Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

5 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Figures published by PHS today have Omicron accounting for 57.9% of cases in Scotland.

I also found some graphs that show all regions of England exceeding 50%, with the exception of Yorkshire and NE England (as at 19 Dec).

Edit: the same PHS report shows 10 people in Scottish hospitals with confirmed Omicron 

Perhaps the picture will clear up in the next week then.  It really would be desirable to see Delta removed from the equation.  If for some reason it was able to eke out it's own survival in conjunction with Omicron,  it would begin to get quite murky.  We don't need multiple strains in widespread circulation.  Such a thing could lead to a succeeding variant becoming more severe in order to gain a reproductive advantage.  No thanks.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

PM unlikely to introduce more restrictions before Christmas after delaying the decision. The data on omicron was still too limited to justify the immediate introduction of new restrictions,

At least a third of ministers are said to oppose further curbs.

Sensible decision IMO

We here this a lot, yet they knew almost within hours that Omicron was way way more transmissible than Delta.

It's been in the UK & Europe for around a month, in Africa for 6+ weeks and they still don't know if Omicron is milder or not, they don't have enough data yet, we keep hearing.  I can guarantee you, if it was the other way round, and Omicron was 2 or 3 times more deadly than Delta, we'd know long before now.

Maybe I'm just being to cynical here.

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

We here this a lot, yet they knew almost within hours that Omicron was way way more transmissible than Delta.

It's been in the UK & Europe for around a month, in Africa for 6+ weeks and they still don't know if Omicron is milder or not, they don't have enough data yet, we keep hearing.  I can guarantee you, if it was the other way round, and Omicron was 2 or 3 times more deadly than Delta, we'd know long before now.

Maybe I'm just being to cynical here.

The default position can only be that it is not less severe.  There are no evidenced examples of viruses adapted to humans that have become less virulent.  Proceeding from that base,  it will take quite a detailed study to determine if there is an actual reduction in virulence or if the improved clinical evidence is due to some other reason(s).

highlandjambo3

Went and got my booster today…..walk in with no appointment and back out in 20 minutes, we’ll organised apart from a jittery bunch of paranoid scare mungers.  There was about 50 people waiting to be jabbed in a seating plan (5 rows of 10 seats all spaced apart), the staff were organising new arrivals into seats just vacated by the “next in line to get jabbed” whilst those that had been waiting the longest would be called up next……..all working fine until a group of 4 people who had just arrived to sit down decided to walk to the other side of the room to grab a handful of sanitised wipes to wipe their seats down…..que chaos as most of the other people already sitting down decided to do the same…people all grabbing back the wrong seats and arguing with each other…………..we really are a bunch of shitebags.

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, escobri said:

I must be looking in the wrong place.

Screenshot_20211220-184003_Office.jpg

Yes you are looking at the wrong figures. 

Not a surprise really given everything else you post here you have no idea what’s going on. 

Konrad von Carstein
41 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Some Londoners can be as parochial as anyone anywhere. 

So "some"Londoners can be "parochial" but all Edinburgh folk are? :lol:

Away and bile yer heid ya silly auld duffer!

:tlj:

1 minute ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Went and got my booster today…..walk in with no appointment and back out in 20 minutes, we’ll organised apart from a jittery bunch of paranoid scare mungers.  There was about 50 people waiting to be jabbed in a seating plan (5 rows of 10 seats all spaced apart), the staff were organising new arrivals into seats just vacated by the “next in line to get jabbed” whilst those that had been waiting the longest would be called up next……..all working fine until a group of 4 people who had just arrived to sit down decided to walk to the other side of the room to grab a handful of sanitised wipes to wipe their seats down…..que chaos as most of the other people already sitting down decided to do the same…people all grabbing back the wrong seats and arguing with each other…………..we really are a bunch of shitebags.

Ffs.

:vrface:

1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Not a surprise really given everything else you post here you have no idea what’s going on. 

I did say I was looking in the wrong place 🤷‍♂️ there must be another confirmed cases table.

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The default position can only be that it is not less severe.  There are no evidenced examples of viruses adapted to humans that have become less virulent.  Proceeding from that base,  it will take quite a detailed study to determine if there is an actual reduction in virulence or if the improved clinical evidence is due to some other reason(s).

All I'm saying, is they have to have enough data by now, to be able to know one way or another if Omicron is weaker the same or worse.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

:rofl:

7 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

And I obviously bow down to your information that you deliver from your committees and advisory groups.

5 minutes ago, escobri said:

I did say I was looking in the wrong place 🤷‍♂️ there must be another confirmed cases table.

You should have a look at the confirmed head cases table, you're on it

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Where did I say all Edinburgh folk are? 

Footballfirst

If the 57.9% Omicron proportion is applied to today's 6,734 cases, then it would mean that there were 3,899 Omicron and 2,835 Delta cases.

On 7 December the reported Omicron proportion was 4.2%, but the case total was 3,060, so 129 Omicron and 2,931 Delta.

The Delta number is slightly down on a couple of weeks ago but not significantly so.  However it does suggest that Delta is maintaining much of its virulence but that the increase in cases is solely down to Omicron.

The Mighty Thor
18 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Parochial white racist!

😂

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

All I'm saying, is they have to have enough data by now, to be able to know one way or another if Omicron is weaker the same or worse.

They need a certain volume of hospitalisation,  with a good distribution of ages and vaccination status,  etc.  The default is that virulence wont be different.  Viruses becoming less virulent only exists in theory.  In practice it has never been observed and put into scientific fact.  The effects of viruses,  based on a comparison between no immunisation and immunisation,  is much easier to observe.  The effects of immunisation will need to be teased out or compensated for in order to measure any possible reduction in virulence.

You can't rush science.  

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Where did I say all Edinburgh folk are? 

I took your post to mean that Edinburgh's lack of diversity probably plays a part in the parochialism of some of it's inhabitants.

Before I left Edinburgh I'd have refuted that, but from the outside looking in, it's hard to argue with imo.

Dennis Denuto
21 minutes ago, escobri said:

You have no desire for reasoned debate or conversation, I would predict you don’t have the ability to understand what the actual situation currently is as you don’t believe any of the data, except the stuff that you think backs up your false conclusions. 

Francis Albert
Just now, Taffin said:

I took your post to mean that Edinburgh's lack of diversity probably plays a part in the parochialism of some of it's inhabitants.

Before I left Edinburgh I'd have refuted that, but from the outside looking in, it's hard to argue with imo.

Thanks for reading and understanding my post.

That Edinburgh is more parochial than London is as controversial as saying that Des Moines is more parochial than New York.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

You have no desire for reasoned debate or conversation, I would predict you don’t have the ability to understand what the actual situation currently is as you don’t believe any of the data, except the stuff that you think backs up your false conclusions. 

What you having a go at me for ya tube, I merely posted the stats of new confirmed cases. Sorry if it wasn't grim enough reading for you.

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, escobri said:

What you having a go at me for ya tube, I merely posted the stats of new confirmed cases. Sorry if it wasn't grim enough reading for you.

They mean virtually nothing in a practical way of explaining what is going on. 

Dennis Denuto

Do tell Mon amis

It’s been covered in the thread previously confirmed cases are ones identified as omicron from a very small sample of cases sent for full sequencing. So nothing like the actual number which can be determined from a certain aspect of the normal PCR test. 

Konrad von Carstein
25 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks for reading and understanding my post.

That Edinburgh is more parochial than London is as controversial as saying that Des Moines is more parochial than New York.

Your post mentioned 96%, you then caveated your London post with "some".

Edinburgh host to multiple festivals attracting visitors from all over the world is narrow minded?

Just you being you I suppose and I'm an idiot for biting.

1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

What’s the odds on Boris tightening restrictions after xmas and before new year to see what oor Nic says to that.

Just put a suit on for Hogmany, grab some wine and cheese, invite a wee dirty and her newly born and fill your boots. 

Happy New Year. 😎👍

2 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Edinburgh host to multiple festivals attracting visitors from all over the world is narrow minded?

He said 96% were white British...not that 96% were parochial.

Even if he had, that's still not all of them like you said.

Edinburgh, and Scotland as a whole is a pretty parochial place, especially in comparison to London imo and experience. There's no need to be offended by it, it's probably just a result of it being 96% white...

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Savage Vince said:

Just put a suit on for Hogmany, grab some wine and cheese, invite a wee dirty and her newly born and fill your boots. 

Happy New Year. 😎👍

Ha ha good one 

Francis Albert
6 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Did you really read my reference to 96 per cent as referring to the proportion of parochial people in Edinburgh? Really?

If so you may be an idiot but not for biting.

22 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

It’s been covered in the thread previously confirmed cases are ones identified as omicron from a very small sample of cases sent for full sequencing. So nothing like the actual number which can be determined from a certain aspect of the normal PCR test. 

So forgive me if I have this wrong, the full sequencing test wich confirms Omicron gives results which should be discounted as not all tests go through this process. We should just assume that the results of a less thorough test are adequate and add them to the total. 

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Did you really read my reference to 96 per cent as referring to the proportion of parochial people in Edinburgh? Really?

Are all Londoners stuck up and superior ? 

Going by the ones that post on JKB 

they certainly give that impression. 

You were out of order for siding with that guy dishing out the racist accusations. 

Dennis Denuto

So forgive me if I have this wrong, the full sequencing test wich confirms Omicron gives results which should be discounted as not all tests go through this process. We should just assume that the results of a less thorough test are adequate and add them to the total. 

See I said you wouldn’t be able to understand it. 

Francis Albert
5 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You were out of order for siding with that guy dishing out the racist accusations. 

Yep. We are all stick up and superior. All 9 million of us. 

Konrad von Carstein
12 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

13 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

16 minutes ago, Taffin said:

He said 96% were white British...not that 96% were parochial.

Even if he had, that's still not all of them like you said.

Edinburgh, and Scotland as a whole is a pretty parochial place, especially in comparison to London imo and experience. There's no need to be offended by it, it's probably just a result of it being 96% white...

Mia culpa lads,  was in Tesco festive shopping seems I fit the "cannot multi task" description of men perfectly :(

Strongly disagree with any suggestion that Edinburgh is narrow minded though.

The Real Maroonblood
10 minutes ago, luckydug said:

but he’s stayed in London most of his life but claims Edinburgh is one of the least diverse capital cities in the world.

Lauaghable claim with no proof.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Yep. We are all stick up and superior. All 9 million of us. 

And ugly, everyone of them ugly. 

oh wait, I might be getting confused with Dundee

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

There is so much shit in this post it's hard to know where to begin. 

It's like the very worst trolls on Kickback have formed a committee.

I thought it was an interesting post. The only thing that I was a little sceptical about was @SE16 3LN's claim that the majority of Londoners are non white. 

But it is ridiculous to use London as a yardstick to compare the rest of the UK on pretty much everything.

3 hours ago, SE16 3LN said:

London is an International and diverse city, if you don't understand that, and make your bigoted little opinions regardless, then you're racist. Almost 4 Million people from EU countries were given settled status after Brexit. Many of these people are living in their "home nations" due to Covid, but appear as unvaccinated by their London GP's. 

At the 2011 census over 50% of people in London were born outside the UK. Many of these people have different cultures, religions, backgrounds and beliefs than your totalitarian views. They don't necessarily believe they should get a vaccine. If you don't recognise that, then you're a racist.

The majority of people in London are not white. There experience in the UK has been one of racism and many mistrust govt. and other authorities. If they are told to get a vaccine, they will think about it long and hard. If you don't understand that from your position of white privilege, then you're a racist.

The medium age of Londoners is 8 years lower than Scotland, for example. Therefore they were not entitled to vaccines until long after the Monochrome people of ruk. There is naturally further to catch up. 

Given all of this, it is remarkable that 75% of Londoners are fully vaccinated and the numbers are going up. There are people lining up all over London to get vaccinated now so it will improve.

At the start of this pandemic, many Scots Nationalists talked about building a wall around London/England. At the second Lockdown the same thing happened and indeed the First Minister said English people were not welcome in Scotland unless they had good reason. More than that she tried to ban travel to and from Manchester because of high rates of Covid. Throughout this period infection rates in Scotland were as high as anywhere else in the UK, and indeed, the highest in Europe.  She didn't discourage thousands of Scotland fans coming to London during the Euros and spreading the Virus. Indeed they were welcomed by London.

While we're on this, a double vaccination is not preventing people getting Omicron. For example, my daughter got delta (after mingling with Scotland football fans) is double jabbed and now has omicron. 

You're assertion that there isn't a racist bone in your body seems a bit flimsy to me. Chucking Nanny Nicola Covid Style Nationalism about is unhelpful and is a sign that you've been duped. It's certainly not a sign that the multicultural and welcoming people of London need to be locked in.

just to add a surprising number of my colleagues have also been vaccinated either in the US or Europe (where they were hunkering down during lockdown)

Dennis Denuto
31 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

One thing you weren’t Chalfont was your figure of 96%, which is out by quite a large margin. 

Francis Albert
13 minutes ago, pablo said:

I thought it was an interesting post. The only thing that I was a little sceptical about was @SE16 3LN's claim that the majority of Londoners are non white. 

But it is ridiculous to use London as a yardstick to compare the rest of the UK on pretty much everything.

The last census in 2001 put the percentage in London identifying as white as about 60 percent.  Probably a bit lower now. Compared to over 96 percent in Edinburgh. So your scepticism about the specific number was justified but hardly changes the point being made.

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

The last census in 2001 put the percentage in London identifying as white as about 60 percent.  Probably a bit lower now. Compared to over 96 percent in Edinburgh. So your scepticism about the specific number was justified but hardly changes the point being made.

What did the 2011 census say?

Just now, Francis Albert said:

I would think that Edinburgh' white population makes up just under 90% these days, but of course it's nothing like London, or other large English towns.

As a matter of interest, which part of London do you live in?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )