Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
15 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

No need to go around all the licensed premises as I have already posted. Go around say 100 and close the 10 or 20 that are not complying and the message would quickly get to the rest of the licensed premises. 

Alternatively don't bother and just shut them all down.

In.my part of the world I'd say 80% were compliant with the rules or guidelines.p

If only it were that easy, I have my doubts if that would work with some of the people who run pubs. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heartsmad1874

Fife, Perth and Kinross all dropping to Level 3. Doesn't sound like Glasgow and Lanarkshire are bad enough for Level 4.

She did say Perth and Kinross weren't quite at Level 3 stats quite yet but done it anyway probs due to Dundee being nearby.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Do folk no get sarcasm on here? Fs, I wasn't being serious. 

Sorry. Thought it was one of your better ideas TBH.

26 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I'm using Liverpool because that is where they are doing the testing, and yes it is interesting, not sure why you are getting your knickers in a twist about it TBH

Because I think it's a shite comparison, that do you?

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If only it were that easy, I have my doubts if that would work with some of the people who run pubs. 

As with every group there are outriders. But faced with complying or facing a serious risk of being shut down I think the threat would concentrate the minds of most of the offenders. And protect the majority who have applied the rules

Edited by Francis Albert

We had booked to Crieff next week so was inevitable Perth and Edinburgh wouldn't be at Tier 2....

Apologies to all.

Really need out of the house so may book somewhere to stay locally but not quite the plan. Hey ho.

Nucky Thompson

The testing numbers seem to be a lot lower lately

Is this another new way the SG are calculating/twisting the way that they count positive cases?

19 minutes ago, Costanza said:

We had booked to Crieff next week so was inevitable Perth and Edinburgh wouldn't be at Tier 2....

Apologies to all.

Really need out of the house so may book somewhere to stay locally but not quite the plan. Hey ho.

Staying local might help the local economy though so why not 

So basically all regions with any sort of densely populated areas, regardless of infection rates are level 3 for varying reasons. Seems quite odd that all roads lead to level 3. Despite the concern for rising numbers no level 4 areas yet and no new candidates for level 2. 

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So basically all regions with any sort of densely populated areas, regardless of infection rates are level 3 for varying reasons. Seems quite odd that all roads lead to level 3. Despite the concern for rising numbers no level 4 areas yet and no new candidates for level 2. 

Aberdeen City is level 2.

I had another friend who was waiting on his results today after testing on Monday. His kid tested positive, so did his dad, sister and brother in law - they all visit him as he gets a bit of home help due a number of illnesses he has.

He tested negative! Despite being vulnerable and basically having no immune system, he managed to avoid it, even though he had his wean for the last week (who is now isolating with is infected sister and brother in law).

Really strange how this thing works. 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Idiiots on this thread don't make decisions like sending non tested hospital patients into care homes though. 

Oh come on, that had no effect on anything whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I stand corrected.  I’m glad somewhere is doing well enough for less restrictions. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

GET THOSE EAST COAST PUNTERS INTO TIER 4. Always said you canny trust those Edinburgh people...

Naw ma fault, im never oot.

5 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I had another friend who was waiting on his results today after testing on Monday. His kid tested positive, so did his dad, sister and brother in law - they all visit him as he gets a bit of home help due a number of illnesses he has.

He tested negative! Despite being vulnerable and basically having no immune system, he managed to avoid it, even though he had his wean for the last week (who is now isolating with is infected sister and brother in law).

Great news. Nice to hear someone in his position has somehow managed to avoid it. 

6 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Indeed. Two of my relatives are partners and share the same bed - one of them tested positive, the other negative. Go figure. The negative person says that it was probably due to the large doses of Vitamin D they were taking, but who knows.

Today's Battle of the Lothians (per-100,000 case stats):

West 16, Mid 14, City 12, East 9.

So, a better result than lately from West Lothian.

husref musemic
58 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Fife, Perth and Kinross all dropping to Level 3. Doesn't sound like Glasgow and Lanarkshire are bad enough for Level 4.

She did say Perth and Kinross weren't quite at Level 3 stats quite yet but done it anyway probs due to Dundee being nearby.

let's not let facts get in the way of the latest diktat.

Screenshot_20201110-153035.png

Governor Tarkin
26 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Only because it's geographically remote enough from Glasgow to discourage day-tripping weegie sesh merchants.

Nucky Thompson
25 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Oh come on, that had no effect on anything whatsoever.

Repeat after me 'The Scottish government are always right' :hypno:

'All hail queen Nicola' :notworthy:

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Repeat after me 'The Scottish government are always right' :hypno:

'All hail queen Nicola' :notworthy:

Thank you for your positive contribution to the debate on coronavirus. :D

Can people not just try to put aside their political opinions on this?

33 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

This argument with you today is exactly why I take breaks from this thread, I'm not even sure why you were arguing with me. The thread spent a day discussing mainly schools and hospitality, I posted something about mass testing in schools, I am not sure why you were so offended by it. As the thread discussion had focused on schools I thought it might be interesting to know if this testing showed the virus was higher or lower in schools than in the population in general.

I'm not offended by anything you've posted. If you cannot accept someone having a difference of opinion to you or you can't cope with someone questioning what you have posted then maybe taking a break from the thread isn't a bad idea. Otherwise stop moaning about it and just argue your point.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
39 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

did they have symptoms? they could all be false positives if so

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Its a difficult one since politicians are the ones making decisions affecting our daily lives.  So hard to separate. 

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

"The current rate of operational false-positive swab tests in the UK is unknown; preliminary estimates show it could be somewhere between 0·8% and 4·0%"

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(20)30453-7/fulltext

So, very unlikely that they were all false positives. And do remember, lack of symptoms is not a sure sign of a false positive since many folk are asymptomatic anyway.

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

You're welcome red :P

It's hard when politicians are winging it and annoying when some people can't accept the SG being criticised 

2 minutes ago, Robbofan99 said:

Its a difficult one since politicians are the ones making decisions affecting our daily lives.  So hard to separate. 

I appreciate that, but we should be concentrating on and critiquing the decisions that are made, not on who is making them, no?

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I appreciate that, but we should be concentrating on and critiquing the decisions that are made, not on who is making them, no?

On that note I don't think the decision makers have covered themselves in glory today.

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You're welcome red :P

It's hard when politicians are winging it and annoying when some people can't accept the SG being criticised 

:P :D

I think there are very few folk on here who think that everything that the SG do is infallible, Nucky. Defence of the SG on one particular issue does not necessarily mean that the person defending them supports them on all issues, or on all aspects of the government's reaction to coronavirus. I personally feel that the SG has done not too badly in difficult circumstances, but has made a couple of significant mistakes all the same.

2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

On that note I don't think the decision makers have covered themselves in glory today.

With which particular decision(s)?

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

With which particular decision(s)?

To leave the West of Scotland in Tier 3 along with the East, I can accept Edinburgh etc still being in tier 3 due to caution but I think the West should have been in tier 4 probably before today but def today I appreciate their numbers are tailing a bit but they are at a high level and leveling off at that.

Edited by steve123

Although not a SNP voter (never have) I’ve been pretty supportive of the way they’ve handled this and I’ve defended the 5 tier system to English friend’s jokes that she just wanted to be different to England.  I thought it would allow a more nuanced approach.

But this is b****cks.  If they’re so keen on erring on the side of caution why aren’t Glasgow and the Lanarkshires in tier 4? 

Perth having to suffer because of its proximity to Dundee.  
Pitlochry in the same tier as Pollockshields.

6 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

But if a group of 4 friends turned up did they all sit at their own separate table (over 1 metre apart) or at the same table?

The next time the pubs or restaurants open, maybe go out of your house and give it a try. 

3 minutes ago, steve123 said:

To leave the West of Scotland in Tier 3 along with the East, I can accept Edinburgh etc still being in tier 3 due to caution but I think the West should have been in tier 4 probably before today but def today I appreciate their numbers are tailing a bit but they are at a high level and leveling off at that.

I too have been surprised at how broad Tier 3 has turned out to be, and that there should have been some distinction between the east and the west due to the difference between the figures. You're right in that the figures from the west were down today - I just hope that that drop is sustained.

I personally would have had Lanarkshire and some of the Glasgow council areas in Tier 4 long before now - I think that it was a mistake not to do so. I'm not so sure about placing them in Tier 4 now though. It's a tough call.

5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Although not a SNP voter (never have) I’ve been pretty supportive of the way they’ve handled this and I’ve defended the 5 tier system to English friend’s jokes that she just wanted to be different to England.  I thought it would allow a more nuanced approach.

But this is b****cks.  If they’re so keen on erring on the side of caution why aren’t Glasgow and the Lanarkshires in tier 4? 

Perth having to suffer because of its proximity to Dundee.  
Pitlochry in the same tier as Pollockshields.

The whole idea of a 5 tier system was that the approach could be more nuanced and focussed. It hasn't turned out like that though. It has turned out to be "Well you're all in tier 3 unless we're completely happy that you should be in a lower tier". Perhaps no need for 5 tiers if that's going to be the case.

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I too have been surprised at how broad Tier 3 has turned out to be, and that there should have been some distinction between the east and the west due to the difference between the figures. You're right in that the figures from the west were down today - I just hope that that drop is sustained.

I personally would have had Lanarkshire and some of the Glasgow council areas in Tier 4 long before now - I think that it was a mistake not to do so. I'm not so sure about placing them in Tier 4 now though. It's a tough call.

Yea I think we are on the same page really, I would probably just suggest that if Glasgow numbers now justify tier 3 then Edinburgh etc would have a case for being down to tier 2 today.

33 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Aye all have same symptoms. Sore head, cough and pressure on the chest.

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

16 day circuit breaker we were told 

5 weeks and counting 🙄

Another couple of weeks and we would be just as well letting it ride till the vaccine is ready. At least that's what we'll be told.

17 minutes ago, steve123 said:

In your opinion, what are the big differences from Tier 3 to 4 that will make a noticeable difference to the numbers?

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

16 day circuit breaker we were told 

5 weeks and counting 🙄

Exactly.

The deflection response from the Nats is that they replaced that with the 5 Tiers.  They have ****ed that up like they did with the "circuit breaker".

As I sad a few pages back at best they were deliberately misleading the public, and worst blatant liars.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I think the east-west thing is a bit of a distraction tbh. It’s all central Scotland. Having different tiers is problematic and maybe even, in practice, not really possible at all. Could Cumbernauld ever be in level 3 and Glasgow be in level 2 for example? Or Musselburgh in level 2 but portobello in level 3. That’s not even mentioning the day trippers sponsored by Tennents Lager 😁. The whole thing is a pile of shite imo. The size of our country and the concentration of the population in the central belt makes me wonder who dreamt all this stuff up and how far they really thought it through. 

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Another couple of weeks and we would be just as well letting it ride till the vaccine is ready. At least that's what we'll be told.

That will be six to nine months to roll out effectively.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic