Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Just now, redjambo said:

Indeed. Personally, I got the belt several times and all it did was make me despise authority.

The sheer violence of it really shocked me as a child. Not so much the pain just the realisation that grown ups can hurt you like that for no real reason. Thanks Mrs Scott, you wicked old cow. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. Personally, I got the belt several times and all it did was make me despise authority.

I got it once ( Miss Ramage Geography !)  It did nothing to change my behavior. In fact made me more belligerent and rebellious. Although I never got the belt again. Its hard to think that parents accepted this abuse ?  At least we have moved on . 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, JamesM48 said:

I got it once ( Miss Ramage Geography !)  It did nothing to change my behavior. In fact made me more belligerent and rebellious. Although I never got the belt again. Its hard to think that parents accepted this abuse ?  At least we have moved on . 

Mad that teachers got away with disciplining someone else's child that way. 

Weakened Offender
2 hours ago, steve123 said:

To leave the West of Scotland in Tier 3 along with the East, I can accept Edinburgh etc still being in tier 3 due to caution but I think the West should have been in tier 4 probably before today but def today I appreciate their numbers are tailing a bit but they are at a high level and leveling off at that.

Makes perfect sense. 

44 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

The sheer violence of it really shocked me as a child. Not so much the pain just the realisation that grown ups can hurt you like that for no real reason. Thanks Mrs Scott, you wicked old cow. 

At the time I just accpted that that was the risk you took. Looking back I can't say it did me any harm but then that's just me.  Was it a deterrant?  Yes in some cases but that was usually down to the utter maniacs that dished it out to hurt, and yes, that sheer violence!

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It must be the easiest job on the planet to do things a wee bit better than Boris and get praised for it.

You think that's easy with all the money,connections and expertise at the fingertips of HMG. Let's be honest it's a good bit better. All our country is not in a full lockdown after all and our levels of infection and death are lower. Maybe it's not as easy as you think.

2 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

Its a difficult one since politicians are the ones making decisions affecting our daily lives.  So hard to separate. 

While that is true there is no point in causing division with partisan political points. 

The four nations of the UK are represented by four different political parties and all are imposing restrictions and handling the pandemic in a similar manner. 

I'm prepared to accept that all are acting or trying to act in the publics best interests.  Mistakes have been made but its easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsight imo. 

Malinga the Swinga
5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

You think that's easy with all the money,connections and expertise at the fingertips of HMG. Let's be honest it's a good bit better. All our country is not in a full lockdown after all and our levels of infection and death are lower. Maybe it's not as easy as you think.

Who said it was easy? No one making them be politicians, it is their own thirst for power and influence that makes them take job on. All you care about is 'being better then England'. Is that the sole ambition we can have? What about measuring up to Germany? We aren't doing as good a job as them. 

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

And on queue, one of believers turns up. No point in debating , you will never accept your party made a decision that caused deaths. 

You take loads of people from a Covid hot-spot, put them untested into an enclosed environment full of elderly and infirm, and suddenly, you have mass outbreaks of covid causing deaths. You put that down to coincidence then. 

Did the same not happen in England and Wales. Not saying that excuses what happened but Hospitals were in danger of running out of beds. 

Would people have preferred the hospitals full up with old people and shut for Covid emergencies. 

It's easy to criticise with the benefit of hindsite. 

I don't like the way people like yourself demonise people who are trying their best. 

Before you start your typical believer crap I have sympathy for all the UK leaders in this situation. 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Did the same not happen in England and Wales. Not saying that excuses what happened but Hospitals were in danger of running out of beds. 

Would people have preferred the hospitals full up with old people and shut for Covid emergencies. 

I don't like the way people like yourself demonise people who are trying their best. 

Before you start your typical believer crap I have sympathy for all the UK leaders in this situation. 

That is acceptable if it was what government admitted but no, they say decision had no impact on Care Home deaths. That is sweeping decision under carpet. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Ah, the return of that familiar refrain:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🎶

Four legs good, two legs bad;

Scotland good, England bad;

Nicola good, Boris bad

🎵🎶

Wha’s like us?

:rofl:

20 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Boris is a puffed up clown with a Winston Churchill fixation and a total disregard for the working class. If being better than that twat is the main political ambition then god help us. 

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, luckydug said:

In addition, did the hospitals run out of beds? Don't believe they did. 

13 minutes ago, luckydug said:

It wasn’t ok though. People surely need held to account for mistakes that cost life. I know what you mean about folk point scoring but it needs discussed. 

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, weehammy said:

Since Tiers 0 and 4 apparently don’t exist, we really do have a three tier system.

Close.

We have a tier 3 system.

Regardless of data and trends, you're tier 3. 

East Lothian is low on all the metrics apart from one which is high. That metric is percentage of tests which are positive. Given that those being tested are displaying symptoms then that's always going to be quite high. 

Its the equivalent of what percentage of people in a cemetery are dead? 

On 31/10/2020 at 14:07, redjambo said:
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Close.

We have a tier 3 system.

Regardless of data and trends, you're tier 3. 

East Lothian is low on all the metrics apart from one which is high. That metric is percentage of tests which are positive. Given that those being tested are displaying symptoms then that's always going to be quite high. 

Its the equivalent of what percentage of people in a cemetery are dead? 

Can anyone explain why aberdeenshire remains at level 2. Everything is low or very low so what is the justification.  The tier system was a real opportunity to get public confidence in a proper system and they have made a complete hibs of it. Even in level 1 areas they are stopping home visits.  So does that not make it level 2 then.

Edited by connlach

11 minutes ago, connlach said:

Can anyone explain why aberdeenshire remains at level 2. Everything is low or very low so what is the justification.  The tier system was a real opportunity to get public confidence in a proper system and they have made a complete hibs of it. Even in level 1 areas they are stopping home visits.  So does that not make it level 2 then.

Yes I agree with you regarding the point of getting the general public on board with this system. I was initially against it but it seemed to be a fairer system than a national lockdown. In principle it sounds fair but in practice its been all over the place. I also dont think the size of our country helps either in having so many areas with different tiers as they are all relatively close to each other. 

4 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Who said it was easy? No one making them be politicians, it is their own thirst for power and influence that makes them take job on. All you care about is 'being better then England'. Is that the sole ambition we can have? What about measuring up to Germany? We aren't doing as good a job as them. 

GinRummy said it was easy and you are the guy who told me i should learn to read.

You don't know me and don't know what i care about but the fact that you think you do says an awful lot about you. Are you managing to convince yourself of the rubbish you post by repeating it ever more frequently and refusing to engage in proper discussion whilst abusing people who challenge your views?

What do you know of the decision making that led to people in hospitals being discharged into care homes? Virtually nothing is my view and that's why you choose to abuse me rather than discuss the issue. You want to apportion blame though without telling us why the FM is responsible. If she is responsible it would likely have emerged by now but i doubt very much if she had any personal involvement but that is not to absolve the government just pointing out the obvious. Whoever is responsible may have to face repercussions but i also doubt if anybody made such a decision whilst being fully aware of the repercussions. 

What level of arrogance does it take to come on here day after day and vilify politicians and scientists and yet not be able to provide any coherent reasoning yourself? Your self appointed role as the witchfinder general isn't cutting it. Most of us know the FM is doing a good job.

6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It must be the easiest job on the planet to do things a wee bit better than Boris and get praised for it.

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Boris is a puffed up clown with a Winston Churchill fixation and a total disregard for the working class. If being better than that twat is the main political ambition then god help us. 

I don't think i said being better than Boris was the main political ambition. I just pointed out that we are.

6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

I don't think i said being better than Boris was the main political ambition. I just pointed out that we are.

I never said you did. 

Heartsmad1874
6 hours ago, coconut doug said:

GinRummy said it was easy and you are the guy who told me i should learn to read.

You don't know me and don't know what i care about but the fact that you think you do says an awful lot about you. Are you managing to convince yourself of the rubbish you post by repeating it ever more frequently and refusing to engage in proper discussion whilst abusing people who challenge your views?

What do you know of the decision making that led to people in hospitals being discharged into care homes? Virtually nothing is my view and that's why you choose to abuse me rather than discuss the issue. You want to apportion blame though without telling us why the FM is responsible. If she is responsible it would likely have emerged by now but i doubt very much if she had any personal involvement but that is not to absolve the government just pointing out the obvious. Whoever is responsible may have to face repercussions but i also doubt if anybody made such a decision whilst being fully aware of the repercussions. 

What level of arrogance does it take to come on here day after day and vilify politicians and scientists and yet not be able to provide any coherent reasoning yourself? Your self appointed role as the witchfinder general isn't cutting it. Most of us know the FM is doing a good job.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to not understand that sending covid positive people into care homes would lead to deaths.

Nucky Thompson
7 hours ago, coconut doug said:

We are doing slightly better than England and that's nothing to brag about

The Mighty Thor
21 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don’t follow your logic, if the numbers isolating has gone up recently then the suggests that school children are following the increase rather than leading it. Also 2500 isolating can be caused by considerably less than 100 positive tests, the track and trace in schools is excellent, just put the whole year off.  Schools are not the problem. 

The Herald front page this morning 600 (six hundred) pupils test positive in Lanarkshire. 

East Lothian last week =69 positive cases from the total population. 

Schools are not the problem. Right you are chief. 

6 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

We are doing slightly better than England and that's nothing to brag about

I wee slightly beat Hibs in the 2012 Cup final. If that what slightly now means. 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

I wee slightly beat Hibs in the 2012 Cup final. If that what slightly now means. 

That's no a very good analogy ri. We destroyed Hibs

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The Herald front page this morning 600 (six hundred) pupils test positive in Lanarkshire. 

Schools are a huge problem but i have massive doubts about the governments closing them again. They simply won't do it and we'll be stuck in this tier system for a while because even though schools are open and everything else is closed/restricted we still have a high number of cases in many regions.

Nucky Thompson
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Are there any stats about how many are going home to infect their parents?

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Same article talks about 4000 isolating. 

Give it a minute and someone will be along to tell you that kids don't get it and kids don't spread it and its folks at home getting pished and those going to enjoy dinner with their partner at a local restaurant.

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Schools are a huge problem but i have massive doubts about the governments closing them again. They simply won't do it and we'll be stuck in this tier system for a while because even though schools are open and everything else is closed/restricted we still have a high number of cases in many regions.

Ding ding. We have a winner. 

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ding ding. We have a winner. 

The strategy is close everything apart from schools and hope it works.

It's mental.

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

The strategy is close everything apart from schools and hope it works.

It's mental.

Isn't it. 

The steadfast refusal to publish the data the whole strategy is based on and the lack of data as to outbreak by sector is damning. 

I

29 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Well they are all going home, so risking infecting their parents. That isn't very good is it?

The thing about the schools policy is she should never have opened her mouth about keeping schools open. Surely if your policy is to close sectors and parts of the country where the virus is spreading, you can't more or less rule out closing schools, if that is where it is

spreading?

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

I agree we need to see the data for sectors, but the Herald article doesn't show us where transmissions are occurring. It shows us school age children may be a problem, but we need further age breakdown - 15% of the population is at school, less than 7% tested positive in a month in the worst hit areas.

I know I am not going to convince you but if anything needs to close in schools it is only the top few years, the problem with that its where you then find the teachers for setting home schooling etc.

Schools might be a problem, but they are in my opinion not THE problem

If schools do shut the top few years there might be a problem stopping those kids mixing socially. I agree though, for economic reasons, the top few years should close first.

Nucky Thompson

There was a news article yesterday on BBC about how kids had forgotten how to use a knife and fork when schools were closed during the first wave. Also some had to go back into nappies.

I don't think schools should close, or pubs that follow the rules for that matter

Heartsmad1874

Guy on GMB from Texas who was part of the trials said it felt like a mild hangover for 2-3 days.

Sooner this thing comes the better.

31 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Guy on GMB from Texas who was part of the trials said it felt like a mild hangover for 2-3 days.

Sooner this thing comes the better.

Was that vaccine or having Covid that was like a mild hangover?

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Was that vaccine or having Covid that was like a mild hangover?

Sorry should have made it more clear! Having the vaccine was like a mild hangover for 2/3 days.

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

Sorry should have made it more clear! Having the vaccine was like a mild hangover for 2/3 days.

No need to apologise, it's quite clear reading it back. It's just the guy I met who'd have Covid described it in that way too

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

That's exactly how my neighbour describes having actual covid-19.

Sooner we get the vulnerable and key workers banged up with this the better.

Strange how people were really concerned about a generation of intellectually deficient children back in the summer when we weren't 100% sure schools would reopen, yet now people are demanding that they close because they want to go to the pub. 😂

Dennis Reynolds
6 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I am really optimistic about this vaccine and the huge benefits we are going to get from it, proper normality not the fake kind we had in the summer.

My one nagging worry are the amount of people on social media who say they will not take it and the only ones saying they will are those that say they have to as they are at risk. Hopefully like all social media it is just amplifying the voices of the fringes rather than a true reflection.

I think your last sentence is correct. People who like to bitch/moan/make a scene are always the loudest.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Strange how people were really concerned about a generation of intellectually deficient children back in the summer when we weren't 100% sure schools would reopen, yet now people are demanding that they close because they want to go to the pub. 😂

I want them closed because we keep being told restricting interactions is the best way to bring this to an end quickly and that kids will kill their grannies. I want it to end so I can see my family and friends again.

I'd prefer we just stopped the restrictions but if we're not going to do that, let's at least commit to our strategy rather than part in, part out...

...do the hokey cokey while you turn around and make it up day by day

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Well they are all going home, so risking infecting their parents. That isn't very good is it?

The thing about the schools policy is she should never have opened her mouth about keeping schools open. Surely if your policy is to close sectors and parts of the country where the virus is spreading, you can't more or less rule out closing schools, if that is where it is

spreading?

Can you just clarify that you are asking the Scottish Government to close the schools and open the pubs, during a pandemic? 😁

Captain Sausage

There are two reasons that schools will stay open, or only close as the absolute last resort. 

1) Economy - kids in schools = parents able to work. It’s not universal, but it’s a massive economic lever to lose if you close schools as 1 or both parents have to stop working to look after their children. 

2) Child welfare - it’s pretty eye opening to read some of the comments on this thread. In my opinion, child welfare should trump just about everything else. The damning report into the impact of schools closing in lockdown season 1 and the particular impact on those from disadvantaged backgrounds will have serious ramifications in future. Another go at that will only further the gap in our youth between the haves and have nots. 

1 minute ago, Weakened Offender said:

Can you just clarify that you are asking the Scottish Government to close the schools and open the pubs, during a pandemic? 😁

I can't clarify it no. Mainly because that isn't what I'm suggesting.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic