Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I wonder how people suggest the rules are enforced. Police patrolling every street and housing estate in the country isn’t practicable. The grass line, whilst heaven for some is unlikely to be all that effective. 

I have no idea how we would do it 

You effectively need self compliance. Your not going to self compliance with rules that people hate. 

Probably be similar to weed . Police get multiple reports of people smoking in the house but effectively cannot control it or investigate it due to resources 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

Another famous Wilde quote is "You can never be overdressed or overeducated".

He was basically just the 19th century 'Train guy' and a bit of a banter lantern.

Or this “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” 

Francis Albert

Another epigram, relevant to this thread, from Kingsley Amis. "There is no pleasure in life worth giving up for the sake of an extra two years in a geriatric ward in Weston Super Mare"

9 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I think Sturgeon has made a big error by asking the people who are already following the guidance to take even more restrictions, which has a huge impact on all our lives, whilst there will continue to be soft touch lack of enforcement for those who don't give a shit. 

This is where she'll lose people. Whilst I understand the rationale behind further restrictions, and I might not even agree with them, whats the ****ing point when other folk are just ignoring them and getting off scot free?

Aye. I’ve been hugely supportive of her approach up until now, but I think they’ve called it wrong this time.  We’ve been told for weeks that the science is telling us that the virus is becoming more prevalent in youth due to large gatherings etc, yet 12-17 year olds can still mingle in groups of 6 from multiple households, and folk can still all meet up in the pub???  Add to that the fact that there’s nothing stopping folk going on holiday, bringing it back and then failing to quarantine (which I believe, along with reopening of pubs, has been the major contributor to the second wave).  

I can only see my Mum if she comes up and sits in my garden (which is going to be shit for her during the winter).  I can’t see my newborn nephew either, unless I meet him in the pub or take him out on a ****ing grouse shooting trip.

Must admit, it feels like a kick in the shins for grown adults who have done our bit for the last 6 months but I’ll do what I need to do I suppose.  

Riddley Walker
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Awe that’s a bit harsh he seems quite an educated fellow ! Pardon the irony 👍😂

I've no idea if he's educated but he's a bizarre chap. Bringing up all sorts of shit about Greeks and Shakespeare and the history of gay oppression all because I don't really like one Oscar Wilde quote. 

13 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

What was Groucho's surname like? Mark as well?

In fairness to me you did call me an illiterate simpleton yesterday, maybe you were right. 

I think though, that I've hurt your feelings and I'm sorry for that regardless of yesterday's insults.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

the Swedish thing really does rattle a few cages :(

the accuracy of airport testing has always known to be low - if Kay burley is surprised by that she needs to have a look at her own performance 

that’s why 🇬🇧 didn’t do it in the first place - that Jenny whatshername explained about the 5-6 events which would all need to fall into place for a test to be valid 

it’s basically a look what we’re doing to make you feel safe measure which 🇬🇧 originally resisted (of course just put down to incompetence by the amateur experts )

5 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

I've no idea if he's educated but he's a bizarre chap. Bringing up all sorts of shit about Greeks and Shakespeare and the history of gay oppression all because I don't really like one Oscar Wilde quote. 

He’s just trying to add some level of culture and high brow class to this sometimes low brow forum 👍😂 and a good bit of humour which we all need the now 

9 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Another epigram, relevant to this thread, from Kingsley Amis. "There is no pleasure in life worth giving up for the sake of an extra two years in a geriatric ward in Weston Super Mare"

That’s terrific and so relevant 

Riddley Walker
5 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

In fairness to me you did call me an illiterate simpleton yesterday, maybe you were right. 

I think though, that I've hurt your feelings and I'm sorry for that regardless of yesterday's insults.

Ah, so yesterday's disagreement (where you lost your shit at my innocuous comment) has stayed with you. 

While thankful for your concern, there are no hurt feelings here. Just a general bewilderment at the way you fly into stuff with unrelated comments.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Good article 

0316E6D2-5BBD-4E73-8FB0-D90770AF7A37.jpeg

Yes, and ignored at every avenue, because he doesn't suit the Scottish Executive's politics.

She's not playing politics with a pandemic though...

17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Very relevant and true.

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I will relax more when people are taking this seriously and following the rules and guidelines that are in place, and not encouraging others to not follow them.

Do you take seasonal flu this "seriously"? 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
18 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Ah, so yesterday's disagreement (where you lost your shit at my innocuous comment) has stayed with you. 

This type of textbook social media stuff is quite amusing

like it’s got to have been a significant event for someone to remember something from yesterday

”stayed with you “ :lol:

there’s quite a lot of it on here 

Social weirdo Rosa Klebb admitting she'd have closed down the hospitality industry if she had the chance.

Before yet politicising the situation. Can't help herself. 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

I think we would be in lockdown in her preferred scenario. Its simply that decision can’t be financed.

Absolutely. Her moral compass and personality now coming to the fore. Let's face it, she doesn't have friends or a social life. She doesn't enjoy a pint or have visitors round. Enjoy a week away in the sun. Strange wee woman with a strange wee husband. 

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Cracking CV that, he would walk in to many jobs. However I see nothing of relevance that debunks my claims about his suitability to dictate all our lives through this scamdemic.

I'd cast him in HMS Pinafore however, oh wait a minute we have no theatre right now.

How'd I guess you'd be against it. The FM should put Hamza up to the podium just to make  your head really explode. 

Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Ta. 

I think the approx local breakdown iirc was 202 in Glasgow,  120 In Lanarkshire,  50 in Lothian.  Glasgow figures included  an outbreak in one of the Universities 

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

How'd I guess you'd be against it. The FM should put Hamza up to the podium just to make  your head really explode. 

Aye but she won’t do that she a one woman show 

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

Ohh this is becoming comedy gold now. Test and trace is of little use of understanding where the cause of the spread is from. The basis of the restrictions is because that’s what people say they’ve done ie.visit friends, go for something to eat. That’s pretty much all we’ve been allowed to do. 

Apparently you don’t even need data to know that’s the case.

Restrictions not working in Glasgow but it’s gone nationwide. 

The data won’t be coming anytime soon.

7% positivity rate is pretty mental though.

Just do as you please little moaners. I just hope in 6 months you don't regret burying your old relatives. 👍

6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Ta. 

Remember when Wednesday was the dreaded day when high death figures were announced? 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Aye but she won’t do that she a one woman show 

She rather good at it. And long may it continue. I hope covid stays forever and every and ever and ever with no vaccine or cure ever.

Please stay Covid, don’t goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's plenty folk here who want to meet you. 

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Remember when Wednesday was the dreaded day when high death figures were announced? 

Yes they were in the 100s people need to remember that . No need to panic . 

4 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Just do as you please little moaners. I just hope in 6 months you don't regret burying your old relatives. 👍

Jesus that old chestnut Again change the record 

Just now, Lord BJ said:

😂

Wow how annoyed do you get about anything not Uber positive about the fish

You must be pretty happy right now. You wanted a second wave and more deaths after all🤷🏻‍♂️

He’s loving it , tragic really . 

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Not really. Tuesdays usually when the weekend lag would catch up but that was back in the day. 

Shooter McGavin

I think people are beginning to think life with restrictions or another lockdown is more damaging than just letting the virus run it’s course.

It’s clear it isn’t as deadly as once thought, in fact it is significantly less fatal than you’d have believed back in January, February & March.

It’s constantly compared to the flu, and as someone with zero background in medical science I really can’t comment on whether that’s a fair comparison, but the overall impression is that it is like the flu in that a vaccine isn’t necessarily the answer and it just needs to run it’s course.

Edited by Shooter McGavin

1 minute ago, Lord BJ said:

😂

Wow how annoyed do you get about anything not Uber positive about the fish

You must be pretty happy right now. You wanted a second wave and more deaths after all🤷🏻‍♂️

She’s not doing As well as you think mate but carry on with your love fest with her 👍

08917185-D4A2-4F75-81E5-C48ED9732607.png

Just now, Shooter McGavin said:

I think people are beginning to think life with restrictions or another lockdown is more damaging than just letting the virus run it’s course.

It’s clear it isn’t as deadly as once thought, in fact it is significantly less fatal than you’d have believed back in January, February & March.

It’s constantly compared to the flu, and as someone with zero background in medical science I really can’t comment on wether that’s a fair comparison, but the overall impression is that it is like the flu in that a vaccine isn’t necessarily the answer and it just needs to run it’s course.

Common sense at last . 

1 minute ago, Robbofan99 said:

She’s not doing As well as you think mate but carry on with your love fest with her 👍

08917185-D4A2-4F75-81E5-C48ED9732607.png

I thought she was overestimating deaths to keep us in check? 

5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

She rather good at it. And long may it continue. I hope covid stays forever and every and ever and ever with no vaccine or cure ever.

Please stay Covid, don’t goooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There's plenty folk here who want to meet you. 

E4CE4D40-1A5F-4DB7-A048-AF3A98BC077B.jpeg

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

One of many a great quote from him.

What I take from that CV is he is more of a professional student than a grafter. He was at Harvard as he was hitting 40 years old ffs. 

Somebody at the age of 40 recognising that he can still benefit from learning?

BURN HIM!!!

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Ohh this is becoming comedy gold now. Test and trace is of little use of understanding where the cause of the spread is from. The basis of the restrictions is because that’s what people say they’ve done ie.visit friends, go for something to eat. That’s pretty much all we’ve been allowed to do. 

Using her argument, the only way to be sure is to lock down again. They managed to identify an outbreak that involved 26 bars in Aberdeen. Now, she claims they can't pinpoint where the infection happened.  Most people will be going to cafes, pubs or restaurants aswell as supermarkets.  Do we close all of them down??  How about symptoms? Surely they know that?  What percentage of positive tests have no symptoms?? How many are in hospital BECAUSE of Covid and how many were in hospital and caught it there? Bigging up how bad Covid is, every single day, has to stand up to scrutiny?  Deaths are a miniscule proportion of the 170 that die every day in Scotland. We need a far more grown up discussion in Scotland rather than the bland platitudes we have been used to. Because, every individual can analyse the evidence and make their own  judgements and most people are simply not frightened of Covid

11 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Hopefully, the FM does regret her catastrophic decision to decant positive Covid patients into care homes and to ring fence hospitals for mythical predictions about hospitals being overwhelmed. Denying vital lifesaving treatment to, for example, cancer patients

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Like her or loath her she generally very competent. She was awful today and The logic/rational was all over the place. 

It becoming clear major decisions are being made with little evidence/data to back up the decision. 

They are getting very twitchy and some of the questioning now. Whilst her attempts to cut of counter arguments are awful.

Does she ever take. Day off ? Seriously ? And the use of “ I “ when talking about Govt decisions related to restrictions is so grating ! She’s now like Trump where no one in her party seems to want to challenge her decisions . The regulations should be a shared responsibility and accountability from all in her party . She’s acting like a dictator . Scarey stuff . She’s almost manic now 

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Hopefully, the FM does regret her catastrophic decision to decant positive Covid patients into care homes and to ring fence hospitals for mythical predictions about hospitals being overwhelmed. Denying vital lifesaving treatment to, for example, cancer patients

One of if not the most moronic decisions taken throughout all of this 

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, Captain Canada said:

This comment throws up so many more questions. Everything is being based on testing and up here it's "a bit rubbish" and down south it has "a very high false positive rate." 

Not sure why the media haven’t picked up on this more. When Jason Leitch said they were a bit rubbish I was expecting everyone to start asking real questions about the efficacy of the PCR tests but nothing happened. Surely, if we are basing such extreme public policy on these tests we need to be absolutely certain they work. From what I’ve read there are some real issues with these tests and they were never designed as a diagnostic tool. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Are the tests at airport different or something. Since if we’re basing anything on a test that has a 7% accuracy rate, the govts should resign on mass.

I wouldn't trust a word out of that spunknugget Raab's mouth, let alone any statistics he's talking about.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Riddley Walker said:

I mean, that quote is utter nonsense though isn't it? 

It is if you read it literally.

It isn't if you read it metaphorically.

It is way out of context here, though. I'll give you that.

34 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Did Australia bin the test and trace system they used saying it was no use ?

Just wondering if it's the same and unless it's a Korean type system then it's not that much good ?

Here’s some rare Coronavirus good news...

The fraction of cases resulting in deaths from COVID-19 keeps falling in Europe. Down to just over 1% in September.

March - 6.6
April - 10.7
May - 6.3
June - 3.1
July - 2.2
Aug - 1.2
Sep - 1.1

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic