Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Taffin said:

Javid refusing to rule out pre-christmas lockdown and instead choosing to keep the sword of Damocles hanging in position.

Merry Christmas indeed.

I got told the 13th of December. So we got 1 or 2 weeks extra. 👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

30% or thereabouts in London haven’t taken a vaccine so it’s no wonder. Disgrace if we all fall as a result of these arseholes.  If it was up to me (unless there is a medical reason for not having a jag) they most certainly should not be given priority in the NHS. They should be quarantined in their homes

London is an extremely cosmopolitan and young city, that leans straight into the issues that exist around vaccine hesitancy (Plus we have a no mark Mayor who is far happier playing politics than doing his job). Good luck quarantining them, we let them gather to protest every week...

8 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

So the critical thinkerati coronavirus exit strategy is to stop testing?

No testing means no cases and et voila the virus is gone.

I can't believe no one with a big brain hasn't already thought of that.......oh wait 

Trump4.3.jpg

at the risk of joining the tinfoil hat brigade I do think its a debate that needs to happen - the rip the band-aid approach (no masks, no tests, no restrictions) does need considered. Appreciate that it's too soon but it is what we ought to be aiming for. 

The Mighty Thor
17 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

at the risk of joining the tinfoil hat brigade I do think its a debate that needs to happen - the rip the band-aid approach (no masks, no tests, no restrictions) does need considered. Appreciate that it's too soon but it is what we ought to be aiming for. 

I'd respectfully suggest at the start of an apparently highly infectious variant is probably not a great time. 

Particularly when it's just to placate a few torn faced folk who find the imposition of participating in the human race onerous. 

41 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

should take a look at the Israeli system - not all over the detail but believe they have four publicly funded health providers for non emergency stuff that compete for customers.

still keeps things free but also starts to hold folks to account.

I'd love a fact-finding by Parliament to assess potential new systems but my worry isn't that better or alternative systems exist, it's that the US insurers already have their mitts in the English NHS, big time (there's a Pindex video on youtube that discusses the US v UK Health systems that has some good detail) and I don't trust any of the current Tory govt not to be bought off - some clearly already are. 

I'd say we'd be in better hands if Labour were in since they actually do fundamentally believe in public healthcare, but I've not forgotten their disasterous PPI contracts that saddled the NHS with contracts to buy-back private build hospitals at 10x the cost. (Don't get me started on S Labour's appalling contracts to cheaply build unsafe schools, on the same scheme). 

My trust of any of these charlatans to do the right thing is so low it's probably statistically negligible.  

"Entry to all government-run institutions in the United Arab Emirates will be restricted to people who have been vaccinated, according to the state news agency."

From the Guardian feed.

Mandatory vaccination for prisoners? Or are they privately ran in the UAE?

3 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

82k new cases in the UK today. the 2nd day in a row that cases have dropped from the high of 93k on Friday.

Sounds like good news, but I'm sure there's a negative spin that can be applied 🙁

Edited by Taffin

14 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

82k new cases in the UK today. the 2nd day in a row that cases have dropped from the high of 93k on Friday.

But...but...what about thon exponential growth???

Could it be that, with every increased infection rate, the virus finds it harder to clear the brick wall of immunity,,

Dennis Denuto
31 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

There are reporting issues so some tests are taking longer to come back. We need to check the sample date and seven day average. 

However it doesn’t look like the waves we had before. 

Nucky Thompson
18 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Could it be that, with every increased infection rate, the virus finds it harder to clear the brick wall of immunity,,

30 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Sounds like good news, but I'm sure there's a negative spin that can be applied 🙁

You would think that case rates would only go one way considering it's meant to double every couple of days.

Maybe schools being shut and people not going out so much before Christmas is helping.

Who knows, it might head up again this week?

The Real Maroonblood
42 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Booo!

Nucky Thompson
29 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

There are reporting issues so some tests are taking longer to come back. We need to check the sample date and seven day average. 

Aye, the media are reporting today's figures as a huge weekly jump of 72% from last Sunday :biggrin2:

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aye, the media are reporting today's figures as a huge weekly jump of 72% from last Sunday :biggrin2:

Other waves things really just went up every day. This looks different. 

2 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Other waves things really just went up every day. This looks different. 

Pointless with this one Dennis. He's not right. 

The Mighty Thor

39 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

You would think that case rates would only go one way considering it's meant to double every couple of days.

Maybe schools being shut and people not going out so much before Christmas is helping.

Who knows, it might head up again this week?

It's a positive if it plays out that way. 

Maybe people are being cautious which will be beneficial in the short term. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

37 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

The most recent wave from end Sep into October showed the same profile of rising numbers on Thu/Fri, a drop on Sat/Sun, before resuming the upward trend.

....................... Thu Fri    Sat  Sun

Thu 30 Sep   36k, 36k, 30k, 30k

Thu 7 Oct       41k, 42k, 35k, 35k

Thu 14 Oct     45k, 44k, 43k, 45k

Thu 21 Oct     52k,  49k, 45k, 40k

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Pointless with this one Dennis. He's not right. 

I'm more right than left :whistling:

You just come on and throw insults at everyone you don't agree with.

You've no interest in debating your point

Nucky Thompson
9 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The most recent wave from end Sep into October showed the same profile of rising numbers on Thu/Fri, a drop on Sat/Sun, before resuming the upward trend.

....................... Thu Fri    Sat  Sun

Thu 30 Sep   36k, 36k, 30k, 30k

Thu 7 Oct       41k, 42k, 35k, 35k

Thu 14 Oct     45k, 44k, 43k, 45k

Thu 21 Oct     52k,  49k, 45k, 40k

Maybe less people get tested at the weekend?

Footballfirst
Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe less people get tested at the weekend?

I thought that might have been the case too, but the last couple of days reported test numbers are higher than previous days

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Could it be that we just introduced some extra measures and people are being more careful?

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Could it be that we just introduced some extra measures and people are being more careful?

Not from my experience they're not. Wetherspoons yesterday they were queuing to get in, many maskless people at the bar. I don't really think people give a s**t about it now tbh

Dagger Is Back
2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not from my experience they're not. Wetherspoons yesterday they were queuing to get in, many maskless people at the bar. I don't really think people give a s**t about it now tbh

To be fair that’s just Wetherspoons. 

3 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Just read a report from a snr figure in NHS England this morning ; 20% of NHS staff in London currently off sick. The vaccination rates in London are shockingly low.  It's London that needs to be put into lockdown but the Tories will never do that, so we'll all have to suffer. 

well said. London needs to be completely isolated. Embarrassing numbers. As usual London will dictate what happens to everywhere else.

6 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Not from my experience they're not. Wetherspoons yesterday they were queuing to get in, many maskless people at the bar. I don't really think people who drink in Spoons ever gave  a s**t about it tbh

FTFY.

3 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

FTFY.

Not a regular by any means but they're probably made of stronger stuff than the fearties who hide under the duvet!

37 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm more right than left :whistling:

You just come on and throw insults at everyone you don't agree with.

You've no interest in debating your point

No I don't. 

19 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

well said. London needs to be completely isolated. Embarrassing numbers. As usual London will dictate what happens to everywhere else.

Tbf, there's people calling for funding because the devolved nations want it despite there being almost as many people in London as the 3 of them combines.

I agree though, we should be acting for the majority...not the minority.

56 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I know a couple of people who work in bars and they said bookings are massively down and loads of cancellations.

59 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Wetherspoons is for human trash. 

Nucky Thompson

My son was out with some Uni mates on Thursday night for a Christmas meal.

Two of them(a couple) tested positive on Friday. They were asymptomatic and they only knew because their pre departure PCR test for Singapore came back positive. So instead of being home in Singapore, they'll be spending Christmas in the halls at Heriot-Watt.

My son got a negative PCR back today, so Christmas is still on for us, for the time being anyway.

The girl who tested positive told my son it was the Delta variant.

Do they now tell you what variant you have when you test positive?

Captain Sausage
2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Two of them(a couple) tested positive on Friday. They were asymptomatic and they only knew because their pre departure PCR test for Singapore came back positive. So instead of being home in Singapore, they'll be spending Christmas in the halls at Heriot-Watt.

My son got a negative PCR back today, so Christmas is still on for us, for the time being anyway.

Fingers crossed your son stays negative. 

All four of us running slightly high temps, all feeling a bit meh, but all negative on LFTs. In normal times, we’d accept we have a bug and brush it off. But with MIL and FIL due round on Wednesday, just wanting to ensure we don’t pop their clogs. 

12 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I had two family members who tested positive recently and they never knew what variant they had. 

6 hours ago, Taffin said:

People are more afraid of being made to isolate than of catching Covid in my experience this time around. The 'cure' is more disruptive than the ailment.

The strategy is working I guess and the government require some credit for that. They've created an environment where people don't want to isolate over Christmas and the 'just in case' in regards to elderly relatives so people are cancelling plans and staying at home. The government aren't destroying hospitality, we are...and as such they can sit back and not fund anyone.

Cupace20211219131652.png

Very much this. 

3 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I read that in the Guardian as well and it did jump out as very selective reporting, really not helpful.

Introducing tougher restrictions now would feel pretty unforgiveable given the timing and the repeat of last year. If they were going to trust the scientists then they would have been as well introducing measures over a week ago and ensuring businesses got the notice and financial support they needed.

It's just another mixed messaging omnishambles.

In a group chat with my mates, one who is based in Hong Kong said that they have had no community transmissions since July. Quarantine is a nightmare but basically life is normal there.

Their approach isn't sustainable long term but it's surely far better than how we've handled this in the UK.

I'm sure hospitality would have welcomed domestic normality for one.

7 hours ago, Taffin said:

People are more afraid of being made to isolate than of catching Covid in my experience this time around. The 'cure' is more disruptive than the ailment.

The strategy is working I guess and the government require some credit for that. They've created an environment where people don't want to isolate over Christmas and the 'just in case' in regards to elderly relatives so people are cancelling plans and staying at home. The government aren't destroying hospitality, we are...and as such they can sit back and not fund anyone.

Cupace20211219131652.png

I’m not afraid of isolating, but what rips ma knitting is the fact that if a family member tests + and I test neg I still have to isolate. Treat yourself as being sick even though you aren’t 

Malinga the Swinga
1 minute ago, Costanza said:

I read that in the Guardian as well and it did jump out as very selective reporting, really not helpful.

Introducing tougher restrictions now would feel pretty unforgiveable given the timing and the repeat of last year. If they were going to trust the scientists then they would have been as well introducing measures over a week ago and ensuring businesses got the notice and financial support they needed.

It's just another mixed messaging omnishambles.

In a group chat with my mates, one who is based in Hong Kong said that they have had no community transmissions since July. Quarantine is a nightmare but basically life is normal there.

Their approach isn't sustainable long term but it's surely far better than how we've handled this in the UK.

I'm sure hospitality would have welcomed domestic normality for one.

We had travel restrictions, including quarantine, for a few weeks. It was a complete **** up, from complaints over organisation to travel companies moaning over every single step taken.

They have lost backing from a lot of public who just see u-turn after u-turn, announcement after announcement, often just hours apart.

Personally, would have shut borders down, but nope, we were unable to operate a unified policy, all because our leaders want to play 'who's got the biggest dick' instead of working together and putting all 4 countries first 

Now some will blame Boris, some Nicola or Drakeford but imo, they should all be held to account.

They have all failed us.

34 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

We had travel restrictions, including quarantine, for a few weeks. It was a complete **** up, from complaints over organisation to travel companies moaning over every single step taken.

They have lost backing from a lot of public who just see u-turn after u-turn, announcement after announcement, often just hours apart.

Personally, would have shut borders down, but nope, we were unable to operate a unified policy, all because our leaders want to play 'who's got the biggest dick' instead of working together and putting all 4 countries first 

Now some will blame Boris, some Nicola or Drakeford but imo, they should all be held to account.

They have all failed us.

Yeah hard to argue with any of that. Just one missed opportunity after another and now we likely have a Government asking us to lockdown again whilst their p1ss taking last year is displayed all over the press.

Lord Montpelier
50 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They have all failed us.

Spot on. I'd like to see all 3 of them in the dock at some point.

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

I’m not afraid of isolating, but what rips ma knitting is the fact that if a family member tests + and I test neg I still have to isolate. Treat yourself as being sick even though you aren’t 

Yes that would annoy me greatly. Is that still the rule in Scotland or are you not fully vaccinated? Either way, yes, a real frustration that one.

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

is that right ? Surely not 🤷🏻‍♂️ But wouldn’t surprise me tbh

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )