Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

He's an Oxgangs boy now. What do you expect? 

LOL didnt know that 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Just read her Wiki page and scratching my head a bit to see why she was put in charge of this in the first place to be honest.  Apart from being part of the Conservative Party machine her actual experience appears to only been in the buisness world with large corporates and also with horses.

It's been like this for ages in this country, put someone in charge of a department who has little or no experience, whilst people with lots of experience are sidelined, it's crazy utter sheer crazy.

1 hour ago, CavySlaveJambo said:

What normally happens over time with Viruses is they mutate. But they never mutate to become a more severe illness but a milder one.  Over time that should also happen and that will also protect the NHS: 

That isn't true. Viruses can mutate to be a more deadly strain, or even one with simply a more severe non-fatal payload. It's not the case that all the viruses in the world mutate at once though. One particular virus in one particular location mutates and, if the conditions are correct, it may start spreading. However, if it is more deadly then its hosts will die more quickly and thus it propagates less well, contagiousness or aggressiveness being equal, than any less deadly strains which are out there. Thus the other strains become more prevalent. Competition is important amongst viruses.

If what you were saying were true, then the flu would become milder each year. It doesn't.

It is important to note that a virus will mutate every time it infects someone. It's just a question of whether that mutation is enough to affect the main characteristics of the virus or not. The vast majority of the time, it isn't. Sometimes it is enough however that the newly mutated virus can be considered a new "strain".

That's how I see it anyway.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

The give a daily update on the number discharged, not too difficult to subtract the day before total if you want to.

5,292 inpatients who tested positive for COVID-19 have been discharged from hospital since 5 March

How about the folk who are no longer considered to be in hospital due to Covid because they've been in for greater than the length of time under which they are counted as being Covid patients (with reference to the recent change in the Scottish hospital counting methodology that introduced this time period)? Genuine question. It's not always the case that someone in hospital gets dropped from the count because they die or they've been discharged. I guess that complicates things a little.

29 minutes ago, redjambo said:

How about the folk who are no longer considered to be in hospital due to Covid because they've been in for greater than the length of time under which they are counted as being Covid patients (with reference to the recent change in the Scottish hospital counting methodology that introduced this time period)? Genuine question. It's not always the case that someone in hospital gets dropped from the count because they die or they've been discharged. I guess that complicates things a little.

That will be a different number, this one is the number who have been discharged so they have left hospital (recovered) which was the question.

I think. 🥴

Captain Sausage
3 hours ago, coconut doug said:

I think you will also approve of much of what is written here https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/10/covid-19-and-the-political-utility-of-fear/  . The argument is moving on, a solution needs to be found. The NHS nees to be protected but if numbers fall substantially then resources can be diverted from economic support to community support where they should have been all along IMO.

Really good post. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

He's an Oxgangs boy now. What do you expect? 

We need more Oxgangs boys imo.

39 minutes ago, jonesy said:

In Spain, 11pm is lunch time.

Go to Madrid every year for the weekend 

Next door to the hotel is a great tapas restaurant I normally stop at when going back to hotel steaming roughly around 10pm. I’ve seen me go in and the place is quiet and when I’m leaving around an hour later the place is full, the Spanish seem

to appear from no where come 11pm when all I want is my bed 

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Missed opportunity for an X-factor-style gameshow. Inject ten lucky contestants, and if your arm doesn't fall off, your nuts don't turn green, or your heart doesn't explode, you win £100 and get to come back next week for another trial.

Sounds like that tv show Distraction from years ago with Jimmy Carr

On 24/10/2020 at 10:47, Governor Tarkin said:

Living the dream. :sweeet:

The 18 year old Bunnahabhain has just about the right measure of both imo.

The deep roasted chestnut flavour that harks back to the aroma you'd get as you walked past the boy that used to punt them on Princes Street in the winter time. Not as peaty as many an Islay but more than rubust enough to fight back a bit. 

I have one of their single casks that I picked up from the SMWS about a decade ago. Bought three at the time but panned two of them. Utterly divine. 

Saving the last one for washing down the heroin and eccies when at some point in the hopefully distant future it becomes clear that I'm not long for this earth.

:jjyay:

Might be the perfect opportunity to break it out to wet your son's head. Congratulations, btw.  A bottle of Vicks will surely work just as well on that final trip.  :D

So what is the punishment for say, an adult and 2 children knocking on a neighbour's door and maybe telling a joke on the doorstep to the person who opens the door?

The Amazon driver knocks at our door, is he going against government guidelines as well or is he ok as long as he doesn't tell a joke?

It's fecking ludicrous.

The government need told that most people are not stupid, some might be but a blanket ban isn't the answer.

Edited by graygo

I'm just ignoring their daft rules now. Quite happy to wear a mask, sanitise my hands and socially distance in public but I'm at folks houses every night for dinner or, they're at mine. 

Wee nippy Adolf can go and take her mockett bonce for a feckin shite. 

All the hard work done in the spring and summer pished doon the drain, all because the simpletons of society cannae do as their asked. 

Thank feck the world didn't need to rely on them during the first half of the 20th century. 

"I'm no sitting in no fecking trench" 

Edited by ri Alban

Captain Sausage
22 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

All the hard work done in the spring and summer pished doon the drain, all because the simpletons of society cannae do as their asked. 

Thank feck the world didn't need to rely on them during the first half of the 20th century. 

"I'm no sitting in no fecking trench" 

Revisionism of the highest order by aussieh yet again. 

Remember when you were boasting about manning up when you had ‘the flu’ and still going to work? Ripping into people who told you to stay off work? Every chance that was Covid you had pal. 

Despite your words, you’ve potentially played a much larger role as a vector than any of the ‘simpletons’ you’re on here lecturing. 

Captain Sausage

Dido Harding is giving Matt Hancock a run for his money as Britain’s most incompetent idiot. 

How the **** is she still in a job. She’s absolutely ****ed it. Get her to ****. 

Seems there's now a big upsurge in bible bashing anaw. All these god haters certainly don't mind rebellion at Christmas. 

You've all spoilt Christmas for everyone, simpletons. 

Oh and this is proof the Scottish education is fecked and has been for centuries. Thick feckers everywhere. 

Edited by ri Alban

European lockdown imminent. Boris deciding whether full UK down should be imposed for 2 weeks. 

So enjoy yourself before the police start baton whipping you for stupidity to your fellow citizens. 

5 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I'm just ignoring their daft rules now. Quite happy to wear a mask, sanitise my hands and socially distance in public but I'm at folks houses every night for dinner or, they're at mine. 

Wee nippy Adolf can go and take her mockett bonce for a feckin shite. 

Your social distancing in public, why do you bother, when the sanctuary of your home is potentially exposed?

That's 40 people been let go at one of the companies I work for. Part of a "restructuring" process - I hope they can find something new before Christmas but with the current situation it doesn't look promising :( 

2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Revisionism of the highest order by aussieh yet again. 

Remember when you were boasting about manning up when you had ‘the flu’ and still going to work? Ripping into people who told you to stay off work? Every chance that was Covid you had pal. 

Despite your words, you’ve potentially played a much larger role as a vector than any of the ‘simpletons’ you’re on here lecturing. 

Spot on. He is absolutely clueless. 

2 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Dido Harding is giving Matt Hancock a run for his money as Britain’s most incompetent idiot. 

How the **** is she still in a job. She’s absolutely ****ed it. Get her to ****. 

When senior members of the party who appointed you start calling for your head, then your time has to be up.

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Boots to start offering 12 min COVID tests in store, £120 a time. 

Apparently not for people who are displaying symptoms but those looking for ‘peace of mind’ 

The test is 97% accurate that doesn’t seem great to me but considering the problems with testing it might be not too bad.

From a perception point of view when high street retailers are offering a test that takes 12 min, whilst the government offers a test with a results period of 0-7 days it doesn’t look good. I understand the testing is different but just a lot of people are going to go into intracacities of test. 

Who can afford to throw £120 at such a test?

2 hours ago, OBE said:

Your social distancing in public, why do you bother, when the sanctuary of your home is potentially exposed?

It's not exposed though. 

48 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

It's not exposed though. 

No 10 and the Whitehouse didn't think they could be exposed either, care to tell me how you manage your dining bubble/bubbles with such confidence?

Edited by OBE

Just a wee graphical reminder of how well we as a planet are dealing with controlling Covid infections:

2000226396_Screenshotat2020-10-2609-05-53.png.34351201b0efd6c72b79868b48305b78.png

27 minutes ago, OBE said:

No 10 and the Whitehouse didn't think they could be exposed either, care to tell me how you manage your dining bubble/bubbles with such confidence?

Pffft, the Whitehouse and No 10 where there's hundreds of folk kicking around. Good comparison. 

None of us have got it and none of us are liable to catch it because we work from home and don't go anywhere to catch said virus. 

Ainsley Harriott
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Seems there's now a big upsurge in bible bashing anaw. All these god haters certainly don't mind rebellion at Christmas. 

You've all spoilt Christmas for everyone, simpletons. 

Oh and this is proof the Scottish education is fecked and has been for centuries. Thick feckers everywhere. 

Aye it's the fault of people trying to get on with things. I mean who would have thought a COVID virus would become more prevelant during cold/flu season. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Who can afford to throw £120 at such a test?

Have you managed to get your Flu jab yet?

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Pffft, the Whitehouse and No 10 where there's hundreds of folk kicking around. Good comparison. 

None of us have got it and none of us are liable to catch it because we work from home and don't go anywhere to catch said virus. 

Make up your mind, you claimed you're at friends for diner every night or they're at yours. How do you know no one has it, they might be asymptomatic? Or maybe all in your bubbles have been tested?

9 minutes ago, OBE said:

Make up your mind, you claimed you're at friends for diner every night or they're at yours. How do you know no one has it, they might be asymptomatic? Or maybe all in your bubbles have been tested?

Without getting too much into a debate, I totally get the need for masks, and vulnerable people to shield.

But to continue to stop life as it has with the economic and strain on businesses and individuals is it really right to keep going like this?

You don't know if they have the flu or a cold either but would that stop you going round someones house? It wouldn't.

Just now, OBE said:

Why is this relevant to you what folk do?

Nucky Thompson
17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Have you managed to get your Flu jab yet?

I got mine this morning at my GP.

I had an appointment to get my B12 jab, so the nurse just gave me the flu jab at the same time

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I got mine this morning at my GP.

I had an appointment to get my B12 jab, so the nurse just gave me the flu jab at the same time

A double whammy.👍

If you remember I mentioned earlier in the thread that I always resisted getting the jab.

However I got it 3 weeks ago at my pharmacy.

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A double whammy.👍

If you remember I mentioned earlier in the thread that I always resisted getting the jab.

Did you have any side effects like a sore arm or a wee temperature for a couple of days?

I usually feel flushed for a few hours after getting it, but nothing worse

3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

A double whammy.👍

Good man, the more people who get vaccinated the better. 👍

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Did you have any side effects like a sore arm or a wee temperature for a couple of days?

Speaking of side effects, I had the yellow fever vaccination done in February and managed to develop all 8 of the side effects the nurse warned me about :muggy: felt like I’d been hit by a bus.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I just felt a wee bit off the next day, then as the day wore on the better I got, as usual around the needle site was warm, hard & tender, that lasted a few days.

10 hours ago, graygo said:

So what is the punishment for say, an adult and 2 children knocking on a neighbour's door and maybe telling a joke on the doorstep to the person who opens the door?

The Amazon driver knocks at our door, is he going against government guidelines as well or is he ok as long as he doesn't tell a joke?

It's fecking ludicrous.

The government need told that most people are not stupid, some might be but a blanket ban isn't the answer.

The Amazon driver knocks your door, leaves the parcel on the doorstep and then steps back 2 meters. He doesn't hang around, and he doesn't get handed any money or sweeties from whoever answers the door.

2 minutes ago, OBE said:

Folk spread viruses.

Can only spread it if you've got it. Can only get it if you go out and mix with the public, which none of us do and hardly any of the public actually has it. 

The chances any of us catching are very slim to none. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic