Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Weakened Offender
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Whatever turns you on mate.

I never had the hots for Jimmy Krankie growing up, Ian Krankie was probably more attractive :D

Nicola-Sturgeon-scotland-963772.jpg

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Internet
48 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm sure classy Nicola was gloating when Jo Swinson lost her seat to the SNP :lol:

The Nicola cult are fecking scary, unhealthy even

Both sides are just as weird as each other when it comes to sturgeon. Politics is so poisonous tbf, you have to commit to being on one side and hate everything about the other one regardless. Just no middle ground. 

57 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm sure classy Nicola was gloating when Jo Swinson lost her seat to the SNP :lol:

Oh aye. Hell mend her for celebrating when a member of her own party won a seat. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Probably, but hopefully they can implement the ones that were due yesterday.

There was meant to be fans at the snooker and 5k were meant to be at Glorious Goodwood yesterday

I think Boris realises those things are just not right with outbreaks down south and are now a few stages further away.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

She's a total ledge and a bit of a hottie. 😍

Far too far.

1 hour ago, Weakened Offender said:

Jo Swinson was a rancid, disgusting boot so any gloating in that instance was perfectly justified. 😎

She annoyed me but again far too far.

Get a grip 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Swinson is a nasty two faced conniving boot so she it wasn’t just Nicky who was happy when she got booted out at the last election 

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Swinson is a nasty two faced conniving boot so she it wasn’t just Nicky who was happy when she got booted out at the last election 

Cracking chebs mind👍

Weakened Offender
4 minutes ago, jake said:

Far too far.

She annoyed me but again far too far.

Get a grip 

Thanks for sharing your 'thoughts' on my posts, Jake 😊

davemclaren
49 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Both sides are just as weird as each other when it comes to sturgeon. Politics is so poisonous tbf, you have to commit to being on one side and hate everything about the other one regardless. Just no middle ground. 

Seems to be the way these days. 

The Internet
18 minutes ago, Tott said:

Havent been following the snooker.

But sure i saw spectators watching a game the other day.

They had 100 or so fans in as a pilot for getting crowds back to sporting events but it was called off on the day. No fans allowed now. 

Weakened Offender
55 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

My side isn't weird in the slightest however I do agree that the Yoons are poisonous weirdos. 

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

They had 100 or so fans in as a pilot for getting crowds back to sporting events but it was called off on the day. No fans allowed now. 

Seemed well spaced out and had masks on,  safer than yer local tesco's.

Like todays  Harrogate v notts county  banarama trophy final at wembley.

Could easily let a few thousand into watch the game...easy to enforce social distancing  in a massive stadium..

But naw ,lets just allow thousands to cram into england south coast beaches with not  a word said..

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, gjcc said:

Oh aye. Hell mend her for celebrating when a member of her own party won a seat. :lol: 

Indeed. But I was just quoting someone who said Nicola was too classy to gloat 

Walter Bishop

Households the biggest issue in relation to a resurgence in Switzerland. Wont be long until we are wearing masks in the house.  

The Internet
3 minutes ago, Tott said:

Seemed well spaced out and had masks on,  safer than yer local tesco's.

Like todays  Harrogate v notts county  banarama trophy final at wembley.

Could easily let a few thousand into watch the game...easy to enforce social distancing  in a massive stadium..

But naw ,lets just allow thousands to cram into england south coast beaches with not  a word said..

seemed a real panic decision to abandon the crowds thing. Clearly no warning for the snooker anyway as there were crowds in as the announcement was made :lol: 

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

seemed a real panic decision to abandon the crowds thing. Clearly no warning for the snooker anyway as there were crowds in as the announcement was made :lol: 

I think it was more to do with brining in restrictions to Northern England on the weekend of Eid celebrations.

How bad would it have looked if loads of punters were turning up to snooker and racing while a religious festival was basically banned 

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I loved her Weegie Girn on Referendum night though NT. Although she was applauding like a seal as the core Glesga vote came through, all but 3 of the council areas had already sealed her fate. Only matched by the photo of 4 chins Salmond in the back of his limo😂

9 hours ago, Weakened Offender said:

The same media who savage her at any opportunity? That media? 

Why it trouble you so much? The country went through a terrible few months. People were desperate for some hope. They have it now. If you don't like the fact the FM tells the country that the virus is being suppressed and that noone is dying then don't watch the briefings. 

It's really that simple. 😊

I agree and she always points out that we need to keep on top of the virus and not get complacent. 

If the daily briefings were to stop, people would just assume everything's back to normal and before we know it cases would creep back up. 

Dont know what they are doing in England but if the PM isn't fronting up daily briefings he's not doing his job. 

8 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Social distancing is important. Anyone who fails to adhere to the 2m distancing is potentially putting others at risk. Not acceptable 

Look I know you get stick but you are right. 

People are getting complacent and that's why the FM needs to continue hammering home the message in her daily briefings. 

Another thing how unjust would it be locking down over 50s when for the most part this age group sticks to the rules, then the youngsters get to go about fighting and fornicating 😅

It's just not fair 😞

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Look I know you get stick but you are right. 

People are getting complacent and that's why the FM needs to continue hammering home the message in her daily briefings. 

Another thing how unjust would it be locking down over 50s when for the most part this age group sticks to the rules, then the youngsters get to go about fighting and fornicating 😅

It's just not fair 😞

Agreed 

those who don’t adhere to it are selfish twits 

there are numerous cases on social media of people taking photos together and they stand next to each other - this is clearly not 2m

A coronavirus vaccine won’t change the world right away

In the public imagination, the arrival of a coronavirus vaccine looms large: It’s the neat Hollywood ending to the grim and agonizing uncertainty of everyday life in a pandemic.

But public health experts are discussing among themselves a new worry: that hopes for a vaccine may be soaring too high. The confident depiction by politicians and companies that a vaccine is imminent and inevitable may give people unrealistic beliefs about how soon the world can return to normal — and even spark resistance to simple strategies that can tamp down transmission and save lives in the short term.

Two coronavirus vaccines entered the final stages of human testing last week, a scientific speed record that prompted top government health officials to utter words such as “historic” and “astounding.” Pharmaceutical executives predicted to Congress in July that vaccines might be available as soon as October, or before the end of the year.

As the plotline advances, so do expectations: If people can just muddle through a few more months, the vaccine will land, the pandemic will end and everyone can throw their masks away.

But best-case scenarios have failed to materialize throughout the pandemic, and experts — who believe wholeheartedly in the power of vaccines — foresee a long path ahead.

“It seems, to me, unlikely that a vaccine is an off-switch or a reset button where we will go back to pre-pandemic times,” said Yonatan Grad, an assistant professor of infectious diseases and immunology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Or, as Columbia University virologist Angela Rasmussen puts it, “It’s not like we’re going to land in Oz.”

The declaration that a vaccine has been shown safe and effective will be a beginning, not the end. Deploying the vaccine to people in the United States and around the world will test and strain distribution networks, the supply chain, public trust and global cooperation.

It will take months or, more likely, years to reach enough people to make the world safe.

For those who do get a vaccine as soon as shots become available, protection won’t be immediate — it takes weeks for the immune system to call up full platoons of disease-fighting antibodies. And many vaccine technologies will require a second shot weeks after the first to raise immune defenses.

Immunity could be short-lived or partial, requiring repeated boosters that strain the vaccine supply or require people to keep social distancing and wearing masks even after they’ve received their shots.

And if a vaccine works less well for some groups of people, if swaths of the population are reluctant to get a vaccine or if there isn’t enough to go around, some people will still get sick even after scientists declare victory on a vaccine — which could help foster a false impression it doesn’t work.

A proven vaccine will profoundly change the relationship the world has with the novel coronavirus and is how many experts believe the pandemic will end. In popular conception, a vaccine is regarded as a silver bullet.

But the truth — especially with the earliest vaccines — is likely to be far more nuanced. Public health experts fear that could lead to disappointment and erode the already delicate trust essential to making the effort to vanquish the virus succeed.

The drive to develop vaccines is frequently characterized as a race, with one country or company in the lead. The race metaphor suggests that what matters is who reaches the finish line first. But first across the line isn’t necessarily the best — and it almost certainly isn’t the end of the race, which could go on for years.

“The realistic scenario is probably going to be more like what we saw with HIV/AIDS,” said Michael S. Kinch, an expert in drug development and research at Washington University in St. Louis. “With HIV, we had a first generation of, looking back now, fairly mediocre drugs.

I am afraid — and people don’t like to hear this, but I’m kind of constantly preaching it — we have to prepare ourselves for the idea we do not have a very good vaccine. My guess is the first generation of vaccines may be mediocre.”

Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testified Friday before Congress that he is “cautiously optimistic” that a 30,000-person, Phase 3 clinical trial just getting underway will yield an effective vaccine. But there has been little talk about how to think about failures, even though those are an inevitable part of science.

“What happens if any of them fail a Phase 3 trial — are people just going to give up? Is it going to be like entering Dante’s inferno?” Columbia’s Rasmussen said. “I’m really worried people have been relying on this hope that a vaccine is going to fix everything, and vaccines are not perfect, just like any type of therapeutic. They do fail.”

All approved vaccines must be shown to be safe and effective, but that doesn’t mean they perform the same. The measles vaccine is one of the best — 98 percent effective at preventing disease.

But the flu vaccine clocks in most years at 40 to 60 percent effective. And some vaccines work less well in groups of people — older people, for example, have less robust immune responses and need a special high-dose flu vaccine, or one with an extra ingredient called an adjuvant.

U.S. regulators will require a coronavirus vaccine to be 50 percent effective, and if a shot just barely clears that bar, public education will be required to help communicate how many people need to receive it to establish herd immunity — a threshold at which enough of the population is immune to stop the spread, when the virus is truly tamed.

“If you get a vaccine that just meets the guidelines, the chances are you’re not going to be able to achieve herd immunity,” said Walter Orenstein, associate director of the Emory Vaccine Center.

“You tamp down transmission, substantially. It decreases your risk of getting exposed, but it doesn’t eliminate it. But a 50 percent effective vaccine is a lot better than zero percent effective vaccine. I would take it.”

Even the word “effective” will be parsed by experts and may need to be carefully explained. The goal is for a vaccine to prevent infections altogether. But that’s not the only definition of a successful vaccine, which could also include shots that reduce the severity of symptoms people experience. Ideally, a vaccine would do both. But what happens in real life will influence decisions about who should get the vaccine first.

“We talk about making something work, and public health is very much about the public,” said Natalie E. Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “You can make something work perfectly in the lab; it’s a whole other thing to make it work out in the community.”

A vaccine that mainly lessens the severity of disease might be directed at older people and others at greatest risk for the worst outcomes. One that prevents infections well, but perhaps doesn’t work as much in older people, might be directed to the younger population to try to protect older people.

The effectiveness of the vaccine also influences how many people need to get it to reach herd immunity.

Paul A. Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, ran through one back-of-the-envelope scenario with an optimistic outcome: Say a vaccine is 75 percent effective at preventing people from shedding the virus and passing it on.

Vaccinating even some people will slow the spread, with the biggest effects emerging if the first doses are channeled to the right people. But he estimated it would be necessary to vaccinate two-thirds of the population to reach herd immunity.

“If you’re talking about throwing arms around each other, sitting with 67,000 people at a Philadelphia Eagles game, I’d imagine that would take a couple years,” Offit said.

‘A rollout, not a thunderclap’

The coronavirus descended quickly, altering daily life in unimaginable ways practically overnight. People’s social circles shrank to their household contacts. Schools closed. Even the Earth stopped vibrating as much. Impatient for the pandemic to lift its heavy weight off the world, all eyes have turned to the vaccine.

“I think everybody’s so sick of this pandemic and this damn virus they’re really looking to the vaccine as a savior,” said Mark Mulligan, director of the New York University Langone Vaccine Center.

Mulligan said he believes people should view vaccines in much the same way they have regarded reopening — as something that must occur in gradual phases to be safe and could even double back on itself as we learn more.

Governments and companies are investing billions of dollars to ramp up the vaccine supply now, but even so, it won’t be possible to vaccinate everyone in the first week or even the first month after the first vaccine becomes available. The world will become safer, bit by bit, not all at once.

“The vaccine is going to be a rollout, not a thunderclap,” said Andrew Noymer, an epidemiologist at the University of California at Irvine.

And failures that have snarled testing capability — including distribution challenges and making sure the supply chain of basic ingredients is robust — are a huge risk.

Public communication will have to be nuanced, with leaders setting responsible examples. President Trump, able to take advantage of daily testing with rapid turnaround times, did not model until recently the precautions that public health experts said the rest of the nation must take, helping sow confusion on masks.

Sports stars and celebrities have appeared to have easier access to testing than the masses throughout the pandemic. If such inequalities occur with vaccines, it may give people false confidence about what is safe.

“What happens when politicians get prioritized [for a vaccine] … there’s the projection of invincibility and others who are not vaccinated let their guard down,” said Saad B. Omer, director of the Yale Institute for Global Health. “That has happened for testing and masks. It’s not a fantasy, and we’re not prepared for that.”

The quest for a vaccine has persuaded many scientists that success is possible. But if the promise of a vaccine dangles like a get-out-of-jail-free card, it’s possible the world doesn’t do enough to build out all the other tools — treatments, testing, contact tracing — needed to get back to normal.

“There’s a very myopic focus on this one little part of outbreak response, the research and development,” Dean, of the University of Florida, said. “Then, we neglect the stuff that’s a little less exciting, but probably more immediately impactful and in the long run is going to be really important, as well in terms of feeling confident that we’ll be safe.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/02/covid-vaccine/

The Internet
8 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I think it was more to do with brining in restrictions to Northern England on the weekend of Eid celebrations.

How bad would it have looked if loads of punters were turning up to snooker and racing while a religious festival was basically banned 

Pesky muslims spoiling everything eh. 

Seriously though I really doubt that has much to do with it. 

Walter Bishop
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

A coronavirus vaccine won’t change the world right away

In the public imagination, the arrival of a coronavirus vaccine looms large: It’s the neat Hollywood ending to the grim and agonizing uncertainty of everyday life in a pandemic.

But public health experts are discussing among themselves a new worry: that hopes for a vaccine may be soaring too high. The confident depiction by politicians and companies that a vaccine is imminent and inevitable may give people unrealistic beliefs about how soon the world can return to normal — and even spark resistance to simple strategies that can tamp down transmission and save lives in the short term.

Two coronavirus vaccines entered the final stages of human testing last week, a scientific speed record that prompted top government health officials to utter words such as “historic” and “astounding.” Pharmaceutical executives predicted to Congress in July that vaccines might be available as soon as October, or before the end of the year.

As the plotline advances, so do expectations: If people can just muddle through a few more months, the vaccine will land, the pandemic will end and everyone can throw their masks away.

But best-case scenarios have failed to materialize throughout the pandemic, and experts — who believe wholeheartedly in the power of vaccines — foresee a long path ahead.

“It seems, to me, unlikely that a vaccine is an off-switch or a reset button where we will go back to pre-pandemic times,” said Yonatan Grad, an assistant professor of infectious diseases and immunology at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Or, as Columbia University virologist Angela Rasmussen puts it, “It’s not like we’re going to land in Oz.”

The declaration that a vaccine has been shown safe and effective will be a beginning, not the end. Deploying the vaccine to people in the United States and around the world will test and strain distribution networks, the supply chain, public trust and global cooperation.

It will take months or, more likely, years to reach enough people to make the world safe.

For those who do get a vaccine as soon as shots become available, protection won’t be immediate — it takes weeks for the immune system to call up full platoons of disease-fighting antibodies. And many vaccine technologies will require a second shot weeks after the first to raise immune defenses.

Immunity could be short-lived or partial, requiring repeated boosters that strain the vaccine supply or require people to keep social distancing and wearing masks even after they’ve received their shots.

And if a vaccine works less well for some groups of people, if swaths of the population are reluctant to get a vaccine or if there isn’t enough to go around, some people will still get sick even after scientists declare victory on a vaccine — which could help foster a false impression it doesn’t work.

A proven vaccine will profoundly change the relationship the world has with the novel coronavirus and is how many experts believe the pandemic will end. In popular conception, a vaccine is regarded as a silver bullet.

But the truth — especially with the earliest vaccines — is likely to be far more nuanced. Public health experts fear that could lead to disappointment and erode the already delicate trust essential to making the effort to vanquish the virus succeed.

The drive to develop vaccines is frequently characterized as a race, with one country or company in the lead. The race metaphor suggests that what matters is who reaches the finish line first. But first across the line isn’t necessarily the best — and it almost certainly isn’t the end of the race, which could go on for years.

“The realistic scenario is probably going to be more like what we saw with HIV/AIDS,” said Michael S. Kinch, an expert in drug development and research at Washington University in St. Louis. “With HIV, we had a first generation of, looking back now, fairly mediocre drugs.

I am afraid — and people don’t like to hear this, but I’m kind of constantly preaching it — we have to prepare ourselves for the idea we do not have a very good vaccine. My guess is the first generation of vaccines may be mediocre.”

Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, testified Friday before Congress that he is “cautiously optimistic” that a 30,000-person, Phase 3 clinical trial just getting underway will yield an effective vaccine. But there has been little talk about how to think about failures, even though those are an inevitable part of science.

“What happens if any of them fail a Phase 3 trial — are people just going to give up? Is it going to be like entering Dante’s inferno?” Columbia’s Rasmussen said. “I’m really worried people have been relying on this hope that a vaccine is going to fix everything, and vaccines are not perfect, just like any type of therapeutic. They do fail.”

All approved vaccines must be shown to be safe and effective, but that doesn’t mean they perform the same. The measles vaccine is one of the best — 98 percent effective at preventing disease.

But the flu vaccine clocks in most years at 40 to 60 percent effective. And some vaccines work less well in groups of people — older people, for example, have less robust immune responses and need a special high-dose flu vaccine, or one with an extra ingredient called an adjuvant.

U.S. regulators will require a coronavirus vaccine to be 50 percent effective, and if a shot just barely clears that bar, public education will be required to help communicate how many people need to receive it to establish herd immunity — a threshold at which enough of the population is immune to stop the spread, when the virus is truly tamed.

“If you get a vaccine that just meets the guidelines, the chances are you’re not going to be able to achieve herd immunity,” said Walter Orenstein, associate director of the Emory Vaccine Center.

“You tamp down transmission, substantially. It decreases your risk of getting exposed, but it doesn’t eliminate it. But a 50 percent effective vaccine is a lot better than zero percent effective vaccine. I would take it.”

Even the word “effective” will be parsed by experts and may need to be carefully explained. The goal is for a vaccine to prevent infections altogether. But that’s not the only definition of a successful vaccine, which could also include shots that reduce the severity of symptoms people experience. Ideally, a vaccine would do both. But what happens in real life will influence decisions about who should get the vaccine first.

“We talk about making something work, and public health is very much about the public,” said Natalie E. Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “You can make something work perfectly in the lab; it’s a whole other thing to make it work out in the community.”

A vaccine that mainly lessens the severity of disease might be directed at older people and others at greatest risk for the worst outcomes. One that prevents infections well, but perhaps doesn’t work as much in older people, might be directed to the younger population to try to protect older people.

The effectiveness of the vaccine also influences how many people need to get it to reach herd immunity.

Paul A. Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, ran through one back-of-the-envelope scenario with an optimistic outcome: Say a vaccine is 75 percent effective at preventing people from shedding the virus and passing it on.

Vaccinating even some people will slow the spread, with the biggest effects emerging if the first doses are channeled to the right people. But he estimated it would be necessary to vaccinate two-thirds of the population to reach herd immunity.

“If you’re talking about throwing arms around each other, sitting with 67,000 people at a Philadelphia Eagles game, I’d imagine that would take a couple years,” Offit said.

‘A rollout, not a thunderclap’

The coronavirus descended quickly, altering daily life in unimaginable ways practically overnight. People’s social circles shrank to their household contacts. Schools closed. Even the Earth stopped vibrating as much. Impatient for the pandemic to lift its heavy weight off the world, all eyes have turned to the vaccine.

“I think everybody’s so sick of this pandemic and this damn virus they’re really looking to the vaccine as a savior,” said Mark Mulligan, director of the New York University Langone Vaccine Center.

Mulligan said he believes people should view vaccines in much the same way they have regarded reopening — as something that must occur in gradual phases to be safe and could even double back on itself as we learn more.

Governments and companies are investing billions of dollars to ramp up the vaccine supply now, but even so, it won’t be possible to vaccinate everyone in the first week or even the first month after the first vaccine becomes available. The world will become safer, bit by bit, not all at once.

“The vaccine is going to be a rollout, not a thunderclap,” said Andrew Noymer, an epidemiologist at the University of California at Irvine.

And failures that have snarled testing capability — including distribution challenges and making sure the supply chain of basic ingredients is robust — are a huge risk.

Public communication will have to be nuanced, with leaders setting responsible examples. President Trump, able to take advantage of daily testing with rapid turnaround times, did not model until recently the precautions that public health experts said the rest of the nation must take, helping sow confusion on masks.

Sports stars and celebrities have appeared to have easier access to testing than the masses throughout the pandemic. If such inequalities occur with vaccines, it may give people false confidence about what is safe.

“What happens when politicians get prioritized [for a vaccine] … there’s the projection of invincibility and others who are not vaccinated let their guard down,” said Saad B. Omer, director of the Yale Institute for Global Health. “That has happened for testing and masks. It’s not a fantasy, and we’re not prepared for that.”

The quest for a vaccine has persuaded many scientists that success is possible. But if the promise of a vaccine dangles like a get-out-of-jail-free card, it’s possible the world doesn’t do enough to build out all the other tools — treatments, testing, contact tracing — needed to get back to normal.

“There’s a very myopic focus on this one little part of outbreak response, the research and development,” Dean, of the University of Florida, said. “Then, we neglect the stuff that’s a little less exciting, but probably more immediately impactful and in the long run is going to be really important, as well in terms of feeling confident that we’ll be safe.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/02/covid-vaccine/

Still amazes me so many who have been hiding behind couches and masks would happpily take a vaccine rushed through at record speed, skipping safety processes all over the place because they think it will make everything ok again. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

What are the chances of France getting added back to the UK quarantine list?

I've got flights booked for Wednesday morning to go and visit my parents in Nantes but the thought of quarantining for 2 weeks again when I return is causing doubts! Nantes has only had one confirmed case of Covid-19 but if the whole country gets added to the list when I'm already across there, there's not much I can do is there? 

35 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Still amazes me so many who have been hiding behind couches and masks would happpily take a vaccine rushed through at record speed, skipping safety processes all over the place because they think it will make everything ok again. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Tell that to those people shielding since March because they are in the high risk criteria, who can't leave their flat/garden.

Edited by frankblack

19 minutes ago, Dano307 said:

I've got flights booked for Wednesday morning to go and visit my parents in Nantes but the thought of quarantining for 2 weeks again when I return is causing doubts! Nantes has only had one confirmed case of Covid-19 but if the whole country gets added to the list when I'm already across there, there's not much I can do is there? 

I guess you need to look at infection rates and pay attention if there are any lockdowns.

Governor Tarkin
33 minutes ago, Dano307 said:

I used to travel to Nantes regularly for work. Lovely city.

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Pesky muslims spoiling everything eh. 

Seriously though I really doubt that has much to do with it. 

I'm not so sure, I was listening to one of the SAGE guys in the car on Friday night and a few others during the drive and they were adamant that the mini-lockdowns in the North were due to spread amongst/within multi-generational households whilst also reiterating that going to work at an office that was a 'covid-safe' environment didn't pose much risk as long as the rules were followed. If you are safe at a large office that's been made Covid-safe then surely you're safe at a sporting even that's been made Covid-safe? They're being economical with the truth somewhere there.

Edited by Taffin

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Tell that to those people shielding since March because they are in the high risk criteria, who can't leave their flat/garden.

This.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Lord BJ said:

UK to introduce a 90min COVID test. No requirement for nasal swabbing and result back in 90min. Obviously has a lot of advantages. 

Sognapore are electronically tagging people to enforce the quarantine. 

The last sentence is a good idea.

Weakened Offender
10 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sun Reader Alert! 

2 hours ago, Dano307 said:

Have a look at cases per million for the country and decide. Here's the latest graph from the FT. I've included a few EU countries for comparison. 

You'll see that France isn't much higher than the UK and so just now I'd say there's not much risk of having to quarantine when coming back. 

However, is does appear to be moving upwards at a faster rate than the UK so who knows what will happen? As long as it doesn't move too far from the UK I think it'll be fine. 

I expect Belgium will be on the list before France.

Screenshot_2020-08-03-10-06-59.jpg

He Who Cannot Be Named
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yes they can, they just choose not to as they have allowed the media to control them.

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

UK to introduce a 90min COVID test. No requirement for nasal swabbing and result back in 90min. Obviously has a lot of advantages. 

Sognapore are electronically tagging people to enforce the quarantine. 

That’s a game changer , the 90 min swab 

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, He Who Cannot Be Named said:

Yes they can, they just choose not to as they have allowed the media to control them.

Correct 

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The last sentence is a good idea.

Nah, disagree. This should never happen in the UK.

The Real Maroonblood
9 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Nah, disagree. This should never happen in the UK.

Wouldn't be enough of them to supply the simpletons. :P

Weakened Offender
13 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Wouldn't be enough of them to supply the simpletons. :P

It would be worth it just to see Enzo And The Loonies have a collective nervous breakdown on this thread 😁

Anyone been through Edinburgh airport recently? I take it it's quieter than normal, security a breeze to get through or is social distancing making it a lengthy process?

Asking for a friend. 😉

JudyJudyJudy
4 hours ago, Dano307 said:

Get yourself on holiday and worry about the quarantine if it happens when it happens 

15 minutes ago, graygo said:

Anyone been through Edinburgh airport recently? I take it it's quieter than normal, security a breeze to get through or is social distancing making it a lengthy process?

Asking for a friend. 😉

Security yesterday at 11.30ish had about 8 people in front of me, so pretty quiet.

12 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Security yesterday at 11.30ish had about 8 people in front of me, so pretty quiet.

Did it still take an hour to get through?

27 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

Cheers. 👍

Zero deaths in Scotland again. 😁

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic