Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Heartsmad1874
Just now, milky_26 said:

posted in the terrace but the scotlad england u19 game at st georges park has been abandoned due to covid, no other info given

Just got a notification from Sky sports saying a member of backroom staff received a positive result.

7D41AAF6-51C4-4272-935C-B5272DAD79BE.jpeg

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

doctor jambo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

When you're finished with slam-dunking the doc' can you tune me in on how to pass my reguar pish tests pls?

Ta.

He’s wrong, Simples.

And you can’t 
pass em by not staying off the drugs

28 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

My 30 year old sister just had a confirmed positive test. Temp was 42 this morning 🙄 and is pretty floored. Caught it at college, lives in Durham.

At 30 she has about a 99.9995% chance of being ok. Best wishes to her. 👍

Konrad von Carstein
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

I was wearing a brown belt with black shoes today, too. My sense of taste has gone completely.

Don't agree with much you post on this thread, but you do raise a smile from time to time with your delivery, but this brought on a guffaw...Well done!

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

17,540 new positive tests in the UK . It didn't take us long to catch and overtake France and Spain :arry:

77 deaths. Still nowhere near the 1000 a day in April.

3,412 in hospital with 442 of those in ICU. 20,000 were in hospital in April

How many were in hospital / icu two weeks ago?? Surely there can't really be any flat earthers left who believe this thing isn't getting worse again. 

Just now, XB52 said:

How many were in hospital / icu two weeks ago?? Surely there can't really be any flat earthers left who believe this thing isn't getting worse again. 

I don't think anyone has said it's not getting worse, it's nowhere near bad enough to justify the actions taken seems to be the argument.

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, XB52 said:

A virus that spreads in the community when people are out doing things not staying at home anymore. Who would have thought of that.

Jump back behind the sofa everytime deaths/cases increase until theres a vaccine 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by Heartsmad1874

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I don't think anyone has said it's not getting worse, it's nowhere near bad enough to justify the actions taken seems to be the argument.

There are loads on here who seem to think it's a hoax/the flu etc. 

Riddley Walker
5 minutes ago, graygo said:

At 30 she has about a 99.9995% chance of being ok. Best wishes to her. 👍

Yup, not overly worried about it and don't think she is either. Her husband has pretty bad asthma so we'll see how that goes if he gets it.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Why would any sane government allow it to get to the heights of 6 months ago, before acting. People really need their heids read, if they think the only justification to close pubs etc... Is if and when we hit 1000 deaths a day. 

As a wee side note. Scotland and her people need to sort their addiction to alcohol. Fecking embarrassing. 

11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

He’s wrong, Simples.

And you can’t 

There’s bound to be some way of faking it. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago, surely someone somewhere has thought of how to change pish. 

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

A virus that spreads in the community when people are out doing things not staying at home anymore. Who would have thought of that.

Jump back behind the sofa everytime deaths go above 10.

I'm quite happy living in the sun in Turkey thanks very much. Wear a mask every time I leave the house to go to the pub. Just because I don't live in fear doesn't mean I don't understand the real dangers of this virus 

Just now, ri Alban said:

Why would any sane government allow it to get to the heights of 6 months ago, before acting. People really need their heids read, if they think the only justification to close pubs etc... Is if and when we hit 1000 deaths a day. 

As a wee side note. Scotland and her people need to sort their addiction to alcohol. Fecking embarrassing. 

I doubt closing pubs will make the slightest difference to the numbers. The whole attitude Of the public towards the virus has changed imo. Nothing will stop it this time. 

doctor jambo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There’s bound to be some way of faking it. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago, surely someone somewhere has thought of how to change pish. 

The only people who try are stoners,  unless you want a urine bladder instillation .

I doubt closing pubs will make the slightest difference to the numbers. The whole attitude Of the public towards the virus has changed imo. Nothing will stop it this time. 

Jail time and 10 grand fines will do the trick. 

Just now, doctor jambo said:

The only people who try are stoners,  unless you want a urine bladder instillation .

Sounds like some sort of Damien Hirst effort that. 

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I'm quite happy living in the sun in Turkey thanks very much. Wear a mask every time I leave the house to go to the pub. Just because I don't live in fear doesn't mean I don't understand the real dangers of this virus 

I was being sarcastic bud. It is a danger but to have to close things down again just after they reopen (under strict new guidelines for safety) then they have to close because theres a rise in cases. It's not a sustainable or long term strategy that is going to work here in Scotland/UK.

Just now, XB52 said:

It is indeed getting worse.   Without something changing the course of what's happening,  I'm really not sure what these people expect to happen,  other than it getting worse.   

What should be remembered here,  but is ignored instead,  is that the prevalence of virus is still at very low percentage of the population.   I'm not sure what these people expect to happen when it really gets out.

Something needs to happen to fundamentally alter the course of the spread.   Closing pubs and restaurants is not going to change a thing.   The only thing that can make any difference is a very high level of societal gravitas.   Who imagines that will suddenly start?   Not me.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Jail time and 10 grand fines will do the trick. 

It won’t. It was fear of the virus that kept people sticking to rules during first lockdown. As soon as people stop being scared of it they stop obeying or work ways around the rules. The only thing that’ll get people scared again is if there are ambulances and hazmat suits  all over town and cities. By that time it’ll be too late. 

Edited by GinRummy

Are people willing to allow the old, sick or vulnerable folk die, just to let others carry on as normal. 

How many is acceptable, until your pint tastes flat? 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Are people willing to allow the old, sick or vulnerable folk die, just to let others carry on as normal. 

People will allow that to happen. 

Heartsmad1874

Can you quote a post where someone has said that?

It won’t. It was fear of the virus that kept people sticking to rules during first lockdown. As soon as people stop being scared of it they stop obeying or work ways around the rules. The only think that’ll get people scared again is if there are ambulances and hazmat suits  all over town and cities. By that time it’ll be too late. 

Hell mend them. Folk only seem to learn when it hits them or someone in their family. But as you say, too late. 

The PM needs to grow a pair or ask the FM for alone of hers. Like her or loathe her, she's a determined wee shite. 

2 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Can you quote a post where someone has said that?

Yes they have. 

The new one being, people living beyond average age. Feck off the lot of them. 

Edited by ri Alban

They aren't willing to let people die as such but the deaths of people are routinely dismissed as almost expected.  Explained as normal.  Downgraded to unimportant on the premise of other people not dying,  etc

Some people still hawk the notion about shielding some arbitrary group and to consign everyone else to an unsuppressed virus.   Utterly dumb,  naive,  blinkered nonsense.   They seem to be more than willing to impose isolation on people who perhaps would like a say in the matter.   They bemoan the non CV health effects but do not take into account the state of the NHS that's having to deal with much higher covid workload.

There is no easy answer.   It's a puzzle that cannot be solved.   Two things together gives us the best chance.   Ongoing suppression + people getting their heads out of fairytale land.

27 minutes ago, XB52 said:

There are loads on here who seem to think it's a hoax/the flu etc. 

2 or 3 tops, they just shout loud and often.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It is indeed getting worse.   Without something changing the course of what's happening,  I'm really not sure what these people expect to happen,  other than it getting worse.   

What should be remembered here,  but is ignored instead,  is that the prevalence of virus is still at very low percentage of the population.   I'm not sure what these people expect to happen when it really gets out.

Something needs to happen to fundamentally alter the course of the spread.   Closing pubs and restaurants is not going to change a thing.   The only thing that can make any difference is a very high level of societal gravitas.   Who imagines that will suddenly start?   Not me.

one thing which could happen is that more and more people will catch it as you infer and more and more people suffer a mild illness with a small proportion unfortunately dying / becoming very ill

not unlike many diseases at a high-level

note the use of the word “could”

its possible that herd immunity may also progress but I won’t even go that far but far from impossible

20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Pretty sure folk are suggesting they are shielded, protected, not left to die as you've spun it.

1 hour ago, 1971fozzy said:

Hoping one of you fine people can advise as I can’t find the info I need.

our daughter lives in halls in Glasgow Uni, and caught covid. She’s fine and has isolated and now fine to go outside etc. She wants to come home only for  next weekend for a visit but we aren’t sure if she can ? Do we have to isolate at home ? Can she travel on the train ? And would she have to isolate again on her return to uni ?

apologies but we are confused. 

Sorry for providing an alternative and no doubt unwanted answer, Fozzy, but the advice appears to say that she can't. It is of course up to you what you do.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/pages/students/ (see Returning home for a visit or short stay)

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Pretty sure folk are suggesting they are shielded, protected, not left to die as you've spun it.

Are you sure? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They aren't willing to let people die as such but the deaths of people are routinely dismissed as almost expected.  Explained as normal.  Downgraded to unimportant on the premise of other people not dying,  etc

Some people still hawk the notion about shielding some arbitrary group and to consign everyone else to an unsuppressed virus.   Utterly dumb,  naive,  blinkered nonsense.   They seem to be more than willing to impose isolation on people who perhaps would like a say in the matter.   They bemoan the non CV health effects but do not take into account the state of the NHS that's having to deal with much higher covid workload.

There is no easy answer.   It's a puzzle that cannot be solved.   Two things together gives us the best chance.   Ongoing suppression + people getting their heads out of fairytale land.

there is lots to be done across the spectrum of deaths from all diseases

nhs is always overwhelmed to the extent waiting lists exist which can fundamentally affect prognosis

thats the problem with posts like yours here is that something you are trying to attach specifically to covid (and reaction to it) can very very easily be shown not to be specific to covid

and as mentioned before a vulnerable group for shielding has already been defined - neither of us may agree on the parameters used but it has already been done - those parameters would need adjusted and again both of us are unlikely to fully agree with the revised groupings but it can very clearly be done

16 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

one thing which could happen is that more and more people will catch it as you infer and more and more people suffer a mild illness with a small proportion unfortunately dying / becoming very ill

not unlike many diseases at a high-level

note the use of the word “could”

its possible that herd immunity may also progress but I won’t even go that far but far from impossible

Herd immunity is little more than a hypothetical idea.   Nobody knows if it's even possible that herd immunity will reach a level and,  more importantly,  sustain at a level that protects the more susceptible.   We still don't know the scale of the levels of natural immunity,  T-cell protection,  etc.   It is widely believed that infection acquired antibody presence is fairly short lived.    So for sll we know,  buiding up herd immunity might be about as likely as trying to fill a sieve with water.

Edited by Victorian

I know Cineworld is now closed but are the other cinemas still open during this mini-lockdown? Really want to see a film coming out tomorrow...

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Herd immunity is little more than a hypothetical idea.   Nobody knows if it's even possible that herd immunity will reach a level and,  more importantly,  sustain at a level that protects the more susceptible.   We still don't know the scale of the levels of natural immunity,  T-cell protection,  etc.   It is widely believed that infection aquired antibody presence is fairly short lived.    So for sll we know,  buiding up herd immunity might be about as likely as trying to fill a sieve with water.

correct we don’t know - that’s why I said I wouldn’t go that far - there is some hope though - its not just a fanciful notion with no foundation 

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, Pele_Is_God said:

I know Cineworld is now closed but are the other cinemas still open during this mini-lockdown? Really want to see a film coming out tomorrow...

I think certain Vue's and Odeons are both open.

Edit : Most if not all are open now.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

If herd immunity was real, why isn't the world immune from the cold or flu. 🤔

tweet this to the scientists mate - they can bin the investigations and move onto something more worthwhile

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

there is lots to be done across the spectrum of deaths from all diseases

nhs is always overwhelmed to the extent waiting lists exist which can fundamentally affect prognosis

thats the problem with posts like yours here is that something you are trying to attach specifically to covid (and reaction to it) can very very easily be shown not to be specific to covid

and as mentioned before a vulnerable group for shielding has already been defined - neither of us may agree on the parameters used but it has already been done - those parameters would need adjusted and again both of us are unlikely to fully agree with the revised groupings but it can very clearly be done

It was done,  but it was done amid higher public seriousness and a lockdown.   The virus never got in about the working old / ill.    The defined group to be shielded will never be wide enough to include the vast numbers of people who need to work and support households but who are a bit older and with health vulnerabilities.   Defining a shielded group and a group to get on with it under less suppression is fraught with uncertainty.

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Sorry for providing an alternative and no doubt unwanted answer, Fozzy, but the advice appears to say that she can't. It is of course up to you what you do.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/pages/students/ (see Returning home for a visit or short stay)

thanks for this. I’d read it but as she has isolated , had it, and ok now to go outside etc I thought she’d be able to. It’s reading this again that’s making me think she maybe can’t. I’ll make some calls tomorrow. Thanks for the reply 👍

6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

correct we don’t know - that’s why I said I wouldn’t go that far - there is some hope though - its not just a fanciful notion with no foundation 

Yep,  unknown.   As it's unknown then it can't really be high on the list of responsible policies for the scientists.   

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

It was done,  but it was done amid higher public seriousness and a lockdown.   The virus never got in about the working old / ill.    The defined group to be shielded will never be wide enough to include the vast numbers of people who need to work and support households but who are a bit older and with health vulnerabilities.   Defining a shielded group and a group to get on with it under less suppression is fraught with uncertainty.

correct it’s never going to exact - a level of pragmatism and additional support financial and other would be required

it’s never going to solve all issues and save all lives or jobs - that would be naive

not to be dismissed tho just because it would be difficult and not a 100% solution

again the best solution is often imperfect and again not specific to covid

open mind required 

1 minute ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Can someone tell me why vulnerable people don’t just shield and the rest of us just get on with things?

Fuse lit - check

Throw into room - check

Stand back and watch the carnage - waiting

2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

correct it’s never going to exact - a level of pragmatism and additional support financial and other would be required

it’s never going to solve all issues and save all lives or jobs - that would be naive

not to be dismissed tho just because it would be difficult and not a 100% solution

again the best solution is often imperfect and again not specific to covid

open mind required 

Agree with all of that.   Especially keeping an open mind.    

4 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Can someone tell me why vulnerable people don’t just shield and the rest of us just get on with things?

Read the last 400 pages, this has been going round in a loop for months.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

He’s wrong, Simples.

And you can’t 

More bad news, doc', when will it end? :(

6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Because they’re lazy and can’t be bothered getting a job?

Heartsmad1874
Just now, GinRummy said:

Because they’re lazy and can’t be bothered getting a job?

According to another poster the building trade is taking on loads of folk. 👍🏻👍🏻

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic