Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

On 25/01/2020 at 20:00, mutley said:

A good old fashioned plague is required. Sort out the worlds over population issues and get rid of those elderly spongers in a single swoop

Please clarify.  Asking for a friend.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 25/01/2020 at 20:07, hueyview said:

There is a large Chinese community near me in Fountaunbridge...

Not seen a mask yet, but the news just saying now over 2000 have it in China..  56 dead, extrapolating that it may double every 48/72 hours..

The death toll and the infected toll have doubled in just 24 hours. If that continues we're going to be looking at over a million infected in a week or so.

China says 106 people have died from the new coronavirus and the cases of newly infected have almost doubled.

The number of total confirmed cases in China rose to 4,515 as of 27 January, up from 2,835 a day earlier.

John Gentleman
On 26/01/2020 at 12:06, JFK-1 said:

I doubt it's pointless if it's an airborne virus. I'm astounded that China has put a City of 11 million on lockdown with apparently more to follow. How do you even do that?

It's a' that faecial recognition software they've got. :thumbsup:

In Asia (Tokyo in my experience) people where masks like that for two reasons.

1. Inner city pollution.

2. Hayfever

Probably what's going on here 

2 minutes ago, Phage said:

In Asia (Tokyo in my experience) people where masks like that for two reasons.

1. Inner city pollution.

2. Hayfever

Probably what's going on here 

Nah mate they are absolutely cacking themselves, Sky News was reporting that villages & towns and districts are building barricades and walls, with local residents manning makeshift barriers to stop outsiders from entering that village/town and to try and prevent the virus from infecting them.

Completely irrational because as the virus is airborne it doesn't respect walls and barricades, but such is the fear in China amongst growing swathes of the general public.

https://news.sky.com/story/china-coronavirus-villages-build-walls-and-checkpoints-to-stop-outsiders-spreading-infection-11919727

On 28/01/2020 at 03:43, JFK-1 said:

The death toll and the infected toll have doubled in just 24 hours. If that continues we're going to be looking at over a million infected in a week or so.

Folk with a underlying condition will be most at risk....  Includes me i'm afraid.

Far lower rate than Flu.....   But this will get vast quantities not going out/miss work/reluctance to go on public transport.... etc

Fear is a terrible, at times irrational thing...

Don’t know about coronavirus but cold and ‘flu viruses are sneezed or coughed out and the droplets they are riding in end up on door handles, lift buttons etc.  You touch that and, almost invariably, your nose/ mouth - virus has a new host.

The best way to avoid transmission is good hand hygiene (and cover your nose/mouth when you sneeze/cough and avoid touching your face)

I’ve always thought face masks were worn to protect others from your potential droplet spread and also from people seeing your runny nose because blowing your nose in public in Japan is a huge no-no.

Shanks said no

Coronaviruses are primarily passed through contact with hands, and to some extent through the air.  

Good hand sanitation is the number one precaution we can all take to reduce the spread of this infection (and many others).  If you are not able to wash your hands at a sink with soap and water, you may wish to use a hand foam or gel.  

If you do use an alcohol gel, you must reapply it every 15 minutes or wash your hands with soap and water within 15 minutes, as the antimicrobial action of these gels is short lived.

Governor Tarkin
On 26/01/2020 at 01:46, redjambo said:

Perhaps it's a fashion thing.

I used to like a face mask full of VIcks vapo rub back in the early '90's.

12 hours ago, FWJ said:

Don’t know about coronavirus but cold and ‘flu viruses are sneezed or coughed out and the droplets they are riding in end up on door handles, lift buttons etc.  You touch that and, almost invariably, your nose/ mouth - virus has a new host.

The best way to avoid transmission is good hand hygiene (and cover your nose/mouth when you sneeze/cough and avoid touching your face)

I’ve always thought face masks were worn to protect others from your potential droplet spread and also from people seeing your runny nose because blowing your nose in public in Japan is a huge no-no.

We touch our faces 30+ times an hour mostly without realising it. Also our eyes are vulnerable to infection. Masks give a false sense of protection. Just wash your hands you manky buggers.

Shanks said no
Just now, westbow said:

We touch our faces 30+ times an hour mostly without realising it. Also our eyes are vulnerable to infection. Masks give a false sense of protection. Just wash your hands you manky buggers.

Exactly, the amount of people in my office who leave the toilet without washing their hands is ridiculous. You then have to follow them out touching the same handles, lift buttons etc. Utter manks. 

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Exactly, the amount of people in my office who leave the toilet without washing their hands is ridiculous. You then have to follow them out touching the same handles, lift buttons etc. Utter manks. 

Was in greggs getting a bacon roll and I noticed them using tongs for everything apart from my bacon roll. Same hands as he used for taking money, using the (probably unsanitised) HP sauce bottle, and picking his assorted orifices.

Still ate it though.

Brighton Jambo
On 26/01/2020 at 01:00, mutley said:

A good old fashioned plague is required. Sort out the worlds over population issues and get rid of those elderly spongers in a single swoop

Yeah all those children that will die, good stuff eh? 

47 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

It really annoys me that 99% of the time you have to pull a handle to open the door of the gents - and you can bet the person before you wasn’t as dainty with their hand hygiene.

These food courts you get in shopping malls? They should have a few sinks around so people can wash their hands (or it might remind them they should wash their hands) without hunting out the bogs.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Perhaps all doors to gents toilets should open outwards - that way you can use your shoulder, elbow or foot to open them after you've done the business. :)

For the lift buttons, this is of course the only remedy:

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, westbow said:

Was in greggs getting a bacon roll and I noticed them using tongs for everything apart from my bacon roll. Same hands as he used for taking money, using the (probably unsanitised) HP sauce bottle, and picking his assorted orifices.

Still ate it though.

Where else is it going to get any flavour?

Shanks said no

Coronavirus on a cruise ship!

More than 6,000 people have been prevented from disembarking from a cruise ship in the Italian port city of Civitavecchia after the liner was placed on lockdown over fears two Chinese passengers could be carrying the coronavirus.

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

annushorribilis III
On 25/01/2020 at 23:54, CJGJ said:

Tourists in masks at Edinburgh Castle

What are they doing ?....as if a bit of paper will make any difference

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51251565

Chinese people wear them routinely, nothing to do with the virus. I live in the rural shires of England and here there are quite a few Chinese students wandering around with face masks on. In the middle of the country side. 

On 26/01/2020 at 05:25, been here before said:

I saw a lassie last week wearing what looked like a leather one.

😷

How much did that session cost you?? :)

Seriously though, the Chinese wear them when they have a cold/flu to stop spreading it to other people, see it all the time in town.

My work (owned by americans) have just sent out everyone a blanket email advising us to go out and buy N-95 surgical masks before they go out of stock. 

Oh, and to wash hands often. 

Sender is one of the worst culprits for leaving the bogs without washing his hands. 

Bugs me that the media are always calling it coronavirus.  It is actually called 2019-ncov, technically loads of people will have a type of Coronavirus in the UK right now. 

On 26/01/2020 at 02:07, hueyview said:

There is a large Chinese community near me in Fountaunbridge...

Not seen a mask yet, but the news just saying now over 2000 have it in China..  56 dead, extrapolating that it may double every 48/72 hours..

These figures are more than trebled now...

News. Saying possibly up to 50000 infected in reality..

CavySlaveJambo
On 30/01/2020 at 13:04, FWJ said:

These food courts you get in shopping malls? They should have a few sinks around so people can wash their hands (or it might remind them they should wash their hands) without hunting out the bogs.

Or paying to wash their hands.  Because most public toilets charge to use them. 

AlphonseCapone
On 26/01/2020 at 01:36, JFK-1 said:

I doubt it's pointless if it's an airborne virus. I'm astounded that China has put a City of 11 million on lockdown with apparently more to follow. How do you even do that?

London has a population around 9 million. Imagine trying to put that on lockdown with no one in or out. The fact china is attempting it is a worrisome indication of how bad they think this could get.

The Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 killed 1% of the population of the globe. Translate those numbers to Scotland and you're looking at around 5,000 dead in Edinburgh alone.

And that's only if it proved to be less deadly than it ultimately could be. There's a virus in the Middle East right now similar to this one called called Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus.

It kills 30 to 40% of those who contract it. 

I heard about this Middle East one the other day, how come it hasn't had the same sort of traction? 

On 26/01/2020 at 09:22, Cade said:

It's a cultural thing.

Many people from that part of the world wear these silly wee masks any time they are outside.

Not that they do anything.

These masks are designed to be worn during surgery, to prevent the wearer from exhaling bacteria into an open wound.

They do absolutely nothing to prevent the inhalation of traffic fumes or airborn germs.

For that, you need an airtight mask with proper filters with active charcoal.

I'm no expert so excuse the ignorance but from a logical point of view, if they stop someone exhaling bacteria, how could they not be effective in preventing inhalation of bacteria? Wouldn't the barrier still work regardless of direction? 

On 30/01/2020 at 12:13, The Frenchman Returns said:

I do wonder how futile it is washing your hands considering how many things you need to touch to get out and the number of clarity *******s kicking about. How long would soap be effective on your hands, long enough to prevent contamination in the time you get out the bathroom, or purely kills what's on your hands at the moment you wash? 

On 30/01/2020 at 12:20, westbow said:

Still ate it though.

Tbf, they are meant to use tongs for touching everything. Though, at least the risk from touching money is reducing as physical currency becomes more antiquated. 

Edited by AlphonseCapone

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

I heard about this Middle East one the other day, how come it hasn't had the same sort of traction? 

I'm no expert so excuse the ignorance but from a logical point of view, if they stop someone exhaling bacteria, how could they not be effective in preventing inhalation of bacteria? Wouldn't the barrier still work regardless of direction? 

I do wonder how futile it is washing your hands considering how many things you need to touch to get out and the number of clarity *******s kicking about. How long would soap be effective on your hands, long enough to prevent contamination in the time you get out the bathroom, or purely kills what's on your hands at the moment you wash? 

Tbf, they are meant to use tongs for touching everything. Though, at least the risk from touching money is reducing as physical currency becomes more antiquated. 

Indeed.

The more people that aren’t clarty ****wits the less chance we all have of passing disease. It’s all about educating eejits into acting like responsible human beings.

Nicholas Brody
On 30/01/2020 at 12:13, The Frenchman Returns said:

It's the folk that can't put their phone down for two minutes whilst having a p*ish that get me. Standing at the urinal with their phone in hand. That text/Facebook status update just can't wait. Manky. There was a guy in my office who had his laptop, open, on the floor behind him whilst he used the urinal. There's a shelf outside the bogs for these things. 

So far this season, starting in about October, 10,000 people in the USA have died from 'flu, and 180,000 have been hospitalised.

Tell me some more about this coronovirus and why I should be worried.. 🤷‍♂️

Dagger Is Back
On 31/01/2020 at 10:02, scottg71 said:

We're due an epidemic that claims millions.

Good I’ve got names and addresses to fill the first 100 odd places

Jambof3tornado
20 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

So far this season, starting in about October, 10,000 people in the USA have died from 'flu, and 180,000 have been hospitalised.

Common sense type post.

21 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Indeed, more chance of getting wiped out by a number 42 bus than catching Coronavirus.

However, in saying that just imagine if Coronavirus and something else mutated into one super virus.

Oh crap...............

https://metro.co.uk/2020/02/02/china-hit-by-second-deadly-virus-as-bird-flu-strikes-near-coronavirus-city-12168549/

CavySlaveJambo
15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That form of bird flu hasn't made the species jump in a way that allows for human to human transmission. YET.  Then it and Coronavirus together will be a real problem. Until then stay away from the Chickens. 

41 minutes ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

That form of bird flu hasn't made the species jump in a way that allows for human to human transmission. YET.  Then it and Coronavirus together will be a real problem. Until then stay away from the Chickens. 

All it needs is a method of easy transmission, you know something like vapor droplets from a sneeze or cough.

That's how it'll happen, two different virus strains to mutate into one and be easily transmissible and deadly.

Why are people still calling it the Coronavirus?  There’s many of them and types! Does my nut.  As for the masks, go into the meadows or George square where I work and you’ll see 100s of Asian ladies wearing the masks, I’m not sure if they did before or I’m just more aware of it now.  Pharmaceutical companies will be loving all this.  With a dumb wank like Trump in charge of the USA desperate for votes very soon it will kick off there soon and we will all shit ourselves here as per. 

The best resolution would be if we all get a wee cough work 👍

5 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Because it's brand new and therefore there's no cure or treatment and it seems to spread pretty easily. I think mutation is the real concern though. 

China just built a hospital in 8 days in response to it. I'm not sure if that's normal behaviour over there but it suggests to me that there's some panic going on. 

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Because it's brand new and therefore there's no cure or treatment and it seems to spread pretty easily. I think mutation is the real concern though. 

China just built a hospital in 8 days in response to it. I'm not sure if that's normal behaviour over there but it suggests to me that there's some panic going on. 

Yes, I get it.  

I just think it's curious that the authorities have everyone in a flap about what might happen, while practically no attention is being paid to thousands of deaths that are actually happening.

In my opinion, this current "crisis" will fade into history just like SARS did a few years ago.  A tragedy for the people who died and their families, but a tiny blimp on the worldwide death rate.

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Yes, I get it.  

I just think it's curious that the authorities have everyone in a flap about what might happen, while practically no attention is being paid to thousands of deaths that are actually happening.

In my opinion, this current "crisis" will fade into history just like SARS did a few years ago.  A tragedy for the people who died and their families, but a tiny blimp on the worldwide death rate.

I guess it's just fear of the unknown. We know the flu will kill people every year but this is a new thing we don't know how big the impact of will be. 

This is payback for all the tigers and pangolins the monsters use as garnishes. 

Heard two boys at work talking about how they really fancied a Chinese for dinner but weren't going to get one now in case they catch it. 

Thick as ****. 

Edited by The Brow

AlphonseCapone
12 minutes ago, The Brow said:

Heard two boys at work talking about how they really fancied a Chinese for dinner but weren't going to get one now in case they catch it. 

Thick as ****. 

Idiots, it hasn't been found in cats...

8 hours ago, The Brow said:

Thick as ****. 

Cannibalism?

On 02/02/2020 at 20:59, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Indeed, more chance of getting wiped out by a number 42 bus than catching Coronavirus.

That's excellent news, JJ - they don't have a 42 bus in my city. No coronavirus for me!

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic