Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Ulysses
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Twice and amazingly survived both times.

Most people who've had the bug have survived it, to be fair.

You probably have some degree of immunity built up now, though how much and how long-lasting I couldn't say.

I never had Covid before I got the jabs.  I've had it twice since and it didn't bother me much, to be honest.

I knew a couple of people who got it in the days before the vaccine rollout.  One died, in or around 60.  The others were fine when it was over, but found the illness itself a bit hard going.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim_Duncan
16 minutes ago, been here before said:

Twice and amazingly survived both times.

Weakling. 

Never had it. 

Jim_Duncan
51 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Ach, it's easier for me than others to be a smart-arse, and I shouldn't be dismissive.  As chance would have it I had previously worked with some of the key Irish decision-makers, so I knew a lot of the thinking behind the various measures.  🤷‍♂️

No danger of repeating that mistake.  In any case, you won't need a top-up for a while. :laugh:

Despite my flippant attitude I actually understand why these decisions were made and have sympathy for those who were making them. I just think they were the wrong decisions, influenced too heavily by a lack of genuine preparedness and having the get out clause of being able to say that China went first. Decisions made in a state of fear are rarely wise ones. 

Ulysses
1 minute ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Decisions made in a state of fear are rarely wise ones. 

That is true.  However, not making decisions in a state of fear is usually even more unwise.

What can't be denied is that crisis decision-making tends to be error-strewn, and the pandemic was no exception.  Unfortunately, you often only get to see the errors in your rear-view mirror.

As I recall from the days before the vaccine rollout, a lot of government figures here felt that they'd be given pelters for being too cautious, but that they'd be politically finished if they were too lax and the bodies piled up.  I also know that in the Irish case, the issues around Covid-19 were generally not as politicised as they were in the UK, mainly because we didn't have anyone quite as inept as Boris Johnson.

You're also not wrong about the lack of preparedness.  I wouldn't want to bet on how well prepared we'll be for the next one either. :eek:

Footballfirst

National Records of Scotland, have recorded 290 deaths of people "with Covid" this year (to 3rd March), with 189 of them being "due to Covid". 

It's still a thing if you are in a vulnerable group, despite the apparent reduction in the virulence of the latest variants.

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Ulysses said:

That is true.  However, not making decisions in a state of fear is usually even more unwise.

What can't be denied is that crisis decision-making tends to be error-strewn, and the pandemic was no exception.  Unfortunately, you often only get to see the errors in your rear-view mirror.

As I recall from the days before the vaccine rollout, a lot of government figures here felt that they'd be given pelters for being too cautious, but that they'd be politically finished if they were too lax and the bodies piled up.  I also know that in the Irish case, the issues around Covid-19 were generally not as politicised as they were in the UK, mainly because we didn't have anyone quite as inept as Boris Johnson.

You're also not wrong about the lack of preparedness.  I wouldn't want to bet on how well prepared we'll be for the next one either. :eek:

My starting position is that governments really shouldn’t be making all that many decisions anyway. 

Ulysses
9 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

My starting position is that governments really shouldn’t be making all that many decisions anyway. 

In a crisis, the decisions of government might be the only thing standing between ordinary people and savagery.  

Nucky Thompson
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

:vrface:

The usual numbnuts getting confused between what is needed now and what was needed at points in the past.

It takes a special type of goon to attempt to use one to try to prove a point about the other.  

Go back in this thread to the end of 2021, start of 2022 and you'll find a whole load of numbnuts :D

Jim_Duncan
7 hours ago, Ulysses said:

In a crisis, the decisions of government might be the only thing standing between ordinary people and savagery.  

I really hope you have that in a little frame on your desk. 

Victorian
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Go back in this thread to the end of 2021, start of 2022 and you'll find a whole load of numbnuts :D

Of course.  Bad times all round.  

Jim_Duncan
2 hours ago, Victorian said:

Of course.  Bad times all round.  

Not really. All the fearties were locked up making sourdough bread and listening to Sturgeon. The rest of us were out and having fun.

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, Jim_Duncan said:

Not really. All the fearties were locked up making sourdough bread and listening to Sturgeon. The rest of us were out and having fun.

Yepppp !!! My awakening was around May 2020 so only a couple months of shitting my breeks. The rest continued to shit their breeks for another couple years , eventually thriving and enjoying it I feel . 

Jim_Duncan
28 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yepppp !!! My awakening was around May 2020 so only a couple months of shitting my breeks. The rest continued to shit their breeks for another couple years , eventually thriving and enjoying it I feel . 

I still meet people through my work - healthy youngish adults - who mention they are too scared and don't go to the cinema or to bars because of Covid.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I still meet people through my work - healthy youngish adults - who mention they are too scared and don't go to the cinema or to bars because of Covid.

Tragic . I saw a truly bizarre site last week . Even took a pic . A driver in a car with a mask on !! Dearie me 

1 hour ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Tragic . I saw a truly bizarre site last week . Even took a pic . A driver in a car with a mask on !! Dearie me 

That's not creepy at all :laugh:

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, kila said:

That's not creepy at all :laugh:

It was to show a friend ! He found it as humorous as me ! And ludicrous 

This threads hilarious now with all our brave freedom fighters lining up to show how they stuck it to the man; nobody tells them what to do. 

il Duce McTarkin
11 minutes ago, XB52 said:

This threads hilarious now with all our brave freedom fighters lining up to show how they stuck it to the man; nobody tells them what to do. 

Were the Bodrum knocking shops still open during covid?

Victorian
32 minutes ago, XB52 said:

:Agree:  weirdos.

Still thrashing away with the howling "shitting their pants" patter.

One even tried to make a point by citing the fact that he didn't die.  "Who would have thunked it".  Well **** me,  est. 7m covid deaths on a planet with 8bn population.  And one guy didnae die!!!  Someone alert the authorities.  

Ulysses
8 hours ago, Jim_Duncan said:

I really hope you have that in a little frame on your desk. 

The message of the day on my desk says "The cat purrs to please itself". Not that I've ever asked any cats about the matter. 🐈‍⬛

19 hours ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Shame.

Really warming to you, il Duce ☺️

4 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

8j97xn.jpg

JudyJudyJudy
53 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Were the Bodrum knocking shops still open during covid?

😂😂😂😂

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Really warming to you, il Duce ☺️

8j97xn.jpg

Thsts true . Hook line and sinker , but woke up fairly quickly unlike most of the mob on this thread . In fact they are stlepping the same bollocks. It’s hard to admit you’ve been had I guess . 

34 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:Agree:  weirdos.

Still thrashing away with the howling "shitting their pants" patter.

One even tried to make a point by citing the fact that he didn't die.  "Who would have thunked it".  Well **** me,  est. 7m covid deaths on a planet with 8bn population.  And one guy didnae die!!!  Someone alert the authorities.  

I've not got a clue why they are bothered enough about it to keep on telling us they were never bothered about it. It was years ago and most people now treat it like the flu; get a booster every year if you're in the right age bracket or with relevant health issues. If some people still want to wear a mask, it certainly doesn't impact my life or annoy me.

Victorian
8 minutes ago, XB52 said:

I've not got a clue why they are bothered enough about it to keep on telling us they were never bothered about it. It was years ago and most people now treat it like the flu; get a booster every year if you're in the right age bracket or with relevant health issues. If some people still want to wear a mask, it certainly doesn't impact my life or annoy me.

Is pretty much the be all and end all of it.  It's over.  

:weneedamoveonffsemoji:

The Mighty Thor

I absolutely love the re-writing of history on here.

Yous were all shiting it likesy.........while I was bleaching my messages

😂

Absolute moon howling bollocks of the highest order

:clyay:

Victorian

I will not disassociated myself from any total bollocks I said but...

:vrface:

JudyJudyJudy

Absolutley pitiful and disgusting behaviour to actually rake up old postings  from nearly 4 years ago.

Pathetic 

Says more about you than me. 

C****

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

il Duce McTarkin

We need more raking up old posting from almost four years ago imo

Cairneyhill Jambo
51 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Take off the gloves ...fil. the sink with washing up liquid and bleach ...wipe down plastic food packages

and tins   :rofl:

🤣🤣

Nucky Thompson

I'm not going to drag up old posts, but having a look back it was on 1st December 2021 that news broke that Omicron was mild.

Have a read back from that point :D

11 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Absolutley pitiful and disgusting behaviour to actually rake up old postings  from nearly 4 years ago.

Pathetic 

Says more about you than me. 

C****

IMG_4731.gif

escobri

long covid awareness day and the fake news media comes out with this. 🤣 the lazy feckers in the comments are raging 🤣

i wish jj was my dad

A really good guy  I work with has been off for more than a year with long covid. He was anxious at the time because of what I think he said was a oppressed immune system and went under last January. A really good grafter who went on half pay after 6 months and now well into nil pay but we are sticking by him because he is one of the good guys with a splendid record of hard work. 

So the laughing your arse off comments at people wearing masks or understanding why people should recognise why folk like him were trying to avoid the risks by taking precautions is dickheadery of the highest order IMO. 

10 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

A really good guy  I work with has been off for more than a year with long covid. He was anxious at the time because of what I think he said was a oppressed immune system and went under last January. A really good grafter who went on half pay after 6 months and now well into nil pay but we are sticking by him because he is one of the good guys with a splendid record of hard work. 

So the laughing your arse off comments at people wearing masks or understanding why people should recognise why folk like him were trying to avoid the risks by taking precautions is dickheadery of the highest order IMO. 

Yep. A friend of mine posted today on Facebook about her issues with long covid. She’s not a lazy fecker. She’s someone who has worked hard all her life and did a masters in her 40’s in her spare time to advance her career options. That was just before covid when she graduated. Since then she’s had to give up her job as she can’t work due to the constant fatigue and pains. She got another job at 3 days a week and even that was too much. She’d love to work but can’t. Lazy fecker indeed. 

i wish jj was my dad
11 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yep. A friend of mine posted today on Facebook about her issues with long covid. She’s not a lazy fecker. She’s someone who has worked hard all her life and did a masters in her 40’s in her spare time to advance her career options. That was just before covid when she graduated. Since then she’s had to give up her job as she can’t work due to the constant fatigue and pains. She got another job at 3 days a week and even that was too much. She’d love to work but can’t. Lazy fecker indeed. 

Horrible.  It doesn't quite with the re-invented narrative but to take us back to a comments from 2020, I think it is important to respect people's anxieties and the reasons for them.  Being human an all that.  I was really lucky.  I was never anxious about being ill and when I was 'infected' it was mild but others including this guy weren't.

Without a doubt some really do suffer from long covid. But not as many as claim, some really are lazy ****ers looking for anyway out of work. I know some allowed to only WFH because of fatigue but you’ll probably see them running after their dog in a park one day… 

Sad thing with any illness or whatever, it’ll be exploited by lazy ****ers which give the (fewer) true suffers a bad name.

Jim_Duncan
37 minutes ago, kila said:

Without a doubt some really do suffer from long covid. But not as many as claim, some really are lazy ****ers looking for anyway out of work. I know some allowed to only WFH because of fatigue but you’ll probably see them running after their dog in a park one day… 

Sad thing with any illness or whatever, it’ll be exploited by lazy ****ers which give the (fewer) true suffers a bad name.

:spoton:

My wife has a really unfortunate bout of long Covid: she’s completely lost her sense of smell (food, our kids’ minging sweaty clothes after sport, etc) except for my farts. 

Footballfirst

Another of the key decision makers is finally scheduled to give evidence to the Covid inquiry, after postponing it last year.