Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yep,  unknown.   As it's unknown then it can't really be high on the list of responsible policies for the scientists.   

just to reiterate herd immunity was not the main point of my post

i would imagine it would be quite high as despite its unknown (maybe even low) probability of success the potential upside would be very high

these scenarios tend to be quite high-up the list likewise the negative version of low probability events with high negative impacts are rarely allowed to slip off page 1

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

According to another poster the building trade is taking on loads of folk. 👍🏻👍🏻

Yep, if only the vulnerable would get off their arse and learn new skills they’d be fine. 👍

Ongoing suppression is here to stay.   It's the only lever the governments have and they wont change course to shield & good luck to the rest.   You'll be disappointed if you're desperate for that to happen.

Suppression isn't actually a lever.   It's an objective achieved by using levers.    The trick is to use the levers that work.    It looks like there hasn't been much success recently so they'll have to keep on trying.

Edited by Victorian

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

According to another poster the building trade is taking on loads of folk. 👍🏻👍🏻

I hear the police are looking for special cuntstables. 

Heartsmad1874
Just now, ri Alban said:

I hear the police are looking for special cuntstables. 

That will be the new jobs for people going around enforcing facemasks 👍🏻👍🏻.

Just now, Heartsmad1874 said:

That will be the new jobs for people going around enforcing facemasks 👍🏻👍🏻.

No, it's the new dwellings for folk who don't wear them. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Ongoing suppression is here to stay.   It's the only lever the governments have and they wont change course to shield & good luck to the rest.   You'll be disappointed if you're desperate for that to happen.

Suppression isn't actually a lever.   It's an objective achieved by using levers.    The trick is to use the levers that work.    It looks like there hasn't been much success recently so they'll have to keep on trying.

I think they will unless their current muddle somehow resolves itself before Christmas. Going into the new year with rolling lockdowns and suppression will see a breaking point reached imo.

They won't be as overt as saying 'right, old and vulnerable stay inside' but I do think that's what it will become albeit positioned as something else.

17 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

thanks for this. I’d read it but as she has isolated , had it, and ok now to go outside etc I thought she’d be able to. It’s reading this again that’s making me think she maybe can’t. I’ll make some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the reply 👍

Common sense would say that given she has had the virus, and if there is sufficient time since she she was diagnosed positive (say a margin of error in addition to the prescribed isolation period) then it would be fine. The regulations don't take into account folk who've already had the virus, perhaps because it hasn't yet been ascertained with any degree of certainty whether you can catch the virus multiple times or not, or what level of antibodies provides immunity. Note also that the regulations I linked to provide an exception for "wellbeing reasons".

doctor jambo
32 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If herd immunity was real, why isn't the world immune from the cold or flu. 🤔

Because it mutates .

the Covid vaccine may be irrelevant by the time it hits production

doctor jambo
17 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

More bad news, doc', when will it end? :(

If you follow his advice and get caught, give me a bell

3 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Because it mutates .

As happened with Swine Flu. I seem to remember our Health Secretary one Mrs Murrell proudly announcing the arrival of 1million vaccines, none of which were used. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think they will unless their current muddle somehow resolves itself before Christmas. Going into the new year with rolling lockdowns and suppression will see a breaking point reached imo.

They won't be as overt as saying 'right, old and vulnerable stay inside' but I do think that's what it will become albeit positioned as something else.

i agree with this

Unlikely to be an official policy saying oldies and vulnerable hide behind the couch but we are actually very gradually moving away from protect all with 100% of resources

Restrictions have been re-introduced but not full lockdown - that suggests the balance has slightly shifted - only slightly at the moment but still a shift - pretty much trying any cocktail of restrictions but not back to full lockdown - especially with the very real potential complication of winter on its way

there are so many things which can be done to reduce death from other causes which aren’t - covid will likely take its place in the pack of killer diseases in time 

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

As happened with Swine Flu. I seem to remember our Health Secretary one Mrs Murrell proudly announcing the arrival of 1million vaccines, none of which were used. 

My wee sister caught that swine flu a few years ago. Oh how we laughed. Said she'd had worse colds.

11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Because it mutates .

An indication towards your current awareness of the vaccines.   They've been in production for many weeks.

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Are people willing to allow the old, sick or vulnerable folk die, just to let others carry on as normal. 

How many is acceptable, until your pint tastes flat? 

Like the government are doing with postponing cancer treatments and operations and causing suicides amongst the vulnerable in society as well as people who have lost pretty much everything through no fault of their own.

when is it enough!! You tell us seeing as you seem to have the answers.

8 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Remember, Covid can't get you at work so they'll all be okay.

I've been working in the north west of England, staying in a hotel, going to the gym and working in the day with 10-15 people. Then driving back out of a lockdown zone and having a normal weekend. I'd be quite worried if it wasn't for the 'work immunity' that apparently exists.

Going to the pub though? Not on your nelly, it's far too risky.

Edit: I should add I'm being facetious. My employer has been excellent during this period and has made the place very covid secure. As has the hotel I've been staying in, can't praise them both highly enough. Thankfully, otherwise I would actually feel uncomfortable with what I've been doing. However, so too have any of the pubs and restaurants I visit and that's where the double standards come in. Hitting them all with the same fate despite the vast majority doing everything they can to make their premises safe.

Edited by Taffin

54 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Herd immunity is little more than a hypothetical idea.   Nobody knows if it's even possible that herd immunity will reach a level and,  more importantly,  sustain at a level that protects the more susceptible.   We still don't know the scale of the levels of natural immunity,  T-cell protection,  etc.   It is widely believed that infection acquired antibody presence is fairly short lived.    So for sll we know,  buiding up herd immunity might be about as likely as trying to fill a sieve with water.

What chance do we all have when the so called experts on all of this are split on what to do.

Samuel Camazzola
5 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why would anyone with half a brain go against government advice?

A good question to pose to your local MP Maggie F. 👍 

45 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Can someone tell me why vulnerable people don’t just shield and the rest of us just get on with things?

That’s the way I’d go but what do we know?

Just now, 1874robbo said:

Like the government are doing with postponing cancer treatments and operations and causing suicides amongst the vulnerable in society as well as people who have lost pretty much everything through no fault of their own.

The NHS must be allowed to deal with all of the crucial non-covid workload.    How best to achieve this?   

A.    Suppress covid demand on the NHS.

B.    Fill up the hospitals with covid patients.

Answers on the back of a death certificate.

2 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Why would any sane government allow it to get to the heights of 6 months ago, before acting. People really need their heids read, if they think the only justification to close pubs etc... Is if and when we hit 1000 deaths a day. 

As a wee side note. Scotland and her people need to sort their addiction to alcohol. Fecking embarrassing. 

1000 deaths a day 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

4 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

You are truly the definition of a SNP fangirl.

Quite sad really. Bash on 👍🏻

But he/she thinks there’ll be 1000 deaths a day.

the guy/girl is a muppet 😂😂😂

Edited by 1874robbo

doctor jambo
23 minutes ago, Victorian said:

An indication towards your current awareness of the vaccines.   They've been in production for many weeks.

Vaccine procurement is so accurate we have ordered 2 million from 3 separate companies , with delivery into 2021 if it’s ready by then , according to the govt.

so yes , it will be ready next month

4 hours ago, spirt of 98 said:

Never said that but out word in my mouth. Just pointing out you can on slash with the implement you have got. 

So all the aw folk attacking SNP strategy ld love to hear your plan??!!

Richard Leonard or wee roof or Tory boy linesman or even better Wullie Rennie that lot would sort it 😂😂😂😂

Konrad von Carstein
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Cheers Konrad, glad I could add some levity to the often burdensome task of reading this thread :) 

If anything, the Shed and Terrace exposes just how varied the Hearts support is in its political outlook. Not a bad thing, being a broad church.

I think if people could recognise dry, sarcastic wit and the deadpan style of delivery as an art form the happier this place would be...I have that in real life (so every ^^^^ tells me) but it doesn't translate on line for me.

Anyway keep up the good work!

2 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Vaccine procurement is so accurate we have ordered 2 million from 3 separate companies , with delivery into 2021 if it’s ready by then , according to the govt.

so yes , it will be ready next month

There's orders placed of about 200 million actually.   Anyway,  production at scale has been going on for many weeks.

I made no claim regarding any being ready next month.   

45 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Common sense would say that given she has had the virus, and if there is sufficient time since she she was diagnosed positive (say a margin of error in addition to the prescribed isolation period) then it would be fine. The regulations don't take into account folk who've already had the virus, perhaps because it hasn't yet been ascertained with any degree of certainty whether you can catch the virus multiple times or not, or what level of antibodies provides immunity. Note also that the regulations I linked to provide an exception for "wellbeing reasons".

thanks once again. That’s a real help. Much appreciated 

11 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

But he/she thinks there’ll be 1000 deaths a day.

the guy/girl is a muppet 😂😂😂

38000 dead in March /April from Covid across the UK. 

30 days has September... 

29 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Where is this magical place in the world that is operating normally at the moment.?

You actually think the government are deliberately killing people 😂

If the scientific experts are so good, why did none of them advise the govt against decanting positive Covid patients into care homes??  That setting is responsible for half the deaths in Scotland. Equally,  why did they not apply their expertise to advise the govts against allowing students to return to cramped campus accomodation??  Surely they knew places like care homes, hospitals, campus accomodation are where the virus is likely to spread.

A bit less computer modelling and a larger dose of common sense would not go amiss.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 hours ago, XB52 said:

How many were in hospital / icu two weeks ago?? Surely there can't really be any flat earthers left who believe this thing isn't getting worse again. 

Some on here still don’t take it seriously - just makes no sense 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My wee sister caught that swine flu a few years ago. Oh how we laughed. Said she'd had worse colds.

😂

coconut doug
40 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If the scientific experts are so good, why did none of them advise the govt against decanting positive Covid patients into care homes??  That setting is responsible for half the deaths in Scotland. Equally,  why did they not apply their expertise to advise the govts against allowing students to return to cramped campus accomodation??  Surely they knew places like care homes, hospitals, campus accomodation are where the virus is likely to spread.

A bit less computer modelling and a larger dose of common sense would not go amiss.

I doubt any scientist anywhere advised against decanting covid positive cases into care homes. They would not have been asked such a ludicrous question, unless of course you know different. 

I'm sure they were also aware that students returning would present a risk too it was widely discussed after all. It was a political decision to reinstate education to as much normality as possible.  It took priority over keeping the pubs open.

Students were an extremely low risk though and returning them to some peer group social interaction would seem like a good idea as far as their mental welfare was concerned. I can only imagine the outcry from you had students been asked to stay at home and do all their learning on line.

You certainly know how to manufacture a grievance though.

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

I doubt any scientist anywhere advised against decanting covid positive cases into care homes. They would not have been asked such a ludicrous question, unless of course you know different. 

I'm sure they were also aware that students returning would present a risk too it was widely discussed after all. It was a political decision to reinstate education to as much normality as possible.  It took priority over keeping the pubs open.

Students were an extremely low risk though and returning them to some peer group social interaction would seem like a good idea as far as their mental welfare was concerned. I can only imagine the outcry from you had students been asked to stay at home and do all their learning on line.

You certainly know how to manufacture a grievance though.

Yet we should still listen to them?? I'm glad you think that calling out catastrophic govt decisions that resulted in 2500 deaths in care homes constitutes a  "manufactured grievance". Again,  allowing students to return to their accomodation has resulted in thousands of cases and the possible destruction of large parts of the hospitality industry and huge disruption to millions of people. Allow me to not give a flying **** about students "peer group interaction" or "mental health", a term which nowadays is used more commonly to refer to one or two of the problems or bumps in the road that all of us face. Being responsible for finding your own way around these issues is part of life. It also does no favours to those who genuinely suffer from mental illness.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic