Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Reported in press over weekend. Hancock said he wouldn’t rule vaccination being rolled out this year. 

NHS memo getting ready for a potential rollout.

never saw that cheers.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

fake picture i know you have a dachshund

Damn caught out.............but still, you never know.

image.jpeg.318c91262d192cc7ac8a96b3ddd1624c.jpeg

4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

In relation to the discussion above, today's per-100,000 infection stats in the Lothian councils:

West Lothian 17, Midlothian 11, City 10, East Lothian 9.

And if I remember rightly Glasgow's is around 40 , interesting to see where this is going especially with lively hoods at risk.

husref musemic
10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

What would Nicola do without her daily briefings live on the BBC at lunchtime?

her job ?

11 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Some actual work?

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You don't but you have to give details, and if you turn up without a booking you aren't guaranteed to get in.

The places breaking the rules may find themselves shut down - easy thing to police.

It’s just a name and phone number usually, don’t ask where you’re from and you don’t even have to put the correct details down as nobody is asking for ID. 
Ive heard and seen a few pubs not adhering to restrictions, some in outside areas in view of the public. It’s up to the small number of LSOs from the council to go round and catch them, I haven’t heard of many being fined unfortunately. That’s why pubs are shut. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

That’s not quite as bad as I thought for West Lothian. How does that compare to the Weedge?

Does it just get worse the further west you go🧐

South Lanarkshire 47, Glasgow City 42, East Dunbartonshire 41... You can get the rest on https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/local (Breakdown by Council Area->Detailed).

The 8 councils with the highest figures are all in the west central belt and Ayrshire. Only Inverclyde isn't in the top 12.

If she does put east Lothian in same tier as the west of Scotland then I hope someone asks her a few hard hitting questions as the Scottish media never seem to give her a hard time 

2 minutes ago, theshed said:

If she does put east Lothian in same tier as the west of Scotland then I hope someone asks her a few hard hitting questions as the Scottish media never seem to give her a hard time 

I am hoping she may get a bit of a grilling on it in Parliament tomorrow.

Edited by steve123

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, theshed said:

What day are these tiers being announced?

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Does it just get worse the further west you go🧐

Doesn't everything?

20 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What day are these tiers being announced?

According to https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nicola-sturgeon-coronavirus-updates-live-19166534

It comes as the Scottish Government's new strategic framework is set to be discussed by MSPs in Holyrood this week.

If the new five tier system is given the green light, it will come into force at the beginning of November.

Nicola Sturgeon has said the alerts will be implemented by local authority and not health board and are set to be reviewed weekly.

She added that areas will be informed what alert they will be under by the end of this week ahead of the new system.

Edited by redjambo

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It’s just a name and phone number usually, don’t ask where you’re from and you don’t even have to put the correct details down as nobody is asking for ID. 
Ive heard and seen a few pubs not adhering to restrictions, some in outside areas in view of the public. It’s up to the small number of LSOs from the council to go round and catch them, I haven’t heard of many being fined unfortunately. That’s why pubs are shut. 

The old bill were in the Goodies wagging their fingers every couple of days.

To be fair to the staff they were trying their hardest, but some punters just refuse not to carry on as normal. I only poped in a couple of times. Boroughmuir rugby club suited us better as they have a huge terrace outside for the wee man to stot about on.

I'd be all for a postcode entry to hospitality if it meant we could get ours opened up again. A nice meal out and a bottle or two of wine a couple of times a week is one of life's pleasures.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

According to https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/nicola-sturgeon-coronavirus-updates-live-19166534

It comes as the Scottish Government's new strategic framework is set to be discussed by MSPs in Holyrood this week.

If the new five tier system is given the green light, it will come into force at the beginning of November.

It’s saying in that report cases are soaring yet today during her live update she said we are seeing the benefits of this mini lockdown 

3 minutes ago, theshed said:

It’s saying in that report cases are soaring yet today during her live update she said we are seeing the benefits of this mini lockdown 

Cases are soaring to a massive 99,980 people per 100,000 not having it in almost all areas of the country.

Its a tsunami of well people

3 minutes ago, theshed said:

That's journalism for you. What I'm seeing is a mini plateau, with it too early to call whether it's just a blip on the upwards trend or the start of a turnaround.

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Spain declared national emergency yet keep the bars and restaurants open between 6 am and 11 pm and leave it to bars to do the right things re distancing , cleaning etc 

Scotland -We dont care what procedures you put in place -  yer closed till we decide otherwise !!

It's maddening.

Putting a curfew on bars and restaurants I can understand, the powers that be don't want people to be out and about into the small hours. But to close them completely just defies logic to me.

Surely it's better to have people meeting up in small numbers, socially distanced, in hospitality venues than it is to have folk gathering in houses? Because that's what people will do - and are doing - if there is nowhere else to go in the evenings.

Then you have my infant daughter being looked after by her aunties while we're at work. That's fine, per the rules, but if we want to visit them we have to do so outdoors - what's the point in that? Is the wee one immune all day but if we happen to sit on the sofa we're going to get Covid?

45 minutes ago, steve123 said:

And if I remember rightly Glasgow's is around 40 , interesting to see where this is going especially with lively hoods at risk.

In the seven days up to October 25,  the positivity rate per 100,000 people was 327.8 in Lanarkshire, 244.4 in Greater Glasgow and Clyde and 104.3 in Lothian. It was 97 in Tayside, where they're considering tighter restrictions.

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Cases are soaring to a massive 99,980 people per 100,000 not having it in almost all areas of the country.

Its a tsunami of well people

I disagree with your comment that all is rosy in the garden, Maude, but that's your opinion and you are most welcome to it. :)

However, your stats are out given that folk don't have Covid for only one day, and also that there will be a large number of people who have it but aren't aware that they are infected. The stats that have been quoted in recent posts have generally been the new diagnosed infections on a given day.

I probably wouldn't have commented but I'm surprised that a doctor wouldn't be aware of this.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I disagree with your comment that all is rosy in the garden, Maude, but that's your opinion and you are most welcome to it. :)

However, your stats are out given that folk don't have Covid for only one day, and also that there will be a large number of people who have it but aren't aware that they are infected. The stats that have been quoted in recent posts have generally been the new diagnosed infections on a given day.

I probably wouldn't have commented but I'm surprised that a doctor wouldn't be aware of this.

I'm aware, thanks.

It was more the portrayal that there is a tidal wave of disease overwhelming the population.

Also bearing in mind that people get better and stop viral shedding, as well as fall ill/ start shedding, then for every person testing +ve someone else ( give or take_ ceases to be infectious/ infected), and the unreliability of the tests themselves then

If 20 people per day is their panic point for trashing jobs and the economy, then that seems pretty low.

Especially if you take out the nursing homes from the stats, as they are not really part of the general population as they cannot circulate anywhere and are in tier 6 lockdown already

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, theshed said:

They won’t lets kids out this weekend for Halloween but just reading they have gave the go ahead for an independence rally in Dundee this weekend 

How many people will travel up from Glasgow to join that when they aren’t meant to leave their own area 

Surely they know people will travel all over for this but they still let it go ahead🙄

Absolutely disgusting that numpties would think about having one just now and worse it’s being allowed

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

I'm aware, thanks.

It was more the portrayal that there is a tidal wave of disease overwhelming the population.

Also bearing in mind that people get better and stop viral shedding, as well as fall ill/ start shedding, then for every person testing +ve someone else ( give or take_ ceases to be infectious/ infected), and the unreliability of the tests themselves then

If 20 people per day is their panic point for trashing jobs and the economy, then that seems pretty low.

Especially if you take out the nursing homes from the stats, as they are not really part of the general population as they cannot circulate anywhere and are in tier 6 lockdown already

The entirety of a tsunami doesn't come at once like a normal wave does. It is more of a relentless flow of water which does it damage by the effect of accumulation.

Anyway, I do get your argument. I just argue from the side of the tracks that doesn't want to see the virus run riot with the carnage that would bring.

I'm not so sure that nursing homes shouldn't be part of the stats. Under the current lockdowns, we've still had infection spreads in care homes, and if the virus can get in then it can get out (and no doubt has at times). The very fact that we don't seem to be able to fully protect care homes, even with the current severe restrictions imposed on them, is a significant warning sign that we can't really defend against the tsunami if we let it keep coming.

2 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Been that way for days if not weeks. Willing to shut down Aberdeen in isolation, but seems reluctant to do the same to her beloved West of Scotland. Wonder why.

Glasgow had a local lockdown in September, same as Aberdeen.

The tier drop explodes.   Don't mind it being tier 3 for a further period to consolidate the stabilising picture.  Looks like it would move to tier 2 fairly quickly.

Edited by Victorian

9 minutes ago, steve123 said:

If that turns out to be the case, then imo the tier system is most definitely wrong in not being able to distinguish the current situation in the west with that in the east. In effect, it won't allow a sufficiently fine-grained approach. Let's wait to see what the initial tier placings are though.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

If that turns out to be the case, then imo the tier system is most definitely wrong in not being able to distinguish the current situation in the west with that in the east. In effect, it won't allow a sufficiently fine-grained approach. Let's wait to see what the initial tier placings are though.

"There are some signs in the data of progress in the east of the central belt area, for example in Edinburgh and East Lothian, but some further consolidation of that progress is likely to be required before it would be safe, on public health grounds, to move them to Level 2."

As long as Edinburgh cases don't start rising again we'll be in level 2 soon, whereas Lanarkshire is close to moving up to the top tier.

Just now, Ray Gin said:

"There are some signs in the data of progress in the east of the central belt area, for example in Edinburgh and East Lothian, but some further consolidation of that progress is likely to be required before it would be safe, on public health grounds, to move them to Level 2."

As long as Edinburgh cases don't start rising again we'll be in level 2 soon, whereas Lanarkshire is close to moving up to the top tier.

Thanks. I think that may tie in with my earlier comment about the government being overly cautious before moving an area down a tier. What I should really do is look back in the data to determine how long ago it was that Lothian began experiencing clear water between itself and the west, but I don't know if I have the time. If Edinburgh does move down to level 2, it would give us an idea of the sort of time period we're looking at though.

Once again, it would be nice if the government could specify the decision-making criteria a bit more precisely to prevent us having to guess the mechanics.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Now this is only anecdotal, doug, so I understand that it doesn't carry any weight, but almost everyone I know has gone 180° and are now convinced that she's a ****.

Science tells adifferent story https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-more-liked-in-england-than-boris-johnson-zqh0gvf20  Nearly everybody has grown to appreciate her. I'm sure if Jason the Dentist got similar exposure around the UK his ratings would be stratospheric too. It's no wonder they don't want to let us go.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

In relation to the discussion above, today's per-100,000 infection stats in the Lothian councils:

E Lothian...:verysmug:

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

As much as I think the Welsh approach was utterly stupid, this guy and his misses are utter roasters.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

So your saying that my post is justifying criminal activity, really.

Well for your information, this year for the first time in about 5 years Mrs JJ isn't working a full shift on Christmas day, meaning for once we will have a 'proper christmas', albeit later in the day, and as there is usually just me at home myself on christmas day, then there will indeed be double the normal number of people with Mrs JJ being there as well.

But you jumped in with both feet and assumed that I was going to be breaking the rules with a party or whatever on christmas day, when in fact it was always just me and the wife, but you assumed something different, and in doing so just made a complete dick of yourself,  imo of course.

Imo too. 

husref musemic
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

If she can afford the 3is hrs /day for the propaganda slot then she must have a pretty light normal schedule.

So id say feel up?

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

9?! I’m pretty sure my neighbourhood was 1,000 per 100,000 less than a month ago. 

The Real Maroonblood
58 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Nicola Sturgeon has said the alerts will be implemented by local authority and not health board and are set to be reviewed weekly.

She added that areas will be informed what alert they will be under by the end of this week ahead of the new system.

Thanks for that.

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Science tells adifferent story https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-in-scotland-nicola-sturgeon-more-liked-in-england-than-boris-johnson-zqh0gvf20  Nearly everybody has grown to appreciate her. I'm sure if Jason the Dentist got similar exposure around the UK his ratings would be stratospheric too. It's no wonder they don't want to let us go.

Science??? It's a survey asking some people down south who don't have to put up with her shite :rofl:

4 minutes ago, King prawn said:

9?! I’m pretty sure my neighbourhood was 1,000 per 100,000 less than a month ago. 

These stats may have different baselines, although that's a huge figure even so. It could well have been a historic cumulative infection figure, or a figure of infections over a longer period than the daily figure we have been looking at. The other problem with neighbourhoods is that because of the small population sizes, a cluster of cases in the neighbourhood can send the per capita figure sky high. If you can find me the source of that figure, I can try to reconcile it for you.

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Science??? It's a survey asking some people down south who don't have to put up with her shite :rofl:

Do you have any evidence to support this view or is it just anecdotal?

55 minutes ago, Darren said:

In the seven days up to October 25,  the positivity rate per 100,000 people was 327.8 in Lanarkshire, 244.4 in Greater Glasgow and Clyde and 104.3 in Lothian. It was 97 in Tayside, where they're considering tighter restrictions.

Pretty sure they said that almost all cases in Tayside were in Dundee so would target there.

25 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I've crunched the data, and Greater Glasgow has only had at least double the 7-day rolling per-capita infection rate of Lothian since 17 October, 1.5x since 8 October. The first week of October was roughly 1.3x-1.4x, and September varied between about 1.5x to 4x.

Ainsley Harriott
5 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Swinney saying students may not be allowed home for Xmas. This will be interesting. 

I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously guy performs more U turns than a busy black cab driver.

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Bloody hell. Vic, it's that kind of meek, acquiescent attitude that allows governments to do whatever they want, move goalposts all over the shop and generally treat people like shite. You cannot possibly justify Edinburgh being treated the same as Glasgow in this context. In fact, given the state the country is now in, nobody should pay attention to a single word that comes out of the their lying mouths.

You're either at the wind up now or indicative of how well the fearmongers have done in their desire to create a house-bound, screen-based society. Do you and JiH do wee Zoom calls to decide who's going to post the saddest posts of the day?

You forgot to include me, jonesy. :)

That's a bit out of order though. We all know where you vehemently stand on the issue, but perhaps you should allow folk to have opposing views without the ad hominem attacks. After all, freedom of expression seems to be one of your central tenets.

25 minutes ago, OBE said:

E Lothian...:verysmug:

Bottom of the league.

I live in East Lothian. :verysmug:

Nucky Thompson
8 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Do you have any evidence to support this view or is it just anecdotal?

No evidence. Just what I see and hear.

We'll see at the next election, but it wouldn't surprise me if she cancelled them due to covid

Heartsmad1874
37 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Crazy that you believe that rubbish :lol: 

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Pretty sure they said that almost all cases in Tayside were in Dundee so would target there.

Over the last 7 days, new infections per-100,000 (over the whole week, divide by 7 for the daily average):

Dundee 214, Perth & Kinross 72, Angus 62.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic