of Lombardy became the second person in Italy to die from the virus in 24 hours.

Cremonese's Serie B match against Ascoli and Piacenza v Sambenedettese in Serie C were among those fixtures postponed.

Serie D matches and a number of amateur and youth games in the Lombardy and Veneto regions were also called off.

Several towns in the Lombardy region have been placed on lockdown, with schools and offices closed and residents urged to stay away from accident and emergency departments.

The new virus, which originated last year in the Hubei province in China, causes a respiratory disease called Covid-19.

China has reported 75,567 cases of the virus, including 2,239 deaths.

Outside China, more than 1,200 cases of the virus have been confirmed in 26 countries and there have been at least eight deaths, according to the World Health Organization.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51599748

36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

There must be something about this that goes beyond the threat of a flu virus. They don't cancel football matches due to the threat of flu.

Coronavirus: Inter Milan v Sampdoria among Serie A games postponed

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51599748

Neither do entire towns get locked down due to the flu either, nor do authorities carry out mass fumigation of public places such as tube stations and even the streets as we have seen in various countries in Asia when flu strikes.

WHO now saying that the window of opportunity to contain Covid-19 is rapidly closing and the prospect of a global pandemic is becoming more likely.

I think it's already to late to contain the virus, just look at the massive increase of cases in South Korea, Iran & Italy over recent days, the Italian outbreak is thought to stem from just one individual and it's spread like wildfire since.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Neither do entire towns get locked down due to the flu either, nor do authorities carry out mass fumigation of public places such as tube stations and even the streets as we have seen in various countries in Asia when flu strikes.

WHO now saying that the window of opportunity to contain Covid-19 is rapidly closing and the prospect of a global pandemic is becoming more likely.

I think it's already to late to contain the virus, just look at the massive increase of cases in South Korea, Iran & Italy over recent days, the Italian outbreak is thought to stem from just one individual and it's spread like wildfire since.

A number of things about it I find puzzling. I have seen it claimed that it predominately kills the elderly. Yet it killed the Chinese 'whistle blower' doctor who first tried to raise the alarm.

He was 33 and presumably being treated the moment he was showing symptoms.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

A number of things about it I find puzzling. I have seen it claimed that it predominately kills the elderly. Yet it killed the Chinese 'whistle blower' doctor who first tried to raise the alarm.

He was probably bumped off for whistle blowing.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

Predominately yes, but there will always be people who are not in the high risk elderly group who will also die.

Figures I seen on Sky News about two weeks ago seemed to indicate that as much as 20% of the death's in China were from the under 60's, with around about 80% of the deaths from the over 60's and around 75% of those had pre-existing medical issues.

I still think there are so many unknowns about this virus and until we understand it's full life story from birth to death, questions will remain, however one thing which is clear is that it is easily spread, and that is of real concern to the authorities.

Jambo, Goodbye

I live in Daegu and have spent the best part of three days cooped up in my apartment. 

I think most people are going about their lives as best they can,  but the city centre has been a ghost town. People are afraid to be in big crowds and lots of shopping malls and all public spaces such as libraries have been closed.

I feel like watching Train to Busan 😒

Jambo, Goodbye

From the BBC website:

The old and the sick. The current fatality rate is less than 0.5% for people under the age of 50. But it rises to 8% for people in their 70s and 15% for people over 80. Meanwhile, nearly 11% of people with diseases of the heart died when infected. As did 7% of people with diabetes and 6% of people with long-term lung problems. The average for healthy people is 0.9%.

4 minutes ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

I live in Daegu and have spent the best part of three days cooped up in my apartment. 

I think most people are going about their lives as best they can,  but the city centre has been a ghost town. People are afraid to be in big crowds and lots of shopping malls and all public spaces such as libraries have been closed.

I feel like watching Train to Busan 😒

Isn't Daegu the centre of the South Korean outbreak?

As for empty streets etc, seen footage yesterday of Beijing, it was pretty much empty, few cars on the roads and even fewer people about.

Jambo, Goodbye
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Isn't Daegu the centre of the South Korean outbreak?

As for empty streets etc, seen footage yesterday of Beijing, it was pretty much empty, few cars on the roads and even fewer people about.

It is indeed. 

Still one or two cases popping up in other cities but the biggest rise was down to that stupid woman in Daegu attending her cult. She had apparently refused being tested about three times 😒

Serious concerns here in Italy. Flew in on Friday to Bologna and all passengers were temp checked on landing. Have binned plans to go Rome -Milan tomorrow so head for Florence instead and then home via Bologna. Its 21 C today in Rome but there people walking about  with full gas masks on the metro. 

4 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

It is indeed. 

Still one or two cases popping up in other cities but the biggest rise was down to that stupid woman in Daegu attending her cult. She had apparently refused being tested about three times 😒

Interesting to hear what’s going on in Daegu. I lived close by in Pohang for 3 years, but I’m now based in Hong Kong. People here are cautious but it seems to be hitting Korea worse just now 😔

AlphonseCapone
7 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

I think the answer might be in your post. 

Gutted with the news about Italy, meant to be going to milan on 23rd March for a day then onto Venice for 2 days and 3 days in Rome. Been buzzing for months, me and mrs no idea what to do, checked the government website not much advice. Still got 5 weeks so hoping things calm down 

AlphonseCapone
21 minutes ago, toonland said:

Gutted with the news about Italy, meant to be going to milan on 23rd March for a day then onto Venice for 2 days and 3 days in Rome. Been buzzing for months, me and mrs no idea what to do, checked the government website not much advice. Still got 5 weeks so hoping things calm down 

I'd keep an eye on it. Given the quarantine period is two weeks, then there will likely be a better idea in 2-3 weeks whether Italy has contained the cases in those particular areas or whether it's already spread further. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

It's reached the middle east now.

Iran confirms outbreak, turkey and pakistan shut their borders with Iran.

If this gets to pakistan or india it'll run riot.

41 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I'd keep an eye on it. Given the quarantine period is two weeks, then there will likely be a better idea in 2-3 weeks whether Italy has contained the cases in those particular areas or whether it's already spread further. 

Bloody hope so mate

Captain Lithuania

A bit concerning that, given Scotland played Italy in Italy in the six nations yesterday, lots of people will be returning home from there today or in the next few days. 

AlphonseCapone
37 minutes ago, Cade said:

It's reached the middle east now.

Iran confirms outbreak, turkey and pakistan shut their borders with Iran.

If this gets to pakistan or india it'll run riot.

Aye Iran had already confirmed a couple of deaths. Israel and possibly Lebanon have cases. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye Iran had already confirmed a couple of deaths. Israel and possibly Lebanon have cases. 

Think another 2 died in Iran yesterday, making it 5 or 6 in the last week or so, cases in several Iranian cities seemingly.

Hearing that Austria has stopped a train at it's border with Italy because of 2 suspected cases on board, train was enroute from Venice to Munich.

AlphonseCapone
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Think another 2 died in Iran yesterday, making it 5 or 6 in the last week or so, cases in several Iranian cities seemingly.

Hearing that Austria has stopped a train at it's border with Italy because of 2 suspected cases on board, train was enroute from Venice to Munich.

Aye BBC reporting about the train heading to Austria. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

AlphonseCapone

Just done a bit of reading on the WHO website about their different phase categories etc and would be surprised if this isn't classified as a pandemic at some point this week.

3 hours ago, toonland said:

Dont panic yet. The affected towns in Lombardy are all closed off. You'll know well before you travel if its spread. Rome is a long way from Milan so may not be affected. I will check with my daughter as she flew out of Rome tonight so i dont know if anyone's being screened down here. 

AlphonseCapone
18 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Good to see the lunatics at PETA have a balanced view. 

FF0C02B2-A627-4ED9-A738-1087C5BFB760.jpeg

The level of intellect I expect from that mob. 

Just reported on Sky News that there are now over 150 cases now in Italy and that Venice has closed all museums and the carnival has been cut short.

Jambo, Goodbye
9 hours ago, Pohang Jambo said:

Interesting to hear what’s going on in Daegu. I lived close by in Pohang for 3 years, but I’m now based in Hong Kong. People here are cautious but it seems to be hitting Korea worse just now 😔

I don't know which news story I'd rather be in amongst. Daegu or Hong Kong 😐

Hope you're keeping yourself safe over there!  I love HK but not likely to visit again 😞

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic