• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 people in 100,000 in Scotland infected.

Being discussed by Nicola Sturgeon in context of flight quarantine rules. 

Jambo 4 Ever

For those still moaning about having to wear facemasks on public transport and in shops from Friday - you do realise it is the LAW

Enzo Chiefo
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Well if there are millions of asymptomatic cases that means the virus isn’t as deadly as some claims it to be ? 

Surging cases in America combined with reduced death rates would indicate that the virus could well be weakening.  It may well be that in months to come we don't give Covid much thought in our day to day lives. The levels of fear that have been instilled in people since the start of the virus is completely disproportionate to the threat of this. A combination of rolling media coverage and a risk averse society have resulted in ridiculous over reaction at times. Of course every death is sad but daily briefings and forensic analysis of every stat overlooks the fact that 115k die each year in the UK from respiratory illnesses.  Current death rates have been below the 5 year average for several weeks now which may indicate a lot of the reported deaths relate to "with Covid" rather than "as a result of Covid".

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Surging cases in America combined with reduced death rates would indicate that the virus could well be weakening.  It may well be that in months to come we don't give Covid much thought in our day to day lives. The levels of fear that have been instilled in people since the start of the virus is completely disproportionate to the threat of this. A combination of rolling media coverage and a risk averse society have resulted in ridiculous over reaction at times. Of course every death is sad but daily briefings and forensic analysis of every stat overlooks the fact that 115k die each year in the UK from respiratory illnesses.  Current death rates have been below the 5 year average for several weeks now which may indicate a lot of the reported deaths relate to "with Covid" rather than "as a result of Covid".

Good posting 

9 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Surging cases in America combined with reduced death rates would indicate that the virus could well be weakening. 

902 deaths in America yesterday, the highest in 4 weeks. Their cases curve started massively going up a few weeks ago so the next week could potentially see a big rise in the number of deaths.

Edited by Ray Gin

25 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

For those still moaning about having to wear facemasks on public transport and in shops from Friday - you do realise it is the LAW

I'm still confused at why they need to be worn in shops, but not pubs.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Spain (and Serbia) remains in quarantine. 

Big, big call from SG, didn't expect that.

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Maybe folk are less mobile in a pub.

3 minutes ago, OBE said:

Big, big call from SG, didn't expect that.

She explained it well. 

Scotland seems lower infections now. All about driving it down here. 

Edited by Mikey1874

35 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Fines should be £1000...

So just catching up on what was said to confirm.

Scotland - 28 infected per 100,000

UK - 128 infected per 100,000

(Spain is around 200 infected per 100,000)

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I see mask shaming is the new curtain twitching.

Was always going to become the case...

:facepalm:

Jambo 4 Ever
16 minutes ago, Locky said:

Probably coz you are only supposed to meet with up to 2 other households in pubs (outdoors at the moment) whereas on transport and shops you are nearby many different households and usually  in recycled air

jack D and coke
46 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

More of this type of posting👍🏼

49 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

👏👏👏

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

You said "It's at least 10 times more fatal than flu" which reads as a statement of fact/certainty.

You, I or anyone else simply does not know that yet and the article you posted is measuring it in a very skewed fashion by disgarding anyone who is asymptomatic. It may very well prove correct but it isn't helpful to make statements like that at this stage with the lack of comparison, imo of course.

Well if you don't want to listen to the scientists on it what is there left? Trump and the miracle theory? Kickback scientists?

You or I know plus Trump and kickback combined know nothing in comparison to the scientists publishing that data. IMO of course.

I will continue listening to them unless or until they decide otherwise which at this stage appears unlikely.

And incidentally the article did mention and account for those  "who will recover asymptomatically"

However, the novel coronavirus is more infectious than the influenza virus, Basu noted. So, a conservative estimate of 20% of the U.S. population becoming infected by the end of the year -- with the current trends in social distancing and health care supply continuing, while accounting for those infected who will recover asymptomatically -- could result in the number of deaths climbing to between 350,000 and 1.2 million.

14 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Probably coz you are only supposed to meet with up to 2 other households in pubs (outdoors at the moment) whereas on transport and shops you are nearby many different households and usually  in recycled air

Sadly while that might the intentions, I don't think many pubs outwith city centre's will actually adhere to these rules closely. Obviously be different if police are closely inspecting a lot of pubs, but your local boozers will be just like any payday weekend I'd imagine.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Locky said:

Sadly while that might the intentions, I don't think many pubs outwith city centre's will actually adhere to these rules closely. Obviously be different if police are closely inspecting a lot of pubs, but your local boozers will be just like any payday weekend I'd imagine.

Unfortunately you might be right 

Ainsley Harriott
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Are we sure this Sunak guy is a Tory chancellor?

Great news for cafe/ restaurant owners it should give their businesses a good shot in the arm. I'm sure the Nats will find something to whinge about though 

Francis Albert
19 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well if you don't want to listen to the scientists on it what is there left? Trump and the miracle theory? Kickback scientists?

You or I know plus Trump and kickback combined know nothing in comparison to the scientists publishing that data. IMO of course.

I will continue listening to them unless or until they decide otherwise which at this stage appears unlikely.

And incidentally the article did mention and account for those  "who will recover asymptomatically"

Which scientists do you listen to?

There is very  little scientific consensus. 

The scientist you quote says there could be 350,000 to 1,200,000 deaths in the States.. The only thing not in doubt there is the word "could". As in "could … or quite possibly or probably not".

Jambo-Jimbo
26 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Not when you are the only customer in the shop and the door is open, meaning fresh country air is being circulated, not that pollution laiden city air.  :laugh:

AlimOzturk

Is it "mandatory" to wear a mask in a train station? Or just as you board one? 

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

She explained it well. 

Scotland seems lower infections now. All about driving it down here. 

Did she explain how it would be managed?

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Off for a scan with the Mrs.

Mask on.

****ing hating it.

I hope it’s nothing serious.

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

Bit depressing on this today !  

Read @Enzo Chiefo's posts mate. 

Cheer you up no end. 👍

Governor Tarkin
3 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I hope it’s nothing serious.

Well if it's a girl then it's serious. 😣

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

Well if it's a girl then it's serious. 😣

Are these routine these days because it’s a long time since my youngest was born?

What is people's issues with putting a wee cloth mask over their face for the 15 minutes they're in shops, and being asked to wash their hands?  It is literally a non-issue, and I don't see why it is causing people to freak out so ****ing much.

A simple scenario:  Go and sneeze on a glass mirror or window.  Clean it off, put a mask on and then sneeze on the same mirror or window.  That is the shit that you're preventing from going into the air and other people's faces.

Grown adults having temper tantrums about putting on a face covering just shows how completely ****ed we are as a society, and how little respect people have for others around them.

I wore a mask to the shop last night because I was out of a few essentials.  I try to limit my time out in public because I really don't fancy getting sick - as I'm asthmatic, I imagine I would have a tougher time with the virus than others.   I don't think the mask makes me immune, but if it stops me breathing in shite floating about in the air, it would help to reduce the overall risk.  Not a single other customer in the shop was wearing a mask, and I got looked at as if I was mental for wearing one.  I then was treated to a lovely woman in the queue in front of me sneering at me, with her voice raised enough so I could hear it, calling me a "mask wearing idiot".  I considered beating her to death with a tin of beans, but instead ignored it.  From the sound of her voice, she smoked about 80 a day, and likely wouldn't survive the coronavirus if she did get it.  I'd rather be a "mask wearing idiot" than a jakeball idiot any day of the week.

AlimOzturk

All very good giving folk 50% off but like most people I go out to eat and drink for the experience not to have to negotiate sign in registers, plastic screens, full blown hazard clothing and visors, social distancing and being treated like a disease ridden vecctors. Until that changes I won't be back. Long term, these places wont survive with these type of rules in place no.matter how generous the government grants are. 

Governor Tarkin
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Are these routine these days because it’s a long time since my youngest was born?

This one isn't. I've forked out for a private one as the NHS (probably quite rightly) wouldn't let me in to the routine ones, and I missed all of my wee boy's scans as I was at sea.

Don't want to miss out on all of the action, you know. Need some positivity in our lives, buddy. 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
5 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

As Sean Connery’s character in The Untouchables said “You’ve got to die of something.”

And there are thousands of things to pick from that'll do the job, covid is just one of them, however the way I'm seeing some people panic, you'd think that covid was THE ONLY thing that could kill them.

I had a wee think and I do not know anybody who has died from Covid, yet since February there has been 5 people whom I know who have died from other things, none related to covid or even suspected covid as they have been heart attacks, MND & just plain old age.

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

This one isn't. I've forked out for a private one as the NHS (probably quite rightly) wouldn't let me in to the routine ones, and I missed all of my wee boy's scans as I was at sea.

Don't want to miss out on all of the action, you know. Need some positivity in our lives, buddy. 👍

👍

58 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The extract you posted earlier had a death rate of 10x influenza when based on the death rate of those who catch virus and display symptoms but not including those who don't. Which doesn't mean it has a death rate 10x of influenza...it would mean it's much less. That's all I took issue with, I'm not interested in Trump and kickback or ignoring scientists etc etc. Until we know how many asymptomatic people there are, we can't know how the virus' death rate compares to influenza or indeed any other cause of death.

What you said may or may not be wrong, but what you used to back it up suggests it was wrong.

AlimOzturk
3 minutes ago, tian447 said:

What is people's issues with putting a wee cloth mask over their face for the 15 minutes they're in shops, and being asked to wash their hands?  It is literally a non-issue, and I don't see why it is causing people to freak out so ****ing much.

A simple scenario:  Go and sneeze on a glass mirror or window.  Clean it off, put a mask on and then sneeze on the same mirror or window.  That is the shit that you're preventing from going into the air and other people's faces.

Grown adults having temper tantrums about putting on a face covering just shows how completely ****ed we are as a society, and how little respect people have for others around them.

I wore a mask to the shop last night because I was out of a few essentials.  I try to limit my time out in public because I really don't fancy getting sick - as I'm asthmatic, I imagine I would have a tougher time with the virus than others.   I don't think the mask makes me immune, but if it stops me breathing in shite floating about in the air, it would help to reduce the overall risk.  Not a single other customer in the shop was wearing a mask, and I got looked at as if I was mental for wearing one.  I then was treated to a lovely woman in the queue in front of me sneering at me, with her voice raised enough so I could hear it, calling me a "mask wearing idiot".  I considered beating her to death with a tin of beans, but instead ignored it.  From the sound of her voice, she smoked about 80 a day, and likely wouldn't survive the coronavirus if she did get it.  I'd rather be a "mask wearing idiot" than a jakeball idiot any day of the week.

4 minutes ago, tian447 said:

She saw you with a mask and started having a go at you for it with no other provocation on your part?

The cases have been surging massively for some time in the states and it makes me wonder why we haven’t seen scenes like New York anywhere else there?  Why’s the deaths still coming down when the cases are surging?  Anyone read anything about this?  

Also another day of single digit new infections in Scotland, another day of less than 1% of tests coming back as positive.  All excellent news here. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And there are thousands of things to pick from that'll do the job, covid is just one of them, however the way I'm seeing some people panic, you'd think that covid was THE ONLY thing that could kill them.

I had a wee think and I do not know anybody who has died from Covid, yet since February there has been 5 people whom I know who have died from other things, none related to covid or even suspected covid as they have been heart attacks, MND & just plain old age.

Good point.

l only know of 1 person who had the virus and is back at work.

I know of 3 people who have died of non related Covid-19 since the outbreak.

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

👍

You get a 12 week scan and a 20 week scan when you can find out what your having. 

If there are any other issues with the pregnancy then you will often get more than the 2 to make sure there are no problems. 

For example, my wife had blood clots so needed to inject blood thinners. She needed more scans to make sure it wasn't causing any problems with the pregnancy. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

20 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Which scientists do you listen to?

There is very  little scientific consensus. 

The scientist you quote says there could be 350,000 to 1,200,000 deaths in the States.. The only thing not in doubt there is the word "could". As in "could … or quite possibly or probably not".

In general I listen to the most optimistic which in the US tends to be the CDC. But even they project infection to mortality rates over 10 times that of seasonal flu and many people think they're overly optimistic. Under pressure from the Trump administration.

But if I wanted the most pessimistic I could look further afield. Which one would you go for? And if you have any credible suggestions on who I should be listening to they would be welcomed.

Here's an article published just 5 days ago projecting that the covid-19 fatality rate may in reality be 50 to 100 times greater than seasonal flu. A quote from it.

the latest best estimates show that COVID-19 is around 50 to 100 times more lethal than the seasonal flu, on average

I don't doubt for  moment that it is at least 10 times more fatal than flu. I have seen absolutely nothing from any source outside wackos like Trump to suggest otherwise.

How scientists know COVID-19 is way deadlier than the flu

After months of study, scientists have better clarity on the coronavirus's lethal potential—which makes recent case surges all the more alarming.

FOR JAMES SCOTT, the worries began in late May. It was about a month after Texas began relaxing restrictions on businesses and public gatherings, and Scott was looking at a model he had developed to predict COVID-19 deaths using cellphone mobility data.

As he watched the dramatic rise in people visiting restaurants, bars, gyms, and concert venues, he felt it was only a matter of time before the state’s cases surged—and the deaths wouldn’t be far behind.

“It’s like Bob Dylan said: You don’t need to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows,” says Scott, who works at the University of Texas at Austin, where his model is assessing whether changes in mobility patterns can predict coronavirus mortality.

Texas is just one of the states that has experienced a surge in coronavirus cases over recent weeks after relaxing its physical-distancing guidelines. However, while the death toll so far hasn’t risen to match, experts caution that the coronavirus has not lost its deadly kick.

For one, the disease takes a while to kill, and humans take even more time to record the pandemic’s fatalities due to administrative red tape. The people who are dying today were likely infected three to four weeks ago. (See where cases and deaths are growing and declining.)

What’s more, scientists today have a better sense of how to measure COVID-19's lethality, and the numbers are alarming. Using a more sophisticated calculation called the infection-fatality rate, paired with the past few months’ worth of data, the latest best estimates show that COVID-19 is around 50 to 100 times more lethal than the seasonal flu, on average.

This means that the U.S. and other countries seeing case surges need to brace for a very deadly summer and autumn if tactics don’t change.

“You don’t need to do a lot of calculations to know that 128,000 deaths is an extreme number of people who have passed away,” says University of Wollongong epidemiologist and self-described health nerd Gideon Meyerowitz-Katz, citing the current death toll in the U.S.

The question is, How bad will things get?

Early in the outbreak, many people relied on what’s known as the case-fatality rate—the number of COVID-19 deaths divided by the number of confirmed cases. But this method became somewhat obsolete once it was clear that many people can get the coronavirus and never show any symptoms, so they are not being counted as confirmed cases.

Now, after months of studying the pandemic’s ebb and flow around the world, scientists are turning to a similar but more comprehensive metric: the infection-fatality rate.

This statistical tool uses data on known infections, including best estimates for undiagnosed and asymptomatic cases, to put numbers on how likely it is for an infected person to die from the disease. This kind of calculation is done every year for seasonal influenza.

Scientists can use two strategies to estimate the infection-fatality rate, explains Meyerowitz-Katz. They can estimate the number of infections using serology studies, which test people for antibodies against the coronavirus.

These tests can reveal whether a person has been infected even if they don’t show symptoms. Or, researchers can use statistical methods to infer the total number of infections based on what’s known about the number of confirmed cases and the estimates for asymptomatic infections.

“Serology studies generally produce lower estimates of infection-fatality rates, and statistical models tend to be higher,” Meyerowitz-Katz says.

Using a statistical model, epidemiologists at Columbia University estimated the infection-fatality rate for New York City based on its massive outbreak from March 1 to May 16. Their results, published online as a non-peer reviewed preprint on June 29, show that the coronavirus may be even deadlier than first thought.

According to their data, the COVID-19 infection-fatality rate is 1.46 percent, or twice as high as earlier estimates (and much higher than a misinformed rate being widely shared on social media). This risk varies by age, with those older than 75 having the highest infection-fatality rate, at 13.83 percent.

In an informal analysis published on Medium, Meyerowitz-Katz compared the infection-fatality rates from influenza to several calculated around the world so far for COVID-19. Like COVID-19, influenza also has a high number of mild and asymptomatic infections.

These cases are not accounted for in the majority of calculations of influenza severity made by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which rely instead on hospitalizations. For the flu, doctors and hospitals are less concerned with mild cases that don’t require major treatment.

Using the handful of studies that have calculated infection-fatality rates for seasonal flu, Meyerowitz-Katz determined that somewhere between 1 and 10 people die for every 100,000 that are infected.

For COVID-19, that number ranges between 500 and 1,000 deaths per 100,000 infections. By his calculations, the coronavirus is likely to be 50 to 100 times more deadly than the seasonal flu, which supports the Columbia University findings.

These numbers are somewhat academic, Meyerowitz-Katz says. “It’s not like we don’t know what a really bad situation could look like.” But they are still valuable for communicating the situation to a public that is straining under social-distancing rules.

Part of the problem with communicating the true death rate is that COVID-19 fatalities have been especially challenging to track in a timely manner.

Registering that a death has occurred and determining its cause are two basic functions of public health. Even in situations less chaotic and slower-moving than COVID-19, it can take several days for state officials to receive notification of a death. States then forward their data to the CDC's National Center for Health Statistics, where the death and its cause are logged.

Due to the significance of the COVID-19 pandemic, the CDC has added an extra step in which the agency uses humans instead of computers to verify the information on the death certificate before they formally add it to their tally.

Although the CDC has gotten much faster at performing this task since March, it is still taking around a week to formally record a coronavirus death, says Kirk Bol, manager of the Vital Statistics Program at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

This bureaucratic delay exists on top of the natural biological processes of illness, says Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. If someone is infected with the coronavirus today, they generally won’t start to show symptoms for four to five days, on average, but it could take up to two weeks.

This bureaucratic delay exists on top of the natural biological processes of illness, says Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. If someone is infected with the coronavirus today, they generally won’t start to show symptoms for four to five days, on average, but it could take up to two weeks.

In addition, age may factor in the current death lag. More young people under 35 are becoming infected now compared to the last few months of the pandemic, and these individuals are less likely to die than their elderly counterparts.

What concerns University of South Florida epidemiologist Jill Roberts isn’t just the growing number of infections in young people, but also the fact that they are likely to pass the virus to their older, more vulnerable contacts.

In a June 19 survey of 4,042 adults, the CDC found that 43.1 percent of those ages 18 to 29 said they would feel safe if social-distancing orders were lifted, compared to 19.2 percent of those over 65. Roberts and Nuzzo also note that workers in the hospitality industry have traditionally been younger, and as those businesses have re-opened, workers may no longer be able to self-isolate.

“We have to target these young people. They're the ones that are moving around. They're the ones that are spreading disease,” says Roberts.

Although younger people continue to be at a lower risk of dying of coronavirus, many will require hospitalization at a time when these facilities are already overwhelmed with their older counterparts.

Back in March, adults under 50 made up a quarter of all hospitalizations in the U.S., but this share has increased by 10 percent since the beginning of May, when re-openings started.

“But the more people that need hospital beds, the harder it is to deliver quality care,” Nuzzo says. “And all of the clinical workers have been working nonstop for a really long time.”

So, the latest run on medical centers may potentially increase mortality rates for all age groups. What all of this means, says Scott of UT Austin, is that it’s likely only a matter of time until the death rate begins to rise rapidly.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/07/coronavirus-deadlier-than-many-believed-infection-fatality-rate-cvd/

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You get a 12 week scan and a 20 week scan when you can find out what your having. 

If there are any other issues with the pregnancy then you will often get more than the 2 to make sure there are no problems. 

For example, my wife had blood clots so needed to inject blood thinners. She needed more scans to make sure it wasn't causing any problems with the pregnancy. 

That’s certainly good care.

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

This makes no sense. If you know someone who was run over and killed by a car that's certainly one way to die, but it's not infectious. If you know someone who died of cancer same again, that will do it, but it wont take anyone else with them.

There is a massive difference when we're talking a highly infectious disease than can and does kill. It has to be acknowledged that the entire world hasn't shut down on a mindless whim against the wishes of the politicians like Trump some of whom tried to brush it off much as you appear to be.

AlimOzturk
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good point.

l only know of 1 person who had the virus and is back at work.

I know of 3 people who have died of non related Covid-19 since the outbreak.

Have played at 6 funereal since the start of Coronavirus. 4 people I know and two were paid gigs. 

1 - young lassie, 27 developed a blood cut after pregnancy. 

2 - 34 year old guy died from serositis of the liver. 

3 - 46 year old guy- heart attack

4 - 70 odd year old - brain hemorrhage. 

The other two I couldn't tell you how they died but they were older people. This is the reason I have little fear of Covid 19 because, as morbid as it may sound there are a million and one ways to die. This just happens to dominate the media ATM so have no choice but to think about it. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have played at 6 funereal since the start of Coronavirus. 4 people I know and two were paid gigs. 

1 - young lassie, 27 developed a blood cut after pregnancy. 

2 - 34 year old guy died from serositis of the liver. 

3 - 46 year old guy- heart attack

4 - 70 odd year old - brain hemorrhage. 

The other two I couldn't tell you how they died but they were older people. This is the reason I have little fear of Covid 19 because, as morbid as it may sound there are a million and one ways to die. This just happens to dominate the media ATM so have no choice but to think about it. 

It’s still

a taboo topic about women dying giving birth . Sadly it happens frequently . 

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

That’s certainly good care.

Couldn't ask for better care mate. Nursing staff and maternity wards are just incredible and you can tell they are completely devoted and passionate about their job. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

Couldn't ask for better care mate. Nursing staff and maternity wards are just incredible and you can tell they are completely devoted and passionate about their job. 

Good to hear.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic