Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Nucky Thompson
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😇 Aye but, you both (should) know by now that the last few days figures are incomplete.   Please retain those numbers then compare them to the figures for the same dates later this week, e.g. on Thu/Fri.  

Agreed. Saturday and Sunday should go up a bit further once more information comes in.

They should maybe have most of the specimen dates for further back

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

PM unlikely to introduce more restrictions before Christmas after delaying the decision. The data on omicron was still too limited to justify the immediate introduction of new restrictions,

At least a third of ministers are said to oppose further curbs.

Sensible decision IMO

We've had senior Cabinet members saying that January casualty statistics might be bleak, and to expect record case numbers in the coming days.  At this stage it's hard to tell whether they're scaremongering to get people to voluntarily dial things down, or else if they're covering their asses.

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

PM unlikely to introduce more restrictions before Christmas after delaying the decision. The data on omicron was still too limited to justify the immediate introduction of new restrictions,

Sensible decision IMO

A decision made with those ministers in mind. 

He's hanging on, I'll give him that. 

He'll survive a semi-lockdown in January, not over the festive period.

7 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sensible decision IMO

It is a sensible decision, if it's not just delaying the inevitable.

If there's going to be a lockdown of sorts/more stringent restrictions then I'd rather they just did them now. I'd like 2022 to be restriction free as much as possible.

The Mighty Thor
9 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sensible decision IMO

the PM is unlikely to introduce more restrictions before Christmas after having absolutely zero credibility or indeed power within his own party.

The data as to how deep he really is in the shit is still too limited for him to justify the political suicide of recalling MP's to have his arse handed to him in Westminster again. 

At least a third of ministers are said to be utterly fecking useless.

The only decision open to him to prolong his stay in his highly decorated flat IMO

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Agreed. Saturday and Sunday should go up a bit further once more information comes in.

They should maybe have most of the specimen dates for further back

Throughout the panademic, I've generally found that case numbers peak on a Wednesday (reported date, rather than specimen date) more often than any other day of the week. I'm uncertain as to why, but it may be that fewer people got tested on a weekend, but held off until Monday, then get the result back on Tuesday with the number reported on Wednesday.

I know that you are hoping to illustrate that the impact of Omicron is/will be less than forecast.  I dearly hope that is the case, but it it going to be into the new year before we see if the rapid increase in case numbers seen in the last few days is replicated in hospital admissions. Omicron cases from two or three weeks ago were too low to show any significant change in hospitalisations as yet. 

Edited by Footballfirst

19 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I know what he said was a sad case of someone grabbing a stick by the wrong end of it and swinging it wildly (hey, and not for the first time), but what did you mean by your "nuke" comment?

I didn't 'mean' anything. 😉

It is incredibly depressing that Johnson's career prospects have any impact whatsoever on the measures taken to combat COVID. 

Malinga the Swinga
22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

😇 Aye but, you both (should) know by now that the last few days figures are incomplete.   Please retain those numbers then compare them to the figures published for the same dates later this week, e.g. on Thu/Fri.  

I'll leave that to you. When govt or one of their advisors comes out saying cases will double every 2 days, then that's what is expected. If they don't, then it is fair to point it out.

If they had said cases will double every couple of days but we won't be able to prove that on a daily basis as we are incapable of getting our systems to be accurate, then that would be different.

4 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

It is incredibly depressing that Johnson's career prospects have any impact whatsoever on the measures taken to combat COVID. 

Politicians are devious. It's the very perfect nature of their job.

That's across the board btw !

7 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

The whole show is being run on that very basis.  It has a knock-on effect to the devolved administrations.

The figures today and over the past 5-6 although high are not rising rapidly contrary to what Johnson is saying right now. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

91,743 new cases and 44 new deaths

82,883 new cases and 44 new deaths
90,106 new cases
 and 125 new deaths

92,285 new cases and 111 new deaths 

87,438 new cases and 146 new deaths 

77,710 new cases and 165 new deaths

58,870 new cases and 149 new deaths

The above is the past 7 days. 

Omicron cases down from yesterday 

8044 today 

12000 (approx) yesterday 

Edited by Boy Daniel

Francis Albert
52 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

London is an International and diverse city, if you don't understand that, and make your bigoted little opinions regardless, then you're racist. Almost 4 Million people from EU countries were given settled status after Brexit. Many of these people are living in their "home nations" due to Covid, but appear as unvaccinated by their London GP's. 

At the 2011 census over 50% of people in London were born outside the UK. Many of these people have different cultures, religions, backgrounds and beliefs than your totalitarian views. They don't necessarily believe they should get a vaccine. If you don't recognise that, then you're a racist.

The majority of people in London are not white. There experience in the UK has been one of racism and many mistrust govt. and other authorities. If they are told to get a vaccine, they will think about it long and hard. If you don't understand that from your position of white privilege, then you're a racist.

The medium age of Londoners is 8 years lower than Scotland, for example. Therefore they were not entitled to vaccines until long after the Monochrome people of ruk. There is naturally further to catch up. 

Given all of this, it is remarkable that 75% of Londoners are fully vaccinated and the numbers are going up. There are people lining up all over London to get vaccinated now so it will improve.

At the start of this pandemic, many Scots Nationalists talked about building a wall around London/England. At the second Lockdown the same thing happened and indeed the First Minister said English people were not welcome in Scotland unless they had good reason. More than that she tried to ban travel to and from Manchester because of high rates of Covid. Throughout this period infection rates in Scotland were as high as anywhere else in the UK, and indeed, the highest in Europe.  She didn't discourage thousands of Scotland fans coming to London during the Euros and spreading the Virus. Indeed they were welcomed by London.

While we're on this, a double vaccination is not preventing people getting Omicron. For example, my daughter got delta (after mingling with Scotland football fans) is double jabbed and now has omicron. 

You're assertion that there isn't a racist bone in your body seems a bit flimsy to me. Chucking Nanny Nicola Covid Style Nationalism about is unhelpful and is a sign that you've been duped. It's certainly not a sign that the multicultural and welcoming people of London need to be locked in.

Good post. I have lived most of my life in London and although I love Edinburgh I could not live there now. The Scottish government bangs on about diversity but Edinburgh must be one of the least diverse capital cities in the world. It is, compared to London and indeed most if not all major cities in England, virtually monocultural - over 96% white British I believe..

The parochialism comes across in some of the posts on here.

Edited by Francis Albert

This just feels like we are again going to leave a decision to the last minute, which will have the knock on impact of harming business further, pissing off the population to alter plans last minute and result in longer restrictions that we otherwise might not have needed.

For now it's not the hospitalisations that are the concerning thing but the amount of people who are going to be off sick or isolating.

Regardless of any formal restrictions, the public health messages from the UK and Scottish Governments have directly led to hospitality having business severely restricted but doesn't look like any proper financial support for them. Fecking shambles.

Footballfirst
16 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

I'll leave that to you. When govt or one of their advisors comes out saying cases will double every 2 days, then that's what is expected. If they don't, then it is fair to point it out.

If they had said cases will double every couple of days but we won't be able to prove that on a daily basis as we are incapable of getting our systems to be accurate, then that would be different.

If you are expecting raw case numbers to double every two days, then I'm afraid that is not what you will see, or not at least until Omicron accounts for 100% of all cases, i.e. Delta has gone.

Just as an illustration of what would have happened a couple of weeks ago.

Day 1 10,000 cases  (9,900 Delta, 100 Omicron)

Day 3 10,100 cases (9,900 Delta, 200 Omicron)

Day 5 10,300 cases (9,900 Delta, 400 Omicron)

Day 7 10,700 cases (9,900 Delta, 800 Omicron)

In the example above Omicron is doubling every two days, but the total case numbers are rising much more slowly.

I appreciate that we are further down the road with 50% of daily cases down to Omicron, but the principle is the same e.g.

Day N 10,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 5,000 Omicron)

Day N+2 15,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 10,000 Omicron)

Day N+4 25,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 20,000 Omicron)

Edited by Footballfirst

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Sensible decision IMO

Mibbies aye Mibbies naw.

Malinga the Swinga
4 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If you are expecting raw case numbers to double every two days, then I'm afraid that is not what you will see, or not at least until Omicron accounts for 100% of all cases, i.e. Delta has gone.

Just as an illustration of what would have happened a couple of weeks ago.

Day 1 10,000 cases  (9,900 Delta, 100 Omicron)

Day 3 10,100 cases (9,900 Delta, 200 Omicron)

Day 5 10,300 cases (9,900 Delta, 400 Omicron)

Day 7 10,700 cases (9,900 Delta, 800 Omicron)

In the example above Omicron is doubling every two days, but the total case numbers are rising much more slowly.

I appreciate that we are further down the road with 50% of daily cases down to Omicron, but the principle is the same e.g.

Day N 10,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 5,000 Omicron)

Day N+2 15,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 10,000 Omicron)

Day N+4 25,000 cases (5,000 Delta, 20,000 Omicron)

See, that's why I leave figures to you. Poor old Delta variant is being ignored in favour of bright shiny new one.

Me I just look at them as Covid.

Malinga the Swinga
6 minutes ago, Costanza said:

Regardless of any formal restrictions, the public health messages from the UK and Scottish Governments have directly led to hospitality having business severely restricted but doesn't look like any proper financial support for them. Fecking shambles.

Agree, omni****ing shambles to be exact.

Footballfirst
12 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

The figures today and over the past 5-6 although high are not rising rapidly contrary to what Johnson is saying right now. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

91,743 new cases and 44 new deaths

82,883 new cases and 44 new deaths
90,106 new cases
 and 125 new deaths

92,285 new cases and 111 new deaths 

87,438 new cases and 146 new deaths 

77,710 new cases and 165 new deaths

58,870 new cases and 149 new deaths

The above is the past 7 days. 

Omicron cases down from yesterday 

8044 today 

12000 (approx) yesterday 

Extend your list by another 7 days so that you can compare like days, i.e. Mon v Mon, Sun v Sun, Sat v Sat .....  That way you would get a better illustration.  We know from reports throughout the pandemic that case numbers from the weekend are generally lower than weekdays.

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

Extend your list by another 7 days so that you can compare like days, i.e. Mon v Mon, Sun v Sun, Sat v Sat .....  That way you would get a better illustration.  We know from reports throughout the pandemic that case numbers from the weekend are generally lower than weekdays.

Indeed. But based on the 200,000 cases predicted it’s not taking a rapid trajectory upwards including lower expected weekend figures. 
Time will tell (obviously) but the figures are reasonably static which may explain 1 reason Johnson has hesitated as far as England is concerned. 

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Boy Daniel said:

Indeed. But based on the 200,000 cases predicted it’s not taking a rapid trajectory upwards including lower expected weekend figures. 
Time will tell (obviously) but the figures are reasonably static which may explain 1 reason Johnson has hesitated as far as England is concerned. 

I hope that is the case, but will wait for more information before offering an opinion about the direction or rate of travel.

If the trajectory is lower/slower than forecast, then that could be the result of a significant number of people actually taking cognisance of the "guidelines" that have been reinforced over the last week, e.g. parties or restaurant bookings cancelled, testing before going to an event. 

4 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

There are curious contradictions between these things :

The estimated amount of omicron already circulating (200,000 figure given by Javid).

The measured doubling rate (initially estimated as 2 to 3 days and more recently said to be 2 days or shorter).

The current trend of growth over the past few days.

An estimate from Jason Leitch that this wave wont peak until the end of January or into February.

All of these things cannot knit together.

Dennis Denuto
24 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Good post. I have lived most of my life in London and although I love Edinburgh I could not live there now. The Scottish government bangs on about diversity but Edinburgh must be one of the least diverse capital cities in the world. It is, compared to London and indeed most if not all major cities in England, virtually monocultural - over 96% white British I believe..

The parochialism comes across in some of the posts on here.

I very much doubt that 96% of them consider themselves to be British.

Delta was vanished by omicron out of the epidemiology in South Africa in very,  very quick time.  It appears to be fighting a rearguard action here.  Hmmmm...

5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There are curious contradictions between these things :

The estimated amount of omicron already circulating (200,000 figure given by Javid).

The measured doubling rate (initially estimated as 2 to 3 days and more recently said to be 2 days or shorter).

The current trend of growth over the past few days.

An estimate from Jason Leitch that this wave wont peak until the end of January or into February.

All of these things cannot knit together.

Guess work. As @Footballfirst the slower rate rise could well be down to people acting on the advice. 
I also briefly heard on Sky News South Africa appears to be indicating a less severe virus mutation which if correct would certainly be good news. 

Edited by Boy Daniel
Corrections.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I very much doubt that 96% of them consider themselves to be British.

Whatever they consider themselves, they are. But thanks for confirming my point about parochialism. Just white if you prefer. My point stands either way.

3 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Guess work As @Footballfirst the slower rate rise could well be down to people a ti g on the advice. 
I also briefly heard on Sky News South Africa appears to be indicating a less severe virus mutation which if correct would certainly be good news. 

The severity of illness has nothing to do with the point I'm making.  I'm talking about epidemiological growth.

People acting with caution will certainly contribute to a bit of slowing down.  But I still can't see how those various things can all coexist.

Edited by Victorian

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Whatever they consider themselves, they are. But thanks for confirming my point about parochialism. Just white if you prefer. My point stands either way.

I have never lived in Edinburgh in my life, I have lived in London though......

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Amazing isn't it.

Footballfirst

I've created another illustration of a progression using the total case numbers as reported on 3 December, with my assumption of 100 Omicron cases being reported that day and it doubling every two days, but with Delta numbers being stable (R no = 1).

Omicron.JPG.00c745a91294728adb486d86f00cc5a8.JPG 

If tomorrow's case numbers are around the 100,000 mark then the model would be a fair representation of what has happened over the last couple of weeks.

Edited by Footballfirst

4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The severity of illness has nothing to do with the point I'm making.  I'm talking about epidemiological growth.

People acting with caution will certainly contribute to a bit of slowing down.  But I still can't see how those various things can all coexist.

Well they can’t which as you alluded to and doesn’t make sense to offer these figures up without qualification. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They can’t - it’s the problem with a lot of the things we have been advised - you can drive a coach and horses through it (or whatever that phrase is)

advice churned out in their belief for the greater good (being generous and giving them the benefit of doubt) but lots of it didn’t and hasnt made sense - numbers and strategy

1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

I've created another illustration of a progression using the total case numbers as reported on 3 December, with my assumption of 100 Omicron cases being reported that day and it doubling every two days, but with Delta numbers being stable (R no = 1).

If tomorrow's case numbers are in excess of 100,000 then the model would be a fair representation of what has happened over the last couple of weeks.

Your far better than me at these sort of things and I’m grateful that you are able to keep posting your info. 

You have done that for years particularly when we were going through the take over of the Club. 

Just now, Boy Daniel said:

Well they can’t which as you alluded to and doesn’t make sense to offer these figures up without qualification. 

It has become complicated and harder to understand the various statements and claims in a coherent structure.

Leitch claiming the wave wont peak until maybe February is an interesting one.

200,000 or whatever + a 2 day doubling rate simply does not compute.  Not with these light touch measures.

Francis Albert
10 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Some Londoners can be as parochial as anyone anywhere. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

If tomorrow's case numbers are around the 100,000 mark then the model would be a fair representation of what has happened over the last couple of weeks.

Ive not been following it that closely but didn’t they say omicron became the dominant strain sometimes last week? Was that in growth rather than absolute numbers?

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Your far better than me at these sort of things and I’m grateful that you are able to keep posting your info. 

You have done that for years particularly when we were going through the take over of the Club. 

Thanks, but please don't take my numbers as being the actuality.  The government statisticians will have access to the actual data.  Delta cases may be diminishing, the "guidelines" may be having an impact, more boosters may also be influencing numbers.  However, what is clear is that such a trend, if it continues for another week or more, then we could easily be in the region of 200,000 cases a day.    

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

London is an International and diverse city, if you don't understand that, and make your bigoted little opinions regardless, then you're racist. Almost 4 Million people from EU countries were given settled status after Brexit. Many of these people are living in their "home nations" due to Covid, but appear as unvaccinated by their London GP's. 

At the 2011 census over 50% of people in London were born outside the UK. Many of these people have different cultures, religions, backgrounds and beliefs than your totalitarian views. They don't necessarily believe they should get a vaccine. If you don't recognise that, then you're a racist.

The majority of people in London are not white. There experience in the UK has been one of racism and many mistrust govt. and other authorities. If they are told to get a vaccine, they will think about it long and hard. If you don't understand that from your position of white privilege, then you're a racist.

The medium age of Londoners is 8 years lower than Scotland, for example. Therefore they were not entitled to vaccines until long after the Monochrome people of ruk. There is naturally further to catch up. 

Given all of this, it is remarkable that 75% of Londoners are fully vaccinated and the numbers are going up. There are people lining up all over London to get vaccinated now so it will improve.

At the start of this pandemic, many Scots Nationalists talked about building a wall around London/England. At the second Lockdown the same thing happened and indeed the First Minister said English people were not welcome in Scotland unless they had good reason. More than that she tried to ban travel to and from Manchester because of high rates of Covid. Throughout this period infection rates in Scotland were as high as anywhere else in the UK, and indeed, the highest in Europe.  She didn't discourage thousands of Scotland fans coming to London during the Euros and spreading the Virus. Indeed they were welcomed by London.

While we're on this, a double vaccination is not preventing people getting Omicron. For example, my daughter got delta (after mingling with Scotland football fans) is double jabbed and now has omicron. 

You're assertion that there isn't a racist bone in your body seems a bit flimsy to me. Chucking Nanny Nicola Covid Style Nationalism about is unhelpful and is a sign that you've been duped. It's certainly not a sign that the multicultural and welcoming people of London need to be locked in.

wow.  First of all I am not a racist (again pointing it out). I’d politely ask you to stop calling me one , your out of order.

secondly I am well aware London is multi cultural as are cities all over the world are believe it or not. Thirdly I am most certainly not flying any flags about Nicola Sturgeon - far from it believe me.

I have no interest in continuing this with you whatsoever but never call me a racist again, an absolutely disgraceful accusation

Edited by 1971fozzy

6 minutes ago, Adam_the_legend said:

For context:

image.thumb.jpeg.2d9686a29430e56953a73ec1a29d2211.jpeg

I posted it because he seemed to be questioning the validity of omicron causing lots of work absences.

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Ive not been following it that closely but didn’t they say omicron became the dominant strain sometimes last week? Was that in growth rather than absolute numbers?

I'm sure that was 50% of new infections, so 50% of Scotland's case numbers reported from Friday(?) were likely to be Omicron.

The Omicron distribution is uneven across the UK. London has the highest proportion, followed by Manchester and Scotland.  It's probably somewhat lower in the rural areas down South.

Edited by Footballfirst

The Delta / Omicron paradoxical figures may well be down to the markedly uneven distribution of omicron.  Seemingly it isn't as dominant in some regions as it is in London and even in Scotland.

Footballfirst

Figures published by PHS today have Omicron accounting for 57.9% of cases in Scotland.

I also found some graphs that show all regions of England exceeding 50%, with the exception of Yorkshire and NE England (as at 19 Dec).

Edit: the same PHS report shows 10 people in Scottish hospitals with confirmed Omicron 

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, SE16 3LN said:

😂😂😂😂 Talk about overreacting 😂😂😂😂. Saying London has huge numbers of cases is racist😂😂😂😂

Adam_the_legend
8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I posted it because he seemed to be questioning the validity of omicron causing lots of work absences.

Technically omicron isn’t causing them, the governments response/policies are.

7 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

With around 35-40k omicron cases (some of whom will now be back at work) it does seem a stretch to suggest they'd have caused that level of disruption already out of a pool of c.40 million.

2 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

In Scotland the Case rates are certainly shooting up in the younger age groups and not yet really increasing in the older ages yet - maybe this explains the extended lag in Hospital numbers and deaths are still dropping. Maybe that's due to boosters, maybe it's still to come or maybe you know sniffles?

Maybe it's because the younger age groups don't give a ****. 

In the mistaken belief that it's a fuss about nothing. 

As  demonstrated by some posters on this thread. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )