Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

All roads lead to Gorgie
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Coronavirus is now confirmed as airborne. It moves around in small droplets in the air and it looks like live gigs and football are a gonna until the vaccine or cure appears. Pubs won't be open long either, by the sound of things. 

Don't blame me, blame the 200 top scientists who have put their name to these findings and have now openly criticised The World Health Organisation. 

It makes you wonder if we are lucky in a way to live in a windy country like Scotland where outdoor events including football, gigs and beer gardens at least should be safer, as you would imagine with the air flowing more rapidly the viral droplets wouldn't hang around for long. It seemed to be spreading here quicker when we had that long spell of calm weather in the springtime, although that was more than likely due to lockdown being delayed too long beforehand and people not taking it seriously enough when it came in.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

It makes you wonder if we are lucky in a way to live in a windy country like Scotland where outdoor events including football, gigs and beer gardens at least should be safer, as you would imagine with the air flowing more rapidly the viral droplets wouldn't hang around for long. It seemed to be spreading here quicker when we had that long spell of calm weather in the springtime, although that was more than likely due to lockdown being delayed too long beforehand and people not taking it seriously enough when it came in.

Surely if they feel it is now spread  like that  then it should be virulent in the population ? Sounds another scare story / fear factor to me yet again to get our anxiety levels sky high

46 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If that's the case and considering a vaccine is highly unlikely it is possible we may need to return to normal and just accept Covid is there and live with it. 

That's been my view for some months now, there is no way to ever get back to pre covid 'normality'. This plague is here to stay and even with a vaccine we're just going to have to get used to living and dying with it.

How that's to be accomplished I have no idea. I think we're going to be hit by non stop waves of it overwhelming our medical infrastructure. 

1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Folk not wearing masks just now wont suddenly take it up on the tenth.Just like certain folk ( im not talking medical conditions ) dont wear them now on buses those same folk wont wear them nipping to the shops.Its another of these measures that needs public uptake as its impossible to really enforce it.

That’s correct and has been the case regarding guidelines since this all started. If people choose to wear them from the date Nicola says we should then I don’t see why the should be condemned or looked down on.  It is strange that you can put a date on this so far into it though but I guess Nicola loves to look like she is doing something different from England. 

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

That's been my view for some months now, there is no way to ever get back to pre covid 'normality'. This plague is here to stay and even with a vaccine we're just going to have to get used to living and dying with it.

How that's to be accomplished I have no idea. I think we're going to be hit by non stop waves of it overwhelming our medical infrastructure. 

We should also remember that the common cold is believed to have killed its first victims. Its possible the longer we live with Covid the more resilient we will become and the less deadly it will be.

So we've gone from masks look stupid, do nothing and the WHO agree, to the government are wrong and we should listen to the WHO, to the government and the WHO are right about masks now, to the few hundred scientists are right and the WHO are wrong but still right about masks?

It's almost as though, nobody really knows and we should stay inside and/or avoid being around other people if we really don't want to catch it or go back to some semblance of normality if we are happy with the risk.

Whilst I really enjoyed my pub lunch on Sunday, I could quite easily go back to it not being an option again. 

Just now, Ainsley Harriott said:

We should also remember that the common cold is believed to have killed its first victims. Its possible the longer we live with Covid the more resilient we will become and the less deadly it will be.

That thought also crossed my mind. But we're likely talking generations to develop such a resistance. My current greatest fear is the virus mutating into an even deadlier strain.

All roads lead to Gorgie
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Surely if they feel it is now spread  like that  then it should be virulent in the population ? Sounds another scare story / fear factor to me yet again to get our anxiety levels sky high

You would think that would be the case but maybe it is with millions of asymptomatic undetected cases. I switch from optimism to gloom and doom from day to day, often both in the same day. Better to not get too carried away with what seems better news or let the scare stories bring us down I suppose.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Well that’s certainly cheered me up.

Francis Albert
38 minutes ago, kila said:

Are you wearing a mask Franny?

No but I think the risk of the virus being spread via my computer screen is low.

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

That thought also crossed my mind. But we're likely talking generations to develop such a resistance. My current greatest fear is the virus mutating into an even deadlier strain.

I have a relative who's a research scientist (they got the brains). Anyway she says that a virus in theory wants to become less deadly as it improves its chances of spreading. If it kills its carrier it gets less opportunity to reproduce. 

Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

Well that’s certainly cheered me up.

It's a grim visage, no doubting that, reality is unfortunately often grim. But as I said, I simply see no way out of this. It's all the harder to swallow because we're a generation who though we had largely conquered nature, disease.

We're simply being reintroduced to what was hard reality for our grandparents and all generations before them.

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I have a relative who's a research scientist (they got the brains). Anyway she says that a virus in theory wants to become less deadly as it improves its chances of spreading. If it kills its carrier it gets less opportunity to reproduce. 

Fine as she says 'in theory'. But in theory does it matter to the virus if it kills it's carrier after that carrier has already spread it to others who are in turn spreading it even further? That's the problem with this thing.

It's already mutated and they say the current strain isn't more deadly but it is more infectious than the previous strain. It wont matter if it kills even 10% of those it infects. It will continue circulating, reproducing.

And consider this. It's at least 10 times more fatal than flu and we get flu year after year. You have had it more than once in your life right? What if you get a virus ten times deadlier on multiple occasions? What are the chances one of those occasions will eventually kill you?

Ainsley Harriott
1 minute ago, JFK-1 said:

Fine as she says 'in theory'. But in theory does it matter to the virus if it kills it's carrier after that carrier has already spread it to others who are in turn spreading it even further? That's the problem with this thing.

It's already mutated and they say the current strain isn't more deadly but it is more infectious than the previous strain. It wont matter if it kills even 10% of those it infects. It will continue circulating, reproducing.

And consider this. It's at least 10 times more fatal than flu and we get flu year after year. You have had it more than once in your life right? What if you get a virus ten times deadlier on multiple occasions? What are the chances one of those occasions will eventually kill you?

Covid doesn't kill anything like 10% of people it infects probably less than 1%. As they say you got to die of something.

2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Covid doesn't kill anything like 10% of people it infects probably less than 1%. As they say you got to die of something.

I didn't say it kills 10%. I said what would it matter to the future of the virus even if it did. And 1% fatality rate is ten times deadlier than flu.

Ainsley Harriott
2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I didn't say it kills 10%. I said what would it matter to the future of the virus even if it did. And 1% fatality rate is ten times deadlier than flu.

The covid death rate is probably similar to flu however we dont know as the authorities have only tested a handful of people and the people tested are the ones in hospital and therefore most likely to die.

1 minute ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

The covid death rate is probably similar to flu however we dont know as the authorities have only tested a handful of people and the people tested are the ones in hospital and therefore most likely to die.

The death rate is nothing like flu. You seriously think the world would have shut down for something no different from flu?

Is COVID-19 more deadly than the flu?

It's a lot more deadly, concludes a new study by the University of Washington published May 7 in the journal Health Affairs. The study's results also project a grim future if the U.S. doesn't put up a strong fight against the spread of the virus.

The national rate of death among people infected with the novel coronavirus -- SARS-CoV-2 -- that causes COVID-19 and who show symptoms is 1.3%, the study found. The comparable rate of death for the seasonal flu is 0.1%.

"COVID-19 infection is deadlier than flu -- we can put that debate to rest," said study author Anirban Basu, professor of health economics and Stergachis Family Endowed Director of the CHOICE Institute at the UW School of Pharmacy.

FULL ARTICLE

13 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

The death rate is nothing like flu. You seriously think the world would have shut down for something no different from flu?

There is a flu vaccine though. You need to compare the death rate of Covid-19 with the flu when it was first discovered to say it is X or Y times more deadly. 

I'm not saying it isn't, but you're comparing apples with oranges and stating it as a certainty.

The article you posted above also only takes into account those who show symptoms of Covid-19. Given we believe many who get it are asymptomatic, then it isn't a good comparison.

Edited by Taffin

Governor Tarkin
41 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

My current greatest fear is the virus mutating into an even deadlier strain.

My current greatest fear is a Russio-Chinese world order. But there you go.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

My current greatest fear is a Russio-Chinese world order. But there you go.

My greatest fear is a nuclear winter.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I see mask shaming is the new curtain twitching.

Seems to be to be. 

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Will people who work in offices still be required to wear face masks?

I would expect so. For me the question is, how many people will be working in Offices?

3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Probably brought about by the aforementioned war.

10 minutes ago, Taffin said:

There is a flu vaccine though. You need to compare the death rate of Covid-19 with the flu when it was first discovered to say it is X or Y times more deadly. 

I'm not saying it isn't, but you're comparing apples with oranges and stating it as a certainty.

The article you posted above also only takes into account those who show symptoms of Covid-19. Given we believe many who get it are asymptomatic, then it isn't a good comparison.

I'm stating nothing as a certainty aside from the fact this thing isn't going to be disappearing after Trump waves his magic virus disappear wand. And I wont be expecting a vaccine to save us. I hope it can but until I see evidence it can I don't expect it.

We have had flu vaccines for decades and the effectiveness rate fluctuates on average from as little as 10% to at best around 60% effective.

That's going to be a lot of dead people perhaps all year round even if we got the best flu like efficacy rate. Reportedly covid-19 is considerably more infectious than flu and takes longer to show symptoms further assisting the spread.

Hopefully a miracle comes along like Trump said it would, but I wont be banking on miracles as a plan A.

JudyJudyJudy
54 minutes ago, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

You would think that would be the case but maybe it is with millions of asymptomatic undetected cases. I switch from optimism to gloom and doom from day to day, often both in the same day. Better to not get too carried away with what seems better news or let the scare stories bring us down I suppose.

Well if there are millions of asymptomatic cases that means the virus isn’t as deadly as some claims it to be ? 

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

If that's the case and considering a vaccine is highly unlikely it is possible we may need to return to normal and just accept Covid is there and die with it. 

FTFY. ☹️

coconut doug
53 minutes ago, Dazo said:

That’s correct and has been the case regarding guidelines since this all started. If people choose to wear them from the date Nicola says we should then I don’t see why the should be condemned or looked down on.  It is strange that you can put a date on this so far into it though but I guess Nicola loves to look like she is doing something different from England. 

Consider that the incidence of Covid is tiny in Scotland now and still significant in England. 

Accept that the clinical advice comes from the "experts" and not Nicola.

Realise that lockdown is at least partially over and that our most effective means of suppressing the virus is gone too.  

Ponder that when social contact is significantly increased the potential for increased transmission of the virus is also increased.

You might then understand the strategy.

The Real Maroonblood
7 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

I would expect so. For me the question is, how many people will be working in Offices?

I was looking it up and it’s just saying shops but I presume it means all indoor places.

vegas-voss
59 minutes ago, Taffin said:

So we've gone from masks look stupid, do nothing and the WHO agree, to the government are wrong and we should listen to the WHO, to the government and the WHO are right about masks now, to the few hundred scientists are right and the WHO are wrong but still right about masks?

It's almost as though, nobody really knows and we should stay inside and/or avoid being around other people if we really don't want to catch it or go back to some semblance of normality if we are happy with the risk.

Whilst I really enjoyed my pub lunch on Sunday, I could quite easily go back to it not being an option again. 

Im going to say the government didnt advise using masks simply because of supply.Thats my theory anyway

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I was looking it up and it’s just saying shops but I presume it means all indoor places.

I would hope so

2 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Consider that the incidence of Covid is tiny in Scotland now and still significant in England. 

Accept that the clinical advice comes from the "experts" and not Nicola.

Realise that lockdown is at least partially over and that our most effective means of suppressing the virus is gone too.  

Ponder that when social contact is significantly increased the potential for increased transmission of the virus is also increased.

You might then understand the strategy.

Clinical advice depending on which expert you choose to believe. Start wearing masks a week after the shops open. Aye makes perfect expert advice. 😂

Doesn’t  bother me I always carry masks a gloves and have done from the start whenever I’m out anyway, I just think she likes to be different. 

Thanks the expert advice though. 👍

Ainsley Harriott
22 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Will people who work in offices still be required to wear face masks?

I'm just trying to work out how we will wear bear masks to pubs. Will I have to let the drink soak through 

3 hours ago, frankblack said:

I do give a shit because you only get the benefit of wearing the mask in a confined space like public transport or a shop if everyone is doing the same.

Masks are there to stop the droplets getting out but not guarantee preventing keeping them from getting in.

I'm wearing a mask. People are gonna be people. I cant change that and I'm not going to get aggro with someone who isnt. 

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Don't need to worry about that, mate, you'll be vapourised in the atomic fireball long before the nuclear winter, and thats if the covid doesn't get to you first. 👍

JudyJudyJudy

Bit depressing on this today !  I was feeling quite optimistic before reading some of these comments ! Was thinking of going to a beer garden tomorrow night , but I might pass on it ! The hell I will ! We need to live with the virus not live in fear of it . 

7 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Bit depressing on this today !  I was feeling quite optimistic before reading some of these comments ! Was thinking of going to a beer garden tomorrow night , but I might pass on it ! The hell I will ! We need to live with the virus not live in fear of it . 

Ha Ha, I know what you mean. Go to a beer garden but if it doesn't feel safe move on. I kept doing that on Sunday and I've just about got over the hangover 🙁

12 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

After a few pints you'll not give the virus a second thought.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, SE16 3LN said:

Ha Ha, I know what you mean. Go to a beer garden but if it doesn't feel safe move on. I kept doing that on Sunday and I've just about got over the hangover 🙁

lol. Yeah i will do and as you say if i dont feel safe i will leave.I'mm not a tree . oh these two day hangovers are a sign of aging. I get them too. ! 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, Lemongrab said:

LOL thats true 

The Real Maroonblood
33 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm just trying to work out how we will wear bear masks to pubs. Will I have to let the drink soak through 

At least it should last longer.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

This.

8 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

This.

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, The Real Maroonblood said:

This.

This.

Can i ask a stupid question ?  When you said " This" does it mean its a positive response ( agreement) or negative? Ive seen loads of people use this..pardon the pun 

Governor Tarkin
9 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

Correct. 👍

Just keep the heid and everythin will be dandy.

27 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Don't need to worry about that, mate, you'll be vapourised in the atomic fireball long before the nuclear winter, and thats if the covid doesn't get to you first. 👍

I've got my nuclear bunker for the fireball and a mask (sock with some string attached to it) for covid so I fully expect to see the nuclear winter...I just hope the others who survive aren't selfish and also wear masks whilst we battle for the last remaining resources 😂

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm stating nothing as a certainty aside from the fact this thing isn't going to be disappearing after Trump waves his magic virus disappear wand. And I wont be expecting a vaccine to save us. I hope it can but until I see evidence it can I don't expect it.

We have had flu vaccines for decades and the effectiveness rate fluctuates on average from as little as 10% to at best around 60% effective.

That's going to be a lot of dead people perhaps all year round even if we got the best flu like efficacy rate. Reportedly covid-19 is considerably more infectious than flu and takes longer to show symptoms further assisting the spread.

Hopefully a miracle comes along like Trump said it would, but I wont be banking on miracles as a plan A.

You said "It's at least 10 times more fatal than flu" which reads as a statement of fact/certainty.

You, I or anyone else simply does not know that yet and the article you posted is measuring it in a very skewed fashion by disgarding anyone who is asymptomatic. It may very well prove correct but it isn't helpful to make statements like that at this stage with the lack of comparison, imo of course.

Edited by Taffin

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I've got my nuclear bunker for the fireball and a mask (sock with some string attached to it) for covid so I fully expect to see the nuclear winter...I just hope the others who survive aren't selfish and also wear masks whilst we battle for the last remaining resources 😂

Never had you pegged as a prepper, Taffin.

Good luck, buddy, see you on the other side. 👍

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Clinical advice depending on which expert you choose to believe. Start wearing masks a week after the shops open. Aye makes perfect expert advice. 😂

Doesn’t  bother me I always carry masks a gloves and have done from the start whenever I’m out anyway, I just think she likes to be different. 

Thanks the expert advice though. 👍

Most countries are saying to wear masks. How is Sturgeon being different by doing the same?

People have been told to wear them since April. This isn't a new thing. 

Edited by Ray Gin

The Real Maroonblood
54 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Can i ask a stupid question ?  When you said " This" does it mean its a positive response ( agreement) or negative? Ive seen loads of people use this..pardon the pun 

Positive mate.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic