Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Students agitate to get their wee yoony experience.  Some students take the absolute ***** out of the chance they were given.  Students now demand to get home for Christmas.  Now the SG has been hamstrung into using a lot of time,  effort and resource to test them all before they bugger off home... and again when they come back after Christmas.

The SG having to jump through hoops to cater for a small section of society.  No wonder it's a tough job they've got.

Like someone else said whats the point testing them as there is high chance they all had it at the beginning of term? 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You really shouldn't take what random people post on a football forum so seriously :D

Poor deflection.  Humour aside,  it's still a serious matter.  The circle cannot be squared.  Those who excuse and encourage this can't be all that bothered about the outcome of the purpose of rules.  Makes you wonder why the same people seethe at the SG's efforts if they're not that bothered.

Malinga the Swinga

No wonder some posters take delight in posting about breaking rules, whether they actually do or not, when there are others who continually post nothing but shit like some posts above. As if anyone on here does dome thing because another poster has written post about it. So full of shit it's a wonder they don't burst. 

2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Like someone else said whats the point testing them as there is high chance they all had it at the beginning of term? 

Maybe yes or no.  All that seems obvious is that a hell of a lot of effort us having to go into catering for them.  More than should have been necessary. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

No wonder some posters take delight in posting about breaking rules, whether they actually do or not, when there are others who continually post nothing but shit like some posts above. As if anyone on here does dome thing because another poster has written post about it. So full of shit it's a wonder they don't burst. 

Great.  But how does someone explain their hardline stance against what the SG does if they're not bothered about the consequences of rules being ignored?  The irony is that the same people would doubtless have more freedoms today if everyone was pulling in the same direction.  

Wonder why you're not in the pub tonight?  

Heartsmad1874
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Maybe yes or no.  All that seems obvious is that a hell of a lot of effort us having to go into catering for them.  More than should have been necessary. 

If they are testing students before they travel the country, why can't for example Dave be tested so he can spend Christmas legally with his mother.

Makes zero sense.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

If they are testing students before they travel the country, why can't for example Dave be tested so he can spend Christmas legally with his mother  for example?

Makes zero sense.

Precisely.   

Malinga the Swinga
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Great.  But how does someone explain their hardline stance against what the SG does if they're not bothered about the consequences of rules being ignored?  The irony is that the same people would doubtless have more freedoms today if everyone was pulling in the same direction.  

Wonder why you're not in the pub tonight?  

Been in one pub since March and about 2 in whole year but you carry on making assumptions about me and others. Allows me to make assumption about you being pompous and smug. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

She’ll say they can’t be released ‘for legal reasons’.

Now now, not allowed to criticise government. She answers more questions than any other leader in world (according to herself). Whether she answers them truthfully is something only she knows. 

Malinga the Swinga

I see Russian vaccine has claimed 92% success rate, although West is unsure if reliable. We accept news on Pfizer vaccine straight away with open arms, but not so keen on believing our Eastern brother. 

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Enjoyed a nice anniversary lunch with Mrs Hammy chez Tom Kitchin. Started with a couple of mocktails and I followed with a non-alcohol Punk IPA. Our waiter was saying how relieved they are to have an alcohol ban. Said previously diners paying £90 for three courses were getting absolutely pished before stumbling out into sunny Leith with zero distancing hunting for more bevvy! All hail Tier 3!

I do like a couple of drinks with my meal tbf.

Dennis Reynolds
6 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I see Russian vaccine has claimed 92% success rate, although West is unsure if reliable. We accept news on Pfizer vaccine straight away with open arms, but not so keen on believing our Eastern brother. 

They've only tested it on around half the people that have taken part in the Pfizer trial and haven't yet fully released the results. They're a bit behind so it's not surprising.

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, OBE said:

Maybe on more than one occasion...

My recollection of student life was that they were keen to have it as often as they could.

30 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Enjoyed a nice anniversary lunch with Mrs Hammy chez Tom Kitchin. Started with a couple of mocktails and I followed with a non-alcohol Punk IPA. Our waiter was saying how relieved they are to have an alcohol ban. Said previously diners paying £90 for three courses were getting absolutely pished before stumbling out into sunny Leith with zero distancing hunting for more bevvy! All hail Tier 3!

☺☺☺☺☺☺

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Been in one pub since March and about 2 in whole year but you carry on making assumptions about me and others. Allows me to make assumption about you being pompous and smug. 

A bit old hat likes.  Pompous.  Smug.  Just a tired cliche mate.  Surely you can offer better than that.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

If one were to be picky in these exchanges, one might wish to consider the fact that we have shut down a significant of society - with all that entails - to cater for another section of society.

Yes,  but the nature of catering is somewhat different.  Students - yoony experience,  let me go home for xmas,  let me go back for more partying.  Other group - avoidance of covid.  A rather larger alternate group anaw.

Pubs.  Aside from the golf club,  it's not far short of a year since I was in a boozer.  

:sob:

Would quite like to go back to one before the big cocktail lounge in the sky likes.

Edited by Victorian

4 hours ago, weehammy said:

Edited by Ray Gin

Just had a mate in Glasgow who has been self isolating for 10 days due to an outbreak at one of his kids school confirm both his kids and wife now confirmed positive along with over 11 others at the school.

10 hours ago, GinRummy said:

The Foot of the Walk is an absolute tragedy of a pub. Lots of beetroot faced solo drinkers staring blankly at bbc news 24 (with no volume). 

the David Macbeth moir in Musselburgh is ok though. 

The Foot of the Walk was my local about 10 years ago (had the unfortunate circumstance of living on Easter Road :vrface: )

It wasn't that bad at the time, but was never a "starter" destination, always the last stop on the way home!

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Just had a mate in Glasgow who has been self isolating for 10 days due to an outbreak at one of his kids school confirm both his kids and wife now confirmed positive along with over 11 others at the school.

Must have been drinking, can't be the school.

22 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Must have been drinking, can't be the school.

Obviously.  Hence the silence from the SG over breaking down the track and trace data by sector.

Edited by frankblack

14 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yes,  but the nature of catering is somewhat different.  Students - yoony experience,  let me go home for xmas,  let me go back for more partying.  Other group - avoidance of covid.  A rather larger alternate group anaw.

Three of my kids are at “yooney” as you call it. All away from home. All worked very hard to get there and have built up a fair bit of debt for halls. They wanted to do this as part of the overall experience- unfortunately for them it’s more of a detention centre than “partying”. The youngest (17) tested positive for COVID 2 weeks ago, everyone he came into contact with has been tested and are thankfully negative. He hasn’t been allowed home since the start of term and has been self isolating for two weeks, after which we will bring him home. 

Students don’t drink anymore than any other group of kids at that age. They will make bad judgment calls, as we all did, it’s called experience. But to say they are all partying at the moment is incorrect.

Of course they should come home for Christmas-as you get older the time you get with your kids reduces proportionally. It’s one of the few times you spend together.

Mentally, they are a vulnerable sector of the population. To leave them to their own devices over the period from early December to the first week of January would be obscenely cruel. Remember most of these kids are still teenagers and for many this is the first time they have been away from home.

2 minutes ago, westbow said:

Three of my kids are at “yooney” as you call it. All away from home. All worked very hard to get there and have built up a fair bit of debt for halls. They wanted to do this as part of the overall experience- unfortunately for them it’s more of a detention centre than “partying”. The youngest (17) tested positive for COVID 2 weeks ago, everyone he came into contact with has been tested and are thankfully negative. He hasn’t been allowed home since the start of term and has been self isolating for two weeks, after which we will bring him home. 

Students don’t drink anymore than any other group of kids at that age. They will make bad judgment calls, as we all did, it’s called experience. But to say they are all partying at the moment is incorrect.

Of course they should come home for Christmas-as you get older the time you get with your kids reduces proportionally. It’s one of the few times you spend together.

Mentally, they are a vulnerable sector of the population. To leave them to their own devices over the period from early December to the first week of January would be obscenely cruel. Remember most of these kids are still teenagers and for many this is the first time they have been away from home.

Tested positive for one of the most infectious viruses around and nobody that he has been in contact with has caught it????

Has he had symptoms?

Possibly a false positive? (without getting into what a false positive is)

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

All this shite about Christmas and not a mention of Diwali.

I fully intend to get pished on Saturday in the guise of celebrating Diwali.

Edited by graygo

31 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Well put, and hope your kids are well.

The idea of keeping them away from friends and family over Christmas disgusts me, and says a lot about the people advocating it.

:) 

Didn't advocate that though.  :)

Merely commented that there's a lot of resource and emphasis being spent on them.  

Surprising misunderstanding from yourself.  :)

26 minutes ago, graygo said:

Tested positive for one of the most infectious viruses around and nobody that he has been in contact with has caught it????

Has he had symptoms?

Possibly a false positive? (without getting into what a false positive is)

He has had symptoms (cough, fever, generally shitty feeling, as well as loss of taste/smell) and two positive tests 10 days apart.
He did wear a mask, social distanced and sanitised his hands but student halls are busy places.  I have read the virus is a 20/80 thing where 20% of the infected cause 80% of the infections.

38 minutes ago, westbow said:

Unfortunately the responsible ones have been disadvantaged by the irresponsible.  The irresponsible ripped the ***** out of it and now the SG is hamstrung into wet nursing them home and back again.  The responsible caught up in the crossfire.

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Didn't advocate that though.  :)

Merely commented that there's a lot of resource and emphasis being spent on them.  

Surprising misunderstanding from yourself.  :)

Aye well Mibbee they are feeling it’s due after getting the shitty end of the stick.

12 minutes ago, westbow said:

He has had symptoms (cough, fever, generally shitty feeling, as well as loss of taste/smell) and two positive tests 10 days apart.
He did wear a mask, social distanced and sanitised his hands but student halls are busy places.  I have read the virus is a 20/80 thing where 20% of the infected cause 80% of the infections.

The "superspreader" theory.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Unfortunately the responsible ones have been disadvantaged by the irresponsible.  The irresponsible ripped the ***** out of it and now the SG is hamstrung into wet nursing them home and back again.  The responsible caught up in the crossfire.

Wet nursing 😂. The irresponsible ones are the universities who took and continue to take the cash. They knew fine the risks and didn’t bother their arse to segregate students who came from all over the world. My son shared facilities with a guy from England, Poland and Portugal. Had to use the same kitchen, shower and toilets from day one. No isolation is possible. One of my daughters has eight fellow students using the same cooking facilities one of which came from China, another South Africa.

I have the New York Times app and they have a map that tracks Covid at US colleges and universities. This was lit up like a Xmas tree before the UK universities came back as they started earlier. I would be dumb struck if the UK universities did not know this. 

I wouldn’t blame any of the kids for behaving like kids, it’s what they and we did. I blame the university administrations - they should know better.

1 hour ago, westbow said:

Very well said 👍

4 minutes ago, westbow said:

Wet nursing 😂. The irresponsible ones are the universities who took and continue to take the cash. They knew fine the risks and didn’t bother their arse to segregate students who came from all over the world. My son shared facilities with a guy from England, Poland and Portugal. Had to use the same kitchen, shower and toilets from day one. No isolation is possible. One of my daughters has eight fellow students using the same cooking facilities one of which came from China, another South Africa.

I have the New York Times app and they have a map that tracks Covid at US colleges and universities. This was lit up like a Xmas tree before the UK universities came back as they started earlier. I would be dumb struck if the UK universities did not know this. 

I wouldn’t blame any of the kids for behaving like kids, it’s what they and we did. I blame the university administrations - they should know better.

Yes it was their greed to ensure that the students were physically at the halls if residence so they could get the rent money . Disgusting . Money over health 

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, westbow said:

Wouldn't worry about condescending remarks like Wet Nursing. Typical reamrk from that poster. 

Universities needed the cash to pay the wages of their professors who sit on SAGE and other advisory bodies. 

Complete betrayal of students by people who should have behaved more responsibly. 

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We need more bitterness directed at students imo.

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Especially the ones with posh sounding names.

The Mighty Thor
58 minutes ago, graygo said:

1,212 positive cases

1207 in hospital

98 in ICU

45 deaths.

R rate around 1.0 possibly lower.

We're chugging along at a good consistent rate per day now. Current measures don't seem to be touching the numbers at all. 

It almost like its not the places they think it is thats driving infections. 🤔

She has got herself in to a pickle with her inaction, R rate possibly below one but parts of the country that will need tougher action and it will need to come soon.

17 hours ago, Victorian said:

Did you have a 'Yoony' experience?

Being angry at young people for wanting to act like young people (when cases were comparatively low) comes across as a bit bitter.

I had a great time when I studied at Edinburgh Uni ! It’s a great university ! There were ofcourse the usual toffs whom I steered clear off 😂😂there were only a handful of working class students in my year . Probably even less now I guess 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic