Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

If you had the virus of course no boss wants in work that goes for most flus/bugs as it hits the remaining staff but this is taking off work because the Government said to self Isolate, do you become responsible for no money coming into your household, its hardly your employers fault so why should they pay sick pay, how popular would you be if other peoples holidays are cancelled because of your time off been extended, for "just in case".

Not popular at all....   Self isolation is open to any interpretation of how your feeling.  Its noticeable if feeling unwell, your deterred from doctors/hospital medical intervention in the first instance.

No easy answer.......

1 minute ago, Armageddon said:

All the skivers buying used Italian boarding passes on eBay to get 2 weeks off work.

:)

Heavy coughing would get you sent home from most work.... Especially as the Virus spreads....

2 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There are many many viruses that are difficult to contain. Like the flu, which kills more people:

In China, COVID-19 has around 75,000 infected, almost 30,000 fully recovered and around 2,000 deaths.

In the same period,  in the US alone, The Flu has already infected 26,000,000, hospitalised over 250,000 and killed 14,000

I think that's a reasonable comparison and people shouldn't get overly worried. 

I made a similar point last week.  

The number of premature, preventable deaths from CV is tiny compared to other premature deaths from, say, diabetes. Individuals should take basic precautions as they do to prevent colds and flu, and worry less.

But the media have to have something to keep their ratings up, so expect the headlines to continue.

3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

There are many many viruses that are difficult to contain. Like the flu, which kills more people:

In China, COVID-19 has around 75,000 infected, almost 30,000 fully recovered and around 2,000 deaths.

In the same period,  in the US alone, The Flu has already infected 26,000,000, hospitalised over 250,000 and killed 14,000

I think that's a reasonable comparison and people shouldn't get overly worried. 

So going by those stats - 

The flu - 26 million infected 14000 dead = 0.05% death rate

Covid19 - 75000 infected 2000 dead = 2.6% death rate

This seems to be spreading very easily so I can understand why people are panicing and (going by those stats!) it is much much more fatal than the flu.

17 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

OMG I was in Tenerife in 2007. Thoughts with everyone involved

*posts pic of bikini and cocktail in hand to instagram and facebook

Don’t think anyone wants to see pics of you in a bikini, bud.

Are you trying to make them ill ?

😐

22 minutes ago, Longshanks said:

This seems to be spreading very easily so I can understand why people are panicing and (going by those stats!) it is much much more fatal than the flu.

Aye and you can get a jab to help with the flu 

Just now, vegas-voss said:

Aye and you can get a jab to help with the flu 

Shares in the company that make remdesiver(?), a drug that might combat this virus, have jumped 5% in the stock exchange.

Whatever happens, the pharmaceutical industry stand to make a fortune !

40 minutes ago, Boab said:

😐

:lol: 

17 minutes ago, Boab said:

Shares in the company that make remdesiver(?), a drug that might combat this virus, have jumped 5% in the stock exchange.

Whatever happens, the pharmaceutical industry stand to make a fortune !

Will cost about $20k a tablet in the US by the end of the month 🤣

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Will cost about $20k a tablet in the US by the end of the month 🤣

Although if you suck up the media hype there won't be anybody alive to make or take it.

Салатные палочки

Imagine how depressing it would be going on holiday and being told to stay in your room.  I bet if you tried to leave those police outside would arrest you.  I think I would rather just get a flight home.  

Shanks said no
52 minutes ago, Boab said:

😐

Speak for yourself 

8 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Although if you suck up the media hype there won't be anybody alive to make or take it.

We won't really know how bad this is for a bit yet.I would imagine if it's reaching popular holiday destinations it could really escalate.If it starts spreading to other parts of Italy I would say things are looking bleak for it spreading everywhere.Also the doctor in Tenerife he could have spread that all over the island already so there might already be flights back home to their own countries that are unaware they even have it.

I do take on board what you are saying about media hype though

Edited by vegas-voss

You don't see borders being closed and not being allowed to leave hotels and islands if there is no concern though.

Edited by vegas-voss

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

I can't mind SARS having as much news as this has.

SARS was more dangerous but didn't affect as many people. There have been a variety of flu-like cases - so fingers crossed infections start to recede in the coming months.

Quick bit of googling:

SARS in 2002 had around 8,000 cases and 800 deaths.

Bird Flu was 1,600 cases with 600 deaths.

The Swine Flu killed about 15,000 but there were tens of millions infected.

The flu kills around 56,000 people a year and that is with vaccines.

With those above, I still don't see any reason to panic yet. Unless the infection is still spreading globally in a month or two.

Jambo, Goodbye

1 hour ago, Longshanks said:

A 2.6% death rate (if accurate) would give you a 1-in-39 chance of kicking the bucket. Not even comparable to the bloody flu!

Though I do agree that the media are doing their best to stir things up for a good headline. 

Meanwhile in Raccoon City (Daegu) I'm stuck indoors until March 9th 😒

Here's my email below,

20200225_231750.thumb.jpg.611a939344a411083d87c4d81f03f694.jpg

Edited by Jambo, Goodbye

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

We won't really know how bad this is for a bit yet.I would imagine if it's reaching popular holiday destinations it could really escalate.If it starts spreading to other parts of Italy I would say things are looking bleak for it spreading everywhere.Also the doctor in Tenerife he could have spread that all over the island already so there might already be flights back home to their own countries that are unaware they even have it.

I'm booked to go to Turkey the first 2 weeks of April .... I'm watching nervously.

The Real Maroonblood
18 hours ago, JamboSpur said:

It’s spreading like wildfire.

Check out Twitter for some Coronavirus truths from China, pretty grim.

Drama queen alert.

I P Knightley
18 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

SARS was more dangerous but didn't affect as many people. There have been a variety of flu-like cases - so fingers crossed infections start to recede in the coming months.

Quick bit of googling:

SARS in 2002 had around 8,000 cases and 800 deaths.

Bird Flu was 1,600 cases with 600 deaths.

The Swine Flu killed about 15,000 but there were tens of millions infected.

The flu kills around 56,000 people a year and that is with vaccines.

With those above, I still don't see any reason to panic yet. Unless the infection is still spreading globally in a month or two.

SARS was pre the days of all-pervasive social media which may go some way to explain the level of panic surrounding this one. There wasn't much chat about SARS on Friends Reunited. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Just in the last 12 hours there has been a confirmed case in Sicily & 2 in Austria, all 3 from people who had been in/come from Lombardy in recent days, presumably they took the train or plane so there could be many more people wandering around Italy & Austria who have no idea they could be infected.

Switzerland & Croatia have also confirmed their first cases, and Barcelona has done likewise this afternoon.

It's not so much the number of new cases announced today, 7 or 8 in Europe, but it's more that they are in multiple locations and therefore the number of people those infected with the virus could have come in contact with could run into the hundreds and they have all went on their merry way, blissfully unaware...............

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just in the last 12 hours there has been a confirmed case in Sicily & 2 in Austria, all 3 from people who had been in/come from Lombardy in recent days, presumably they took the train or plane so there could be many more people wandering around Italy & Austria who have no idea they could be infected.

Switzerland & Croatia have also confirmed their first cases, and Barcelona has done likewise this afternoon.

It's not so much the number of new cases announced today, 7 or 8 in Europe, but it's more that they are in multiple locations and therefore the number of people those infected with the virus could have come in contact with could run into the hundreds and they have all went on their merry way, blissfully unaware...............

Have read that one of the problems is some people will show mild symptoms and not realise they have it and pass it onto others.I don't get how folk think a 3% death rate isn't much 9f a risk either to be honest.

Bear in mind that the death rate is only so high because most cases have been in nations with, shall we say, sub-par medical services.

It's nowhere near 1919 Spanish Flu or medieval Black Death levels.

:calmdown:

30 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Have read that one of the problems is some people will show mild symptoms and not realise they have it and pass it onto others.I don't get how folk think a 3% death rate isn't much 9f a risk either to be honest.

Been cases of people showing no symptoms whatsoever, but still test positive for the virus.

Another 3 death's just been announced in Northern Italy, making the total now I believe 10.

14 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Its killing 1 in 50 of those infected vast majority of whom are 75+ and/or had previous health issues so hardly much more threat than present bugs that go around every winter. Add to the fact people are living longer and are in a poorer state of health at the older age with things like heart issues/dementia there are going to be a constant flow of new viruses that have  pardon my term "a large victim pool" to pick from.

Still a worry though as we all no doubt have parents and grandparents that this virus will be a real danger too. My mum is entering 3rd stage dementia which is a vile disease in itself thx to the long drawn out suffering and how it takes from its victims so cruelly, if this bug spreads into UK fully I would have to go stay with her to police her actions, do the shopping etc and without me been sick how will such things be seen by employers as a requirement to take maybe months off is needed.

On the 'extreme' possible scenarios where I saw 600,000 people affected that is 12,000 deaths. 

Still no where near flu or road traffic accidents. 

The possible affects if there is total lockdown is serious. 

AlphonseCapone

3% as a raw percentage. However when controlling for age and co-morbidities you'll find the risk to be significantly lower. Yes, if you're older and/or have other health concerns then this new virus is likely worrying but that's true of a variety of things. Those most likely to die sooner in general are more likely to die from this. All pretty standard really. 

15 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

3% as a raw percentage. However when controlling for age and co-morbidities you'll find the risk to be significantly lower. Yes, if you're older and/or have other health concerns then this new virus is likely worrying but that's true of a variety of things. Those most likely to die sooner in general are more likely to die from this. All pretty standard really. 

Cheery for us older folk. 😄

18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Nobody older in your family ?

As usual until the shit lands at your own door folk don't give a rat's arse.Basically it's coming here let's just hope you don't get it and pass it onto an older relative.

18 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

First reports of it in Spain now Catalonian area.

In Barcelona according to the news this afternoon, first case on mainland Spain.

Mac_fae_Gillie

Would point out the death rate is 1.6% of those infected but they are getting full medical care, would that rise if it goes pandemic and hospitals can't cope so only 10% of population get full care and maybe 10% GP care remembering that healthcare staff are falling victim to it now anyway.

Poorer countries, refugee camps in Syria etc with little to no care such a bug could devastate.

4 hours ago, Jambo, Goodbye said:

A 2.6% death rate (if accurate) would give you a 1-in-39 chance of kicking the bucket. Not even comparable to the bloody flu!

Though I do agree that the media are doing their best to stir things up for a good headline. 

Meanwhile in Raccoon City (Daegu) I'm stuck indoors until March 9th 😒

Here's my email below,

20200225_231750.thumb.jpg.611a939344a411083d87c4d81f03f694.jpg

Goodbye, Jambo, Goodbye.

Brighton Jambo

All these people laughing it off as hype are just deflecting if you ask me.

i don’t mind admitting it worries me, not necessarily for myself but I have two young kids and two elderly parents one with respiratory issues.  

if there is even 0.1% chance that any of them could catch and be seriously ill from this then I am worried.  

AlphonseCapone
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Seems like a reasonable/pessimistic estimate. 

40-70%? What nonsense. 

Nobody older in your family ?

As usual until the shit lands at your own door folk don't give a rat's arse.Basically it's coming here let's just hope you don't get it and pass it onto an older relative.

Calm down mate. I'm not saying I don't care. I'm adding a sense of reasonable perspective to the absolute nonsense being spouting across the media. I'm more worried about the actual flu than coronavirus when it comes to a family member with severe COPD because rationally that's what's more likely to actually cause him serious harm. 

AlphonseCapone
11 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

i don’t mind admitting it worries me, not necessarily for myself but I have two young kids and two elderly parents one with respiratory issues.  

if there is even 0.1% chance that any of them could catch and be seriously ill from this then I am worried.  

No one is laughing it off. But there is nothing to deflect from. People are rightly pointing out that you should be more concerned about the normal flu than this. At this particular moment. 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, AlphonseCapone said:

No one is laughing it off. But there is nothing to deflect from. People are rightly pointing out that you should be more concerned about the normal flu than this. At this particular moment. 

Except that people have jabs to help protect against the flu.

also tell me the last time a flu epidemic led to borders being closed, people being put into quarantine, sporting events being cancelled?  No thought not as it’s never happened.  

20 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Do you worry about them dying from falling over or from a fire? They're more likely to kill them. There's no point in worrying about things that have a 0.1% chance of happening... especially when you can't control it.

Caution? Yes, sure. Worry? No... there's probably more of a risk worrying about the virus than the virus itself. See all the people queued up in South Korea to buy masks because they were worried? Probably increased their likelihood of catching it by a considerable factor from queuing up with others worried about the virus.

AlphonseCapone
13 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Except that people have jabs to help protect against the flu.

also tell me the last time a flu epidemic led to borders being closed, people being put into quarantine, sporting events being cancelled?  No thought not as it’s never happened.  

The flu jab has very variable results in any given year, and there are years it's not at all useful. 

Just because they are taking appropriate measures to contain a novel virus doesn't make it more dangerous than the flu. You do realise it would be practically impossible for the world to function if they closed borders for similar flu outbreaks. 

But it sounds like you've already decided to piss your pants about this so I'll leave you to it. 

A few selected Risk of death stats:

Infection: 1 in 709  - 0.14%

Lung Cancer: 1 in 42 - 2.38%

Alcohol abuse: 1 in 124 - 0.81%

Heart disease: 1 in 33 - 3.03%

Appendicitis/Pancreatitis: 1 in 548 - 0.18%

Accidental injury: 1 in 51 - 1.96%

Transport accident: 1 in 422 - 0.24%

Suicide: 1 in 140 - 0.71%

Worry about those.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

A few selected Risk of death stats:

Infection: 1 in 709  - 0.14%

Lung Cancer: 1 in 42 - 2.38%

Alcohol abuse: 1 in 124 - 0.81%

Heart disease: 1 in 33 - 3.03%

Appendicitis/Pancreatitis: 1 in 548 - 0.18%

Accidental injury: 1 in 51 - 1.96%

Transport accident: 1 in 422 - 0.24%

Suicide: 1 in 140 - 0.71%

Worry about those.

This.

People should be more worried about developing type-2 diabeties. 

11 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

The flu jab has very variable results in any given year, and there are years it's not at all useful. 

Just because they are taking appropriate measures to contain a novel virus doesn't make it more dangerous than the flu. You do realise it would be practically impossible for the world to function if they closed borders for similar flu outbreaks. 

But it sounds like you've already decided to piss your pants about this so I'll leave you to it. 

Two years ago the flu jab was next to useless, WHO picked the wrong strains to put into the jab and the strain that hit wasn't in the jab, lots of people died as a result.

Brighton Jambo
18 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Yeah mate ‘piss my pants’ worrying about something that could impact my kids.  You clearly don’t have young children. 

and yes I do worry about all those other things listed above when it comes to my children,  all responsible parents do.  This is now something else to add to the list. Not instead of, in addition to.  

Edited by Brighton Jambo

• Maple Leaf changed the title to Coronavirus pandemic
  • davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic