Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Went shopping for the first time today and was pleasantly surprised at how stress free and easy it all was.

Majority wearing masks too

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Tazio said:

More like Florence Nightingale. 

The Laddie with the Lamp?  :lol: 

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It's all theoretical stuff though. We're dealing with humans here not scientists.  Social distancing is not going to be possible long term ss things open up again and we start getting back to normal.  My local supermarket,  for instance, are removing the one way system next week 

1 metre isn't a theory, it's a distance. Any human should know roughly how far a metre is. Zero ****s are being given and it risks us all going back into a nightmare lockdown.

Enzo Chiefo
9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

1 metre isn't a theory, it's a distance. Any human should know roughly how far a metre is. Zero ****s are being given and it risks us all going back into a nightmare lockdown.

Yes, I agree it's desirable that people should stay 1 metre apart if possible. However,  it will be difficult and, as the situation eases, and people become more confident then it's going to be more and more difficult.  Hopefully,  at least, the additional hygiene practices will continue and pubs, coffee shops  continue to provide hand sanitiser stations. Using hand sanitiser when out and about was a good idea well before Covid and hopefully that continues.  

57 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep

They will have to bring the price down or go under. The government should maybe look at the tax/vat they charge these places to help. Edit to add, so long as they pass the discount onto the customers. 

They won't be able to afford it. I was back in St Andrew's today and it reminded me how many pubs will not be profitable. One of the larger ones is allowed no more than 35 people at a time. With a minimum of 6 members of staff. That's not sustainable in any way. There's a pub in Edinburgh that have been told their max capacity is 12 people. No chance that'll survive. 

There's going to be an utter wasteland of empty pubs all across the country. 

On the bus just now. Zero folk were wearing masks. 

Although I will say I know one of them had learning difficulties so they would be exempt. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, vegas-voss said:

Lets give the majority credit then as they have been low for quite some time now.

Exactly. Most people have earned their pint today if they have been out.

frankblack

The Scottish Government is introducing £60 fixed penalty notices for those on public transport or confined spaces without a mask.  Fines increase for repeat offenders.

When you get your fixed penalty notices, consider how much cheaper it would have been to wear a face covering?

Numbers so low in Scotland, it’s looking excellent up here now.  Folk deserve to get out and have a pint if they want, as long as folk are following the rules then it’s not really worth worrying about right now. 

AlimOzturk
5 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The Scottish Government is introducing £60 fixed penalty notices for those on public transport or confined spaces without a mask.  Fines increase for repeat offenders.

When you get your fixed penalty notices, consider how much cheaper it would have been to wear a face covering? 

Absolutely no way that holds up in court imo if challenged. 

Going to have police officers boarding buses, trains, supermarkets and other establishments dishing out fines? Doubtful. And how do they know folk don't have a genuine reason for not wearing a mask? 

Sounds like fear mongering imo

Edited by AlimOzturk

frankblack
11 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Absolutely no way that holds up in court imo if challenged.  

Actually it does.  It is the law.

Going to have police officers boarding buses, trains, supermarkets and other establishments dishing out fines? Doubtful. 

I think they will until the ****tards comply or stay at home.

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

They’ve been warned so hell mend them.

AlimOzturk
25 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Might be the law but this comes direct from the government website..

"where wearing a face covering would be inappropriate because it would cause difficulty, pain or severe distress or anxiety or because it cannot be worn in the proper manner safely"

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-2-staying-safe-and-protecting-others/pages/face-coverings/

Pretty much a get out clause for anyone who wishes to challenge the fine.

Causes me severe distress all they have to say

And pretty much why this is unenforceable. How do they know who can and can't wear a mask? The fine is just a scare tactic to make the public more compliant.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Might be the law but this comes direct from the government website..

"where wearing a face covering would be inappropriate because it would cause difficulty, pain or severe distress or anxiety or because it cannot be worn in the proper manner safely"

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-phase-2-staying-safe-and-protecting-others/pages/face-coverings/

Pretty much a get out clause for anyone who wishes to challenge the fine.

And pretty much why this is unenforceable. How do they know who can and can't wear a mask? The fine is just a scare tactic to make the public more compliant.

You said you've got a medical reason not to wear them, so what's the big drama about? You're not being forced to do shit if that's the case.

Samuel Camazzola

I'm sure all the major supermarkets stated they wouldn't be enforcing their staff to wear them or refusing entry to any customers who weren't wearing one. 

Edited by Samuel Camazzola

6 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

I'm sure all the major supermarkets stated they wouldn't be enforcing their staff to wear them or refusing entry to any customers who weren't wearing one. 

Well, they should  be.

AlimOzturk
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You said you've got a medical reason not to wear them, so what's the big drama about? You're not being forced to do shit if that's the case.

Well, I have never seen claustrophobia as medical disorder for myself. It hasn't ever prevented me from living my life. So I am not about to go to my doctor's and wasting their time for some sort of medical exemption. At the end of the day; it is what it is. I can't wear a mask. Would embarrass me trying to explain that to a bus driver or shop worker that If I wear a mask it would cause me to have a full blown meltdown in their shop.  So I'm not going to do it. But that's what it come down to. Folk having to explain their medical history at a shop door to gain access 

I have plenty other reasons to have a drama about this. Imagine being fined for refusing to put a peice of cloth over your face. I couldn't care how easy or not folk think it is that is. That is akin to a totalitarian police state.

Edited by AlimOzturk

AlimOzturk
6 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Well, they should  be.

Should they? Asking a bit much of shop workers and bus drivers to become bouncer's as well. Not to mention medical experts as they decide who and who isn't exempt from wearing one. Oh aii, they also have an actual job to do as well. 

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

Should they? Asking a bit much of shop workers and bus drivers to become bouncer's as well. Not to mention medical experts as they decide who and who isn't exempt from wearing one. Oh aii, they also have an actual job to do as well. 

Alim?

I’m not into having a slanging match with anyone on here.  And, definitely not with you, no reason to.

My point was, it’s working well here, it’s working well in Italy.  We put them on upon entering a shop, sanitise our hands at the door, do our shopping, and leave.  Off with the masks until the next shop.  It’s not really a big deal.

It’s more tedious having to do one’s hands all the time, than it is to pull up a mask for a wee while.

And, aye, I know they have a job to do.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

That’s good 

hopefully this will help convince the selfish twits who don’t wear it, to wear one!

and anyone I see not wearing one I will ask them too 

Jambo 4 Ever
22 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Alim?

I’m not into having a slanging match with anyone on here.  And, definitely not with you, no reason to.

My point was, it’s working well here, it’s working well in Italy.  We put them on upon entering a shop, sanitise our hands at the door, do our shopping, and leave.  Off with the masks until the next shop.  It’s not really a big deal.

It’s more tedious having to do one’s hands all the time, than it is to pull up a mask for a wee while.

And, aye, I know they have a job to do.

Some people are just too immature to understand 

Unknown user
38 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Well, I have never seen claustrophobia as medical disorder for myself. It hasn't ever prevented me from living my life. So I am not about to go to my doctor's and wasting their time for some sort of medical exemption. At the end of the day; it is what it is. I can't wear a mask. Would embarrass me trying to explain that to a bus driver or shop worker that If I wear a mask it would cause me to have a full blown meltdown in their shop.  So I'm not going to do it. But that's what it come down to. Folk having to explain their medical history at a shop door to gain access 

I have plenty other reasons to have a drama about this. Imagine being fined for refusing to put a peice of cloth over your face. I couldn't care how easy or not folk think it is that is. That is akin to a totalitarian police state.

No it isn't, it's nothing like a totalitarian police state any more than when nudists have to wear pants.

At the end of the day I do get it but seems to me like digging your heels in like this is only going to make the experience worse for yourself. Good luck to you.

Unknown user
17 minutes ago, Natural Orders said:

Some people are just too immature to understand 

Oh away back under your bridge 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Yep

They will have to bring the price down or go under. The government should maybe look at the tax/vat they charge these places to help. Edit to add, so long as they pass the discount onto the customers. 

I think the Scottish Government might be more inclined to raise home booze to pub prices. Given the scale of my visits to the recycling bottle bank since lockdown that would from a public health viewpoint might not be altogether a bad thing! But I would still prefer to have  drinks or at least some of them in a pub rather  than at home.

Edited by Francis Albert

Panorama just now.

If you think the UK Government has managed things well something else to think about. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

1 metre like 1.5 metres and 2 metres is a theory.  All have been advised by experts during the pandemic. Of course they are all distances.

5 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

1 metre like 1.5 metres and 2 metres is a theory.  All have been advised by experts during the pandemic. Of course they are all distances.

And have any experts recommended huddling together with a group of mates, barely 20cm apart? 

Francis Albert
4 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

And have any experts recommended huddling together with a group of mates, barely 20cm apart? 

Not yet. But experts have moved from 2 metres to 1 metre so far. 20cm would be a smaller step distance wise.

Edited by Francis Albert

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not yet. But experts have moved from 2 metres to 1 metre so far. 20cm would be a smaller step distance wise.

Actually experts don't recommend reducing to 1 metre, but the Tories did it in England anyway. 

Francis Albert
16 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Actually experts don't recommend reducing to 1 metre, but the Tories did it in England anyway. 

Which experts? There is no expert consensus on distancing. WHO for example  ( for what that is worth ) never recommended 2 metres and suggested 1 metre   and most countries went for 1 or 1.5 metres. As I said it is a theory about distances although as you said they are all undoubtedly distances.

4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Which experts? There is no expert consensus on distancing. WHO for example  ( for what that is worth ) never recommended 2 metres and suggested 1 metre   and most countries went for 1 or 1.5 metres. As I said it is a theory about distances although as you said they are all undoubtedly distances.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/jun/12/people-will-need-face-masks-if-2-metre-rule-relaxed-experts-warn

Jambo 4 Ever

Coronavirus: Don't leave home without a face covering, says science body https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53316491

“Not wearing a face covering should be regarded as "anti-social" in the same way as drink driving or failing to wear a seatbelt, Prof Ramakrishnan said.
"Not doing so increases the risk for everyone, from NHS workers to your grandmother," he said.”

100% agree

Edited by Natural Orders

Jambo 4 Ever

Coronavirus: Don't leave home without a face covering, says science body https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53316491

Not wearing a face covering should be regarded as "anti-social" in the same way as drink driving or failing to wear a seatbelt, Prof Ramakrishnan said.
"Not doing so increases the risk for everyone, from NHS workers to your grandmother," he said.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Natural Orders said:

“Not wearing a face covering should be regarded as "anti-social" in the same way as drink driving or failing to wear a seatbelt, Prof Ramakrishnan said.
"Not doing so increases the risk for everyone, from NHS workers to your grandmother," he said.”

100% agree

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/87120

Then you get several reports similar to this which reasons why many are confused and sceptical about the guidance being dished out. 

Салатные палочки

100% agree

Drink driving is anti-social? Absolute pish.

Absolutely ridiculous comparison. People who drink drive are the scum of the earth. People who don't wear a face mask are nothing compared to that. 

Melbourne has gone back into full lockdown and the border between Victoria and NSW being closed today.

This is due to 191 new cases (not deaths) being reported yesterday with 35 in hospital and 9 in intensive care.  Victoria's death toll is currently 22.  Victoria expects number of tests to reach 1 million soon.

So they are going into full lockdown.  Meanwhile UK government will no longer publish figures on how many people have been tested, the death toll number now becomes a sub-paragraph hidden in other news stories and everything is opening up in England like it's all back to normal.

Something's not right....and I don't think it's with Australia.

AlimOzturk

100% agree

Folk like you and that arsehole in this article won't be happy until folk are lynched for not wearing a mask. 

AlimOzturk
Just now, Gards said:

Melbourne has gone back into full lockdown and the border between Victoria and NSW being closed today.

This is due to 191 new cases (not deaths) being reported yesterday with 35 in hospital and 9 in intensive care.  Victoria's death toll is currently 22.  Victoria expects number of tests to reach 1 million soon.

So they are going into full lockdown.  Meanwhile UK government will no longer publish figures on how many people have been tested, the death toll number now becomes a sub-paragraph hidden in other news stories and everything is opening up in England like it's all back to normal.

Something's not right....and I don't think it's with Australia.

There was 16 deaths yesterday 350 new cases. The virus is well under control now and regional lockdowns where break outs of the virus will be common. The country in now in a position to move forward and that is what is happening. 

13 hours ago, The Brow said:

The last few posts on this thread.....

Genuinely hard to believe these are adults. 

Imagine the one-line retorts in a high pitched voice,  it's ***kin hilarious...:biggrin2:

1 minute ago, OBE said:

Imagine the one-line retorts in a high pitched voice,  it's ***kin hilarious...:biggrin2:

haha yes.

Its still going ffs. Folk getting offered out over a wee cloth mask that costs £2, and if you did just wear it, this would all be over a lot sooner. 

I hope none of them have kids that can read as this is cringe inducing. 

Samuel Camazzola
2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Folk like you and that arsehole in this article won't be happy until folk are lynched for not wearing a mask. 

The article could have contained any headline but they opted for that one. It includes a paragraph reading;

"There are mixed feelings among the experts on the government's scientific advisory group, SAGE, around the use of face coverings." 

For balance, they should have obtained a quote from one of the Professor's colleagues. 

What makes a mockery of the whole thing is that anyone can enter the same shops they've frequented for months today, tomorrow and the rest of the week without the need to wear a covering. From from one day next week, it's deemed mandatory. Poor and questionable leadership. 

10 hours ago, frankblack said:

Won’t be happening and it’s all a paper ticking exercise 

As I said yesterday I was on train going to work and more people never had masks on than those who did 

When I arrived into Glasgow there were police hanging around and they never said a word to the people not wearing a mask so what chance have the staff got 

frankblack
Just now, theshed said:

Won’t be happening and it’s all a paper ticking exercise 

As I said yesterday I was on train going to work and more people never had masks on than those who did 

When I arrived into Glasgow there were police hanging around and they never said a word to the people not wearing a mask so what chance have the staff got 

It is going to be enforced from the next few days, probably picking people at random until the hard of thinking get the message.  Fines start at £60 with repeat offenders facing nearly a grand.

:verysmug:

Francis Albert
50 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There was 16 deaths yesterday 350 new cases. The virus is well under control now and regional lockdowns where break outs of the virus will be common. The country in now in a position to move forward and that is what is happening. 

1700 people die every day of something other than Coronavirus. Average daily deaths annually  from seasonal flu run at about 50 despite wide vaccination.  At current rates more will be dying now from delayed cancer and other medical treatment than from Coronavirus. Of course we need to keep a close watch and act quickly if things change but a little perspective is surely needed in making decisions about what people should and should not do

Despite what a few posters have said everything is far from "back to normal"in England.

Edited by Francis Albert

Haven't seen it mentioned but was on 5Live and Radio Scotland yesterday it is being recognised that folk that had mild symptons are now having breathing difficulties, breathlessness which in some cases will end up permanent lung and other organ damage.

I suppose medium term to long term we only really have Sweden and America to compare against for a form of herd immunity v. eradication approach.

NB - hadn't realised there had been 30k extra care home deaths in England for last 3 month reported (again 5L a few moments ago)

Edited by DETTY29

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Haven't seen it mentioned but was on 5Live and Radio Scotland yesterday it is being recognised that folk that had mild symptons are now having breathing difficulties, breathlessness which in some cases will end up permanent lung and other organ damage.

I suppose medium term to long term we only really have Sweden and America to compare against for a form of herd community v. eradication approach.

NB - hadn't realised there had been 30k extra care home deaths in England for last 3 month reported (again 5L a few moments ago)

Not encouraging news from Spain about 'herd immunity'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53315983

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic