Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm not qualified to say.

Neither am i but the stats maybe say we are.  Obviously the " realists" ie doom mongerers will have another opinion of this 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Seatbelts don't ruin your weekly letch at the talent in Tesco, however. :(

I'll admit, my weekly letch very rarely brings the face into the picture and, when it does, it's often a big disappointment. So I'm with Boris Johnson on this one. 

Wearing a face mask on a warm day would surely lead to a compensatory gesture of wearing something a little more skimpy elsewhere.

4 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm not qualified to say.

I wasn't looking for a qualified opinion, if I was I would have posted the question on the Imperial College forum.

😋

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, graygo said:

I wasn't looking for a qualified opinion, if I was I would have posted the question on the Imperial College forum.

😋

😄😄

1 minute ago, graygo said:

😋

That's no a scientific question requiring expert opinion. If you can count you can make a comparison on the numbers from Scotland and the numbers from anywhere else.

Governor Tarkin
7 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Wearing a face mask on a warm day would surely lead to a compensatory gesture of wearing something a little more skimpy elsewhere.

Round my neck of the woods this constitutes a worst case scenario. :(

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's no a scientific question requiring expert opinion. If you can count you can make a comparison on the numbers from Scotland and the numbers from anywhere else.

I know, I was just feeling really positive about things and was looking for back up to support those feelings. 👍

Governor Tarkin
55 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

No one wants or requires your help on this pandemic, or mine for that matter but then i'm not proposing anything but accepting the experts know more than I do. You're a babbling tit when it comes to the pandemic. So do us all a favour, toddle along and don't try to pretend otherwise.

You're patently one of these kind who think throwing in a last word, any word, no matter how pointless and empty of content regarding the topic somehow validates talking and saying nothing.  I bet you're all over this forum doing exactly that.  It's actually a symptom of egomania.

I know this kind, I had one in my extended family till he recognised the vacuous nature of it and grew out of it. You continue talking while saying absolutely nothing of any relevance to the topic.

And, once more, if you think accepting experts know more than I do is being a tit you carry on with that. Or, toddle along as you seem to imagine is profound.

3 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm detecting a worrying level of projection in your posts, JFK. :(

1 minute ago, graygo said:

I know, I was just feeling really positive about things and was looking for back up to support those feelings. 👍

It is positive, i'm abroad and proud of the nation and the way they have dealt with this. You don't need to be an expert to conclude it's better than this.

The U.S. reported its highest single-day infections — more than 67,000 cases — on Thursday July 9th. The United States reported more than 4,200 deaths in the past seven days, and experts warn that the trend could continue to get worse.

We don't need experts to illustrate the difference. Nor the differences in handling the pandemic.

42 minutes ago, graygo said:

6 days in a row with zero deaths in Scotland, only 2 confirmed cases in ICU.

Are we winning?

It's only half-time, but after taking an absolute pummelling in the first quarter of the match, we've somehow clawed it and taken a lead going into the break. We've seen how quickly this match can turn around though after that rollercoaster first half so we can't afford to get complacent.

Half-time Score: Covid 19 - 20 Scotland

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm detecting a worrying level of projection in your posts, JFK. :(

I'm detecting an entirely predictable level of talking and saying absolutely nothing to continue your obvious last word obsession. Effectively proving what I said. Go ahead, continue, I will let you have it while you talk and say nothing.

3 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I reckon I could catch some kind of eye cancer from reading your posts tbh.

:rofl:

davemclaren
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

And so it begins. This is what I was afraid of from the ****ing start. If this is an over riding success there  and people comply then watch compulsory mask wearing spreading like wild fire where ever you want to go. That is a total and utter  disgrace. 

Hoping I am just being paranoid Doubt I am though 

You do sound a bit paranoid. 🤷🏼‍♂️😄

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

It's only half-time, but after taking an absolute pummelling in the first quarter of the match, we've somehow clawed it and taken a lead going into the break. We've seen how quickly this match can turn around though after that rollercoaster first half so we can't afford to get complacent.

Half-time Score: Covid 19 - 20 Scotland

It's a good analogy, Ray, but it would take a Tommy McLean era league cup second half at home to St Johnstone type collapse to **** this up. 👍

I'd like to think that collectively we're too savvy for that.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Should be as automatic as wearing a seatbelt in a car 

These things take a bit of time to embed, like wearing seatbelts. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
20 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

F8426926-D54C-47BE-A885-725E5E0EA267.jpeg

the sort of thing being shared by numbers of people who wear and handle their masks wrongly and thereby increasing their risk of ending up on a ventilator

ignorance is not always bliss :(

Jambo-Jimbo
51 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

F8426926-D54C-47BE-A885-725E5E0EA267.jpeg

You do realise that they put you to sleep before they insert the tubes, so you are completely unaware that you're on a ventilator.

Ibrahim Tall
1 hour ago, graygo said:

Why in a shop and as of tomorrow not in a pub?

In a pub wouldn’t be practical, you’d need to constantly remove it/put in on every time you had a drink etc and all that touching of the mask and your face would defeat the point of having it on at all.

Theres no real reason to either remove or touch a mask while shopping so it’s more practical.

Whether pubs and bars should be open at all at this stage is another argument but the entire industry was more than likely dead if it the closure continued much longer.

JudyJudyJudy
15 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

Devi Sridhar writes some good stuff on Twitter also 

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

In a pub wouldn’t be practical, you’d need to constantly remove it/put in on every time you had a drink etc and all that touching of the mask and your face would defeat the point of having it on at all.

Theres no real reason to either remove or touch a mask while shopping so it’s more practical.

Whether pubs and bars should be open at all at this stage is another argument but the entire industry was more than likely dead if it the closure continued much longer.

For many pubs, restaurants & hotels, it'll already be too late.

Interesting concept being explored in some countries which could help in many scenarios such as pubs, restaurants, even stadiums etc as we work towards a vaccine. It's been discovered that dogs can be trained to detect people infected by the virus with a remarkable level of accuracy.

Cheap, the dog works for treats, and fast. The dog could be walked along a line of people just sniffing away. How long would it take and how much would it cost to test a crowd with our conventional methods? Four of the dogs in the study demonstrated a 100% detection accuracy rate.

Dogs show remarkable prowess at smelling coronavirus: 95% success rate from sweat samples

The comparisons to other diseases and how many die is pointless as CV19 overwhelmed our hospitals and crucial services ended up postponed. So it's not just a matter of how many died of CV19, it's how much of the health service resources are needed to attend to those critical while preventing spread to other vulnerable groups in other wards.

Once a proven treatment is available, the impact on the health service will be greatly reduced. But for now, if we are to keep our borders open and encourage tourism and travel (with half arsed quarantine measures if any at all) then the chance of a second wave is always there especially if immunity ends up being short lived (like some studies have suggested). Preventative measures such as masks and social distancing are our only way to combat it for the time being.

However I am not all doom and gloom and I do think a proven, reliable treatment and/or vaccine will be found so we can go back to how things were in the not too distant future.

5 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Interesting concept being explored in some countries which could help in many scenarios such as pubs, restaurants, even stadiums etc as we work towards a vaccine. It's been discovered that dogs can be trained to detect people infected by the virus with a remarkable level of accuracy.

Cheap, the dog works for treats, and fast. The dog could be walked along a line of people just sniffing away. How long would it take and how much would it cost to test a crowd with our conventional methods? Four of the dogs in the study demonstrated a 100% detection accuracy rate.

Dogs show remarkable prowess at smelling coronavirus: 95% success rate from sweat samples

Amazing!

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
15 hours ago, Walter Bishop said:

To stop those under 50 years of age living their lives as normal whilst the elderly and vulnerable in society were told to shield, it would never have worked, those in the shielding category wouldn't have stood for it. You cant have a rule one for one and a rule for another, so they used scaremongering to get everyone to follow the "rules". 

3 months ago i never seen a way out of this. Watched far to much news and read too many headlines. Then I started following a group of people on twitter who changed my whole outlook on the whole "Pandemic". Well worth having a look at some of their pages.

Michael Levitt @MLevitt_NP2013
Ivor Cummins @FatEmperor
Professor Karol Sikora @ProfKarolSikora
David Paton @cricketwyvern
Alistair Haimes @AlistairHaimes

it was probably necessary and worked a treat - flooded the public with fear and as importantly lots and lots of data and detail 

some folk became r-value experts parroting data and jargon about spurious movements in a theoretical indicator and the like on the back of a couple of government presentations and you-tube videos

lots of data-parroting with not lots of high-level understanding kept folk pre-occupied and kept the fear drum banging - was probably a necessity to achieve the required results and the authorities did openly reference that they had behavioural scientists as part of the team

likewise the authorities might now need us to believe things are maybe a bit safer than they actually are - they’re taking decisions for the economy now not individuals - reality of life like not banning cars due accidents and deaths occurring

4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Amazing!

Mans best friend indeed. There's a hypothesis that dogs may have been one of the factors that permitted humans to switch from being hunter gatherers to farming.

The idea being that to settle down to raising livestock and growing crops dogs would have been required to alert the humans to the presence of predators particular at night. And keep crop eating pests off the crops.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Brilliant.

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

it was probably necessary and worked a treat - flooded the public with fear and as importantly lots and lots of data and detail 

some folk became r-value experts parroting data and jargon about spurious movements in a theoretical indicator and the like on the back of a couple of government presentations and you-tube videos

lots of data-parroting with not lots of high-level understanding kept folk pre-occupied and kept the fear drum banging - was probably a necessity to achieve the required results and the authorities did openly reference that they had behavioural scientists as part of the team.

:spoton:

Jambo-Jimbo
25 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I've seen them use dogs to detect a multitude of different diseases, including some cancers, amazing what they can sniff out.

My son trains dogs in 'Mantrailing', which is basically dogs used for hunting for missing people by the Police & Mountain Rescue Teams, he's not done any Police work but he has helped with Mountain Rescue dogs.

Dogs love it, they love the scent work, and it doesn't have to be for people, many folks just use treats or almost anything, hide the treat and leave a scent and the dog will try and find it, this isn't just over a couple of feet, this is over a mile or two or more, and they love it, it's great exercise for the dog and the owner.

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I've seen them use dogs to detect a multitude of different diseases, including some cancers, amazing what they can sniff out.

Can even detect a seizure coming in an epileptic. Alert them hey it's coming you need to lie down before you fall down. That has to be life changing for these people.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Can even detect a seizure coming in an epileptic. Alert them hey it's coming you need to lie down before you fall down. That has to be life changing for these people.

Man's best friend in more ways than you'd realise.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

For many pubs, restaurants & hotels, it'll already be too late.

When outside or inside a pub no one needs to wear a mask . It wouldn’t make sense as it’s more unsafe taking them off and on all the time since you may be touching numerous surfaces and then the mask. 

Folk posting pictures of cut-up Tory Party membership cards, screenshots of unsubscribing from the Tory Party and mentioning Sharia Law and muzzles.

:cornette:

Some people's minds have totally slipped during these last 100 days.

Jambo-Jimbo
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

When outside or inside a pub no one needs to wear a mask . It wouldn’t make sense as it’s more unsafe taking them off and on all the time since you may be touching numerous surfaces and then the mask. 

Yes, but what has the above post got to do with the industry being on it's knees because of the length of time they were closed, that's what I replied to, basically saying that even if they all opened up now, it'll be too late for some. 

Wearing of masks wasn't mentioned, well not by me it wasn't.

JudyJudyJudy
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Yes, but what has the above post got to do with the industry being on it's knees because of the length of time they were closed, that's what I replied to, basically saying that even if they all opened up now, it'll be too late for some. 

Wearing of masks wasn't mentioned, well not by me it wasn't.

Maybe quoted wrong person. 

Jambo 4 Ever
11 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

This is key -

: “As we release ourselves from lockdown, we also release the virus from it and so we have to work in other ways to keep it under control.

“That means all of us – every single one of us – sticking rigidly to the rules.”

jack D and coke
21 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I agree James. The govt propaganda machine was certainly successful in terms of leaving sections of the population terrified. Don't see the point in worrying about situations that may never happen. There are lots of risks in life and that is just a part of living.

The biggest risk is living your life in fear. 
Pubs are open tomorrow. 
Ya dancer🍺🕺🏼

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pubs are open tomorrow. 
Ya dancer🍺🕺🏼

:greatpost:

🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Jambo 4 Ever
24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pubs are open tomorrow. 
Ya dancer🍺🕺🏼

“Living in fear” won’t kill you or others

the virus might 

JudyJudyJudy
30 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pubs are open tomorrow. 
Ya dancer🍺🕺🏼

👍👍👍👍

jack D and coke
Just now, Natural Orders said:

“Living in fear” won’t kill you or others

the virus might 

I’ll level with you here....drink is more likely to kill me than corona virus😋😋

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic