Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

Seems like a long way away just now but good news regardless.

The good thing is that he seems like an open and honest sort.  Any sort of firm timetable at least gives a bit of a steer as to how long we stay in this limbo.  Maybe he's right and it starts during the 2nd quarter (assuming same for UK).  I can certainly keep with the programme for another 6 months or so.  

Might even start stocking up on the beer and start campaigning for a full alcohol ban from Dec 1.  ;)

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shanks said no

Vaccine for NHS staff and the vulnerable for Christmas?

Absolute fake news of the worst possible kind, deflecting from the growing unrest amongst the general public in the run up to a digital Christmas. The earliest the vaccine will reach anyone, other than clinical trials, is March IMHO.

--------------------

and after that rant,

congratulations @Governor Tarkin

5 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think someone's plaigurising the Sturgeon/Hitler thing some folk have got going on, up there.

Seen this today on Twitterverse.

Screenshot_20201025-104823_Twitter.jpg

Just one observation. I notice people don't need to mock up the UK government. They just post their pictures. Which is plenty. 

Edited by ri Alban

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

In all my travels and adventures I still maintian that he greatest students of philosophy and human nature that I have ever encountered were to be found pinging chalk-lines on the tennement roofs and stripping the wall-head lums of east central Scotland, ri.

Early last Tuesday morning. 👍

Another wee laddie for the young team.

We're all doing great and have been floating about on that big cloud of love ever since. 

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

Great to hear that mate 

Just now, Barack said:

A fair observation. 

If anyone wants some Covid-19 related comedy. Look up Lee Hurst (used to do "comedy") trending on Twitter.

Being absolutely annihilated by members of the public. Who are actually funny.

The football show Lee Hurst? They think it's all over, Lee Hurst? 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hearing on the news this morning that the Welsh Government are to have a review of their 'essential' items policy.

Looks like another u-turn from those in power is in the offing.

It was ridiculous but it looks like items that were on the list are ones where folk 'loiter' around more, checking this one, checking that one.

The sensible approach would be asking people to really consider if they really needed that t-shirt; jersey, even socks and underwear, hang off for a fortnight - and if so, try and be as quick as possible.

But this is the UK and possibly even worse in Scotland because of the 'Independence / Sturgeon factor'' unless it's enshrined in law, a highly recommended becomes 'eff off' I'll decide for a sizeable number of the populus.

Mask wearing a case in point.

I can only go by the multi purpose retail stores at Cameron Toll, Craigmillar, but none of Sainsbury, Aldi, Lidl, Home Bargains have re-introduced the queuing despite being asked to a fortnight ago.

If they don't what hope have we got.

Edited by DETTY29

22 minutes ago, Barack said:

A fair observation. 

If anyone wants some Covid-19 related comedy. Look up Lee Hurst (used to do "comedy") trending on Twitter.

Being absolutely annihilated by members of the public. Who are actually funny.

I had no idea he was like that. He has quite a few bellend mates anaw. 

4 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

This fact alone should set alarm bells ringing about his better judgement.

Lol true 

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

I thought he was a Nationalist, or was that his 4 legs good two legs better moment. It is surprising how many enjoyed a bit of queens patronage. 

Exactly . He’s a Hypocrite 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hearing on the news this morning that the Welsh Government are to have a review of their 'essential' items policy.

Looks like another u-turn from those in power is in the offing.

Aye they are at it . Tryin to see how far they can push people . Arseholes 

The American top Doctor Fauci has said there will be a vacine by the end of November aswell, does say it will take time to role out and will go to Health Workers etc first.

35 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It was ridiculous but it looks like items that were on the list are ones where folk 'loiter' around more, checking this one, checking that one.

The sensible approach would be asking people to really consider if they really needed that t-shirt; jersey, even socks and underwear, hang off for a fortnight - and if so, try and be as quick as possible.

But this is the UK and possibly even worse in Scotland because of the 'Independence / Sturgeon factor'' unless it's enshrined in law, a highly recommended becomes 'eff off' I'll decide for a sizeable number of the populus.

Mask wearing a case in point.

I can only go by the multi purpose retail stores at Cameron Toll, Craigmillar, but none of Sainsbury, Aldi, Lidl, Home Bargains have re-introduced the queuing despite being asked to a fortnight ago.

If they don't what hope have we got.

Same in the food aisles, people picking up this packet of bacon then that packet of bacon etc etc.

Mrs JJ had said she had to queue outside shops in Edinburgh, thankfully none of that nonsense down here, and hopefully it won't be re-introduced, was ok in the summer, but won't be much fun having to queue outside in the middle of December.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, steve123 said:

The American top Doctor Fauci has said there will be a vacine by the end of November aswell, does say it will take time to role out and will go to Health Workers etc first.

4 years they said before it gets to the general public. 

14 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Aye they are at it . Tryin to see how far they can push people . Arseholes 

That actually seems to be the case, introduce something and see how big the shitstorm is, if big enough do a quick u-turn.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

When you think of it in a general scale of vacine's etc that is about half the normal time.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

When you think of it in a general scale of vacine's etc that is about half the normal time.

Yeah seems to be the way, you would hope they might allow more companies to produce it so it speeds up a bit, there’s money to be made after all. 

31 minutes ago, Barack said:

You did Nazi that one coming, eh?

Not a very nice chap, by all accounts.

I read the the other stuff. The whataboutery is off the charts. 

Edited by ri Alban

17 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He just said today his estimate of the start of population roll-out is 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2021.   

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah seems to be the way, you would hope they might allow more companies to produce it so it speeds up a bit, there’s money to be made after all. 

There's 10 vaccines on the final trials. They're on it. 

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Early last Tuesday morning. 👍

Another wee laddie for the young team.

We're all doing great and have been floating about on that big cloud of love ever since. 

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

congratulationstop.jpg

Pasquale for King
44 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He just said today his estimate of the start of population roll-out is 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2021.   

In the USA?This is what he said in February. Experts have since said it will be nearer 4 years before its available to everyone, after the sick/vulnerable etc. 
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/health-experts-warn-life-saving-coronavirus-vaccine-years/story?id=69032902

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/30/opinion/coronavirus-covid-vaccine.html

F0C23CC1-AC99-43B2-8E97-30B12D60FDCD.jpeg

17EC0308-5481-416A-9339-EFDB43CC92CA.jpeg

NHS Trusts, alongside NHS organisations nationally,  have been told to "be prepared to start a Covid-19 staff vaccine programme in early December.  The latest intelligence states a Coronavirus vaccine should be available this year with NHS staff prioritised prior to Christmas ".  Very promising news.

Congrats to Governor Tarkin and family on their recent arrival👍

14 hours ago, coconut doug said:

My point is that it could make a difference in the community but not much in hospitals or care homes. How do we further isolate people in these settings? How would rapid tests help in regard to visitors? It takes a few days before people are symptomatic and can test positive does it not? What do you do with the people you have weeded out? There is also the massive inconvenience of having a probe inserted in one of your orifices every time you go somewhere. It has to work in tandem with a policy of suppression imo.

Yes, I agree. Those are fair points to make and yes, the real challenge is in protecting the most vulnerable in care homes and hospitals. I would certainly hope they find a better method than inserting a probe into an orifice every time you want to go out🙁. I'm sure others may disagree and some may even actively volunteer for trials🤣

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Rumours out of Jacobite Headquarters also have @ri Alban down as being a nasty unionist. Nothing like the carefully created kickback persona.

Congratulations 

Scottish numbers: 25 October 2020

Summary

• 1,303 new cases of COVID-19 reported; this is 19.0% of newly tested individuals [-130]
  • 1 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-10]
  • 86 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+2]
  • 1,016 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+31]
  • 18,026 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 7.9% of these were positive

Per-board per-100,000 infection stats today:

Lanarkshire 52, Greater Glasgow 37, Ayrshire 36, Fife 17, Lothian 17 (W Lothian 27, Midlothian 16, City 15, E Lothian 12), Forth Valley 15, Tayside 11.

All the rest: less than 10.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

They've got a hard time convincing me that Edinburgh and Glasgow should be treated equally when it comes to restrictions.

Absolutely. Me too. And I say that as someone who doesn't even come from the central belt.

Edited by redjambo

12 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Absolutely. Me too. And I say that as someone who doesn't even come from the central belt.

I think that might be where the make s fatal error. If the continue to just lump them together I think in time they'll completely lose support and adherence to the measures.

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think that might be where the make s fatal error. If the continue to just lump them together I think in time they'll completely lose support and adherence to the measures.

Indeed. There's no use introducing a fine-grained 5-tier approach if you're not going to apply restrictions in a fine-grained manner. What we should have is a clear indication of why an area is placed in one of the tiers (including obviously the rate of infections but also including the other factors that have been taken into account), almost so that we aware in advance that an area is going to move up or down a tier. Of course there are many factors involved, but it would be preferable if all of these were open and transparent. That way, decisions should be more well-defined and thus more acceptable.

Shanks said no
37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Per-board per-100,000 infection stats today:

Lanarkshire 52, Greater Glasgow 37, Ayrshire 36, Fife 17, Lothian 17 (W Lothian 27, Midlothian 16, City 15, E Lothian 12), Forth Valley 15, Tayside 11.

All the rest: less than 10.

Thanks as ever Red

The graph New Cases This Week, and Percentage Change from Previous Week by Council Area on the travelling tabby site you recommended makes interesting viewing. You could almost draw a line across the graph, bottom section would be tier 2, middle section tier 3 and Lanarkshire tier 4. Only issue may be West Lothian who would be tier 3, but they could act as a buffer zone for the capital. 

20 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Thanks as ever Red

The graph New Cases This Week, and Percentage Change from Previous Week by Council Area on the travelling tabby site you recommended makes interesting viewing. You could almost draw a line across the graph, bottom section would be tier 2, middle section tier 3 and Lanarkshire tier 4. Only issue may be West Lothian who would be tier 3, but they could act as a buffer zone for the capital. 

That could be a reasonable call. There certainly appears to be three clear groupings, possibly another one right at the bottom containing the lowest-affected areas.

Here's that graph (it's updated weekly on Wednesday, so this is of last Wednesday):

1593838242_Screenshotat2020-10-2516-07-45.png.14debc08d25d2255c94e243725f309a6.png

Edited by redjambo

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I've been saying that for ages. I don't understand why it's so secretive.

Possibly because there could also be a subjective element involved. In addition, if the SG reveals the exact criteria it uses then it ties their hands in making decisions as they then have to justify those decisions based on the criteria. Of course, the criteria may change over time as more information is made available and the effectiveness of the tier-based restrictions are evaluated, but I think that folk would understand that this would be the case.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Yes, I agree. Those are fair points to make and yes, the real challenge is in protecting the most vulnerable in care homes and hospitals. I would certainly hope they find a better method than inserting a probe into an orifice every time you want to go out🙁. I'm sure others may disagree and some may even actively volunteer for trials🤣

I think you will also approve of much of what is written here https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/10/covid-19-and-the-political-utility-of-fear/  . The argument is moving on, a solution needs to be found. The NHS nees to be protected but if numbers fall substantially then resources can be diverted from economic support to community support where they should have been all along IMO.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

They've got a hard time convincing me that Edinburgh and Glasgow should be treated equally when it comes to restrictions.

Yup

jack D and coke
50 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I think you will also approve of much of what is written here https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2020/10/covid-19-and-the-political-utility-of-fear/  . The argument is moving on, a solution needs to be found. The NHS nees to be protected but if numbers fall substantially then resources can be diverted from economic support to community support where they should have been all along IMO.

He’s absolutely bang on the cash in that. 

CavySlaveJambo
53 minutes ago, coconut doug said:The NHS nees to be protected but if numbers fall substantially then resources can be diverted from economic support to community support where they should have been all along IMO.

What normally happens over time with Viruses is they mutate. But they never mutate to become a more severe illness but a milder one.  Over time that should also happen and that will also protect the NHS: 

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

As has been said before it would be nice to know how many people left hospital (recovered) or move out of ICU (alive) every day as well. Let people realise that the NHS can treat this better now so it is worth giving them space to do it. 

The give a daily update on the number discharged, not too difficult to subtract the day before total if you want to.

5,292 inpatients who tested positive for COVID-19 have been discharged from hospital since 5 March

Growing calls for Dido Harding to either quit or be sacked over the test & trace fiasco.

Some saying that the Military should be brought in to run it as it needs a complete reboot of the way it's organised.

joondalupjambo
12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Growing calls for Dido Harding to either quit or be sacked over the test & trace fiasco.

Some saying that the Military should be brought in to run it as it needs a complete reboot of the way it's organised.

Just read her Wiki page and scratching my head a bit to see why she was put in charge of this in the first place to be honest.  Apart from being part of the Conservative Party machine her actual experience appears to only been in the buisness world with large corporates and also with horses.

Edited by joondalupjambo

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Yes this will be the test for Sturgeon if she is able and willing to place Lothian and Glasgow in different tiers. It should never be about politics.

2 hours ago, Brian Dundas said:

As has been said before it would be nice to know how many people left hospital (recovered) or move out of ICU (alive) every day as well. Let people realise that the NHS can treat this better now so it is worth giving them space to do it. 

well just keep an eye on the stats as they will have that info

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Indeed. There's no use introducing a fine-grained 5-tier approach if you're not going to apply restrictions in a fine-grained manner. What we should have is a clear indication of why an area is placed in one of the tiers (including obviously the rate of infections but also including the other factors that have been taken into account), almost so that we aware in advance that an area is going to move up or down a tier. Of course there are many factors involved, but it would be preferable if all of these were open and transparent. That way, decisions should be more well-defined and thus more acceptable.

Agreed

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes this will be the test for Sturgeon if she is able and willing to place Lothian and Glasgow in different tiers. It should never be about politics.

Might be brave and try it by post code. Very hard that way as well but might keep the better off happy.  

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

I've been saying that for ages. I don't understand why it's so secretive.

Its also very cruel and abusive to keep businesses wondering if and when they may open.  

manaliveits105

The Spanish government on Sunday agreed to declare a new state of emergency, which would allow a curfew to be imposed across the country as it continues to battle a resurgence of coronavirus cases.

An extraordinary meeting of the Council of Ministers was held in Madrid on Sunday morning "in order to examine the terms of a new royal decree on a state of alert," a communiqué released by Prime Minister Pedro Sachez's office said on Saturday

It added that "the proposal has been welcomed by the majority" of Spain's regional governments, "which have requested it".

In a meeting that lasted two hours, the cabinet agreed to an initial 15-day state of alarm. Local media reports claim the government intends to extend the measure until April.

Regions across Spain will now be subject to a curfew at night from 11 pm until 6 am CET.

On Saturday evening, administrations in at least nine regions had asked the central government in Madrid to declare a state of emergency or voiced their support for the move.

Still got to wear masks in the street there as well but this is to stop late night partying 

1 hour ago, coconut doug said:

Great article. I like how he has stole my idea about segregating nursing homes with those who have strict CV measures opposed to more open nursing homes which would include family visits etc.  ! :) 

24 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Great article. I like how he has stole my idea about segregating nursing homes with those who have strict CV measures opposed to more open nursing homes which would include family visits etc.  ! :) 

He's an Oxgangs boy now. What do you expect? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic