Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

12 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

The 35p is a ridiculous amount.  However the 10k is to purchase office equipment, it is not cash.

Not at all saying it is fair but do not think folk should think it is extra cash directly for them.

It is if you don't have to buy it.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Cade said:

Child benefit: Up 35p a week to help with the lockdown 

MPs just gave themselves an extra £10,000 each to help with working from home

:berra:

They've said everyone working from home is pretty much saving money.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

A commemorative 1p coin 

Available to be purchased from the royal mint for £4.99.

£4.98 with an NHS email address. 

6 minutes ago, Cade said:

A commemorative 1p coin 

I tell you what, lockdown as made me realise how many of those shan coins go out

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

A chilling chart has revealed the UK region at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak is not London but instead Scotland. 

London and the rest of England aren't counting non hospital deaths. Scotland are. And adding suspected in too.

Davie Deans
27 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This virsus spreads faster than first thought, it is believed that 1 person can infect upto 5.7 people. 

So devasted man feel like just giving up, we aren't going to see football for atleast 1 year, unless they develop a vaccine in remarkable time. 

Even at that you can be sure we won't be getting it first. 

Phone your doctor buddy.

Your posts have been quite worrying lately.

joondalupjambo
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It is if you don't have to buy it.

Helping the economy?  Equipment purchases, IT support to set up, possible extra furniture etc.  I know it looks bad but bigger picture it moves cash around and perhaps into companies hands who need it?

Just an observation.  

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Helping the economy?  Equipment purchases, IT support to set up, possible extra furniture etc.  I know it looks bad but bigger picture it moves cash around and perhaps into companies hands who need it?

Just an observation.  

Probably get it all fae Dyson. 😀

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, milky_26 said:

so its like sooking a dog

:oohmatron:

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Aye, the test only picks up one strain of covid-19 and according to my post earlier in the day, scientist are finding sub-strains of it all over as it mutates in the population.

That's not true though. Tests are simply collecting bodily fluids of some sort to run through a database containing all known viruses and strains, which will be updated constantly. 

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

i heard about someone who had all the symptoms etc, tested negative, next day tested negative again, third day tested positive, but his condition hadn't changed in the 3 days he was on that ward, so he has to have been positive on day one.

A lot has been said about test test test, but the test itself is only around 70% accurate, that means 30% or 3 in 10 people could return a negative result when in fact they are positive and could therefore inadvertently have been spreading the virus all over the place.

There will be a lot of factors around that. When you test someone is really important. There is a sweet spot, a goldilocks period basically, where if you test too early or late you won't pick up the virus. 

This might help explain;

WHEN do you do the test? The antibody IgM is the bodies first response to an infection – normally within 5-10 days of an infection taking hold, peaking at 21 days after the infection. That time frame is crucial, if you have just developed symptoms you think are coronavirus, it will take approximately a week for your body to raise IgM antibodies to the virus. Now whilst with coronavirus we do have evidence of IgM being presenting the blood within 1 day of symptoms, but that isn’t going to be a reliable test at that stage, as the likely won’t be large amounts of IgM for use to detect. The best test for an early infection is combining the antibody test AND the PCR swab taken from the patient. Then we have a 98.6% detection rate within the first 5.5 days of infection. 

When tested alone, the PCR test has a 66.7% detection rate within the first week, whilst the antibody test has a lower 38.3% detection rate. 

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

A chilling chart has revealed the UK region at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak is not London but instead Scotland. 

Can you share? Sounds wrong. 

Dean Winchester
3 minutes ago, Davie Deans said:

Phone your doctor buddy.

Your posts have been quite worrying lately.

Agreed. At the very least take a break from looking at anything related to the pandemic for a day or two.

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

What is wrong with some posters on here today?

Stop making crap up or posting any shite theory you see on Twitter/Facebook!

If you're going to make claims, then please spend a moment to research them, and then, pretty please with sugar on, include a link to evidence that your claim is correct.

*Here ends the public service announcement*

Those ****ing Penguins that live on the ice walls at the edge of the world. They spread the virus to china in order to then transmit it via 5g throughout the world. They then spread info about testing accuracy to weaken us , confuse us and ultimately ready us for them to become our winged overlords....

*this may be made up or may be lifted from facebook.

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Probably get it all fae Dyson. 😀

😃😃😃

Aye and it will get delivered next January when it is all not needed!!

Francis Albert
33 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

They're also now beginning to catch up on other countries in  deaths per million population, so the jury's out on whether their strategy was right or not

One factor to consider would be the price of a pint. Seriously, they don't tend to congregate as frequently, or for as long,  or in such condensed spaces to drink as we do in my limited experience. I do think cultural/ behavioural factors must play a big part

Correct. As some German former Swedish resident  in an article I read today said the Swedes are also natural social distancers, who don't embrace and kiss or even routinely shake hands with others as do so many in other European countries including increasingly the UK.

And even if or when the Swedes catch up on deaths per million the jury will still be out. More deaths now might well be a price that in retrospect might seem worthwhile if the Swedish economy is still intact while others have had a decade of austerity making the last decade look like good times.  

35 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This virsus spreads faster than first thought, it is believed that 1 person can infect upto 5.7 people. 

So devasted man feel like just giving up, we aren't going to see football for atleast 1 year, unless they develop a vaccine in remarkable time. 

Nah. We'll have something on the go before August. Now which division we'll be in, that's a different question.

Don't listen to all the negative news. Some folk have agendas to make us all feel scared or down. At the moment, believe it or not, we've fairly got the measure of the virus. It could have been very much worse.

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

There will be a lot of factors around that. When you test someone is really important. There is a sweet spot, a goldilocks period basically, where if you test too early or late you won't pick up the virus. 

This might help explain;

WHEN do you do the test? The antibody IgM is the bodies first response to an infection – normally within 5-10 days of an infection taking hold, peaking at 21 days after the infection. That time frame is crucial, if you have just developed symptoms you think are coronavirus, it will take approximately a week for your body to raise IgM antibodies to the virus. Now whilst with coronavirus we do have evidence of IgM being presenting the blood within 1 day of symptoms, but that isn’t going to be a reliable test at that stage, as the likely won’t be large amounts of IgM for use to detect. The best test for an early infection is combining the antibody test AND the PCR swab taken from the patient. Then we have a 98.6% detection rate within the first 5.5 days of infection. 

When tested alone, the PCR test has a 66.7% detection rate within the first week, whilst the antibody test has a lower 38.3% detection rate. 

Hence why the guy in question was tested on different days.

The Doctors & Nurses knew he was quite probably positive but without confirmation he had to stay on a normal ward, once confirmed he was then moved to a covid ward.

scott herbertson
3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Correct. As some German former Swedish resident  in an article I read today said the Swedes are also natural social distancers, who don't embrace and kiss or even routinely shake hands with others as do so many in other European countries including increasingly the UK.

And even if or when the Swedes catch up on deaths per million the jury will still be out. More deaths now might well be a price that in retrospect might seem worthwhile if the Swedish economy is still intact while others have had a decade of austerity making the last decade look like good times.  

Yes - I agree with your second point . We won't really know for a while - the deaths per million is as good a measure as any of a country's strategy with regard to the disease, but does not take account the impact of lockdown on the economy, and its impact. One statistic which is fascinating is the German's deaths per cases ratio. I hope there is some serious analysis of what they are doing as on the surface it looks far better than anyone else whose reporting can be more or less relied on.

joondalupjambo

Largo, Elie and Earlsferry filling up nicely with the second home owners.  Wonder if our ex CMO will be over again this weekend?😃

Range Rovers by the bucket load passing my front window from lunch time onwards.  Always a give away sign😃

Edited by joondalupjambo

Anyone trying to compare Sweden/Stockholm to places like London and New York are not comparing like for like. Those two later places attract so much more tourism and many more thousands of people for work. People are crammed in like Sardines.

As someone mentioned earlier the land mass in sweden helps massively to reduce the spread of the virus.

Edited by AlimOzturk

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, sadj said:

Those ****ing Penguins that live on the ice walls at the edge of the world. They spread the virus to china in order to then transmit it via 5g throughout the world. They then spread info about testing accuracy to weaken us , confuse us and ultimately ready us for them to become our winged overlords....

What utter total crap, Penguins FFS.

It's the fecking Panda's, I tell you.

43 minutes ago, gjcc said:

“Front line workers to be formally recognised.”

Probably a clap at the next Westminster sitting, then forgotten about. :lol: 

Germany is making a payment of €1500 each to its care workers in July.

19 minutes ago, sadj said:

One of the more believable scenarios I've seen posted lately, sadj. ;)

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, leginten said:

Germany is making a payment of €1500 each to its care workers in July.

In the UK it'll be £15 and it'll be taxable.

The Internet
2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

In the UK it'll be £15 and it'll be taxable.

And will need to be claimed through a convoluted application process. 

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

They're in it together.

An exclusive photo from the latest and very secretive World Summit.

panda-penguin.jpeg

Edited by redjambo

10 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Pfffft. Everybody knows pandas aren't actually real. Or at least 95% of them aren't. It's all a lie, spread by bamboo furniture conglomerates. Was on YouTube. 

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They're in it together.

panda-penguin.jpeg

A midget and a guy in costumes. Prove me wrong, folks. 

14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They're in it together.

panda-penguin.jpeg

the penguins are the pawns for the pandas

Bindy Badgy
51 minutes ago, sadj said:

Those ****ing Penguins that live on the ice walls at the edge of the world. They flew to china in order to then transmit it via 5g throughout the world. They then spread info about testing accuracy to weaken us , confuse us and ultimately ready us for them to become our winged overlords....

FYP

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It’s misinformation because of the change to reporting deaths recently. 

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

London and the rest of England aren't counting non hospital deaths. Scotland are. And adding suspected in too.

Also percentage increase gives a false picture.

If you've got £1 and I give you 20p that's 20%.

If I've got 10p and you give me 5p that's 50%.

Yet you got 4 times what I got.

Seymour M Hersh
6 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

To be fair, we also live on an island mate 

We're hardly isolated though in the same way they are. 22 minutes away from mainland Europe by train. 

2 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

French numbers are horrific again :(

worse is it is not their worst daily death total

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Why are you devastated? You have already told everyone on here you think you had virus but have now recovered, so if that is the case, you should be positive. Failing that, what exactly are you hoping to achieve being so negative every single post.

Get of Internet , read a book, do some exercise or something to get blood moving. Failing that, get some help.

Malinga the Swinga
18 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

worse is it is not their worst daily death total

While every death is a tragedy to the family involved and is the headline grabber, the death total isn't really the one that matters as regards the future of the virus. The rate and number of new infections is the important one as that indicates what will be happening in 2/3 weeks.

2 hours ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

A very fair point, but they also have cities too that are pretty crowded, and you'd think they would have a much higher rate than they have, nothing to the extent of London though. 

2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Since 90% of the Swedish population live in urban areas it isn't really much of a point.

The Swedish may be less sociable (£10 a pint) than us Brit's, hence their lower contagion. Please be aware of that wee word "may". You missed it in my first reference to TOT's post or maybe you were just being your predictable omniscient self.   

Malinga the Swinga

Meant to say earlier, was walking along Paties Road earlier and saw some of the Edinburgh United players out training. Not observing social distancing and most likely against rules. Naughty Naughty.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Hence why the guy in question was tested on different days.

The Doctors & Nurses knew he was quite probably positive but without confirmation he had to stay on a normal ward, once confirmed he was then moved to a covid ward.

If being tested will have been in a "suspected" ward not a "normal" ward...

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

While every death is a tragedy to the family involved and is the headline grabber, the death total isn't really the one that matters as regards the future of the virus. The rate and number of new infections is the important one as that indicates what will be happening in 2/3 weeks.

I think it is fair to say that the UK's testing situation is nowhere near where it should be. There will be plenty of people who have minor symptoms but don't want to go anywhere near an hospital for testing. The antigen testing is only about 80% accurate, the antibody testing is less than 50% accurate. I keep saying it but the talk of easing lockdown is a smokescreen - how can you talk about this when the deaths are up at 900 per day? Absurd.Easing lockdown discussion is to distract from the farce that testing has become. Testing was the previous smokescreen, to distract from the fact the Govt still hasn't sorted out PPE and Ventilators, the 2 things they ought to have sorted in Jan & Feb. 

BTW the Boris in ICU for 4 days is another smokescreen/distractor IMO. For the PM to be in ICU is same as a non-VIP to be High Dependency Unit...

Edited by Spellczech

12 minutes ago, Space Pirate said:

Just went out to get my dominos left on the bin and every ***** was clapping 😂

Shouldn't laugh. 

You deserved every clap mate. Well done. 

Greedy Jambo
Just now, gjcc said:

You deserved every clap mate. Well done. 

😂

I thought it was quite impressive myself. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, sadj said:

I had to tell someone off on Facebook today who was stating that the lockdown would probably be happening for another 3 months.  Yes that might be true i noted but be sensitive to peoples anxieties about the whole lockdown so posting what " might" happen doesnt really help people . It only creates more anxiety and distress Im certainly not a head in the sand type of person but lets try and post the truth and not rumours , suppositions etc based on ones own knowledge . They are basically projecting their own anxieites on to others which is never really helpful. 

Edited by JamesM48
spelling error

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic