Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Sweden also had this in their favour: https://www.statista.com/statistics/526013/sweden-number-of-households-by-type/

The majority of the country is made up of single-person households - over 50%.  

Around 20% higher than the UK and indeed most of Europe where it is just over 30% on average.

Maybe just accept that they might have got it right.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’ve read a few of his articles. I think I’m just desperate for good news :lol: 

We all are mate surely even though it might not seem it in this thread.Said it before and will say it again I wish it would just **** right off.

Bern shitting it all week my wee man would not get away our planned trip and we are only going to Gifford ( he is obsessed with buses so going to stay in the Tiny House buses there ). Was already cancelled in March and thought it would be off again but at least we are getting a wee bit joy this time.

manaliveits105
9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I've met Harvard Graduates and TBH, they were wankers with little more knowledge than I gained from my SNC in Business Studies at Stevenson.

Correct this Harvard thing has always been a bit smoke and mirrors its like the university degrees or titles with a foot plot of land you can buy online 

Just now, vegas-voss said:

We all are mate surely even though it might not seem it in this thread.Said it before and will say it again I wish it would just **** right off.

Bern shitting it all week my wee man would not get away our planned trip and we are only going to Gifford ( he is obsessed with buses so going to stay in the Tiny House buses there ). Was already cancelled in March and thought it would be off again but at least we are getting a wee bit joy this time.

Have a great time 👍

Let us not forget that for a short period right at the start of all this, back in March, we had the Sweden approach. A light recommendation to work from home, avoid public transport and socially distance. It went completely tits up and not long after we had to enforce a full scale lockdown because we had over 4000 cases a day compared to 400 in Sweden.

Riddley Walker
45 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

“Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught”  Oscar Wilde 

I mean, that quote is utter nonsense though isn't it? 

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

He was probably pished when he came out with that nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

:lol: sounds good when posted on facebook though I bet. 

13 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Thanks we go on Monday can't wait to see his wee face when he sees it.

👍👍👍

Captain Canada

This comment throws up so many more questions. Everything is being based on testing and up here it's "a bit rubbish" and down south it has "a very high false positive rate." 

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Oscar's getting rubbished by JKB now 😂

I know that’s why I love this thread it goes from one mad topic to another 

4 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

This comment throws up so many more questions. Everything is being based on testing and up here it's "a bit rubbish" and down south it has "a very high false positive rate." 

This 100% I only caught him saying this on the move this morning and was not sure if he had said 7 or 70% but jezooooo !!

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I know that’s why I love this thread it goes from one mad topic to another 

One of the greatest poets and playwrights of all time, persecuted for his sexuality and he "must have been pished when he wrote that" .

9 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

It’s not really as he means that one learns more in daily living , from mistakes etc And we grow and develop rather than any form of formal “ education “ In formal “ education “ we learn facts which we just regurgitate . I’d rather have. A PHD ( pie hurling diploma ) from Tiswas than a formal one 😂

5 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

Is that not a different type of test that would be done in airports? One that gives very quick results.

That's not to say that the normal tests aren't a bit pish, they are.

Riddley Walker
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

One of the greatest poets and playwrights of all time, persecuted for his sexuality and he "must have been pished when he wrote that" .

It's a shite quote. What on earth does his profession or sexuality have to do with how good the quote is? :lol:

1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

I know ! Peasants really my dear 😂 

1 minute ago, Brian Dundas said:

He's not a Philosopher or speaker of truth though is he, and that quote bears no relation on how qualified or not Jason Leitch is to do the job he is currently doing

I think he was very much a speaker of the truth as it was at the time, he could be seen as a philosopher and refused to be gagged for his sexuality. He was also a very funny man. You probably shouldn't take his quotes literally but I actually think there is some truth in what he said about Education at that time and maybe even today.

15 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

He was probably pished when he came out with that nonsense.

Yes like most posters on this then ? 

Just now, SE16 3LN said:

I think he was very much a speaker of the truth as it was at the time, he could be seen as a philosopher and refused to be gagged for his sexuality. He was also a very funny man. You probably shouldn't take his quotes literally but I actually think there is some truth in what he said about Education at that time and maybe even today.

👍

4 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

It's a shite quote. What on earth does his profession or sexuality have to do with how good the quote is? :lol:

"Its a shite quote". You're some guy.

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

Is that not a different type of test that would be done in airports? One that gives very quick results.

That's not to say that the normal tests aren't a bit pish, they are.

So what does that mean then ? Interesting that he let cat out of the bag 

Riddley Walker
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

It’s not really as he means that one learns more in daily living , from mistakes etc And we grow and develop rather than any form of formal “ education “ In formal “ education “ we learn facts which we just regurgitate . I’d rather have. A PHD ( pie hurling diploma ) from Tiswas than a formal one 😂

That's quite a lot of sub text you've gleaned from that mate :lol:

5 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I know ! Peasants really my dear 😂 

I can't stop laughing James. Do people ever listen to themselves?

That's quite a lot of sub text you've gleaned from that mate :lol:

It’s only my interpretation from it ! I could be wrong 😂

The quote means whatever the person reading wants it to mean, the same with most quotes. It's quite a complex subject to cover in one sentence. 

Shooter McGavin
15 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

😳 if the testing methods they’ve been using are essentially in-effective, then where do we even go from here? 

2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I don’t think so ! You could say the sky is blue on this and cause world war 3 with people arguing it isn’t 

3 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Glad I’m making Someone laugh 😂 

Riddley Walker
Just now, JamesM48 said:

It’s only my interpretation from it ! I could be wrong 😂

Your interpretation is good tbf and that's probably what he meant. Just think it doesn't come across well itself.

1 minute ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The quote means whatever the person reading wants it to mean, the same with most quotes. It's quite a complex subject to cover in one sentence. 

Agreed 

Just now, Riddley Walker said:

Your interpretation is good tbf and that's probably what he meant. Just think it doesn't come across well itself.

👍

The Mighty Thor

I think Sturgeon has made a big error by asking the people who are already following the guidance to take even more restrictions, which has a huge impact on all our lives, whilst there will continue to be soft touch lack of enforcement for those who don't give a shit. 

This is where she'll lose people. Whilst I understand the rationale behind further restrictions, and I might not even agree with them, whats the ****ing point when other folk are just ignoring them and getting off scot free?

As usual, no response to what I said. Can you answer my question?

He did two years hard labour for having sex with a man, I imagine that would influence his world view. 

What about the Greeks Colin, were they just talking shite?

See that Karl Mark, what did he know and don't get me started on Shakespeare.

6 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So what does that mean then ? Interesting that he let cat out of the bag 

I think some countries reckon that finding 7% of Covid-19 cases coming through their airports with the rapid test is better than finding none whereas we don't, so allow people to self isolate for 14 days from most countries and then book a test if they show any symptoms.

Francis Albert

The Wilde quote is an epigram. Like one I quoted or paraphrased a couple of days ago  "You should resist everything except temptation".

It is not meant to be read literally but is intended to amuse (if you have that sort or any sort of sense of humour) and to make you think. 

It has worked. For some at least.

4 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

Stop now, I've got work to do. 

Riddley Walker

He did two years hard labour for having sex with a man, I imagine that would influence his world view. 

:cornette:

You're a proper weird guy.

jack D and coke
49 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Enjoy pal👍🏼

1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

Absolutely does. 
Im not having a breakdown about it either but it does seem like something he should know. The man advising the government should be able to reel off any figures you ask for surely. 

I think it's the spread in hospitals and care homes that is being kept under wraps. Any institutionalised setting is going to be rife for picking up respiratory infections. 5% in hospitality seems about right judging from restaurants and pubs that I've been to. Socially distanced, table service only, sanitised, 1 person only in the toilets, wearing masks when not seated. They are perfectly safe.  Enforcement is the key to sorting out venues that are not complying, as it should be with non-mask wearers.

The big difference between the rUK and Scotland is that Johnson is not scared of enforcement and wheeling out the Police/Army as necessary. The same approach that they have in France, Spsin, Germany. Sturgeon is still stuck in this airy fairy enchanted wilderness where all people are good and you just have to appeal to their better nature and their sense of community spirit. They're not and using blanket bans instead of targeting the law breakers is wrong.

It seems to be suggested that if she had borrowing powers that she would close hospitality.  That shows how little she knows about business and how dangerous it would be to give her those powers.

Also, trying to come across as erudite and saying 'Karl Mark' :rofl:

Maybe I meant Groucho. Sorry mate, you just brightened up my day.

Riddley Walker

Maybe I meant Groucho. Sorry mate, you just brightened up my day.

What was Groucho's surname like? Mark as well?

8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Bravo 👏 

8 minutes ago, Riddley Walker said:

:cornette:

You're a proper weird guy.

Awe that’s a bit harsh he seems quite an educated fellow ! Pardon the irony 👍😂

19 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Another famous Wilde quote is "You can never be overdressed or overeducated".

He was basically just the 19th century 'Train guy' and a bit of a banter lantern.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic