Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Francis Albert
2 hours ago, Natural Orders said:

Coronavirus: Don't leave home without a face covering, says science body https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53316491

Not wearing a face covering should be regarded as "anti-social" in the same way as drink driving or failing to wear a seatbelt, Prof Ramakrishnan said.
"Not doing so increases the risk for everyone, from NHS workers to your grandmother," he said.

Another day another expert.

The report confirms that just like the appropriate distance for social distancing there is no scientific consensus on when to wear facemasks. Even the expert view you quote is unclear as to what exactly his advice is.  You should not leave home without "carrying" a face mask not that you should not leave whom without wearing one. It is consistent with the long standing advice that should wear one where social distancing cannot be achieved or is likely to be difficult (eg in shops and on public transport) so it is basically nothing new.

(At the risk of being accused of being facetious, the concern about my grandmothers is new. But it comes a bit late - they have been dead for more than 30 years).

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

vegas-voss
23 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned but was on 5Live and Radio Scotland yesterday it is being recognised that folk that had mild symptons are now having breathing difficulties, breathlessness which in some cases will end up permanent lung and other organ damage.

I suppose medium term to long term we only really have Sweden and America to compare against for a form of herd immunity v. eradication approach.

NB - hadn't realised there had been 30k extra care home deaths in England for last 3 month reported (again 5L a few moments ago)

Study in Spain has said that herd immunity is not going to be a thing as only 5% in the study developed antibodies.Dont think other countries aren't looking into all possibilities and solutions cause they are and i include the UK in this.Science is looking for a way to to rid us of this snd governments are looking for a way to get us back to as safe a working way as possible.

vegas-voss
12 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

No significant anti bodies and permanent damage for even some folk that catch it mildly.

Great.

Aye was a report in China  month or so  ago now that said milder symptoms could cause a longer more chronic effect over time.

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

To be fair that shows its working and they are being responsible.

It is, but try running a business when potentially you might need to shut your doors every few weeks for a week or so.

Not viable in the long term, as many pubs/restaurants won't be able to operate like that.

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

vegas-voss
17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Another day another expert.

The report confirms that just like the appropriate distance for social distancing there is no scientific consensus on when to wear facemasks. Even the expert view you quote is unclear as to what exactly his advice is.  You should not leave home without "carrying" a face mask not that you should not leave whom without wearing one. It is consistent with the long standing advice that should wear one where social distancing cannot be achieved or is likely to be difficult (eg in shops and on public transport) so it is basically nothing new.

(At the risk of being accused of being facetious, the concern about my grandmothers is new. But it comes a bit late - they have been dead for more than 30 years).

Is it not better to take a more cautious approach that can bring back some normality to life though.I mean these Asia countries seem to be able to go about normal lives wearing masks so why cant we ?

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Aye was a report in China  month or so  ago now that said milder symptoms could cause a longer more chronic effect over time.

In fairness the prof from Dundee University said that with new respiratory viruses, there is often is long term damage.

This is just a super highly infectious beast.

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It is, but try running a business when potentially you might need to shut your doors every few weeks for a week or so.

Not viable in the long term, as many pubs/restaurants won't be able to operate like that.

Aye true and there was an owner on the news this morning that said despite the Super Saturday slogan numbers where quite underwhelming and that they would need to build trust before numbers came back to normal.Not all will be able to cope i would expect.So its really not a case of open the pubs everything will be alright

Jambo 4 Ever
2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Is it not better to take a more cautious approach that can bring back some normality to life though.I mean these Asia countries seem to be able to go about normal lives wearing masks so why cant we ?

Exactly 

some people are just not mature enough 

vegas-voss
1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

In fairness the prof from Dundee University said that with new respiratory viruses, there is often is long term damage.

So much unkown and still to be discovered its scary how folk just think everything is alright and great again.Careful and sensible should still very much be the approach while trying to bring in as much normality as possible.

vegas-voss
2 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Exactly 

some people are just not mature enough 

Seems to be a strange divide during the day i see bus loads wearing the mask.At night when i get the bus very few are wearing them.

By night i mean after 7pm

Jambo 4 Ever
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Seems to be a strange divide during the day i see bus loads wearing the mask.At night when i get the bus very few are wearing them.

By night i mean after 7pm

All the selfish twits come out at night 😂

34 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

No significant anti bodies and permanent damage for even some folk that catch it mildly.

Great.

Let's open the pubs!

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Of course we should be cautious but bringing back a semblance of normality inevitably brings some risk. As I have posted before new cases in my area are running at 2 a day for a population of 350,000 so I feel wearing a face mask to walk down the street is taking caution to frankly ridiculous lengths. And I am sceptical (seeing how many people wear them) about  the efficacy of face masks in real life as opposed to in "laboratory" conditions will be. But I am going to a garage with my car today and will take a face mask with me for that visit and for the bus home. I plan to have my first drink in a pub since before lockdown but drinking while wearing a face mask seems problematic … taking the things on and off frequently means they are no longer of much use.

So caution yes but not exaggerated fears and selective treatment of the " facts" such as they are.

Francis Albert
47 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

It is not in fact highly infectious compared to other viruses.

Governor Tarkin
48 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Let's open the pubs!

Thoroughly enjoyed my couple of pints last night, Ray, and by and large most folk were behaving themselves.

What I would say is that the reduced opening hours are absolutely essential. I left before the 8pm last orders but things were starting to liven up by that point. Hopefully this was a wee bit of steam being blown off on the first day of opening and things calm down.

One other thing, you've no idea how much you miss folk and the utterly chronic patter and laughs and that you have until you see them again after a period of enforced absence. I'm in a MUCH happier place today than I have been in a while, and I'm sure many others will be the same. Think I'll leave it a couple of weeks before I go back, though.

The Real Maroonblood
12 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Thoroughly enjoyed my couple of pints last night, Ray, and by and large most folk were behaving themselves.

What I would say is that the reduced opening hours are absolutely essential. I left before the 8pm last orders but things were starting to liven up by that point. Hopefully this was a wee bit of steam being blown off on the first day of opening and things calm down.

One other thing, you've no idea how much you miss folk and the utterly chronic patter and laughs and that you have until you see them again after a period of enforced absence. I'm in a MUCH happier place today than I have been in a while, and I'm sure many others will be the same. Think I'll leave it a couple of weeks before I go back, though.

That’s a great post particularly the last paragraph.

19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

But does 'behaving themselves' equate to managing to stay 1 metre away from people outwith their household? Not from what I've seen in photos/videos (and it should really be 2m in Scotland).

I've enjoyed being able to see friends and play golf again, and dread the possibility of us going back into stricter lockdown because drunk people can't socially distance.

Edited by Ray Gin

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

But does 'behaving themselves' equate to managing to stay 1 metre away from people outwith their household? Not from what I've seen in photos/videos (and it should really be 2m in Scotland).

I've enjoyed being able to see friends and play golf again, and dread the possibility of us going back into stricter lockdown because drunk people can't socially distance.

1 meter was pribably what I witnessed, certainly not 2m. If everyone is deid in a fortnight we'll know we ****ed up.

Glad you've enjoyed your golf and that. Whatever turns you on I suppose.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

To be fair that shows its working and they are being responsible.

Yep.  But today on this is very gloom and doom I noticed.  Worse than usual.  Jezz we have only had 6 deaths in the last week and half. 

JudyJudyJudy
40 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Great to hear. 

Governor Tarkin
13 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

Very little chance of herd immunity being possible according to a Spanish study. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

Very little chance of incessant internet pessimism protecting you from the Covid Aids either according to a made up study. 

https://cheerupyoukents.com/alldoomed/pintsaregreat=true

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Yep.  But today on this is very gloom and doom I noticed.  Worse than usual.  Jezz we have only had 6 deaths in the last week and half. 

Still 6 too many, James, but your first point stands.

All roads lead to Gorgie
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

It is not in fact highly infectious compared to other viruses.

The danger lies more in how undercover it is. Easy to know when you have a cold or flu and easier to avoid others showing symptoms, not with this virus.

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Very little chance of incessant internet pessimism protecting you from the Covid Aids either according to a made up study. 

https://cheerupyoukents.com/alldoomed/pintsaregreat=true

Still 6 too many, James, but your first point stands.

Yes I should have said 6 too many. 

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, Francis Albert said:

Of course we should be cautious but bringing back a semblance of normality inevitably brings some risk. As I have posted before new cases in my area are running at 2 a day for a population of 350,000 so I feel wearing a face mask to walk down the street is taking caution to frankly ridiculous lengths. And I am sceptical (seeing how many people wear them) about  the efficacy of face masks in real life as opposed to in "laboratory" conditions will be. But I am going to a garage with my car today and will take a face mask with me for that visit and for the bus home. I plan to have my first drink in a pub since before lockdown but drinking while wearing a face mask seems problematic … taking the things on and off frequently means they are no longer of much use.

So caution yes but not exaggerated fears and selective treatment of the " facts" such as they are.

Sounds like you are going about things the right way to me

Shanks said no
17 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Coronavirus: Tom Hanks 'has no respect' for people not wearing masks https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53318653

You are on a crusade here.

used the bus for the first time since March yesterday, a beer garden required my presence.  I was surprised that 25-50% of passengers were unmasked. 

Its the longest I have had a mask on, about 25 minutes and was an unpleasant experience.

Jambo 4 Ever
17 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

used the bus for the first time since March yesterday, a beer garden required my presence.  I was surprised that 25-50% of passengers were unmasked. 

Its the longest I have had a mask on, about 25 minutes and was an unpleasant experience.

Good on you for wearing one and shame on those selfish idiots who didn’t!

davemclaren
2 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Lucky we don’t have many hot days in this country. Friends abroad, with more rigorous enforcement, say it’s very uncomfortable in the heat, even with air conditioning in buses and shops. 

Jambo-Jimbo
22 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

You should have done your civic duty and took pictures of them and asked for their names and addresses so as to pass it onto the relevant authorities.

My local store is getting worse each time I go in.

Hardly anybody wearing a mask, one-way system totally ignored, folk generally just milling about in close quarters like a horde of feckin zombies.

:seething:

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Cade said:

Hardly anybody wearing a mask, one-way system totally ignored, folk generally just milling about in close quarters like a horde of feckin zombies.

I’m sure it’s got worse since it was announced that it would be mandatory.

You’re not telling me what to do attitude.

vegas-voss
26 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure it’s got worse since it was announced that it would be mandatory.

You’re not telling me what to do attitude.

I think local stores are worse for it than supermarkets.A case of im no putting a mask on im only nipping in for a minute i think.Also its not mandatory until tomorrow.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think local stores are worse for it than supermarkets.A case of im no putting a mask on im only nipping in for a minute i think.Also its not mandatory until tomorrow.

You’re probably right about I’m only nipping in for a minute.

It’s mandatory from Friday 10th.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

25-50%, was this a certain age group or across the board?

Jambo 4 Ever
47 minutes ago, Cade said:

Let’s hope fines start getting handed out from Friday 

1 hour ago, Cade said:

It's not mandatory until Friday. 

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

1 death today.

And a whopping two new infections, compare that to the 1st of May when we had 40 deaths and 430 new infections.

Much much better now.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

And a whopping two new infections, compare that to the 1st of May when we had 40 deaths and 430 new infections.

Much much better now.

👍

Francis Albert

As posted earlier I ventured out today by bus and to a pub for the first time since before lockdown with good intentions of wearing my mask where appropriate. The pub was fine - a busy town centre pub was virtually empty and we sat isolated by not one or two but by much more than  three metres from any other customer, hands sanitised and table served at some distance. Wearing a mask while drinking is plain silly and here unnecessary even if practicable..

Then I joined a bus queue, mask at the ready. I stood at a socially distanced 2 metres in the queue only to find the space in front of me immediately filled - and filled again and again  when I stood back … of course queuing is an outdated concept but it still works during the crisis in supermarkets banks and the rest. But not here, people apparently thinking face masks, even if only held around the neck in preparation for putting them on over-ride any social distancing requirement. When the bus arrived the usual herd raced forward en masse with not a thought for social distancing. Once uncomfortably seated my first experience of Coronavirus public transport suggested that imposing silence would be a first or at least as important a step as face masks. People shouted at each other through their face masks for the entire journey at one or two foot distances.

In the streets masks were worn at a generous estimate by one in twenty, many again just draped round their necks to be breathed over as they walked.. On the whole social distancing was observed except for groups pf youngsters gathering shoulder to shoulder on benches to eat their Macdonald takeaways. Without face masks obviously.

Edited by Francis Albert

I don't like wearing a face mask so

I have ordered a visor which hopefully arrives before Friday, I imagine I won't be breaking the law wearing a visor in shops 

Shanks said no
1 hour ago, OBE said:

25-50%, was this a certain age group or across the board?

Coming home there were day 10 on top deck, 3 youths, blokes about 30 and 50 didn’t have masks.

actually went to take snaps for @Natural Orders but mrs F told me to behave

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Coming home there were day 10 on top deck, 3 youths, blokes about 30 and 50 didn’t have masks.

Where's a Paul Kersey type when you need him.

AlimOzturk
8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Selfish twits.

Edited by AlimOzturk

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic