Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

21 minutes ago, hueyview said:

Yes, like something out of a Stephen King book....

Just wrote that as some folk walking past Fountainbridge library with masks....

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, take what I'm going to post with a grain of salt, because it is hearsay.

I have a very close friend who works for a Company with several suppliers in China.  He talks to his contacts in these Companies almost every day. When the coronavirus broke out, all the goods from these suppliers was quarantined, putting my friend's Company in a serious position due to shortage of inventory. His contacts in China were/are very pessimistic about this situation being resolved soon.  They also said the outbreak is much more serious than the Chinese officials are making out.  One of them said that he'd seen a corpse lying in the street inside a plastic bag.  That was on Wednesday.  He has been unable to reach any of his contacts since then, either by email or telephone. 

This information is passed on for what it's worth.  My friend is a sensible man, far from an alarmist, but he is convinced that this outbreak is significantly worse than what we are being told. 

2 hours ago, 80bob said:

My mate was taken into monk lands hospital last night by ambulance to be tested and quarantined until tests come back.

Do you mean Monklands Hospital in Airdrie?

1 hour ago, Maple Leaf said:

I have a very close friend who works for a Company with several suppliers in China.  He talks to his contacts in these Companies almost every day. When the coronavirus broke out, all the goods from these suppliers was quarantined, putting my friend's Company in a serious position due to shortage of inventory. His contacts in China were/are very pessimistic about this situation being resolved soon.  They also said the outbreak is much more serious than the Chinese officials are making out.  One of them said that he'd seen a corpse lying in the street inside a plastic bag.  That was on Wednesday.  He has been unable to reach any of his contacts since then, either by email or telephone. 

This information is passed on for what it's worth.  My friend is a sensible man, far from an alarmist, but he is convinced that this outbreak is significantly worse than what we are being told. 

Many Chinese factories are shut, were due to open next week but I've heard on the TV that that isn't the case and they will remain shut.

Lots of British companies are sourcing supplies from other places because they can't get them from China and have no idea when they will get supplies from China, so they are having to look elsewhere.

Also heard earlier today on the news an ex-pat living in Beijing who was saying the streets are almost empty, shops are shut, next to nobody on the streets.

So there might be a bit more truth to your post then you may think.

Just goes to show how easy this thing is spread.

British guy who caught the virus in Singapore has now infected at least 9 other people whilst he was asymptomatic.

That has to be one of the most worrying things, is that someone can be infectious whilst they are showing no symptoms of being ill.

Easyjet/Public health England are now frantically trying to trace everybody who was on the flight from Geneva to Gatwick which this guy took.

Seymour M Hersh
On 08/02/2020 at 17:23, Maple Leaf said:

Don't know if your chum is correct but you can probably and with a high degree of safety, put your mortgage on the Chinese Gov. only telling us the bare minimum of what's happening. All governments will act this way but the Communists in China will really do everything in their power to cover up how bad things are. 

Seymour M Hersh
On 08/02/2020 at 19:13, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Many Chinese factories are shut, were due to open next week but I've heard on the TV that that isn't the case and they will remain shut.

Lots of British companies are sourcing supplies from other places because they can't get them from China and have no idea when they will get supplies from China, so they are having to look elsewhere.

Also heard earlier today on the news an ex-pat living in Beijing who was saying the streets are almost empty, shops are shut, next to nobody on the streets.

So there might be a bit more truth to your post then you may think.

Is there not quite an extended holiday for the lunar new year? Might also be a reason for it being quiet .

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Is there not quite an extended holiday for the lunar new year? Might also be a reason for it being quiet .

They extended the holiday by a further week and everywhere were supposed to be back to normal today, hearing it's only a partial return and not everywhere.

AlphonseCapone
On 08/02/2020 at 08:32, Mauricio Pinilla said:

This virus has only been around for a month or so, no point comparing it to other things that kill x amount of people each year. 

Aye but for a different reason than you probably mean. These viruses tend to increase exponentially before slowing down as containment measures kick in. The diseases the poster mentioned kill those high numbers of people every single year and folk barely register it. Panic from the unknown is what's going on here. 

On 08/02/2020 at 13:36, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yeh seen that on the news, which makes you wonder if the Chinese know more about this virus than they are letting on about, for them to take such drastic action.

The Chinese always take what to us seems like drastic action. They are heavy handed in dealing with everything. I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything. 

I'm sure they are being economical with their reports, as that's their style but I doubt it's significantly worse than reported. Something would have broken out on the Internet if there were bodies on the streets as someone else claimed. Usually they get uploaded, removed soon after but not quick enough to stop it spreading to countries the Chinese government can't control online. 

It's not a fun situation but I'm confident most people have absolutely nothing to worry about. Folk think everything is the end of the world as we know it these days. 

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye but for a different reason than you probably mean. These viruses tend to increase exponentially before slowing down as containment measures kick in. The diseases the poster mentioned kill those high numbers of people every single year and folk barely register it. Panic from the unknown is what's going on here. 

The Chinese always take what to us seems like drastic action. They are heavy handed in dealing with everything. I wouldn't take it as a sign of anything. 

I'm sure they are being economical with their reports, as that's their style but I doubt it's significantly worse than reported. Something would have broken out on the Internet if there were bodies on the streets as someone else claimed. Usually they get uploaded, removed soon after but not quick enough to stop it spreading to countries the Chinese government can't control online. 

It's not a fun situation but I'm confident most people have absolutely nothing to worry about. Folk think everything is the end of the world as we know it these days. 

I have, at the last count lived through something like 78 end of the World predictions, it's all kinda water off a ducks back to me nowadays.

But you are right, folks panic way too easily over next to nothing, especially fear of the unknown, which to be honest I've never understood why, fear of a known risk, yes by all means, fear of something which is unknown, completely irrational imo.

4 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I have experienced nothing of the sort - High rise communities, supermarkets and towns/cities have isolated themselves and are very cautious - My wives home town Maoming has implemented a three hour time frame if you wish to leave and if you are late returning you are out of luck for getting back home - This is not the Chinese government this is mob rule.

We stay outside the centre of town but everyone who enters our garden has to have a mask on and has to be temperature checked, the post office and factories were meant to return to work today the government announced that postal workers will be asked to stay at home for another week.

Private businesses could operate again today but very few have, certainly no bars or restaurants have been allowed to open.

Manufacturing has been allowed to open back up with the stipulation that every employee needs to be tested and the factory is disenfected.

This is all from Guangdong province, I can't say what is going on elsewhere.

On 10/02/2020 at 12:59, AlphonseCapone said:

Like this?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jan/31/a-man-lies-dead-in-the-street-the-image-that-captures-the-wuhan-coronavirus-crisis

https://qz.com/1798077/wuhan-virus-chinese-citizen-journalist-reports-from-quarantine-zone/

https://www.ccn.com/coronavirus-death-smog-is-china-burning-thousands-of-infected-bodies/

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Like what? 

A picture of one old man dead in the street who could have died from anything. 

Nothing else you posted suggested there are dead bodies lying about the streets. 

31 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Like what? 

A picture of one old man dead in the street who could have died from anything. 

Nothing else you posted suggested there are dead bodies lying about the streets. 

Fair enough. The other links do however suggest that it may be worse than China is letting on.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

14k new cases and 240 deaths in China yesterday. 

And that's just in 24 hours, and after there were signs that the infection rate was maybe slowing down, and then this spike.

What alarms me about this and the ongoing number of infections in China, is even after most factories, offices, workplaces & schools being shut, several cities being in lockdown, mass disinfection programmes, streets near enough deserted and anybody who is out wearing masks, there is still mass infection rates.

manaliveits105

Scottish scientist Kate Broderick on This Morning now - vaccine produced by her team and being tested - will only be tested on humans - June and would be 6 - 12 months before rolled out if it works - no quick fixes on this 🙁

25 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Scottish scientist Kate Broderick on This Morning now - vaccine produced by her team and being tested - will only be tested on humans - June and would be 6 - 12 months before rolled out if it works - no quick fixes on this 🙁

WHO reckon it'll take anything up to 18 months before a vaccine is available, as the Health secretary said this is a marathon not a sprint and he's right.

25 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

WHO reckon it'll take anything up to 18 months before a vaccine is available, as the Health secretary said this is a marathon not a sprint and he's right.

The crazy thing is that it only took a few hours for her team to design the vaccine, and another day to produce it. It's the testing that takes up all the time.

AlphonseCapone
4 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

14k new cases and 240 deaths in China yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And that's just in 24 hours, and after there were signs that the infection rate was maybe slowing down, and then this spike.

What alarms me about this and the ongoing number of infections in China, is even after most factories, offices, workplaces & schools being shut, several cities being in lockdown, mass disinfection programmes, streets near enough deserted and anybody who is out wearing masks, there is still mass infection rates.

"Professor David Heymann, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "What has happened in China is that they have changed the definition of what the disease really is - now they are taking people who have lesser symptoms." 

Not as straightforward as it seems. They are probably being a bit more honest with the new definition, but that means the latest number can't be compared to previous days numbers.

Shanks said no

From BBC health section

The rough rule of thumb means anyone who has had physical contact with the carriers or spent 15 minutes within 6ft (2m) of them is contacted and self-isolation considered. 

That includes people who were within two rows of them on the flights into the UK and, in the case of Mr Walsh, bar staff in pubs where he had stopped for a drink and members of a yoga class he had taken part in.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

"Professor David Heymann, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, said: "What has happened in China is that they have changed the definition of what the disease really is - now they are taking people who have lesser symptoms." 

Not as straightforward as it seems. They are probably being a bit more honest with the new definition, but that means the latest number can't be compared to previous days numbers.

If the same definition was applied World wide then we'd see a significant increase of infections & deaths outside of China, which at the moment are being classed as normal colds/flu's/winter bugs.

AlphonseCapone
4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If the same definition was applied World wide then we'd see a significant increase of infections & deaths outside of China, which at the moment are being classed as normal colds/flu's/winter bugs.

I don't know what definition they are using outside China. The suggestion  from this change of definition in China is that they were being economical with the truth so possibly the rest of the world were already applying what the Chinese now are. 

Shanks said no
On 07/02/2020 at 18:07, Dannie Boy said:

Bank Nurses Band 6 or above are required for WGH, Monday - Friday, full time to carry out screening of patients for Coronavirus in the community. This will involve taking throat swabs and returning them to RIDU. You will be working in pairs (no driving licence required as a driver is provided) and you will receive FIT mask training and also be provided with full PPE. If you are interested please contact.... 

redacted contact details. 

a new plea went out yesterday for band 5 nurses for the WGH RIDU

don’t know if there has been a lack of band 6 volunteers or if they are just recruiting more nurses. 

I was told that if you volunteer then you can forget international travel for the foreseeable future. I can’t verify this though. 

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

don’t know if there has been a lack of band 6 volunteers or if they are just recruiting more nurses. 

I was told that if you volunteer then you can forget international travel for the foreseeable future. I can’t verify this though. 

We go on holiday on Monday and there was no way we would risk my wife inadvertently catching, how ever remote, such a disease. 

Latest advise email, 

Dear all, please see below some information on the Wuhan novel Coronavirus (WN-CoV) 

“Background
In late December 2019, the People’s Republic of China reported an outbreak of pneumonia due to unknown cause in Wuhan City, Hubei Province.
In early January 2020, the cause of the outbreak was identified as a new coronavirus, named Wuhan novel coronavirus (WN-CoV). While early cases were likely infected by an animal source in a ‘wet market’ in Wuhan, there is evidence that human-to-human transmission can also occur.
WN-CoV can cause respiratory illness of varying severity. 
Situation Updates
World Health Organisation (WHO) updates on the current situation can be found here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports.
Guidance
All clinical and laboratory guidelines can be found on the Health Protection Scotland website here: https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/a-to-z-of-topics/wuhan-novel-coronavirus/.
Advice for travellers from China
Travellers from Wuhan and Hubei Province
If you have travelled from Wuhan or Hubei Province to the UK in the last 14 days you should immediately:
• stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
• call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the area
Please follow this advice even if you do not have symptoms of the virus.
Travellers from elsewhere 
if you have been in the following places in the last 14 days: 
China 
Hong Kong 
Japan 
Macau 
Malaysia 
Republic of Korea 
Singapore
Taiwan 
Thailand 
• stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu
• call NHS 111 to inform them of your recent travel to the country
Please follow this advice even if your symptoms are minor.
What this means in practice: We are asking people to take simple, common-sense steps to avoid close contact with other people as much as possible, like they would with other flu viruses. This means remaining at home for 14 days after arriving from Wuhan and not going to work, school or public areas. Where possible, you should avoid having visitors to your home, but it’s ok for friends, family or delivery drivers to drop off food. Further advice on self isolation and information for the public can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-information-for-the-public.

General Advice: If you do not have symptoms and are looking for general information, a free helpline has been set up on 0800 028 2816. The helpline is open: Monday to Friday, 8.00am to 10.00pm / Saturday and Sunday, 9.00am to 5.00pm
Travel Advice: Health advice for travellers can be found on TRAVAX (for health professionals) or Fitfortravel (for public) website. Specific advice relating to travel for Chinese New Year can be found here: https://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/news/newsdetail.aspx?id=23648
General travel advice for China can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china” 

Many thanks,
NHS Lothian Staff Bank teams, 

AlphonseCapone
5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Would make a lot of sense. 

Shanks said no
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Would make a lot of sense. 

Yep, you reach customs at the other end, “have you been in contact with anyone who may have had Coronavirus?” “Yes, I’m a nurse in RIDU testing in Edinburgh.”

end of holidays 

AlphonseCapone
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Yep, you reach customs at the other end, “have you been in contact with anyone who may have had Coronavirus?” “Yes, I’m a nurse in RIDU testing in Edinburgh.”

end of holidays 

Straight into a small box for several weeks! 

F.o. needs to urgently ban travel to these areas. 

Until they do no one will cancel their trips as will lose all costs. Some cruise lines are being utter wanks by cancelling or diverting with very short notice. 

Me and missus just back from singapore, flew out friday then find out on Sunday afternoon through social media that cunard were no longer stopping at singapore. If we wanted to fly to freemantle to join it we could. (Our expense). Now know of many others joining ships there which have cancelled. Still plenty ships going there, 3 cruise lines in on tuesday as we met quite a few during the day. 

Singapore seems to be taking a lot of precautions and certainly doesn't look like a city in any panic. At least not when we were there. 

Will be following advice and staying home for 14 days. Luckily I gave away my season ticket as I didnt think I,d need it. 

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I don't know what definition they are using outside China. The suggestion  from this change of definition in China is that they were being economical with the truth so possibly the rest of the world were already applying what the Chinese now are. 

Which has been speculated that they were being less than truthful about the real numbers involved.

I booked my flight to Japan today. 3 weeks at the end of April and I can't wait.

Not gonna get scared of a flu that kills pensioners.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I booked my flight to Japan today. 3 weeks at the end of April and I can't wait.

Not gonna get scared of a flu that kills pensioners.

Not sure the 34 yr old Chinese Doctor who died last week would have agreed with your statement, or the 44 yr old in the Philippines or indeed the 39 yr old who died in Hong Kong from the virus.

Whilst around about 80% of the death toll is amongst the over 60's, that does leave around about 20% of the deaths which aren't pensioners, of course they might have had underlying medical issues, but then again maybe not.

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Not sure the 34 yr old Chinese Doctor who died last week would have agreed with your statement, or the 44 yr old in the Philippines or indeed the 39 yr old who died in Hong Kong from the virus.

Whilst around about 80% of the death toll is amongst the over 60's, that does leave around about 20% of the deaths which aren't pensioners, of course they might have had underlying medical issues, but then again maybe not.

I appreciate there are exceptions but I'm not concerned. Im in my early 40's, good health, never had a day sick off work since I started working 25 years ago.

I dont think made up conspiracies on social media and news outlets using inappropriate headlines for clicks are helping the situation. People are overreacting, IMO.

8 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I appreciate there are exceptions but I'm not concerned. Im in my early 40's, good health, never had a day sick off work since I started working 25 years ago.

I dont think made up conspiracies on social media and news outlets using inappropriate headlines for clicks are helping the situation. People are overreacting, IMO.

Aye, so even if you catch it you may very well not die. What about all the people you may potentially pass it on to? Imagine you come home, go to a match, start feeling poorly, coughing and sneezing around hundreds of nearby people. 

Shanks said no
23 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I'm 55 and would probably have a decent chance of surviving it, but would I be content if I passed it on to elderly relatives and they died, or a neighbour or some of the older blokes who have stood beside me at Tynecastle for years?

My grandad was born in 1910, his father was a fit Borders stonedyker who enlisted in 1914 and saw out the war returning home to Jedburgh safely and in one piece in 1919. By the end of the year Spanish Flu had taken him. He never really knew his father. As a result my grandad had a pretty tough upbringing as the oldest of 3 children, with a single mother who eventually had to move the kids to Edinburgh to work and survive, she also died very young.

So I would say its rather simplistic to have an "i'm alright Jack" attitude. 

PS i have not had a day off work in the last 33 years, but I get a flu jag every year, not for myself but so I don't inadvertently pass it on to others.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

6 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

Something on EEN website about man tested and isolated at Herriot Watt - hopefully false alarm at our training site

Sounds like we need to just stop the football and rule the season as void.

36 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

And neither you should be concerned, be informed and aware of the risks and take precautions if need be, but concerned no.

Health wise, that's great that you are in good health, and long may it continue, but it can and often does change in the blink of an eye.

Not on social media and have no idea what conspiracy theories are out there, no doubts a pile of BS most of it.

I do agree many people are overreacting, however as has been said it's the fear of the unknown that triggers the overreaction, and inappropiate headlines such as the guy from Brighton being called a 'Super spreader' is unhelpful, not least to the man himself.

14 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Aye, so even if you catch it you may very well not die. What about all the people you may potentially pass it on to? Imagine you come home, go to a match, start feeling poorly, coughing and sneezing around hundreds of nearby people. 

So what do we do? Just lock ourselves in our homes and not go on holiday? No thanks.

The Real Maroonblood
30 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

So what do we do? Just lock ourselves in our homes and not go on holiday? No thanks.

Go for it.

Anyway you have die of something.
If your flying make sure it’s a decent plane.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Maybe just don't book a holiday to a 'hot zone'.

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Maybe just don't book a holiday to a 'hot zone'.

If we tried to avoid holidaying anywhere that was a 'hot zone' for some kind of minor disease there wouldn't be many places left to go.

Simon Calder has just been on TV encouraging people to take advantage of the cheaper travel available and get out there. Inclined to agree with him.

34 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If we tried to avoid holidaying anywhere that was a 'hot zone' for some kind of minor disease there wouldn't be many places left to go.

Minor diseases don't get deemed a global emergency and "very grave threat" by the World Health Organization.

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic