Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I think there is plenty fo truth in that, but there are some who think something else is at play.

Hopefully they do more and better at protecting jobs, income and businesses this time, if there is a this time.

👍

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

People's children were taken from them and sent to strangers. 

The church was pulling this stunt for years.

56 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock just announced that grandparents and people who provide informal child care will be except from lockdown rules. In England. 

Even if Sturgeon doesn't follow suit folk will carry on with this anyway.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Brian Dundas said:

Not the thread for this, but I can't resist asking why aren't more like Sweden when it comes to National Holidays

You should resist everything but temptation!

I doubt Sweden goes big on WW2 celebration or remembrance as it spent the war very profitably selling iron ore and other material to feed the Nazi war machine.

Edited by Francis Albert

2 hours ago, kila said:

I think you'll be back to washing your messages in the sink again come October 

Nope that wont be happening again Lockdown or no lockdown. 

31 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

You must also think they are also political in Wales, England and indeed many other countries across the planet? Scotland is not the only country to introduce measures to try and curb the spread of the virus.

They are politicians making the decision in the countries you mention so yes. IN MY VIEW the majority of politicians make decisions not only with the benefit of the electorate in mind but also on how it will make them look off the bsck of their decision to protect their job.  That may seem a bit cynical but, as I said, its only my view. Im well aware there are other countries setting measures against covid, again IMO, the Scottish government has their own agenda and I find Nicola Sturgeon quite patronising everytime shes mentioned her decision is 'not political'. I haven't heard the first minister of Wales or Northern Ireland reference this whenever they give briefings on covid but maybe I've just missed them saying it?

45 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

Turn the Highlands into a huge old peoples home that is fenced off from the rest of us, could work. Just fill up all the empty holiday parks

Just don't let the SNP or the Tories run it!!!

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The church was pulling this stunt for years.

Even if Sturgeon doesn't follow suit folk will carry on with this anyway.

Of course they will. 

Despite the necessity for clarity they still keep everything as complex as feck. 

You can see your granny but these kids can't. 

This is going to fail. 

Best advice is to look after yourself as best you can and respect others as much as you can 👍

8 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

I haven't heard the first minister of Wales or Northern Ireland reference this whenever they give briefings on covid but maybe I've just missed them saying it?

They don't continually get unionists claiming that everything they do is just political skullduggery. 

1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

Hancock just announced that grandparents and people who provide informal child care will be except from lockdown rules. In England. 

Thats bizarre as apparently the lockdowns are meant to be about protecting the most vulnerable....ie older people...! They really haven't got a f***** clue.  

In speaking with family here in Edinburgh and with my friends who live in Tenerife the effects of lockdown are beginning to hit home to some people. 
My son was telling me he has 3 friends who have lost their jobs and are now running out of money. He himself is not working as he was in the tourist industry which has died a death. Fortunately his wife is a Dr and obviously well paid, so they are coping well. 
In Tenerife the situation is dire for tourism which is really their main source of funding. Hotels not opening, bars, restaurants etc run by expats shut for good and the people returning home to the UK and very unlikely to go back. 
Street sleepers who relied heavily tourists have retuned to their home countries. My Paster there (Tenerife) who runs Noah’s Ark which helps these people has been feeding as many as 150, 3 times a week,  thanks to donations and food stuff from hotels who were prepared for tourists who never turned up due to lockdowns. He has also helped some of the Street Sleepers (who are not in the system) to fly home because if they stay in Tenerife they get no handouts or subsistence monies from government bodies and will literally starve. 
Lots of people in Tenerife have also lost their jobs because tourism is way down. 
Lockdown is a brutal tool (necessary?) and really needs to be a last resort option. I hope the leaders here think long and hard before they go in to hard in the coming days. Also people need to take responsibility for their own well being, as difficult as that might be and help cut the transmission of the virus. That will help us not go into a full lockdown which if it happens will decimate businesses and people’s financial situations. 

22 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

So, **** all is what we are saying.

65 million people and we lose a dinghy worth

The replacements are arriving every day. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I can only speak from an English perspective because I live down here but the government’s management of this has been so dismal it’s almost untrue. Six months of making it up as they go along, with no long-term planning - leading to this.

13 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

They don't continually get unionists claiming that everything they do is just political skullduggery. 

Ah see, you're making the assumption that I'm a unionist. If you check back some of my previous posts you will see I'm neither here nor there on the subject. One thing I can tell you though is I find Nicola Sturgeon very patronising. She may deliver a speech clearly and concisely but, ultimately, has she done anything better or different than bungling Boris other than speak more clearly?? Your comment sums up the world we live in now sadly. You need to be in one camp or another, left or the right and damn anyone who dare think differently 

1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

Ah see, you're making the assumption that I'm a unionist. If you check back some of my previous posts you will see I'm neither here nor there on the subject. One thing I can tell you though is I find Nicola Sturgeon very patronising. She may deliver a speech clearly and concisely but, ultimately, has she done anything better or different than bungling Boris other than speak more clearly?? Your comment sums up the world we live in now sadly. You need to be in one camp or another, left or the right and damn anyone who dare think differently 

I didn't say you were a unionist. 

1 minute ago, hmfcbilly said:

Speaking clearly and concisely is a fairly important skill for a countries leader to have I would have thought. What other skills does Boris have seeing as he doesn't have these?

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I can only speak from an English perspective because I live down here but the government’s management of this has been so dismal it’s almost untrue. Six months of making it up as they go along, with no long-term planning - leading to this.

It’s no better here. Politicians or advisors barely ever get anything right yet here we are with them ****ing about with our livelihoods back and forth after backing themselves into this corner and terrifying the population. They just don’t know (or have the bolloks) to try get out of it and of course some ****ing arseholes will try score a political goal out of some deaths it’s really depressing. 
Nobody should be political atm. 

Leaders who create fear are not leaders. For perspective, think of the type of leader to whom you would entrust your life if you were a soldier in battle. COVID has exposed politicians to be scared and weak, increasing fear instead of calming people. They are not leaders!

Just now, Robbofan99 said:
Leaders who create fear are not leaders. For perspective, think of the type of leader to whom you would entrust your life if you were a soldier in battle. COVID has exposed politicians to be scared and weak, increasing fear instead of calming people. They are not leaders!

They have not created fear.Folk just think they have been abysmal

1 hour ago, Normthebarman said:

It just seems like they aren't giving enough time for measures to effect. I thought most measures take 2 weeks to show in the figures? Yet we've went to 6 from 2 households, to talking about lockdown in a week. 

I think events are going downhill faster than the measures can keep up, for them to have any effect.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

A journalist on the radio earlier posed the question do we need more lockdown rules or do we need to enforce the ones we already have?

Quite.

That is exactly the point I've been repeating since June!  Some people just won't follow the rules without a stick to beat them down.

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is exactly the point I've been repeating since June!  Some people just won't follow the rules without a stick to beat them down.

What stick do you recommend?

39 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I didn't say you were a unionist. 

Apologies if I took your previous post to imply that Ray. 

39 minutes ago, graygo said:

Speaking clearly and concisely is a fairly important skill for a countries leader to have I would have thought. What other skills does Boris have seeing as he doesn't have these?

Not a lot, from the outside looking in thats for sure!

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

What stick do you recommend?

Many, such as breaking up mass gatherings with maximum force, criminal records, fines down to enforcing face mask rules on public transport and removing exemptions liars are using to get on without them.

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Again you are missing the point

My point is there may just be a lack of proportion. Even if Whitty's worst case assumptions  with no further restrictiond come about the score in  one months time   will be Covid19 200 Others 1500.

Approx.

Edited by Francis Albert

39 minutes ago, Brian Dundas said:

I don't think they were calling you Unionist, they were commenting that Unionists constantly claim that the daily briefings are a party political tool for independence, in other countries this doesn't happen

👍. Just re-read Ray's post. That'll teach me to reply to kickback whilst trying to do the dishes after dinner. Note to self...no good at multi tasking!😂😂

Francis Albert
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Many, such as breaking up mass gatherings with maximum force, criminal records, fines down to enforcing face mask rules on public transport and removing exemptions liars are using to get on without them.

Maximum force? Machine guns?

And where do the resources come from for even your less wild ideas?

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

My point is there may just be a lack of proportion. Even if Whitty's worst case assumptions are come about the score in one month will be Covid19 200 Others 1500. Approx.

Ffs some folk don’t get. The folk who are dying of other issues would die anyway COVID deaths are avoidable if selfish folk follow the rules. 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I’m surprised at you tbh. This is a police state you’re describing. 

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I would agree with all of that.

If the current guidance was fully enforced across the population and infections were still rising as they are then fair enough more restrictions would be required but the issue is infections are rising because selfish ***** are being selfish *****

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Who do you think is going to enforce any of that? We're relying on people to do as asked, of taking responsibility for their own civic duty. That's it. 

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

When you moving to North Korea or  China?.  It'll suit your prefered Government style it seems. 

This is just a reinforcement of restrictions rather than a lockdown.    There's still going to be virtually as much daily activity and interactions as there has been recently.    No widespread shutdown of workplaces.   No furlough and self employed support.   Other than scheduled breaks,  no school closures.    Largely,  the majority part of daily life carrying on as 'normal'.    Likely to be the beginning of a 6 month programme of restrictions + hoping for the best.

You would need to have just disembarked from a unicorn that flew in from Fantasy Island to expect public observance to rules and personal responsibility requests to reach anywhere near what is required.    Arguments about the rights & wrongs of what we're told to do aside,   the appetite to observe the rules simply isn't there.    For a variety of reasons,  the manager has lost the dressing room.

It would be fantastic if they've badly miscalculated and over-reacted.   Really fantastic.    What if they haven't though?    Does anyone expect a sufficient effort from the public?    

5 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

Ffs some folk don’t get. The folk who are dying of other issues would die anyway COVID deaths are avoidable if selfish folk follow the rules. 

Vast majority of Covid-19 deaths were going to die anyway, maybe not quite as quickly but most had comorbidities.

Sorry if that sounds crass.

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Maximum force? Machine guns?

And where do the resources come from for even your less wild ideas?

No, not machine guns, but full anti-riot gear for any organised mass gatherings, for example.

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This is just a reinforcement of restrictions rather than a lockdown.    There's still going to be virtually as much daily activity and interactions as there has been recently.    No widespread shutdown of workplaces.   No furlough and self employed support.   Other than scheduled breaks,  no school closures.    Largely,  the majority part of daily life carrying on as 'normal'.    Likely to be the beginning of a 6 month programme of restrictions + hoping for the best.

You would need to have just disembarked from a unicorn that flew in from Fantasy Island to expect public observance to rules and personal responsibility requests to reach anywhere near what is required.    Arguments about the rights & wrongs of what we're told to do aside,   the appetite to observe the rules simply isn't there.    For a variety of reasons,  the manager has lost the dressing room.

It would be fantastic if they've badly miscalculated and over-reacted.   Really fantastic.    What if they haven't though?    Does anyone expect a sufficient effort from the public?    

Agree totally.

The governments have been a bit of a shambles but they have tried to offer a carrot to reopen things, and people are taking liberties.

9 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m surprised at you tbh. This is a police state you’re describing. 

No - just want strict enforcement with the likes of the Meadows examples.

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, spirt of 98 said:

So if we follow the rules we will save all those people (most of them) dying with serious and multiple underlying conditions?

Francis Albert
Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yip, clearly some don't give a feck about anybody but themselves.

Topping up their Vitamin D levels as nature intended for one of the last times this year it will be possible.

Probably save more lives than most "measures".

Francis Albert
8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

No, not machine guns, but full anti-riot gear for any organised mass gatherings, for example.

So not maximum. Water cannons? Clubbing? Maybe knees on throats?

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Topping up their Vitamin D levels as nature intended for one of the last times this year it will be possible.

Don’t even try to defend the twits 

Just now, Francis Albert said:

You don't need to stand in a group to do that, but I'm sure you knew that already.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic