Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The most galling thing about having to read the unadulterated ignorance being shown here is the unthinkable prospect of the whole country having to undergo another full lockdown or something similar,   due to concerning outbreaks not being dealt with by the government.     It's expressly because everyone wants to retain the freedoms we've been given back that these measures are so vital.    The attitudes being displayed here is the thing that's sickening.     These attitudes profoundly endanger what we do have and what we are able to do.    To have sensible caution and understanding thrown back in your face is quite difficult to stomach.

Yes we do have to get on with our lives.   We have to live with the presence of the virus.   But we can do that if we accept that our governments need to suppress troubling outbreaks.    If transmission is fully accepted and allowed to go unchecked then we wont have our current freedoms.    A few people on here reallg need to give themselves a shake.     It's a disgusting type of ignorance that can end up punishing everyone.

👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The complexity of doing the contact tracing for this particular outbreak will actually have a beneficial element.    This is a real test for the systems and processes and will be invaluable for the future.    We're goung to need a working contact tracing system.    Badly.

Could it work if those at risk (age, existing illness) continued/resumed lockdown whilst those who don't appear to be at any significant risk got back to normal? Or would that not work? Purely from a scientific perspective rather than the morals of it.

What I don't really understand currently is why those who have been shielding are now to go back to work etc at a time when local lockdowns and more negativity seems to be appearing. It feels conflicting.

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

He's all over the shop.    

with my mask on and social distancing........youll be pleased to know....

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Mate, much like JiH’s obsession with ‘twits’ words like ‘disgusting’ and ‘sickening’ do not help create reasonable discussion. We’re all Hearts fans and we’re all trying to get through. 

I don’t have faith in just about any government’s reaction to just about any of this. 

We have no definition of what constitutes a worrying outbreak versus one that is small and contained. Blind adherence to government proclamations, to me at least, feels like an abdication of personal responsibility. 

If I choose to go to a pub then I’m fairly cool with knowing I’m at greater risk of picking up Covid, the flu or a fist in the face than if I were to head to Tesco looking like an astronaut and then sitting at home for the rest of the night. Personal responsibility starts and stops with the individual and it works both ways. Increased government interference (who were voted for by a minority, don’t forget) only reduces people’s future ability to make reasoned and sensible decisions, relying instead on rules from an authority figure. 

Tremendous assumption making mate.   Who said I blindly adhere to anything?    Or anyone else?     In this instance it's absolutely obvious that the government is right to stamp on this outbreak.    

Personal responsibility is fine and a real concept.   But it doesn't substitute for state intervention where appropriate.     Your post is a confused bit of mumbo jumbo if truth be told.

31 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Mate I’m almost amused at people putting time scales on this. How many businesses can cope with another 6-12 months of this? 
Im genuinely concerned about the state of the country. This isn’t going away in 6 or 12 months. 
A vaccine is almost pointless imo for the amount of people who will refuse it. 
I had a guy tell me he’d watched something the other night that had brought it all home to him apparently. He’s normally not one for these posts so I asked what it was thinking maybe I’d be surprised. I wasn’t surprised at all. It was all the same garbage I’ve read a hundred times already. Minutes in and Bill Gates etc were getting mentioned as well as things like mercury in vaccines and fluoride in the water supply. Soros and the Rockefellers etc and it just kept coming. Millions of people are down these rabbit holes that aren’t coming back out of them. 
The world is messed because of social media. Absolutely and utterly messed

Couldn't agree more. Sad times

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Could it work if those at risk (age, existing illness) continued/resumed lockdown whilst those who don't appear to be at any significant risk got back to normal? Or would that not work? Purely from a scientific perspective rather than the morals of it.

What I don't really understand currently is why those who have been shielding are now to go back to work etc at a time when local lockdowns and more negativity seems to be appearing. It feels conflicting.

Think of all the teenagers and those in their early 20s who stay with parents who will fall into the higher risk 50+ group.

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I don’t think it is obvious, but you do, so that’s where we differ. Nor did I say you blindly adhered to anything - but from the tone of your post I think assuming you would like people to follow all rules relating to Covid is not an unfair one to make. 

As for posting ‘confused mumbo jumbo’, I’ll take that as a compliment given it elevates it above 85% of the posts on the site 😜

Well going forward,   I will be trying to follow all of my own personal responsibilities and will continue to make sensible decisions.     I will also accept government intervention where it is appropriate.    The kind of blind,  mindless criticism of the actions of this government that have appeared here is of no value whatsoever.   Zero.    You show me one person who you say is blindly following the imposed rules of the government and I will at least match you with one or more people who blindly denounce the imposed rules of the government.    That line of reasoning works both ways matey.

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Think of all the teenagers and those in their early 20s who stay with parents who will fall into the higher risk 50+ group.

True, you would need to obviously focus it on those not living with others who are at risk, but surely it would generate a stronger economy, keep people in jobs and result in increased tax revenue to support those who couldn't work by extending furlough on a much smaller scale.

It's probably very hard practically and of course there are some serious moral considerations too.

It's just my concern that the current approach seems to just be let's hope it goes away whilst businesses and jobs are being lost daily, the end result of which will be economic ruin for the country and in turn all citizens. What is the endgame? There must surely come a point where it becomes apparent most people have a very small risk of serious illness from this and we have to get them back at it so we can find the support for those who are at risk.

I don't think I'm in favour of it but just trying to see whether it could work whilst still preventing serious illness and death; also trying to move the discussion away from arguing...I've done enough of that on this thread. 

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Cool. Hope you get through with your approach, along with everyone else on here. 

I agree that ‘mindless’ criticism of government reaction to events is unwelcome. As I hope you do with mindless hyperbole about sickening and disgusting people having different views on making the most of their lives in a time of uncertainty and fear mongering. 

Matey. 

Well said 

Just now, jonesy said:

Cool. Hope you get through with your approach, along with everyone else on here. 

I agree that ‘mindless’ criticism of government reaction to events is unwelcome. As I hope you do with mindless hyperbole about sickening and disgusting people having different views on making the most of their lives in a time of uncertainty and fear mongering. 

Matey. 

The hyperbole matches the genuine anger that these attitudes bring out.   Irresponsible ignorance is not immune from being called out.   It should not be conflated with an acceptance of basic opinion.   

I think I'll continue to call out the mindless ignorance of others.    Especially when their ignorance,  with similar ignorance from others,   stands to threaten our prospects going forward.

Weakened Offender
1 hour ago, Fun Boaby said:

At the start of this it was refreshing to see politicians put people at the heart of what they were doing rather than party strategy.

Did the UK Government's Prime Minister put people at the heart of what they were doing when he encouraged people to shake hands with strangers and then take the consequences on the chin? 

You take 5 minutes out, crack on and rewrite history in your head pal but, in the real world, people remember how much of a circus act they've been. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True, you would need to obviously focus it on those not living with others who are at risk, but surely it would generate a stronger economy, keep people in jobs and result in increased tax revenue to support those who couldn't work by extending furlough on a much smaller scale.

It's probably very hard practically and of course there are some serious moral considerations too.

It's just my concern that the current approach seems to just be let's hope it goes away whilst businesses and jobs are being lost daily, the end result of which will be economic ruin for the country and in turn all citizens. What is the endgame? There must surely come a point where it becomes apparent most people have a very small risk of serious illness from this and we have to get them back at it so we can find the support for those who are at risk.

I don't think I'm in favour of it but just trying to see whether it could work whilst still preventing serious illness and death; also trying to move the discussion away from arguing...I've done enough of that on this thread. 

Great measured and  conciliatory posting.  

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The hyperbole matches the genuine anger that these attitudes bring out.   Irresponsible ignorance is not immune from being called out.   It should not be conflated with an acceptance of basic opinion.   

I think I'll continue to call out the mindless ignorance of others.    Especially when their ignorance,  with similar ignorance from others,   stands to threaten our prospects going forward.

So condescending..

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

It’s an interesting angle. Surely the moral side makes it a non-starter, however. I’d be pretty peeved if I were lumped into a shielding group based on age, for example. 

Definitely agree that there needs to be some creative, possibly unpopular thinking to even begin to visualise an endgame, far less start moving towards it. In some ways totalitarian-led countries have the advantage here. 

Yeh people would be furious. Hopefully there is a much better solution found.

If there isn't, the economy could really collapse  I already feel like there's no point in working to an extent that generates disposable income as the disposable income is no longer fun to spend. Meals out aren't great, nice clothes are pointless, nights out don't exist and holidays are a nightmare currently. If this kept up I'd be happy enough to just earn enough to pay my mortgage and put food on my table...if that became wide spread suddenly tax revenue falls off a cliff. Of course many aren't so lucky and are now in a position where they're desperate to just earn enough to keep their head above water, which is really depressing.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Taffin said:

Yeh people would be furious. Hopefully there is a much better solution found.

If there isn't, the economy could really collapse  I already feel like there's no point in working to an extent that generates disposable income as the disposable income is no longer fun to spend. Meals out aren't great, nice clothes are pointless, nights out don't exist and holidays are a nightmare currently. If this kept up I'd be happy enough to just earn enough to pay my mortgage and put food on my table...if that became wide spread suddenly tax revenue falls off a cliff. Of course many aren't so lucky and are now in a position where they're desperate to just earn enough to keep their head above water, which is really depressing.

yep just imagine the poor sods who lost their jobs during the pandemic....and are now on UC....their mental health must be in tatters...and unfortunately unemployment will rise and rise with no hope of any new jobs to fill the void..

Said months ago this was going to be a nightmare coming out of this.Nobody can do anything right it seems and it just becomes a blame game of dammed if you do dammed if you dont.Try to be positive slammed , be negative slammed.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

yep just imagine the poor sods who lost their jobs during the pandemic....and are now on UC....their mental health must be in tatters...and unfortunately unemployment will rise and rise with no hope of any new jobs to fill the void..

Yeh, I've been incredibly lucky with furlough and having a great employer in an industry that hasn't been decimated. What some have endured must be awful. Of course that also extends to those who have lost loved ones and the ultimate loss is those who have sadly lost their lives.

It's a right mess we are in, through nobody's fault. I'm as guilty as anyone for having gone tit for tat on this thread but it helps nobody. We need to all pull together and help each other as best we can, but I do feel we're increasingly in need to a direction to pull towards.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Lots of job losses and store closure announced today in the UK.My brother has just been made redundant from his job at Edinburgh Airport after 20 years service. Its going to keep happening and governments have no real idea how to deal with it as i said dammed if they do dammed if they dont.

Reality is starting to bite for a lot of folk jist how shit things are.

20 minutes ago, Weakened Offender said:

Did the UK Government's Prime Minister put people at the heart of what they were doing when he encouraged people to shake hands with strangers and then take the consequences on the chin? 

You take 5 minutes out, crack on and rewrite history in your head pal but, in the real world, people remember how much of a circus act they've been. 

Its hardly re-writing history for goodness sake.   There is no need to be so dramatic.  The point I made was that party politics were put aside at the start (for a greater good) and that was refreshing.  

I also said that mistakes were made by both UK and Scottish Governments. I'd class your example of the handshaking etc as a mistake, just as I would the Nike conference issue in Scotland.

As much as some would like, its simply not as black and white that one Govt is good and the other is bad.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Just watching the daily briefing . Poor workers in pubs etc being kicked in the teeth by the SG due to slight rises in infections . Playing havoc with workers mental health and income . Sickening . And in other news those in ICU down by one to 3 and NO deaths again .

Not being funny mate and apologies if I've got this wrong but are you not the guy who took things to the extreme at the start of all this, washing all your shopping etc? If it was you then it's a bit rich to be criticising people for over reacting now.

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Sorry to hear that it’s having this impact on you. Not sure if it helps, but we’ve just had a great family holiday in the Highlands, so the disposable income was definitely handy!

Holiday aside, I’m working like a dog just now to build up savings for when my industry realises it cannot continue without unsustainable levels of government support. Hopefully get through to next year and then things will pick up. Hope is important!

Thank you, but no need to apologise, I'm pretty positive still at the moment. I'm working hard, counting my blessings that I still have a job and saving in the hope better times are around the corner but the thought has increasingly entered my mind that life's old luxuries are increasingly diminished...maybe for the better though, everything I listed is very materialistic. Maybe it's a good thing that fancy clothes, expensive meals and nights out lose their value. I've certainly found an increased appreciation of walking and watching the sunset, swimming in the sea and cooking good meals at home. Sadly those things don't really help the economy, support jobs or raise tax money for those whom state support helps. 

Keep grafting and glad you had a good holiday. Hope your next one isn't too far off and that your industry picks up 👍

Edited by Taffin

Lets hope Aberdeen is just lockdown for 7 days and it leads to an example of how to deal with cluster spikes if they happen in any of our other areas.

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

Not being funny mate and apologies if I've got this wrong but are you not the guy who took things to the extreme at the start of all this, washing all your shopping etc? If it was you then it's a bit rich to be criticising people for over reacting now.

Boom! 

Screenshot_20200805-163704.png

Just now, Lord BJ said:

Sorry to hear that. The economic fall out will be horrific and cause untold misery. Furlough ending will bring home realities.

I am beginning to think the Swedes maybe ain’t so daft. There is going to have to be a balance struck at some point. I’m becoming less convinced we can control this spread/infection of this thing but that leads to a not so great conclusion.  

I certainly think that lockdowns needs to be a bit more targeted. The mechanics would be difficult and controversial but we will need to figure something out as lockdown isn’t feasible in the long run. 

My hope for a long time and continues to be now is that the virus is weakening.Yes infection will keep happening but I keep hoping said infections dont lead to how it was before lockdown.Vaccines for us normal folk are still a long way off.I will keep being sensible in my own mind but im not going to have a go at anyone else for doing what they need to do to get through things in life now.

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

"Yeah just been to local sainsbury and got a load of foods.  I get home take the gloves off and carefully take the mask off  from behind the ears... then  i fill my sink with washing up liquid and some bleach then wipe down most of the food packages which are plastic plus tins bottles etc.  Leave them to dry then put them away. Seems to have worked so far for me but it is a bit of a carry on..."

Yes guilty are charged with that posting. Im flattered and in some ways freaked out your recall it.  However it has backfired on you as it evidences how much I've moved on mentally since then.  Yes like most at the beginning of the pandemic was shitting myself,  I was worried i would die, my family would and other loved ones.  Therefore i became very anxious , probably over anxious and read too much online about the certain  " mortality " of the CV.  However through the months I've became more relaxed and educated myself more about the virus and read tons of info online via this , twitter and other forums.  In interpreting this I have made my own risk assessments and now I am far more happier and relaxed about the whole pandemic. I am out and about.  I recently went to Glasgow for a day and night out. Been on buses , indoor and outdoor pubs and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and the good times with friends.Something i didn't have cooped up for months..  I was invited to Derry for a weekend but declined that due to being on a plane ( not ready for that yet ) .    LIke i said before the stats ( the important ones ie hospital admissions and deaths) are going down. I'm MORE anxious about a return to a full lockdown than the virus in fact.  AT the present time i feel like i'm living again. I make no apolgies for that. 

That's fair enough (I'm just catching up on the thread) but you need to lay off criticising folk just because they're not at the same stage as you. 👍

2 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I’m don’t see how it can be for 7 days, I would have thought 14 as a bare minimum considering the incubation period etc.

Just going by what she said mate.Again hope from myself.

I just keep thinking to myself there must be a real risk that governments are taking the measures they are.Cause no way they want the economy to keep tanking and keep seeing the job losses.

Thats my thought process anyway.

34 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

So condescending..

Seriously don't give a ****.   To be honest I think you're a bit creepy the way you sidle around looking for allies and validation of your ignorant ramblings.

Skin crawling a bit now so it's ignore function for you.

10 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I just keep thinking to myself there must be a real risk that governments are taking the measures they are.Cause no way they want the economy to keep tanking and keep seeing the job losses.

Thats my thought process anyway.

Pretty sure you are right. Had my doubts about the Scottish government at the start of this but Sturgeon is desperate to keep a lid on it. Nips my head that punters can’t follow the rules and guidelines tbh. It’s not as if they’re difficult. 

JudyJudyJudy
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

yes it was me and i've just saw your other response above...nothing wrong with changing one's way of thinking about things....thats what happened with me 

Edited by JamesM48

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, Victorian said:

I think you take this forum way too seriously :lol:

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Scroll back a few pages...that's been done and dusted...

Like I said in my previous post, I'm playing catch up. Apologies again.

JudyJudyJudy
35 minutes ago, graygo said:

Boom! 

Screenshot_20200805-163704.png

Yeah PInilla bet you to it......old news now  lol

Edited by JamesM48

JudyJudyJudy
39 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Yeh, I've been incredibly lucky with furlough and having a great employer in an industry that hasn't been decimated. What some have endured must be awful. Of course that also extends to those who have lost loved ones and the ultimate loss is those who have sadly lost their lives.

It's a right mess we are in, through nobody's fault. I'm as guilty as anyone for having gone tit for tat on this thread but it helps nobody. We need to all pull together and help each other as best we can, but I do feel we're increasingly in need to a direction to pull towards.

Yes the effects of losing ones job can have a devastating effect .  Im in a profession  were i wont be losing my job anytime soon. In fact i'll be needed more than ever now.   

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Lots of job losses and store closure announced today in the UK.My brother has just been made redundant from his job at Edinburgh Airport after 20 years service. Its going to keep happening and governments have no real idea how to deal with it as i said dammed if they do dammed if they dont.

Reality is starting to bite for a lot of folk jist how shit things are.

Sadly its going to get much worse. Nightmare really for many people. 

JudyJudyJudy
21 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seriously don't give a ****.   To be honest I think you're a bit creepy the way you sidle around looking for allies and validation of your ignorant ramblings.

Skin crawling a bit now so it's ignore function for you.

Result , cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen...

JudyJudyJudy
8 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think you take this forum way too seriously :lol:

Tell me . Apparently i'm blocked because by him due to having a different perspective about today's events....?  We are in a democracy are we not? We all allowed to have different views / opinions...? He actually was the one who began insulting me etc and I have just ignored it mainly.  

Nucky Thompson
23 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Tell me . Apparently i'm blocked because by him due to having a different perspective about today's events....?  We are in a democracy are we not? We all allowed to have different views / opinions...? He actually was the one who began insulting me etc and I have just ignored it mainly.  

Folk who threaten other posters that they are going to put them on ignore like it's some harsh punishment, well it's fecking side splitting :rofl:

It reminds me of bairns putting their fingers in their ears and going la la la la because they don't like what their older sibling is saying to them

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Folk who threaten other posters that they are going to put them on ignore like it's some harsh punishment, well it's fecking side splitting :rofl:

It reminds me of bairns putting their fingers in their ears and going la la la la because they don't like what their older sibling is saying to them

:Shoosh:

JudyJudyJudy
13 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

So true 

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yeah PInilla bet you to it......old news now  lol

No it isn't, ya fecking hypocrite. From total shite bag to fecking Gallus. 

Let's see how brave you are, if a real second wave does hit. I was hoping we'd conquered the virus, but I'll take the second wave just see you piss yer pants. 

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Let's see how brave you are, if a real second wave does hit. I was hoping we'd conquered the virus, but I'll take the second wave just see you piss yer pants. 

He’s been brainwashed by Enzo Chief and Walter Bishop.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

You might have a long wait, sad to see you would be happy with a second wave just to prove a point on a forum...now thats sad

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

He’s been brainwashed by Enzo Chief and Walter Bishop.

LOL radicalised ? Im old enough to do my own thinking 

davemclaren
Just now, JamesM48 said:

You might have a long wait, sad to see you would be happy with a second wave just to prove a point on a forum...now thats sad

It’s certainly a bit drastic just to prove you wrong. 🤔

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, JamesM48 said:

LOL radicalised ? Im old enough to do my own thinking 

Earlier on this thread you appeared tho be your own person but recently you seemed to have changed quite a bit.

That’s your perogative.

Best wishes.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic