Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, kila said:

Accept what? It sounds like you’re saying lockdown was the wrong thing to do. 

We had no choice because the health service was overwhelmed and more would’ve died on trollies in the corridors or in the back of ambulances queuing outside!

It isn’t just the deaths from CV19 but the disruption to hospital services because the thing is so contagious. Even if it is weakening now it doesn’t change how ****ed things were earlier this year. 

Apparently he thinks we should have taken the approach as the USA. It seems to be going so well for them over there.

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I do love overnight deaths. My favourite kind.

I have no doubt, you give the impression the highlight of your day is the announcement of the daily figures. 

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Ray Gin said:

Apparently he thinks we should have taken the approach as the USA. It seems to be going so well for them over there.

Really, Show me once where i have said this? 

Just now, Walter Bishop said:

Really, Show me once where i have said this? 

So you don't think we should have abandoned lockdown earlier? Good. Glad to hear you're not completely insane.

2 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

I have no doubt, you give the impression the highlight of your day is the announcement of the daily figures. 

Every day we hear of 0 deaths in Scotland is certainly a high point.

Walter Bishop
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Every day we hear of 0 deaths in Scotland is certainly a high point.

Totally agree. 

9 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

I think if you look at Sweden you will see lockdown was wrong. Shielding of the elderly and those at risk should have been where the lockdown ended. Rest of us should have been allowed to get on with life. 

Sorry but that's nonsense. We simply do not have the ICU capacity to stick folk on a ventilator when they end up in the serious ****ed category.

How the hell could the rest of us been allowed to get on with life when our hospitals were overwhelmed? That was the point in lockdown, to slow the infection rate so our hospitals can hope! Are you seriously saying that you'd have been happy to carry on as normal knowing the safety net of a hospital should you require it is not there?

Sorry you had a heart attack or stroke and need treatment badly but you'll need to join the queue of ambulances mostly of CV19 patients! And once you're in the hospital, there's a chance you might get CV19 at a time when you really could do without it while your body is trying recovering from your heart attack or stroke or whatever. Maybe you have collapsed lungs from a car crash but tough shit there is no ventilators available.

Then all the routine operations. Need a hip replacement? Or did you break your arm badly? Well you'll need to wait a long time to get that sorted I'm afraid because routine operations are hindered hugely to try prevent CV19 spread in the hospital.

Yeah... that sounds a great idea to do back in March! Carry on as normal!

Edited by kila

Jambo-Jimbo
9 minutes ago, kila said:

Accept what? It sounds like you’re saying lockdown was the wrong thing to do. 

We had no choice because the health service was overwhelmed and more would’ve died on trollies in the corridors or in the back of ambulances queuing outside!

It isn’t just the deaths from CV19 but the disruption to hospital services because the thing is so contagious. Even if it is weakening now it doesn’t change how ****ed things were earlier this year. 

Agreed, faced with a completely new virus which was spreading like wildfire through the general population and after seeing all to clearly the devastating effects this thing was having on the Italian health care system then the Spanish, what choice did the UK have other than to lock-down.

There is already a huge row as it is about the number of deaths, just imagine if people were dying in the car parks because the hospitals were so overwhelmed with cases and there was no space anywhere else, just imagine the shit storm there would have been then.

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Dead. 

:facepalm:

Sorry man thought you meant you hadn’t seen them because of the lockdown...

Governor Tarkin
28 minutes ago, kila said:

At no point was the NHS overwhelmed.

Were it not for lockdown it may have been, but it wasn't.

Walter Bishop
13 minutes ago, kila said:

Sorry but that's nonsense. We simply do not have the ICU capacity to stick folk on a ventilator when they end up in the serious ****ed category.

How the hell could the rest of us been allowed to get on with life when our hospitals were overwhelmed? That was the point in lockdown, to slow the infection rate so our hospitals can hope! Are you seriously saying that you'd have been happy to carry on as normal knowing the safety net of a hospital should you require it is not there?

Sorry you had a heart attack or stroke and need treatment badly but you'll need to join the queue of ambulances mostly of CV19 patients! And once you're in the hospital, there's a chance you might get CV19 at a time when you really could do without it while your body is trying recovering from your heart attack or stroke or whatever.

Then all the routine operations. Need a hip replacement? Or did you break your arm badly? Well you'll need to wait a long time to get that sorted I'm afraid because routine operations are hindered hugely to try prevent CV19 spread in the hospital.

Yeah... that sounds a great idea to do back in March! Carry on as normal!

What do you think happened? No hospitals were overwhelmed, emergency hospitals were not used yet the safety net of hospital wasnt there! At one point the NHS were almost advertising for patients!! The fall out from this will cause the lives of many, many people. Cancer deaths alone predicted to out number covid 19 deaths. Almost 1000 died at home during lockdown due to postponed/lack of treatment/care. 

This was part of the problem aswell, many contracted Covid in hospital due to bad practice from those in charge, Nurses and doctors moving between wards, similarly to carers moving between care homes. Not to mention those that did have heart attacks and their cause of death was noted as covid-19! Thankfully we will have learned from these mistakes. 

Edited by Walter Bishop

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Genuine question here which I hope folk can answer..:

Why is it necessary to wear a mask on public transport and shops yet pubs/restaurants and gyms (once open) aren’t mandatory? Are the first two somehow bigger vectors?

Pure guess but if you’re on a train or a bus there is a chance you will have to sit next to someone but if in a restaurant or a pub you can sit away from someone 

8 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

At no point was the NHS overwhelmed.

Were it not for lockdown it may have been, but it wasn't.

Ah I must've dreamed all those coming out of retirement, junior doctors graduating early, all the student nurses jumping to the front line. Plus existing doctors and nurses throwing in tons of overtime to help deal with it because the flow of critically ill patients was increasing. And the makeshift ICU wards to increase capacity beyond what was available - the Glasgow QE had to triple its ICU capacity as did many others.

I can't believe some actually think the NHS wasn't overwhelmed and this was all an overreaction.

Edited by kila

On 14/07/2020 at 12:27, I P Knightley said:

You're being paranoid about wearing a mask either being unhealthy or an imposition on your civic liberties or whatever. 

I passed my driving test when wearing a seat belt was optional (recommended to do so to impress the examiner); seat belts in the back were only available in top end cars. Nobody thinks twice now about putting seat belts on. The concept is the same.

What is cynical, though, is BloJo's timing of this announcement. Coinciding with a lot of bad news and costings about the feck up that is Brexit. But that's another argument for another thread...

I have to wear a mask for work every day and trust me it’s not as easy and comfy as wearing a seat belt 

On 12/07/2020 at 23:04, Enzo Chiefo said:

The virus appears to be weakening. Do you know how many people catch the common cold in winter? Probably not, as we don't have daily briefings. I think the point is that it will cease to be a public health threat in the coming months, regardless of whether it still exists or not. The higher cases in the US with lower death rates than before is another pointer.

Highest number of deaths in the USA yesterday since 20 May.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, kila said:

Ah I must've dreamed all those coming out of retirement, junior doctors graduating early, all the student nurses jumping to the front line. Plus existing doctors and nurses throwing in tons of overtime to help deal with it because the flow of critically ill patients was increasing. And the makeshift ICU wards to increase capacity beyond what was available - the Glasgow QE had to triple its ICU capacity as did many others. 

I can't believe some actually think the NHS wasn't overwhelmed and this was all an overreaction.

Of course you didn't imagine the extra capacity that was mobilised before the peak of the pandemic hit the UK, don't be so silly.

What you did imagine was that extra capacity being overwhelmed.

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, kila said:

Ah I must've dreamed all those coming out of retirement, junior doctors graduating early, all the student nurses jumping to the front line. Plus existing doctors and nurses throwing in tons of overtime to help deal with it because the flow of critically ill patients was increasing. And the makeshift ICU wards to increase capacity beyond what was available - the Glasgow QE had to triple its ICU capacity as did many others. This meant using ventilator models that were meant for only a short term use only (e.g. during an operation)  rather than the higher end models meant for someone being on it for weeks or months meaning their lungs end up even more damaged.

I have 3 members of my family who work for the NHS. I can assure you, they were not overwhelmed. I have a member of my family who works in a care home who was on the verge of total breakdown due to being being overwhelmed, understaffed, dealing with loss of life and testing positive for covid-19. 

Walter Bishop
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Of course you didn't imagine the extra capacity that was mobilised before the peak of the pandemic hit the UK, don't be so silly.

This. 

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Genuine question here which I hope folk can answer..:

Why is it necessary to wear a mask on public transport and shops yet pubs/restaurants and gyms (once open) aren’t mandatory? Are the first two somehow bigger vectors?

Because there is a lot of guess work and making it up as they go along being conducted. If the guidance was to hold any weight or value, the steps would have been implemented months ago. 

Enzo Chiefo
1 hour ago, Walter Bishop said:

When you see stats like this its hard to accept what is/has been going on.

Many, many more millions will suffer because of missed diagnosis of illnesses, missed trratments for cancer, suicides, job losses etc.

Screenshot_20200716-075733_Twitter.jpg

Facts like those do put everything in perspective.  Yes, we need to be wary but daily briefings and 24hr rolling news coverage, bordering on hysteria at times, have clouded the judgement of many.

1 minute ago, Walter Bishop said:

I have 3 members of my family who work for the NHS. I can assure you, they were not overwhelmed. I have a member of my family who works in a care home who was on the verge of total breakdown due to being being overwhelmed, understaffed, dealing with loss of life and testing positive for covid-19. 

Quite a bold statement to claim NHS staff were not overwhelmed. I know quite a few and they said they were. As did many who were interviewed on the TV, breaking down much like your family member who works in a care home.

You're clearly trying to pinpoint the reason for lockdown being the care home issue, not the hospitals.

Even @Governor Tarkin agrees that without lockdown things would've gotten even worse for the health service. He disagrees they were overwhelmed but agrees that without lockdown it may have been.

I'm keen to hear more about why you think that the health service would've been fine without a lockdown.

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

I have a member of my family who works in a care home who was on the verge of total breakdown due to being being overwhelmed, understaffed, dealing with loss of life and testing positive for covid-19. 

Same, but without testing positive, although being in the low risk group for symptoms, she feels terrible that she may have had it, transmitted it, and recovered, all before they finally got around to testing her. Many of her colleagues feel the same.

So the normal capacity was overwhelmed forcing emergency measures to be taken.

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Ray Gin said:

So the normal capacity was overwhelmed forcing emergency measures to be taken.

No it wasn't. The increased capacity and reorganisation was largely in place before it was absolutely required, so the NHS wasn't overwhelmed by covid cases. It was a fantastic and largely unprecedented effort by all concerned. It shows what we can do when there is a requirement and a will, and is something  that as a nation (UK) we should be proud of.

You can believe that the NHS was overwhelmed if you like.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

No it wasn't. The increased capacity and reorganisation was largely in place before it was absolutely required, so the NHS wasn't overwhelmed by covid cases. It was a fantastic and largely unprecedented effort by all concerned. It shows what we can do when there is a requirement and a will, and is something  that as a nation (UK) we should be proud of.

It wasn't due to the emergency measures. You can pretend the emergency measures had no impact if you like.

Walter Bishop
Just now, kila said:

Quite a bold statement to claim NHS staff were not overwhelmed. I know quite a few and they said they were. As did many who were interviewed on the TV, breaking down much like your family member who works in a care home.

You're clearly trying to pinpoint the reason for lockdown being the care home issue, not the hospitals.

Even @Governor Tarkin agrees that without lockdown things would've gotten even worse for the health service. He disagrees they were overwhelmed but agrees that without lockdown it may have been.

I'm keen to hear more about why you think that the health service would've been fine without a lockdown.

The virus mainly affects those over 80 years old and those with underlying health problems. If you are fit and healthy and under the age of 60 you are more than likely to have mild symptoms and wont/dont need to go to hospital. The elderly, vulnerable, care homes and hospitals should have been better protected and better managed. The majority of hospitalisations came from care homes, the majority of deaths came from care homes along with the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. There was more chance of contracting the virus in a hospital or a care home than anywhere else. 

I totally get the virus was new and this caused mass panic,  aided by the media which has created a nation of people scared to get on with their lives. At the beginning i was one, but having listened to those without an agenda and people close to me who have seen first hand who and how this affects people i totally changed my opinion. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, Ray Gin said:

It wasn't due to the emergency measures. You can pretend the emergency measures had no impact if you like.

I don't know wtf you're talking about Ray. I'm not pretending anything.

You like to bang on about facts, so here's one for you.

The NHS wasn't overwhelmed.

Walter Bishop
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Im not going to show you, but i have a message from 3rd May from a very close friend who worked in what was a converted covid ward at one of Scotland`s biggest hospitals, They had 3 patients down from a high of 14! Staff were being asked to use up their annual leave, this was not long after the peak. 

This is also my experience from people I know who work in the NHS. Biggest complaints were working with ppe on, made for hot tiring shifts but overwhelmed wasn’t a comment I’d heard from them. As you say the effort by those in the NHS was unprecedented and they deserve huge praise and thanks for that. 

3 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

Im not going to show you, but i have a message from 3rd May from a very close friend who worked in what was a converted covid ward at one of Scotland`s biggest hospitals, They had 3 patients down from a high of 14! Staff were being asked to use up their annual leave, this was not long after the peak. 

Glad to hear that this Covid emergency ward didn't reach capacity. Other places were not so lucky:

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/exclusive-critical-care-unit-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients/7027189.article

"A major London hospital declared a “critical incident” due to a surge in patients with coronavirus, with one senior director in the capital calling the development “petrifying”."

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/07/nhs-nurse-says-overwhelmed-deaths-cant-cope-12522566/

"The staff are so overwhelmed with deaths that they can’t cope. Two large fridges have been placed in the car park because the mortuary is full."

OmiyaHearts

Pleased to hear from my mrs that 99% of her customers have been wearing face masks, even though they aren't required. They opened for sit-in yesterday.

Customers also disposing of their own rubbish etc to make things easier. Overall, everyone seems to be making an effort to make workers feel safer. Only one customer had a go at her yesterday (because they didn't like disposable cutlery), a groundbreaking achievement.

To reply to the question in the posts above - I assume the reason for masks on public transport , supermarkets and not coffee shops/restaurants, is due to the distance rule being managed and enforced by staff indoors. This probably cannot be monitored as frequently on transport and bigger shops.

Fortunately, most people now are using a common sense approach and doing the right thing by wearing masks, making people feel safer in their place of work. A small gesture that makes a big difference.

Edited by OmiyaHearts

Governor Tarkin

All that time spent searching the internet for negative stories could be better spent on masturbation.

Maybe the two are not mutually exclusive.

Who knows.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Pleased to hear from my mrs that 99% of her customers have been wearing face masks, even though they aren't required. They opened for sit-in yesterday.

Customers also disposing of their own rubbish etc to make things easier. Overall, everyone seems to be making an effort to make workers feel safer. Only one customer had a go at her yesterday (because they didn't like disposable cutlery), a groundbreaking achievement.

To reply to the question in the posts above - I assume the reason for masks on public transport , supermarkets and not coffee shops/restaurants, is due to the distance rule being managed and enforced by staff indoors. This probably cannot be monitored as frequently on transport and bigger shops.

Fortunately, most people now are using a common sense approach and doing the right thing by wearing masks, making people feel safer in their place of work. A small gesture that makes a big difference.

Great things have improved.

I P Knightley
32 minutes ago, theshed said:

I have to wear a mask for work every day and trust me it’s not as easy and comfy as wearing a seat belt 

I'm comparing the attitudes that people had/have towards the two. Being forced to wear seat belts was seen by many to be a diabolical imposition. A lot of the rhetoric around face masks is equally dramatic.

I had a Respro mask to filter pollen when cycling; I know about the discomfort of wearing a mask, especially on a hot day when you're exercising and sweating (and snottering 🤢) heavily. I decided to stop wearing it but the decision was only about me, my health and my comfort. 

I've now got a rather natty cotton face mask, made by a pal. I'd rather not have to wear it but I do because I feel more comfortable when I see others wearing masks in shops, so I return the favour. It needs a wee adjustment so that it doesn't pull my ears out like Plug from the Bash Street Kids.

Ainsley Harriott
3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

All that time spent searching the internet for negative stories could be better spent on masturbation.

Who knows.

First thing I did after my bout of covid was bash one out. I knew then my recovery was complete.

Walter Bishop
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Glad to hear that this Covid emergency ward didn't reach capacity. Other places were not so lucky:

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/exclusive-critical-care-unit-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients/7027189.article

"A major London hospital declared a “critical incident” due to a surge in patients with coronavirus, with one senior director in the capital calling the development “petrifying”."

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/07/nhs-nurse-says-overwhelmed-deaths-cant-cope-12522566/

"The staff are so overwhelmed with deaths that they can’t cope. Two large fridges have been placed in the car park because the mortuary is full."

I can hand pick articles from the media aswell and post them to show the opposite, i can also post articles backing up those you have posted. 

I have my own opinion based on personal experiences however and from doing my own research avoiding a main stream media that has a clear agenda to incite fear into the british public, as proven in minutes from early sage meetings. 

Do yourself a favour, avoid newspapers and sensationalists who after 15 minutes of fame and research for yourself. 

5 minutes ago, Walter Bishop said:

In May! Remind me when it was we went into lockdown to slow the spread and help the health service cope?

You are constantly playing down how serious the virus was and that a lockdown wasn't needed. If the lockdown hadn't happened then things would've only escalated further. But **** a bunch of old and vulnerable people right? And importantly the vulnerable category can be anyone - fine today but an accident or something tomorrow and well tough shit you're oot the gemme.

There simply wasn't enough ICU beds to cope with the number of increasing critical cases. So they had to create makeshift ones. They also had to quickly re-train some staff to care for ICU patients. There was a poster on here whose wife had to re-train for that very purpose and he mentioned how terrified she was not because of CV19 but because the role was so demanding and she was right in the deep end from the get-go. Many nurses quickly re-trained like that felt the same.

I appreciate lockdown has been very hard for some. And the impact of that will be felt for some time. But it doesn't mean that lockdown was the wrong thing to do. Doing nothing and hoping for the best is the wrong thing to do. Ignoring the pleas of our frontline doctors and nurses is the wrong thing to do. But them, en-masse, pleading for people to stay at home means nothing right?

Just now, Walter Bishop said:

I can hand pick articles from the media aswell and post them to show the opposite, i can also post articles backing up those you have posted. 

I have my own opinion based on personal experiences however and from doing my own research avoiding a main stream media that has a clear agenda to incite fear into the british public, as proven in minutes from early sage meetings. 

Do yourself a favour, avoid newspapers and sensationalists who after 15 minutes of fame and research for yourself. 

You want me to travel around the hospitals of the UK myself? :lol: 

Please publish your own research, I'm sure the scientific community would be fascinated by your findings.

KyleLafferty

Why do people compare coronavirus with cancer, suicide etc? Coronavirus is an easily spread virus. Few people on this thread are honestly thick as mince.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

All the time spent complaining about people posting negative stories could be used for the same purpose.

Again, the two may not be mutually exclusive. 👍

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Who knows.

:rofl:

What a fecking doom merchant eh. Jesus....

OmiyaHearts
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Great things have improved.

She was really happy yesterday. Especially with the shop being much busier too. Nero are struggling big time, so takes a bit of stress out the day, to see increased takings and people being kinder and sensible.

People need to be more aware the pressure that retail workers are under (not just retail btw). Jobs at risk, health at risk, enforcing distance rules, learing a new way to work etc. 

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Why do people compare coronavirus with cancer, suicide etc? Coronavirus is an easily spread virus. Few people on this thread are honestly thick as mince.

And one more since you got here.

1 minute ago, KyleLafferty said:

Don't be such a doom merchant. Thinking happy thoughts is all we need to keep this virus at bay.

giphy.gif

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

And one more since you got here.

Another keyboard warrior 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Enzo Chiefo
24 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Highest number of deaths in the USA yesterday since 20 May.

Unfortunately,  death rates are approx 1% each year.  That seems to have been forgotten about with the daily Covid reports and regular pronouncements 

I see those drive-in gigs have been cancelled due to local lockdowns at short notice making it impractical to plan around.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic