Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Walter Bishop
3 hours ago, Cade said:

In 2017, the NHS asked for a bigger stockpile of PPE.

Jeremy Hunt said no, it was a waste of money.

And that was that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/advice-on-protective-gear-for-nhs-staff-was-rejected-owing-to-cost

Most items of PPE have expiry dates, Id imagine masks, gloves etc bought in 2017 wouldnt be useful in 2020. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another predictable bumptious display by Adminlite. There's nae need to spear the arse out of every post, it's so ***king Hibs!

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Mac_fae_Gillie
5 hours ago, redjambo said:

Boris claimed to have shaken hands with coronavirus patients on 2 March, quite a while (UK crisis-wise) before the Government finally started advising us to social distance by 2m. Even with that, social distancing has remained advisory, not a legal requirement.

Only real advice at time was constant wash your hands, to be fair the spread is droplets touching your mouth/nose or eyes so shaking hands with half dozen patients then washing your own hands after was deemed fine. 

Unknown user
5 hours ago, graygo said:

They had their credit limit increased in case they needed extra equipment to work remotely, it can only be spent on equipment. It's not extra money for working from home.

It's not a credit limit, they don't have to pay any of it back, and unlike everyone else working at home they'll keep ownership of what they buy with their employers' money.

6 hours ago, graygo said:

They had their credit limit increased in case they needed extra equipment to work remotely, it can only be spent on equipment. It's not extra money for working from home.

Good job MPs don't have previous for fiddling expenses?

:)

7 hours ago, graygo said:

Charlie didn't know he had the virus when he went to Balmoral and in any case it was before the lockdown.

Why do folk make shite up.

ps. He's still a knob. 

Edited by Jambo Jim
Mistake

Just now, Jambo Jim said:

Sorry to be a pain but I take it you know Charlie and can vouch for him not having the virus when he went to his second home. He got a test quick enough right enough. If people are making things up the govt has a head start on me.

Governor Tarkin
8 hours ago, AlphonseCapone said:

It's not illegal to shake the hands of people with the cornavirus. It's utterly stupid but it's not illegal. He done this before the lockdown came into place so he wasn't breaking any rules on that front. 

I think we agree it was daft but unless you can produce something that suggests otherwise, it wasn't illegal. 

Folk don't like it when unwanted facts intrude into their ravings.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's not a credit limit, they don't have to pay any of it back, and unlike everyone else working at home they'll keep ownership of what they buy with their employers' money.

Bought a wee foldable desk and expensed it. Work were cool with that and paid out. Now that I'm furloughed on the Boris bucks it'll be a handy side table for this afternoon's barbie.

Win.

2 hours ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Only real advice at time was constant wash your hands, to be fair the spread is droplets touching your mouth/nose or eyes so shaking hands with half dozen patients then washing your own hands after was deemed fine. 

So the Chinese example of disinfecting streets and total lockdown had failed to register in Downing Street. You and I are suppose to take advice from this lot. Christ all mighty, sorry but we are on target to have the second highest death rate in the world. Why. A bunch of wankers in charge. 

The Internet
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Surely they must have some ideas on how to exit this. 

'they' are relying on the smart people coming up with a cure. That's their exit. Until then all 'they' can do is keep us isolated to stop it spreading and hope the numbers come down. 

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

So the Chinese example of disinfecting streets and total lockdown had failed to register in Downing Street. You and I are suppose to take advice from this lot. Christ all mighty, sorry but we are on target to have the second highest death rate in the world. Why. A bunch of wankers in charge. 

You should phone the Chinese Government and ask them for advice then, mate.

They've never been anything but 100% honest. 👍

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You should phone the Chinese Government and ask them for advice then, mate.

They've never been anything but 100% honest. 👍

Of course the British Govt are beyond reproach. I think some are missing the point. It’s about what we were aware of or what we should have been aware of. Either way we missed a trick. Why our death rate is so high needs to be investigated. I despair that many on this board seem to accept what’s on offer as excuses.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, Jambo Jim said:

Of course the British Govt are beyond reproach. I think some are missing the point. It’s about what we were aware of or what we should have been aware of. Either way we missed a trick. Why our death rate is so high needs to be investigated. I despair that many on this board seem to accept what’s on offer as excuses.

Things could've been done better, aye, but if folk are mad keen to start the finger pointing at this stage then it has to go in all sorts of directions.

The level of gross irresponsibility displayed by sections of the general public and some private employers has, and continues to be, staggering.

12 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

The high death rate just now in time of infection to being critical is still seemingly from the time things like the Cheltenham festival was allowed to take place. 

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

The high death rate just now in time of infection to being critical is still seemingly from the time things like the Cheltenham festival was allowed to take place. 

And quite probably the Liverpool v Athletico Madrid game on the 12 March could also have spread the virus.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

True, but I am not a medic but I came to the conclusion a long time back that with no vaccine this virus might be a game changer. I am not interested in the main about other nation strategies for dealing with this unless, like New Zealand, we could learn something. My gripe is simply that we as a nation have been lied too on an industrial scale. A blind man could see what was to come but the govt and the press pressed on regardless. Why as a rich country we are suffering horrendous rates of mortality needs an answer. Despite regular assurances from Mr Raab we still don’t have the basic equipment in place to deal with this. 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

Making it worse, lots of people didn’t miss a trick, there were a few on this board (myself included) who read and applied the data from abroad and predicted exactly what was needed and what eventually happened.. weeks and weeks too late.  We were all called pant welters btw not that I blame them given the nonsense being portrayed on the MSM. 

Meanwhile we were wasting time with the herd immunity shit, big crowds don’t matter nonsense , school led are not a problem garbage 🤦‍♂️ Not purchase ventilators and PPE with the rest of the EU because of brexit politics , when we were fanning about trying to get Dyson to build stuff.  

And the negligence continues  we STILL have c60 flights a day arriving from the USA into Heathrow and dispersing onto public transport with no quarantine Transport for London have now had what 14 dead? 14 bus divers all dead becuase of the politics and utter stupidity of this government.

Boris, Patrick Vallance, Witty, Hancock way al should be facing charges of criminal negligence.

Sturgeon has been a little better but even her and the dentist Jason Leitch got it wrong for too long. 

They have failed the people which has and will continue to lead to unnecessary deaths.

Jambo-Jimbo

South Korea reporting that 91 patients who had recovered from Covid-19, have now tested postitve again.

What is not known at this stage is whether they have been re-infected or the virus has reactivated itself.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21S15X

I know this has happened in other countires as well, Japan for sure and China I think, which means it isn't a one off fluke.

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Making it worse, lots of people didn’t miss a trick, there were a few on this board (myself included) who read and applied the data from abroad and predicted exactly what was needed and what eventually happened.. weeks and weeks too late.  We were all called pant welters btw not that I blame them given the nonsense being portrayed on the MSM. 

Meanwhile we were wasting time with the herd immunity shit, big crowds don’t matter nonsense , school led are not a problem garbage 🤦‍♂️ Not purchase ventilators and PPE with the rest of the EU because of brexit politics , when we were fanning about trying to get Dyson to build stuff.  

And the negligence continues  we STILL have c60 flights a day arriving from the USA into Heathrow and dispersing onto public transport with no quarantine Transport for London have now had what 14 dead? 14 bus divers all dead becuase of the politics and utter stupidity of this government.

Boris, Patrick Vallance, Witty, Hancock way al should be facing charges of criminal negligence.

Sturgeon has been a little better but even her and the dentist Jason Leitch got it wrong for too long. 

They have failed the people which has and will continue to lead to unnecessary deaths.

🙏

4 minutes ago, Jambo Jim said:

True, but I am not a medic but I came to the conclusion a long time back that with no vaccine this virus might be a game changer. I am not interested in the main about other nation strategies for dealing with this unless, like New Zealand, we could learn something. My gripe is simply that we as a nation have been lied too on an industrial scale. A blind man could see what was to come but the govt and the press pressed on regardless. Why as a rich country we are suffering horrendous rates of mortality needs an answer. Despite regular assurances from Mr Raab we still don’t have the basic equipment in place to deal with this. 

Are we? Nobody knows our rates of mortality

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

Are we? Nobody knows our rates of mortality

What we are aware off in terms of mortality is horrendous,  add to this the deaths in Care Homes, Prisons, other institution's and also deaths linked to c19 as a contributor then as a nation we should be appalled.

38 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Things could've been done better, aye, but if folk are mad keen to start the finger pointing at this stage then it has to go in all sorts of directions.

The level of gross irresponsibility displayed by sections of the general public and some private employers has, and continues to be, staggering.

Couldn’t agree more but at least some of the finger pointing towards private employers needs to also be aimed at the government. Apart from retail and hospitality industries they’ve pussyfooted around which businesses should be open. 

A comprehensive list of companies allowed to open should have been published and a helpline set up for all companies to check if they should open or not. It’s absolutely scandalous some of the companies still working. A disgrace. 

Edited by GinRummy

1 minute ago, Jambo Jim said:

What we are aware off in terms of mortality is horrendous,  add to this the deaths in Care Homes, Prisons, other institution's and also deaths linked to c19 as a contributor then as a nation we should be appalled.

But we've hardly tested so few people that we've literally no idea of our mortality rates.

Just now, Taffin said:

But we've hardly tested so few people that we've literally no idea of our mortality rates.

Makes it worse then.

10 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

This Government has scrimped on the NHS for years.They even applauded blocking a pay rise for nurses.

Sending Doctors and Nurses to work without the correct protective equipment while awarding themselves extra money for working from home is criminal

They are a shower of shite

It's baffling how can you get a 10k pay rise for staying in your house 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Bought a wee foldable desk and expensed it. Work were cool with that and paid out. Now that I'm furloughed on the Boris bucks it'll be a handy side table for this afternoon's barbie.

Win.

Big crowd round? 😇

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

'they' are relying on the smart people coming up with a cure. That's their exit. Until then all 'they' can do is keep us isolated to stop it spreading and hope the numbers come down. 

Hope? Hope! doesn't cut it anymore.

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Big crowd round? 😇

Me, Mrs T, Junior T, and a couple of squirrels, probably.

The smell of the food might tempt a fox or two also. They've been getting increasingly brazen of late and started venturing round for a scavenge during daylight hours. Mother and her cub.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The smell of the food might tempt a fox or two also. They've been getting increasingly brazen of late and started venturing round for a scavenge during daylight hours. Mother and her cub.

Sounds the place to be. Enjoy. 

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Usually they bolt, but a fox followed me and my Labrador two mornings in a row.

Edited by ri Alban

28 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's baffling how can you get a 10k pay rise for staying in your house 

Mate and his partner both work for same company.

Work lap tops (although othet employers have software you can down load safely on your own pc)

£30 each a month to cover costs of WFH (self employed can claim £6 per week, was £4

And no bus passes to pay.

So £170 a month better off.  Suppose they will see difference in utility costs to figure out.

Anyway back to politicians I wonder what they will need to the extent of 10k, especially as most of their homes and second homes will already be kitted out.

Edited by DETTY29

Governor Tarkin
1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Sounds the place to be. Enjoy. 

Will do, Dave, cheers. 👍

Hope you're keeping safe, mate.

How long do you think you have before Mrs Mclaren has had enough and changes the locks while you're out on a booze run to Tesco?

SectionDJambo

It’s obviously not the fault of the British government that this virus has spread around the world. Although, perhaps an early restriction on flights from badly infected countries would have helped.

However, they have been running the country for 10 years, so any weakness in the capacity of the NHS to deal with this has to be down to their management of the NHS. Nobody else to blame.

Of course it would be unreasonable to expect resources to be at such a level as to be constantly ready for such a pandemic as this, but surely we could have been at a much better starting point for dealing with it.

We were told by the PM, and others in his cabinet, not that long ago, that the NHS was fully ready and organised to cope. Clearly this wasn’t anything like the situation.

Now Hancock has said there’s no evidence to support that the deaths of some NHS workers could have been avoided by having the protective equipment they needed to safely do their great work.

Hopefully, after all this is past us, there will be a full, independent inquiry into how this country was prepared and responded to this, and give a full and truthful picture of what has to be done to have us better prepared next time.

skinnybob72

When the virus first started to move outwith China I remember thinking that it would come here eventually - with no idea what that would lead to.

If the Government had decided before the UK had it's first confirmed case that we were shutting shop, ie businesses closing down, all confined to barracks for an unknown period, how do you think that the public would have reacted? Even now with almost 1000 deaths in a single day a lot of people just don't get it and are still carrying on as if nothing was amiss! 

Undoubtedly mistakes have been made in terms of timing but this isn't something that there is a manual for. 

4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Mate and his partner both work for same company.

Work lap tops (although othet employers have software you can down load safely on your own pc)

£30 each a month to cover costs of WFH (self employed can claim £6 per week, was £4

And no bus passes to pay.

So £170 a month better off.  Suppose they will see difference in utility costs to figure out.

Anyway back to politicians I wonder what they will need to the extent of 10k, especially as most of their homes and second homes will already be kitted out.

Its £12.99 a month for an unlimited Zoom (video conferencing) subscription.

highlandjambo3
17 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

The powers that the police seem to have been given.  The loss of our freedom. The fact that what started out as "guidance" has now become law. These jumped up police chiefs holding press conferences telling us to be good little people this weekend or we will be arrested (Actually he said that that would be left to the discretion of individual police, something I'm not comfortable with). 

The whole thing worries me more than the virus. 

My wife works in ICU so she is at the actual front of the front line and, a cracking idea that all of the staff have came up with..........get the news tv crews to show the thousands of rubber body bags being shipped (snuck) in the back door of all our main hospitals.....being snuck in so as not to worry the poor we souls that flaunt the rules........ that would be an excellent reminder of where we are.

davemclaren
7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Will do, Dave, cheers. 👍

Hope you're keeping safe, mate.

How long do you think you have before Mrs Mclaren has had enough and changes the locks while you're out on a booze run to Tesco?

I’m scared to go into the garden in case she locks me out. 🥴

1 hour ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

The numbers will come down until the infection is in pockets and sporadic. It will never disappear altogether and will flare up from time to time. We're just going to have to live with it, like other viruses and diseases we have.

Governor Tarkin
2 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

It’s obviously not the fault of the British government that this virus has spread around the world. Although, perhaps an Now Hancock has said there’s no evidence to support that the deaths of some NHS workers could have been avoided by having the protective equipment they needed to safely do their great work.

My wee sis works in a privete Edinburgh care home. 

A fair portion of the staff are off in isolation, and another chunk have bailed on the grounds of self preservation (who can blame them). The ones that are left are pulling up to 14 hour shifts 7 days a week to cover the shortfall. As far as PPE goes they have a wee pinnie and masks they are having to re-use as there's **** all else.

She says when they come to pick up the bodies (3 dead so far) they arrive like that scene in the movie where they came to get E.T.

She is a single parent with a 3 year old boy and is ****ing terrified.

After the utter arsehole of a lassie she was as a teenager I couldn't be more proud. These people are absolute ****ing Jedi and are continuing to be let down.

heartgarfunkel
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Yes

highlandjambo3
19 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I’d stick with steak 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic