Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Im the one propagating fear and agenda?? 😂😂 Quite the opposite. 

The link in the tweet wasnt working. Regardless of what newspaper it was, it had the same story. 🤷‍♂️👍

I didn't say that, I said that you were ranting and raving like a madman ABOUT blah blah blah 🤷‍♂️👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Vaccines are generally Bill Gates' microchips tbf. Folk are right to be worried.

🤔

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Its those people that are anti-vaccine, anti-facemask etc because it "infringes on their civil liberties" that piss me off.

Is a secret tracking microchip not an infringment on civil liberties?

And masking your face is a back-door exercise in de-humanisation and subjugation. Like what they do to muslim women.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Is a secret tracking microchip not an infringment on civil liberties?

And masking your face is a back-door exercise in de-humanisation and subjugation. Like what they do to muslim women.

Possibly, but apparently the face masks confuse the face recognition software tracking people on CCTV, so there are benefits!

Governor Tarkin
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Possibly, but apparently the face masks confuse the face recognition software tracking people on CCTV, so there are benefits!

Every cloud, frank. 👍

8 hours ago, JackLadd said:

What exactly did Scotland do differently to England on covid, anybody?

Don't think we really done anything different.It's coming out of lockdown that other parts of the UK has done things differently

9 hours ago, OBE said:

Obviously new to business class. Your cattle analogy is frowned upon these days, they're now commonly classed as ballast. Please keep this in mind before you're relegated back to the herd...🐄 🐄🐄🐄

I already have been relegated back 😪. Ryanair to gran canaria was quite a come down. 

jack D and coke
9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

In the beginning probably nothing differently but  latterly done much better as they started to make our own path. 
Little bit of googling brings up plenty articles.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247462-scotland-could-eliminate-the-coronavirus-if-it-werent-for-england/

Walter Bishop
9 hours ago, JackLadd said:

51 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Don't think we really done anything different.It's coming out of lockdown that other parts of the UK has done things differently

Yeah much the same until the easing off started. We went down a more cautious route, mainly on the back of the care home fiasco imo, however i would rather the cautious route than taking shortcuts. 

18 hours ago, Smithee said:

Your opinion doesn't prove anything.

How do you drink a pint through a mask? It would be patently ridiculous, and let's be honest, you'd go tonto if that was the rule.

just point out the hypocrisy which you have failed to address. Of course I would tonto if that was the rule. 

16 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Yeah much the same until the easing off started. We went down a more cautious route, mainly on the back of the care home fiasco imo, however i would rather the cautious route than taking shortcuts. 

So you'd rather the cautious route yet yesterday you were claiming lockdown wasn't needed and the virus isn't as bad as feared and we should've just got on with our lives?

:what:

Walter Bishop
20 minutes ago, kila said:

So you'd rather the cautious route yet yesterday you were claiming lockdown wasn't needed and the virus isn't as bad as feared and we should've just got on with our lives?

:what:

Sorry should have been more specific, rather the cautious route in terms of the care homes and the vulnerable/shielding to avoid another cull. Anyone healthy under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions should be allowed to get on with life. 

21 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This is just my opinion but I would think gyms and pubs would be far more dangerous environments to spread Covid. In gyms, people are panting and breathing heavily, touching equipment with sweaty hands etc...then you have swimming pools, saunas and steam rooms and this sounds like a haven for such a virus. 

Pubs, folk are less likely to practice social distancing due to beIng drunk, breathing heavier and they tend to be smaller, closer areas. 

Imo, I find it completely odd that they can make the face mask rules mandatory for supermarket and public transport but the above venues despite possibly being even more dangerous vectors for the virus re exempt. And you can’t use the excuse that “oh but it isn’t convenient to wear a mask while drinking a pint” well hold on the now, how convenient is it wearing a mask on a scolding hot day on the bus?”

Sorry, but the rule is ****ing pointless and the above just proves that. 

I thought face masks are going to be compulsory in gyms when they re-open?

4 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Sturgeon always clearly announces both figures though. 

Stricter lockdown for longer, different rules in our easing phases, didn't adopt the 'stay alert' message, and advised we should wear masks way back in April. Do you not read the news? 

NS doing virtually every briefing personally as opposed to Tom, Dick and Harry doing the WM one has made a difference imo.

11 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I thought face masks are going to be compulsory in gyms when they re-open?

they aren’t in england

I really don't get the reluctance to wearing a mask. Also can't understand how it's got political, with right wingers saying no and left wingers saying yes. What's politics got to do with it? As for people saying it's a nightmare in the heat, I'm currently sitting in Marmaris, 92 in the shade, and we have to wear a mask everywhere; apart from in a bar or at the pool/beach. Of course it would be nicer not to have to wear one but everyone does

Unknown user
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

just point out the hypocrisy which you have failed to address. Of course I would tonto if that was the rule. 

You see hypocrisy when I see something much less sinister.

Your problem, not mine, I'm buggered if I'm going to try to change your mind.

Certain companies are charging a Covid charge over and above their normal rate. Wife’s hairdresser charging an extra £7 and a driveway company a friend was considering using is charging an extra 10%.  Anybody else heard about this? Seems a bit shit to me but I suppose companies are scrambling to replace lost cash.

Edited by GinRummy

59 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Sorry should have been more specific, rather the cautious route in terms of the care homes and the vulnerable/shielding to avoid another cull. Anyone healthy under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions should be allowed to get on with life. 

22.5% of the UK were older than 60 in 2011.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest#main-facts-and-figures

Add in everyone below 60 with obesity, diabetes, asthma, heart disease, compromised immune systems etc, and that's a decent proportion of the population.

How long do you foresee them being in lockdown?

What happens to them if an effective vaccine isn't found?

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Certain companies are charging a Covid charge over and above their normal rate. Wife’s hairdresser charging an extra £7 and a driveway company a friend was considering using is charging an extra 10%.  Anybody else heard about this? Seems a bit shit to me but I suppose companies are scrambling to replace lost cash.

I can understand why the likes of hairdressers have to factor in a Covid charge they have to provide PPE and carry out extra cleaning to make the premises Covid safe. 
I was in TK Max yesterday and they had stations around the store where alcohol gel, masks etc were available for the customers. 
It’s the way forward now that these things are available. 
Why a drive way company needs to add 10% is beyond me. 

Governor Tarkin
20 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

a driveway company a friend was considering using is charging an extra 10%. 

4 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I would tell the driveway company to **** off personally as outdoor task like that shouldn’t be impacted, 

I know a couple of Irish sounding chaps who'll do the driveway with a pick up truck of tarmac left over from another job.

Good prices.

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I thought that would be the case.Im getting building work done in the Garden and the prices for everything are crazy.Price already agreed so its been coming out the builders pocket but everything has had price added to it.But i had a feeling the price would go up at hairdressers as they have had a lot to fork out in getting ppe and screens etc.

I'd have thought the PPE cost increase would be minimal (masks and sanitiser). Think businesses may find themselves regretting charging increases once others decide to consume the costs. At a time when people have largely got used to not using certain services, the last thing you want to risk is alienating those who are interested in spending with your business 

Weakened Offender
14 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

Works fine, just times out due to being busy. Tweet is from a Sky news correspondent, it`s being reported on Skynews also, so no, as much as you'd like it to be it`s not nonsense. 

If you test positive for covid-19 and recover but are hit by a bus and die 4 weeks later you are included in the covid death figures in England. 

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Vaccines are generally Bill Gates' microchips tbf. Folk are right to be worried.

Nurse! 

Walter Bishop
58 minutes ago, fancy a brew said:

22.5% of the UK were older than 60 in 2011.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/uk-population-by-ethnicity/demographics/age-groups/latest#main-facts-and-figures

Add in everyone below 60 with obesity, diabetes, asthma, heart disease, compromised immune systems etc, and that's a decent proportion of the population.

How long do you foresee them being in lockdown?

What happens to them if an effective vaccine isn't found?

Not for me to answer. It would be up to them. 

What do you suggest, We lock our kids and the younger generation away forever? 

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I know a couple of Irish sounding chaps who'll do the driveway with a pick up truck of tarmac left over from another job.

Good prices.

They also offer to build walls, although they have a tendency to dump the bricks in a pile rather than cementing them together , one on top of the other, in the traditional fashion.  Cheap though.

If PHE have been stupid when collating the death as a result of Covid in  England then it has caused immense damage to the UK economy. Those responsible need brought to book over this. If this is the case it cost us billions. 

Cheers for the answers to companies adding Covid costs to their bills/price list. It’s one of those situations where I think some companies need to pass on increased costs and some are just ripping the piss. Quite complicated I suppose because companies who supply the retailers etc may be the ones taking the piss. 

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

If PHE have been stupid when collating the death as a result of Covid in  England then it has caused immense damage to the UK economy. Those responsible need brought to book over this. If this is the case it cost us billions. 

Watch this, Unbelievable. 

https://unherd.com/thepost/prof-carl-heneghan-can-we-trust-the-covid-19-death-numbers/

Key quotes:

• There was “massive confusion” about different Covid data between England’s health bodies. “Public Health England figures are about double the ONS figures because PHE are reporting anybody who has had a positive Covid death in the past… This will get increasingly confusing as we go into the next Winter because there could be a new outbreak and new deaths while also still reporting on historical deaths… This is a problem for epidemiologists and media… ”
  • Even a “28 period cut-off is still not ideal for accurate death numbers because there is “immediate cause and underlying cause… Immediate cause means you’ve had Covid within 21 days but outside of that, it becomes the underlying cause — something that contributed to your death but wasn’t a direct cause. A 21 day cut-off would be helpful because it gives a clearer understanding of that distinction”
  • “We follow excess deaths which is the most accurate information about what’s going on at that moment, but it can’t tell you what those deaths are caused by” (i.e. people not coming forward with heart attacks etc)
  • “There’s an important distinction between lives lost and life years lost. One of the things we’ll be watching very closely over the next six months is how many people would have actually died in the next six months… That’s where the excess deaths really matter. If we start to see it trend significantly under for the next few months, we’ll start to come forward with information that suggests there was a group of vulnerable people that any respiratory infection would have shortened their life.”
  • “In the media you’ll always hear about catastrophe and the consequences of that. One of the things we notice is that when you don’t hear anything that usually means there’s good news happening. So when Sweden looks worse you hear about it but when it’s not so bad, like now, you never see it in the media.”

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

I can understand why the likes of hairdressers have to factor in a Covid charge they have to provide PPE and carry out extra cleaning to make the premises Covid safe. 
I was in TK Max yesterday and they had stations around the store where alcohol gel, masks etc were available for the customers. 
It’s the way forward now that these things are available. 
Why a drive way company needs to add 10% is beyond me. 

Greed, plain and simple, hope your friend tells them TGTF.

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'd have thought the PPE cost increase would be minimal (masks and sanitiser). Think businesses may find themselves regretting charging increases once others decide to consume the costs. At a time when people have largely got used to not using certain services, the last thing you want to risk is alienating those who are interested in spending with your business 

Wives cousin is a hairdresser and she said it was costing quite a bit to kit out her salon to how the guidelines say it should be.

30 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Cheers for the answers to companies adding Covid costs to their bills/price list. It’s one of those situations where I think some companies need to pass on increased costs and some are just ripping the piss. Quite complicated I suppose because companies who supply the retailers etc may be the ones taking the piss. 

Builders merchant prices are def all higher.

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I wonder why. Transport costs? Temporary renovations to Covid-proof their premises? Low supply to them, creating an increase through supply and demand? Can get quite complicated, making it tricky to know who, if anybody, is profiteering.

Just now, GinRummy said:

I wonder why. Transport costs? Temporary renovations to Covid-proof their premises? Low supply to them, creating an increase through supply and demand? Can get quite complicated, making it tricky to know who, if anybody, is profiteering.

The part in bold is certainly true for some manufacturers and product lines. They're not more expensive across the board though.

18 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Wives cousin is a hairdresser and she said it was costing quite a bit to kit out her salon to how the guidelines say it should be.

Yeh I'm sure there will be instances where it costs a bit more depending on what the business is. Still think passing it on to the customer will prove risky in the medium term though once the initial rush and excitement to use these services again subsides.

Edited by Taffin

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

Not for me to answer. It would be up to them

What do you suggest, We lock our kids and the younger generation away forever? 

You're the person advocating this policy, so it is for you to answer.

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The part in bold is certainly true for some manufacturers and product lines. They're not more expensive across the board though.

👍

Governor Tarkin
32 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Folk are using the time furloughed to do all the wee building projects they've been meaning to do for ages.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Folk are using the time furloughed to do all the wee building projects they've been meaning to do for ages.

I think things are in shorter supply as well though.For instance i sm having to wait a month for my garden slabs to arrive as the merchant needs to wait on them being made.Worth the wait though as to get them local they wanted £920 for 16m2 as opposed to the £330  im getting them for.Sheds are crazy though they are charging more than double the price for some.

I P Knightley
20 hours ago, Frank said:

The seatbelt thing is a very lazy false equivalence. Am I daft, or does the impact of a vehicle collision pose a far greater risk to your safety than potential exposure to a virus so deadly you have to get tested to find out *if you even have it?

My comparison wasn't that wearing a seat belt is like wearing a face mask in any way.

It is to do with the way the population reacts to being asked to change their actions/behaviours based on research and advice which is in the population's best interest. People have resisted both with no good counter argument about why not to change.

At least, that's what I wrote.

I'm absolutely disgusted that a govt. who had previously been underestimating Covid deaths to down play their incompetence, has in fact been overestimating deaths for some other suspicious reason. 

So if covid deaths have been over-counted..........what did the 65,000 excess deaths all die of?

The numbers have been manipulated since the start and nobody has a feckin clue what's going on.

Two anti-mask dudes in a supermarket in the States, when asked to don masks or leave the shop, instead chose to verbally abuse staff.

When the manager arrived, they physically attacked her, repeatedly ramming her with their trolley.

She pepper sprayed them and called the polis.

Anti-mask pricks were trying to claim that their human right to purchase food was being taken away.

All that got taken away was them.

:jjyay:

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Cade said:

Two anti-mask dudes in a supermarket in the States, when asked to don masks or leave the shop, instead chose to verbally abuse staff.

When the manager arrived, they physically attacked her, repeatedly ramming her with their trolley.

She pepper sprayed them and called the polis.

Anti-mask pricks were trying to claim that their human right to purchase food was being taken away.

All that got taken away was them.

:jjyay:

:jj:

Walter Bishop
32 minutes ago, Cade said:

So if covid deaths have been over-counted..........what did the 65,000 excess deaths all die of?

The numbers have been manipulated since the start and nobody has a feckin clue what's going on.

Its not 65,000.

There is no doubt this virus accelerated the deaths of thousands of elderly people and those with underlying conditions. No doubt at all.

Thousands will also have died due lack of proper treatment, lack of proper care, fear of going to hospital, Inability to seek the correct advice and many other things due to the attention given to a disease that in the long run will prove to have been a massive, very costly mistake. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic