Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
On 23/10/2020 at 23:21, Lone Striker said:

Yes. It is very sobering (and heartbreaking if you dwell on it too long) to wander around old cemeteries and read the headstones. It brings into perspective  how incredibly lucky we are to be alive  in this modern era (no conscription, good housing, amazing medical science etc) - compared to the hardships these deceased folk from the 1800's or early 1900s must have endured.   Some plots have 3 or 4 generations of a family in it ..... most with short lifespans by today's standards. 

In a short cut I sometimes take through our local graveyard the last gravestone on the way out dating from early last century lists children of 3 months, 2 years and 3 years. It always gives me pause for thought and grateful to be born when I was.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Robbofan99 said:

Hopefully only way to get the SG to see some sense as no politicians are challenging it . It’s a one party state at the present time 

Sorry, wrong post quoted.

Edited by graygo

42 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Ask the google which one of them is a dentist and you'll get your answer, bud. 

Unless more than one of them is a dentist. **** knows. It's been done to death earlier in the thread (tl;dr) so you'd be better off looking for fresh ground for your next bunfight. 

Someone should probably compile a list of virgin covid related topics for folk to take extreme positions on. @redjambo, you busy?

Extremely busy. What a pity! So nice of you to think of me though.

8 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

I'm only 52 so still not on the Flu jab list, never had one but this year 100% will get one ASAP, cuss..

1..don't want to have to go to doctors surgery if I get bad flu for penicillin..

2..As flu has many symptons of Covid19 been darn nice not to get a cough etc as it means going sick and getting a Covid test,

3...and coughing away whilst in queue at Tesco is really a head turner right now, heck had cough in March at the very start of this people just stare at you as if your death. Plus would just be nice not to feel like crap for 5days in winter.

Penicillin is an antibiotic and won't help you if you had the flu which is a virus, not unless you have a secondary bacterial infection, such as bacterial pneumonia.

Pasquale for King
38 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

:D

That's quite a litany.

Looking forward to your company once again irl, bud. 

FF says hi but the pushing's all done. 👍

Got to keep busy in these crazy times we’re living in. 
It’s been too long mate. 
Maybe catch up in a soft play somewhere, can you take a carry out into these places alongside the obligatory ear defenders 😜?

Edited by Pasquale for King

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

In a short cut I sometimes take through our local graveyard the last gravestone on the way out dating from early last century lists children of 3 months, 2 years and 3 years. It always gives me pause for thought and grateful to be born when I was.

If you have ever or will do your family tree, you'll discover at least one of your families which suffered similar fates.

I have one from the early 1800's who had 12 kids, only 3 surviving into adulthood, and Mrs JJ has a family from Glasgow in the 1870's where the mother lost her husband (typhoid) and 3 children including a new born all within a 3 week period, life was often brutal in those days.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If you have ever or will do your family tree, you'll discover at least one of your families which suffered similar fates.

I have one from the early 1800's who had 12 kids, only 3 surviving into adulthood, and Mrs JJ has a family from Glasgow in the 1870's where the mother lost her husband (typhoid) and 3 children including a new born all within a 3 week period, life was often brutal in those days.

Some of the accomodation people lived in back in those times was incomprehendable by today's standards.  Large families often living in one room, with shared outdoor toilets and I'm not even sure what their drinking and washing water sources were as I think plumbing may have not been present in many buildings.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

Doc Holliday (Wyatt Earp’s sidekick) was apparently known as the ‘Deadly Dentist’!

Just sayin’ like :10900:

He actually was a dentist, though.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Some of the accomodation people lived in back in those times was incomprehendable by today's standards.  Large families often living in one room, with shared outdoor toilets and I'm not even sure what their drinking and washing water sources were as I think plumbing may have not been present in many buildings.

I have some photo's taken around the time of the slums Mrs JJ's family lived in at the time, open sewers etc, little wonder disease was rife, little wonder people died young.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Was also handy with .38 colt lightning.

Maybe he would be more effective at persuading people to follow the rules. 🤔

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You must be the only person in Scotland who doesn't know who the dentist is

Pretty snidey to call the guy with a Masters degree in Public Health from one of the world's top universities "the dentist" when he's actually perfectly qualified for the role. Maybe that's what the poster's getting at.

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, redjambo said:

Extremely busy. What a pity! So nice of you to think of me though.

I thought you could maybe slip one or two in along with your daily stats update. :(

5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Pretty snidey to call the guy with a Masters degree in Public Health from one of the world's top universities "the dentist" when he's actually perfectly qualified for the role. Maybe that's what the poster's getting at.

'The dentist' is more catchy than 'the guy with a Masters degree in Public Health from one of the world's top universities', though.

And besides, paper qualifications are absolutely no guarantee of competence in the real world. I'm sure you'll agree that in many cases they can actually indicate the opposite.

manaliveits105

Excellent  communicator Jason 

miners son from Airdrie - good Christian Baptist - helps Indian orphanages - supports Boston Red Sox likes fish suppers and country music 

ripped Pierce Morgan a new one 

and is a Commander of the British Empire

13 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I thought you could maybe slip one or two in along with your daily stats update. :(

'The dentist' is more catchy than 'the guy with a Masters degree in Public Health from one of the world's top universities', though.

And besides, paper qualifications are absolutely no guarantee of competence in the real world. I'm sure you'll agree that in many cases they can actually indicate the opposite.

:spoton:

The fountain of knowledge is more trustworthy from the academia of Kickback. :thumb:

Is congratulations in order, yet? 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

miners son from Airdrie - good Christian Baptist - helps Indian orphanages - supports Boston Red Sox likes fish suppers and country music 

This fact alone should set alarm bells ringing about his better judgement.

Governor Tarkin
19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The fountain of knowledge is more trustworthy from the academia of Kickback. :thumb:

In all my travels and adventures I still maintian that he greatest students of philosophy and human nature that I have ever encountered were to be found pinging chalk-lines on the tennement roofs and stripping the wall-head lums of east central Scotland, ri.

19 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Is congratulations in order, yet? 

Early last Tuesday morning. 👍

Another wee laddie for the young team.

We're all doing great and have been floating about on that big cloud of love ever since. 

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

Edited by Governor Tarkin

35 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It's shite patter

manaliveits105
3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There are number of unreputable news sources reporting that NHS staff to be vaccinated prior to Christmas. They are even tieing in to being a benefit of Brexit 🤮

Also see England look like to drop self isolation and quarantine period down to 7-10 day period to aid in compliance. Pretty sure a number of European countries have shorter periods. 

Jimmy will be beelin ! 

37 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Let's no go down that route, Smithee.

It's shite patter. Whether you agree with him or not the guy's very highly qualified in his field. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

It's shite patter. Whether you agree with him or not the guy's very highly qualified in his field. 

I don't give a shit what his qualifications are - or anybody else's for that matter. He should be open to low-brow ridicule on a largely irrelevant and utterly inconsequential football forum the same as everyone else. 

The current PM isn't short of a certificate of merit or two either, and despite his shortcomings the fact that he's managed to land the jobs that he has shows he's not really anybody's fool. You'll not be rushing to his defence next time somebody gives it the 'Bumbling Bojo' schtick though. And besides, Leitch is actually a qualified dentist.

22 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

There are number of unreputable news sources reporting that NHS staff to be vaccinated prior to Christmas. They are even tieing in to being a benefit of Brexit 🤮

Also see England look like to drop self isolation and quarantine period down to 7-10 day period to aid in compliance. Pretty sure a number of European countries have shorter periods. 

Sorry if it's a daft question but vaccinated against what? Covid or influenza?

1 hour ago, manaliveits105 said:

I thought he was a Nationalist, or was that his 4 legs good two legs better moment. It is surprising how many enjoyed a bit of queens patronage. 

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't give a shit what his qualifications are - or anybody else's for that matter. He should be open to low-brow ridicule on a largely irrelevant and utterly inconsequential football forum the same as everyone else. 

The current PM isn't short of a certificate of merit or two either, and despite his shortcomings the fact that he's managed to land the jobs that he has shows he's not really anybody's fool. You'll not be rushing to his defence next time somebody gives it the 'Bumbling Bojo' schtick though. And besides, Leitch is actually a qualified dentist.

Couldn't agree more. Congratulations on the new addition to your family by the way. it seems even more important at the moment to celebrate the wonderful thing that is new life. 

Rumours out of Victoria Quay also have the dentist down as being a nasty piece of work. Nothing like the carefully created public persona. 

Edited by pablo

I'm not asking you to give a shit and I didnt bring it up. The guy asked "the dentist?" and I dont think he was saying he doesn't know who's being talked about. I think he was making the point that the dentist's actually a highly qualified professional in public health, and that it's a low blow in a serious discussion and I agree with him.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, pablo said:

Rumours out of Victoria Quay also have the dentist down as being a nasty piece of work. Nothing like the carefully created public persona. 

Rumours out of Jacobite Headquarters also have @ri Alban down as being a nasty unionist. Nothing like the carefully created kickback persona.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Barack said:

Haven't seen it on here in a couple of days. So in the interests of neutrality & the spamming nature of the thread:

"Umm, please refrain from name calling, mates".

Not good.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

We're all doing great and have been floating about on that big cloud of love ever since. 

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

👍

Congratulations.

In all my travels and adventures I still maintian that he greatest students of philosophy and human nature that I have ever encountered were to be found pinging chalk-lines on the tennement roofs and stripping the wall-head lums of east central Scotland, ri.

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

:yas:

:cheers:

Now go see Jason about retiring your back teeth. :cheese:

Again, congratulations to you all. 🍺

And may his first words be

:fth:

Rumours out of Jacobite Headquarters also have @ri Alban down as being a nasty unionist. Nothing like the carefully created kickback persona.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952ddopws023aqb83m9i4

Hearing on the news this morning that the Welsh Government are to have a review of their 'essential' items policy.

Looks like another u-turn from those in power is in the offing.

47 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I thought he was a Nationalist, or was that his 4 legs good two legs better moment. It is surprising how many enjoyed a bit of queens patronage. 

That'll be Elizabeth, Queen of Scotland.

SectionDJambo
11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hearing on the news this morning that the Welsh Government are to have a review of their 'essential' items policy.

Looks like another u-turn from those in power is in the offing.

If some of these politicians would just take a breath and think before they make some of their decisions, they might produce some logical, sensible proposals that the public would follow, or at least, find it difficult to justify not following.

Few of them ever seem to ask what could happen after their rules are implemented.

Vaccine will be a very nice Christmas present for the NHS, vulnerable and pensioners. 

Then the rest of you can get vaccinated. 

:rudiyas:

Covid your tea's oot. 

A possibility considered by many at one point or another I'd imagine. 

25 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

If some of these politicians would just take a breath and think before they make some of their decisions, they might produce some logical, sensible proposals that the public would follow, or at least, find it difficult to justify not following.

Few of them ever seem to ask what could happen after their rules are implemented.

Exactly, they all seem to be displaying a disturbing lack of common sense, and not for the first time either, plus they do not seem to be learning from their previous feck-ups.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

And congrats!

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Cannae beat it bud. ❤

Good news, congrats to all. 

32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Vaccine will be a very nice Christmas present for the NHS, vulnerable and pensioners. 

Then the rest of you can get vaccinated. 

:rudiyas:

Covid your tea's oot. 

Could jag the carers that tend the vulnerable/pensioners 1st.

Then follow it up with a roll-out for Pass the Covid Parcel in Lanarkshire.

Edited by OBE

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Fauci.

Population scale vaccination to start 2nd or 3rd quarter 2021.  

Seems like a long way away just now but good news regardless.

1 hour ago, pablo said:

He is defo the type who could do with having his hard drive checked.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, TheOak88 said:

He is defo the type who could do with having his hard drive checked.

Let the rumours begin.

😟

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic