Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

It should stop spreading in a few months then as being homeless will be a reality for many if this continues.

Scaremongering

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, jonesy said:

Even with the recently imposed restrictions? Or is the issue with people who already live together?

Not sure, not seen any stats since the rule of 6 was introduced.

JudyJudyJudy
3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Heard on radio yesterday in England and Wales there was a waiting list of about 12k people for

operations. That’s now grown to over 120k due to Covid. 1m women have also missed screening due to Covid meaning that by law of averages 8.5k of them now have breast cancer they don’t know about.
The madness just seems to keep piling up where this is concerned. I’m sure they’ll be talking about a third wave very soon too. 

Yep was a guy on the shitty itv news talking about the “ 3rd wave “ I nearly threw a hammer at the tv 

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Scaremongering

No that's reality. Scaremongering is closing down a country that has a virus that mostly affects people who have already lived beyond the country's average life expectancy.

28 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Where's the other 70% being transmitted? (not being wide, genuinely interested!).

No idea and I'm not trying to stir things up I just think the data is way off between what I have read in here in recent weeks and what Whitty has said today.Pressure to release data might have led to this statement and maybe we will now see this data.Its all very secretive and it's that the leads to nobody really taking notice.Just show the data like they used to.

1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Scaremongering

Mass unemployment, an increasing population, lack of social housing and the continuing rise in house prices and private rentals sounds like the perfect storm to me. 

7 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

My money would be on Chris Whitty lying. £38 Million research grant from the B&M G foundation and a nice wee number lined up at the WHO.....  Oh and Vallance with his £600K shareholding in GSK. No conflict of interests there...

That's thing if you want trust show the data don't just make a statement but as I said pressure from parliament yesterday might lead to the data being shown sometime today that's why the statement has come out.

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Lord BJ said:

A third wave is very likely due to the strategy that we are following. 

Of course it is , then a fourth, fifth and so on.

It's fire fighting.

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep was a guy on the shitty itv news talking about the “ 3rd wave “ I nearly threw a hammer at the tv 

It's the same virus that was always there it was only surpressed.Waves it's just a nice term for the media.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Conversely, I think S-F-J's reasoned, sensible, and can-see-both sides post is exactly what most people on this thread are actually thinking.

It doesn't make good box-office though, and many inevitably want to make this yet another spin-off of the 550 page Scottish independence and devolution superthread. For some almost everything seems necessarily viewed through this lens.

It's a shame, as a few of the more cerebral posters seem to have abandoned their one-time amiable and reasoned posting style and imported their indy/b*astard Tory debate bitterness and wummery into almost everything they post.

Most of the bitterness and wummery has been from people desperately trying to use the situation to stick the boot into NS and her SG. 

One guy was trying to say that she doesn't care how many cancer patients die because of cut backs on non covid cases. Now that is just an example of many of these type of posts. 

It's a horrible situation but I'm certain all our leaders in the UK are doing their best and their responses have been broadly in line with each other. 

Whether that is enough to keep this second wave at bay is another matter. 

It's all very well advocating 'herd immunity' but if that goes wrong nobody will be getting any operations or check ups because the hospitals will be run of their feet. 

You would think at a time of national emergency people would drop the politics and show understanding. 

jack D and coke
13 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Also going to take advantage of last day of resteraunts. Wife and I going for lunch and collect the kids from school afterwards.

Though as going to same neck of woods other poster, will keep my eye open for heavily pregnant women drinking with some old sailor. Thankfully, social distance will prevent me from scratching any itch my curosity might have 😂

Was meant to be going out for dinner with friends on Sat, though thats been kioboshed. Though the resteraunt are going to deliver a 3 course meal to me and my good lady. Even getting a couple of cocktails delivered.

Hopefully, most these businesses can survive the latest measures. 

Well it’s boo fecking hoo for them if they can’t survive bud isn’t it really. I mean the hospitality industry is only the 4th biggest in Scotland we don’t need that kind of thing here, **** them frankly. The owners and staff of these places should’ve quite clearly saved money or the daft fuds should’ve just got jobs in the building trade. Scotland needs to get a grip of its drinking anyway too(not selling it overseas or that cos that’s that’s the uks largest export) but everybody here wants to get a grip. 
::troll::

jack D and coke
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

😕brutal mate....

The only clear thing about the virus is that it's spread through social contact.So in short that's pretty much it spread everywhere unless we all become hermits.So yes it will be spreading when folk are out in about in pubs but will also be spreading about in supermarkets buses you name it anywhere where there is people.

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well it’s boo fecking hoo for them if they can’t survive bud isn’t it really. I mean the hospitality industry is only the 4th biggest in Scotland we don’t need that kind of thing here, **** them frankly. The owners and staff of these places should’ve quite clearly saved money or the daft fuds should’ve just got jobs in the building trade. Scotland needs to get a grip of its drinking anyway too(not selling it overseas or that cos that’s that’s the uks largest export) but everybody here wants to get a grip. 
::troll::

Right from the start it was obvious they were going to be effected the worst.They need continued support honest hard working folk and small businesses blootered.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

The only clear thing about the virus is that it's spread through social contact.So in short that's pretty much it spread everywhere unless we all become hermits.So yes it will be spreading when folk are out in about in pubs but will also be spreading about in supermarkets buses you name it anywhere where there is people.

These are my thoughts. It was fear that drove the public to comply with the first lockdown. Not the same level of fear or willingness to comply now and for that reason any attempts to control the spread through restrictions is a waste of time. 

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Agreed and even if we miraculously managed to eradicate it here we would then have to seal the country off until it has been eradicated world wide. It's here and it's not going anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Agreed and even if we miraculously managed to eradicate it here we would then have to seal the country off until it has been eradicated world wide. It's here and it's not going anywhere.

What happens if we beat this cause scientist are starting to warn us that these pandemics are going to be much more frequent.In fact forget that we are never going to beat this virus it will always be there we will always need to get our shots.

Edited by vegas-voss

6 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Australia I think I read are shutting off until after the year.Its already there though there is always going to be someone has it and pass it on.Only takes one person to start the chain again.Governments have ****ed this up all across the world I don't think any of them have had a clear strategy and even if they did like maybe New Zealand or South Korea or the other spectrum Sweden the virus is still there.

700k lost their jobs between April to August with a further 500k from hospitality sector expected to lose their jobs between now and the end of the year.That is fecking horrific.

Edited by vegas-voss

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

These are my thoughts. It was fear that drove the public to comply with the first lockdown. Not the same level of fear or willingness to comply now and for that reason any attempts to control the spread through restrictions is a waste of time. 

Me and 4 mates I was brought up with always have a weekend away abroad once a year as don’t see much of each other. Had to cancel the weekend away but then booked Saturday in Liverpool only to cancel that so it was day out in Edinburgh instead and now that’s cancelled 

We are now meeting Tom lunchtime in my mates house/ garden for a few drinks, football bet on and a good catch up ect. 

When lockdown first happened we’d never have dreamed of doing this but people are just not feared anymore and have had enough. 

I’m lucky enough to have worked since this all started and have followed all the rules but will be breaking them Tom. One of my mates works in offices for the police and another in parliament office so if these guys don’t care then good luck getting younger people to follow the rules 

I await the Hamilton guy along shortly 

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Right from the start it was obvious they were going to be effected the worst.They need continued support honest hard working folk and small businesses blootered.

I know mate it’s some people’s attitudes to that sector tho, the sort of **** them attitude that’s really ripping my jimmys. They’re the fabric of what makes any towns and cities good places to live. I stayed in Oz in the suburbs for a wee while and it’s brutal over there they’ll only really do anything at home there’s literally no community, have to go everywhere by car you don’t see anyone unless they arrange to come over. I’d hate that to be the norm here. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Ok so someone is lying as Chris Whitty has said 30% of virus spread is happening in pubs and restaurants but I have read on here it is a tiny amount.Not pointing fingers at anyone just that the data must be very different from each source.

Lying or misleading.  Whitty needs to produce facts rather than hypothetical graphs designed to feather his own nest. The 30% figure seems similar to the SG paper that reported 25% of positive cases had visited hospitality venues but caveated that by saying this was not "causal" with regards to where they were infected. 

Given that hospitality venues are probably more Covid compliant than anywhere else, certainly buses and supermarkets,  then it's not a stretch to claim that the PHE figures of 3% of cases occurring in hospitality venues seem pretty accurate. Therefore there is no justification for either govt to decimate the hospitality industry with no likelihood of having any affect on cases numbers whatsoever. 

An Oxford University study has now estimated a death rate of 6 in 1000 of those who test positive, down from 30 in 1000 in June, due to less virulence and better treatments.  More good news which I expect to headline on the BBC later🤔

The govt need to 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, theshed said:

Me and 4 mates I was brought up with always have a weekend away abroad once a year as don’t see much of each other. Had to cancel the weekend away but then booked Saturday in Liverpool only to cancel that so it was day out in Edinburgh instead and now that’s cancelled 

We are now meeting Tom lunchtime in my mates house/ garden for a few drinks, football bet on and a good catch up ect. 

When lockdown first happened we’d never have dreamed of doing this but people are just not feared anymore and have had enough. 

I’m lucky enough to have worked since this all started and have followed all the rules but will be breaking them Tom. One of my mates works in offices for the police and another in parliament office so if these guys don’t care then good luck getting younger people to follow the rules 

Good for you mate. I’m arranging similar with my mates for tomorrow. 

jack D and coke
7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

700k lost their jobs between April to August with a further 500k from hospitality sector expected to lose their jobs between now and the end of the year.That is fecking horrific.

Brutal :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Good for you mate. I’m arranging similar with my mates for tomorrow. 

Hope you dont have nosey neighbours 🤔

5 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Lying or misleading.  Whitty needs to produce facts rather than hypothetical graphs designed to feather his own nest. The 30% figure seems similar to the SG paper that reported 25% of positive cases had visited hospitality venues but caveated that by saying this was not "causal" with regards to where they were infected. 

Given that hospitality venues are probably more Covid compliant than anywhere else, certainly buses and supermarkets,  then it's not a stretch to claim that the PHE figures of 3% of cases occurring in hospitality venues seem pretty accurate. Therefore there is no justification for either govt to decimate the hospitality industry with no likelihood of having any affect on cases numbers whatsoever. 

An Oxford University study has now estimated a death rate of 6 in 1000 of those who test positive, down from 30 in 1000 in June, due to less virulence and better treatments.  More good news which I expect to headline on the BBC later🤔

The govt need to 

As I said you can catch it anywhere where people are.They need to stop signaling places out it's a virus it's everywhere and will spread wherever folk are so it might well be the case of it is 30% but as I think it was @jonesy said where is the other 70%.

I agree with what you say though the likely hood if it being a 30% chance of catching it in any given pub is ain't right as they would never have been allowed to open in the first place imo.

9 minutes ago, theshed said:

I await the Hamilton guy along 

Is it a case of you and your mates  not caring or simply that you've had enough of being treated like an infant? I see no issue with 3 or 4 pals doing what your doing tomorrow outside, in a garden area. Im sure you're all not daft, bit hand sanitizer on arrival, I'd imagine even after a few beers you won't feel the need to be hugging each other either so keeping a good distance apart shouldn't be an issue. Its the dafties who have been piling in to livingrooms in groups 10's and 20's pretty much all summer who need treated like wee bairns!

JudyJudyJudy
15 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The govt need to 

I think that concurs with something. I read regarding ICU that 80% now survive if they have been admitted to ICU it was 50% before 

58 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Looks like Sunak will announce local lockdown furlough scheme this afternoon. Govt to pay 2/3 of wages under this scheme,  seems to be the view. At least some positive for those to be impacted by latest restrictions.

Probably means we will face longer restrictions in central belt as well

If that is indeed the case, I'll feel a lot better. 

The virus is getting more prevalent, deaths are going to rise. I've never disputed that. Something had to be done. 

But making hundreds of thousands of people unemployed with no support was not the answer.

We pumped HUNDREDS of billions in to the financial sector in 2008/9 because it was "too big to fail", the consequences didn't bear thinking about, all that pish. And we're still paying for it, a bunch of ***** who did what they wanted knowing they'd get bailed out. 

If the government want to close down businesses to fight the virus, they HAVE to provide support for those affected. 

I'd put a bet on that in pretty much every small town or city neighbourhood in Scotland, there will be one pub/poolsnooker club/boozer where local bams are congregating without a care in the world. Even if proprietor wants to do something about he can't in reality.  Local cops will know which one(s) but try piling in there on a friday night and reasoning with 30 mentalists. :lol:

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No worries. They can retrain. Plenty jobs if they look around, someone said before. 

Aye everybody's favourite politics Sunak for one.

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I'd put a bet on that in pretty much every small town or city neighbourhood in Scotland, there will be one pub/poolsnooker club/boozer where local bams are congregating without a care in the world. Even if proprietor wants to do something about he can't in reality.  Local cops will know which one(s) but try piling in there on a friday night and reasoning with 30 mentalists. :lol:

The names of the pubs need reported 

12 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Is it a case of you and your mates  not caring or simply that you've had enough of being treated like an infant? I see no issue with 3 or 4 pals doing what your doing tomorrow outside, in a garden area. Im sure you're all not daft, bit hand sanitizer on arrival, I'd imagine even after a few beers you won't feel the need to be hugging each other either so keeping a good distance apart shouldn't be an issue. Its the dafties who have been piling in to livingrooms in groups 10's and 20's pretty much all summer who need treated like wee bairns!

Agree with this and the Police shoud have been targeting the dafties. 

Most people even if they don't agree with the restrictions will at least moderate their behaviour. 

Personally I have been out twice for lunch this week and felt safe. Everything served to your table and mask on when going to the toilet or leaving the restaurant. 

The buses however is a different matter the bus journeys give me the fear and are kept to a minimum. 

I feel for the hospitality trade as the ones I've had experience of have been doing their best to keep folk safe. 

Surely their will be some kind of help for hospitality otherwise our town and cities are going to look as if they are on lockdown permanently 

7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

The names of the pubs need reported 

Get yerself out there and mingle my friend, though of course I'd be careful with airing your views. That's free advice.  👍

46 minutes ago, theshed said:

There will be similar stories all over the country. Nothing sturgeon or Boris does will make much difference now and they know it. The only reason they’re doing anything is because if they do nothing the first lockdown will look like a huge waste of time. 

coconut doug
3 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Firstly I’m not defending or siding with anyone , I’m merely pointing out that your choice of wording could be better? 

I’m referring to the part that you said , “ I actually don’t care that much “. 
I don’t believe that for a minute because there will no doubt someone you know affected by this pandemic and you will be concerned for them surely? 

I have never accused you of siding with anybody.

When i said “ I actually don’t care that much" i was referring to this notion of "millions of people" dealing with "huge disruption" and i still don't really know what was meant by that statement. The Pandemic has been disastrous for huge numbers of people and you are right to say that almost everybody is affected IMO. It has affected millions of people and it has caused huge disruption but the poster i was referring to was complaining about the fact that the pubs will be shut for a fortnight in some places. I'm really not bothered about that. I think the businesses will survive. They are getting subsidised and their workers furloughed. They wont have to pay rates or energy costs or staff beyond a bare minimum and many of them are well able to afford it.

I find their bleating and constant media appearances with the begging bowl quite nauseating. It's as if they don't understand that this Pandemic affects everybody. Their denial that they play a significant part in the spread is hard to take as well. I've seen how some in this city work and frankly they should be closed anyway. Profits before lives is their mantra and that's why they are way down on my list of concerns.

JudyJudyJudy
17 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Get yerself out there and mingle my friend, though of course I'd be careful with airing your views. That's free advice.  👍

No ofcourse he won’t “ air his views “ with anyone face to face ! He’s a keyboard gangster 

3 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

If you are correct with your assertion about pubs breaking the rules blatently

then it's the cops who need to get out there and mingle. 

This policing by video is a thing that bugs me. 

There are times when the law needs to send a message that certain behaviour will not be tolerated. 

If it takes a couple of dozen cops to go in make arrests then the dafties will get the message. 

We have seen this at Tynecastle when the OF visit. They get away with their vile behaviour then a couple of them get picked up on video and then the Police think 'job done'. Only it isn't because it's just the same the next time. 

Looking at the picture of yobs thumbing their noses at lockdown in city centre positive action is needed by police. 

To be clear I'm not talking about people having a drink with pals in their garden, I'm talking about mostly youngsters taking the piss because they think they are unaffected by the virus. 

11 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I have never accused you of siding with anybody.

When i said “ I actually don’t care that much" i was referring to this notion of "millions of people" dealing with "huge disruption" and i still don't really know what was meant by that statement. The Pandemic has been disastrous for huge numbers of people and you are right to say that almost everybody is affected IMO. It has affected millions of people and it has caused huge disruption but the poster i was referring to was complaining about the fact that the pubs will be shut for a fortnight in some places. I'm really not bothered about that. I think the businesses will survive. They are getting subsidised and their workers furloughed. They wont have to pay rates or energy costs or staff beyond a bare minimum and many of them are well able to afford it.

I find their bleating and constant media appearances with the begging bowl quite nauseating. It's as if they don't understand that this Pandemic affects everybody. Their denial that they play a significant part in the spread is hard to take as well. I've seen how some in this city work and frankly they should be closed anyway. Profits before lives is their mantra and that's why they are way down on my list of concerns.

As things stand, they're not getting furloughed. You can't register for furlough anymore and once taken off, you can't go back on. You have thousands of people on minimum wage now with no income at all for 2 weeks. At a minimum. 

Yes, the pandemic affects everybody but some more than others. 

20 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

I have. It's good watching the colour drain from these mass spreaders, when you tell to get themselves tae feck, before I close the 2m space in a heartbeat. 

Maybe you should take your own advice. You might get the invite accepted. 

Seymour M Hersh
24 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

News just in JiH snapped by cameras looking to catch pubs open and people out drinking. FACT!

th-2.jpeg

th-3.jpeg

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I have. It's good watching the colour drain from these mass spreaders, when you tell to get themselves tae feck, before I close the 2m space in a heartbeat. 

Oh I got all excited there ! Your posting was oozing toxic masculinity ! 😂😂😂

Six more Covid deaths and more than 1,200 new cases

The first minister starts with the daily Covid statistics update.

Six more deaths have been registered of those who first tested positive for Covid in the last 28 days.

That's a total of 2544 deaths under this measure.

She says 1246 positive cases were identified in the last 24 hours - that's 16.2% of those newly tested.

440 of them were in the NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board area.

306 were in NHS Lanarkshire, and 192 were in NHS Lothian.

The remaining cases were spread across nine other health board areas, Nicola Sturgeon said.

A total of 37,033 cases have now been confirmed by testing throughout the epidemic in Scotland.

397 people are currently in hospital, up 20 since yesterday.

33 are in ICU, two more than yesterday.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Though as going to same neck of woods other poster, will keep my eye open for heavily pregnant women drinking with some old sailor. Thankfully, social distance will prevent me from scratching any itch my curosity might have 😂

My boyish good looks and impish charm mask my advancing years, LBJ, just so you know. :D

I'll keep my eyes open for a chap with walking cane, monacle, and 19th century British military moustache who looks like he could squat a small family car. 👍

Ron Burgundy
12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You are like a Scotch Liam Neeson from the film Taken.

Or a total bullshitter.

I'm undecided.

I'm not really undecided.

8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Oh I got all excited there ! Your posting was oozing toxic masculinity ! 😂😂😂

😂 I bet the reality would be a bit of a let down.

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

The govt need to 

Reports saying the SAGE have worked out their doomsday predictions for the North on the basis of information taken from less than 100 pubs. Hardly a proper sample for such draconian measures imo. 

Governor Tarkin
51 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

See you there at the back of 6. 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic