Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Whats the chat with this.I dont keep up with things like i did before ?

Sorry. Apparently Hancock doing an emergency briefing at 5 pm. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Emergency measures had to be taken. This included temporary hospitals in Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast, Manchester, Birmingham and London, 20k former staff returning to work, 2500 extra critical care beds, 18700 nursing students and 5500 final year medics joining the workforce. Not to mention the 250k NHS volunteers delivering medicines.

Yes i know that. However they were not needed eventually. I agree lockdown was necessary. Not at all disputing that. It clearly kept deaths down. 

21 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Good point . Seems some people just want to distort stats to suit their own agenda.

I posted the figures as they stand.

There's no evidence that all of the 162 new cases are asymptomatic - now that is distorting stats.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

To anyone off out to the boozer enjoy your day guys 🍻

Thanks.🍺

Embarrassingly I’m kicking the arse out of it.😉

2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Ah hopefully just a warning for something.Surely wont be a total Lockdown unless its another just a City.Still shit for the guys living there.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Thanks.🍺

Embarrassingly I’m kicking the arse out of it.😉

Good stuff.

Just booked a table for a steak dinner tonight. 

Off on a weeks holiday on Saturday.

Absolutely buzzing.

Hopefully next time this happens, we shut all borders immediately. And that means to Ukers abroad anaw. 

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Good stuff.

Absolutely buzzing.

Going anywhere nice, GT? 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Ah hopefully just a warning for something.Surely wont be a total Lockdown unless its another just a City.Still shit for the guys living there.

Saw on the news this morning that the spike in cases across the north of Englandshire is amongst prediminantly south Asians between the ages of 20 and 40. I wonder if this could be down to sections of the community slinging mitigation measures the rubber lug?

Sorry I've not seen any press things for a while. Can someone tell me when the gyms are scheduled to open, please and thanks. 

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Going anywhere nice, GT? 

Aye mate, thanks for asking. 👍

Dunbeath, a wee costal village between Helmsdale and Wick. There's **** all there but the village has a pub. You're only a couple of hours from the north and west coast up there so we're planning on using it as a base for checking out a lot of the stuff we missed when we did the NC 500 a couple of years ago. Weather looking not to bad for Scoland either, but we picked the east coast to stay as it's generally drier with a bit more sunshine and less midges for getting out and about with the wee man.

We've been holidaying predominantly in Scotland the past few years and it's great. The service and facilities are like night and day from a decade or so ago and make for a great experience. I ****ing love this country. :)

Walter Bishop
26 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Emergency measures had to be taken. This included temporary hospitals in Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast, Manchester, Birmingham and London, 20k former staff returning to work, 2500 extra critical care beds, 18700 nursing students and 5500 final year medics joining the workforce. Not to mention the 250k NHS volunteers delivering medicines.

You do understand this was because many existing staff were taken and put into the "frontline" (where they werent required and had to in the end use annual leave) and these extra people filled these places. Many never even worked a day, many of those taken from, for example, midwifery to ICU, were not required. The nursing students and final year medics were all due to begin in hospitals this year all over the country anyway, would you have seen this as an emergency had you know about these figures if covid was not around? 

Edited by Walter Bishop

1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Dunbeath, a wee costal village between Helmsdale and Wick. There's **** all there but the village has a pub. You're only a couple of hours from the north and west coast up there so we're planning on using it as a base for checking out a lot of the stuff we missed when we did the NC 500 a couple of years ago. Weather looking not to bad for Scoland either, but we picked the east coast to stay as it's generally drier with a bit more sunshine and less midges for getting out and about with the wee man.

We've been holidaying predominantly in Scotland the past few years and it's great. The service and facilities are like night and day from a decade or so ago and make for a great experience. I ****ing love this country. :)

Enjoy bud, Enjoy! 

I love it up there. 👍

Walter Bishop
25 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Can`t see anything online about this? 

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Good stuff.

Absolutely buzzing.

👍

Safe journey.

been here before
2 hours ago, Crete said:

Can people please stop throwing masks away in the streets put them in a bin or take them home.

Just pick them up, rinse them through the washing machine and sell them in Gumtree/Ebay.

Sit back and watch the Covid coin roll in.

39 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Saw on the news this morning that the spike in cases across the north of Englandshire is amongst prediminantly south Asians between the ages of 20 and 40. I wonder if this could be down to sections of the community slinging mitigation measures the rubber lug?

In Leicester they reckon it was in spread in textile industry sweatshops 

31 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thats my plan until and has been before the virus until the bairn is around 7 or 8.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

In Leicester they reckon it was in spread in textile industry sweatshops 

Aye, this should be another national scandal.

25 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

Safe journey.

Cheers bud 🙂 👍

davemclaren
14 minutes ago, been here before said:

Just pick them up, rinse them through the washing machine and sell them in Gumtree/Ebay.

Sit back and watch the Covid coin roll in.

😳

davemclaren
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

This is just my opinion but I would think gyms and pubs would be far more dangerous environments to spread Covid. In gyms, people are panting and breathing heavily, touching equipment with sweaty hands etc...then you have swimming pools, saunas and steam rooms and this sounds like a haven for such a virus. 

Pubs, folk are less likely to practice social distancing due to beIng drunk, breathing heavier and they tend to be smaller, closer areas. 

Imo, I find it completely odd that they can make the face mask rules mandatory for supermarket and public transport but the above venues despite possibly being even more dangerous vectors for the virus re exempt. And you can’t use the excuse that “oh but it isn’t convenient to wear a mask while drinking a pint” well hold on the now, how convenient is it wearing a mask on a scolding hot day on the bus?”

Sorry, but the rule is ****ing pointless and the above just proves that. 

How do you drink with a face mask on? 😄

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Don't worry about it, bud.  👍

My big Pal's Mum died at the weekend and it just made me think of my Maw and Da. 

My Maw died on my youngest Boy's 19th birthday, and my Da died just before he was born. If there's a God, his comedy act is fecking awful. The prick:D

Anyway, how's yersel? Did ye enjoy yer beers. I'm going for a carvery efter work the night, unless she changes it til Monday. 🍺

I enjoyed the beers mate, big time :lol: enjoy the carvery and get some beers doon yir neck👌🏼😋

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes how did your day go? Was the pub busy? Socially distance   in place ? 

Had a good laugh mate aye. Seen some lads I haven’t seen for months.  Pub was pretty busy for a Wednesday afternoon lol. Socially distancing I have to admit was basically zero tbh. There was hand cleanser at the door as you went in and other few dispensers around the place and one barmaid had a mask. Nobody else did tho...

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

This is just my opinion but I would think gyms and pubs would be far more dangerous environments to spread Covid. In gyms, people are panting and breathing heavily, touching equipment with sweaty hands etc...then you have swimming pools, saunas and steam rooms and this sounds like a haven for such a virus. 

Pubs, folk are less likely to practice social distancing due to beIng drunk, breathing heavier and they tend to be smaller, closer areas. 

Imo, I find it completely odd that they can make the face mask rules mandatory for supermarket and public transport but the above venues despite possibly being even more dangerous vectors for the virus re exempt. And you can’t use the excuse that “oh but it isn’t convenient to wear a mask while drinking a pint” well hold on the now, how convenient is it wearing a mask on a scolding hot day on the bus?”

It's a best effort I guess. A bit like driving on 3 wheels in a car is better than just 2 front wheels, but there'll be sparks either way.

I think it's also to normalise mask wearing and to be prepared for a second wave this winter just in case. The vaccine trials are sounding promising and maybe infections now really are less severe. But there's still uncertainly over how long we remain immune (some global tests suggest it could be just months) and it's better to plan for the worst this winter than just simply hope for the best.

While we're still in uncharted territory I think it is reasonable to tread lightly and cautiously at first as we unlock and interact.

32 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

A straw?

But for some, that really would be the final...

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, kila said:

A straw?

But for some, that really would be the final...

😄👍

36 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Is the briefing today maybe about the Oxford trials offering double the protection against Covid 19

Among further understandings is the value of T-cells in immunity.

Hopefully the silver lining from this pandemic will be a greater understanding of diseases/viruses in general and how we can fight them. Maybe one day we'll get your yearly super-jab that protects us from everything. Could even safely visit a Leith brothel if one ended that much out of their mind on something.

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I have been in about 5 pubs since they came out of lock down in England. I have yet  to see one drunk person and I have been more socially distanced than I have been anywhere since lock down began. Admittedly I avoid Friday and Saturday night and weekends but then I usually do even in normal times. There is nothing inherently dangerous about pubs. The objections to pubs are I think basically puritan ... like the earlier fuss about  sunbathing when joggers and cyclists were free to pant around parks in packs spewing coronavirus droplets all over the place. 

10 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

A question that ive seen posted elsewhere and has troubled me for the past week or so. 

Screenshot_20200716-150819_Twitter.jpg

Certainly some strange things happening.My work has a box of masks on a table free for everyone just to handle and a small waste bin next to the table to put the mask in which is open and exposed and a lot of the time nearly overflowing.I bring my own

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Certainly some strange things happening.My work has a box of masks on a table free for everyone just to handle and a small waste bin next to the table to put the mask in which is open and exposed and a lot of the time nearly overflowing.I bring my own

I never thought about this, Another issue to " worry" about lol...i tend to put mine in the bucket then i get home. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

I enjoyed the beers mate, big time :lol: enjoy the carvery and get some beers doon yir neck👌🏼😋

Had a good laugh mate aye. Seen some lads I haven’t seen for months.  Pub was pretty busy for a Wednesday afternoon lol. Socially distancing I have to admit was basically zero tbh. There was hand cleanser at the door as you went in and other few dispensers around the place and one barmaid had a mask. Nobody else did tho...

Sounds similar to my experience  at Murrayfield Sports bar !   

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I have been in about 5 pubs since they came out of lock down in England. I have yet  to see one drunk person and I have been more socially distanced than I have been anywhere since lock down began. Admittedly I avoid Friday and Saturday night and weekends but then I usually do even in normal times. There is nothing inherently dangerous about pubs. The objections to pubs are I think basically puritan ... like the earlier fuss about  sunbathing when joggers and cyclists were free to pant around parks in packs spewing coronavirus droplets all over the place. 

That seems a fair assessment.

At the moment I’ve only been in my local and it’s fine.

Mostly visit pubs in the afternoons and during the week.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

Can`t see anything online about this? 

I think i saw it on a post on here? Cant be arsed to scroll back. Sorry. I might be wrong..again !

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

I think i saw it on a post on here? Cant be arsed to scroll back. Sorry. I might be wrong..again !

Someone did post it earlier on but there wasn’t a link.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Your opinion doesn't prove anything.

How do you drink a pint through a mask? It would be patently ridiculous, and let's be honest, you'd go tonto if that was the rule.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I saw a demonstration of this at lunchtime today. You approach the bar and the mask means you can safely lean on the bar and get as close to the bar staff as possible ... maybe you have to for your muffled voice to be heard. You can extend the interaction by asking to sample of what you are ordering thus potentially contaminating an extra glass for the staff to sanitise. To have a sip  you pull down the face mask by grabbing it where it was on your nose and mouth and replacing it each time thus ensuring any of the virus you may have picked up is transferred to the thing you are breathing through.

The token nature of the whole face mask thing is illustrated by the fact there is as far as I have seen no serious public education effort on how to wear the things with the result that I would say 90% are improperly worn and handled.

Jambo 4 Ever
20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

I saw a demonstration of this at lunchtime today. You approach the bar and the mask means you can safely lean on the bar and get as close to the bar staff as possible ... maybe you have to for your muffled voice to be heard. You can extend the interaction by asking to sample of what you are ordering thus potentially contaminating an extra glass for the staff to sanitise. To have a sip  you pull down the face mask by grabbing it where it was on your nose and mouth and replacing it each time thus ensuring any of the virus you may have picked up is transferred to the thing you are breathing through.

The token nature of the whole face mask thing is illustrated by the fact there is as far as I have seen no serious public education effort on how to wear the things with the result that I would say 90% are improperly worn and handled.

What a lot of nonsense 

Francis Albert
Just now, Natural Orders said:

What a lot of nonsense 

Exactly what I saw on the pub at lunchtime  today unless you are calling me a liar. I agree it is nonsense.

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm comparing the attitudes that people had/have towards the two. Being forced to wear seat belts was seen by many to be a diabolical imposition. A lot of the rhetoric around face masks is equally dramatic.

I had a Respro mask to filter pollen when cycling; I know about the discomfort of wearing a mask, especially on a hot day when you're exercising and sweating (and snottering 🤢) heavily. I decided to stop wearing it but the decision was only about me, my health and my comfort. 

I've now got a rather natty cotton face mask, made by a pal. I'd rather not have to wear it but I do because I feel more comfortable when I see others wearing masks in shops, so I return the favour. It needs a wee adjustment so that it doesn't pull my ears out like Plug from the Bash Street Kids.

Get one (or several ) of these retaining clips/straps

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089M7P5DM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Don't miss the Whaligoe steps when you're up there.

42 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I never thought about this, Another issue to " worry" about lol...i tend to put mine in the bucket then i get home. 

I wouldnt worry about it.I just find it strange they have signs for do this do that and then leave things exposed.

Edited by vegas-voss

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Enjoy your break Guv👍. Do your bit to help that village pub increase it's turnover🍺

1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

A question that ive seen posted elsewhere and has troubled me for the past week or so. 

Screenshot_20200716-150819_Twitter.jpg

Because if you shove them in a black bin bag with the rest of your landfill-bound rubbish nobody else is going to come into direct contact with them.

Hospitals have clinical waste bins for such things.

Edited by Ray Gin

JudyJudyJudy
12 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I wouldnt worry about it.I just find it strange they have signs for do this do that and then leave things exposed.

Im not im passed the worrying stage now..well almost. :) Its a valid point you make though.

Edited by JamesM48

Walter Bishop
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Because if you shove them in a black bin bag with the rest of your landfill-bound rubbish nobody else is going to come into direct contact with them.

So what happens at work, shops, transport etc  Do you just carry them about all day and dispose of them when you get home? Bearing in mind disposable masks last 4 hours and gloves should be changed every shop/bus/train you enter. 

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Natural Orders said:

Where will the update be shown?

Live on TV News

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic