Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

16 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's also not for profit seemingly, all the companies are doing it at cost price, but that's also been lost in the rush to shout tory donor, tory donor.

Personally I don't give a monkey's who is going to make them, the important thing indeed the only thing is that they are made, they work and save lives, feck all else should matter right now.

Not for profit :rofl:Good yin. I wonder how those vacuum cleaners will sell.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jambo-Jimbo
6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Mrs Ribble's Gran passed away in her sleep on Monday night, we've been told that the larger chapel at Warriston can accommodate 26 people for the funeral (12 for the smaller one) but there is a chance that the government will enforce a zero attendance rule for funerals by the end of next week, we're doing all we can to push all the paperwork through as soon as possible, the thought of her gran being cremated with nobody there just isn't worth thinking about, 

The Borders Crematorium at Melrose is limiting the service to 10 people max, they are offering a webcast of the service.

Also one of the funeral directors down here is stopping using cars for the family, they are asking that you use your own car.

Jambo-Jimbo
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not for profit :rofl:Good yin. I wonder how those vacuum cleaners will sell.

"Dyson’s CoVent model was developed in 10 days in conjunction with The Technology Partnership, a medical devices company based in Cambridge. The vacuum company declined to disclose the financial arrangements of the government deal, though it said it does not expect to make a profit on the ventilators."

https://www.ft.com/content/4cc667f2-6ee2-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Hungary's wannabe dictator Orban shoots his bolt too early;

After passing the law which gave him emergency powers to rule by decree with no end date sent, he immediately tried to pass another new law that would let him directly strip autonomy from Mayors and other devolved bodies.

Even his own party didn't back him on that and a few hours after announcing the plan, it was dropped.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

"Dyson’s CoVent model was developed in 10 days in conjunction with The Technology Partnership, a medical devices company based in Cambridge. The vacuum company declined to disclose the financial arrangements of the government deal, though it said it does not expect to make a profit on the ventilators."

https://www.ft.com/content/4cc667f2-6ee2-11ea-89df-41bea055720b

Maybe they should have declined to disclosed they were involved. But hey, all that free advertising, and possible goodwill. You cannae fault the strategy.

Just unearthed a couple of dust masks in the house.    Can quickly feel how uncomfortable they are on the breathing.    

I P Knightley
47 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Mrs Ribble's Gran passed away in her sleep on Monday night, we've been told that the larger chapel at Warriston can accommodate 26 people for the funeral (12 for the smaller one) but there is a chance that the government will enforce a zero attendance rule for funerals by the end of next week, we're doing all we can to push all the paperwork through as soon as possible, the thought of her gran being cremated with nobody there just isn't worth thinking about, 

Warriston are doing live streaming of funerals. I know; I'll be "attending" one next week.

Family will wait for the all-clear before gathering for something more 'normal'.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's also not for profit seemingly, all the companies are doing it at cost price, but that's also been lost in the rush to shout tory donor, tory donor.

Personally I don't give a monkey's who is going to make them, the important thing indeed the only thing is that they are made, they work and save lives, feck all else should matter right now.

Agreed

Jambo-Jimbo
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Maybe they should have declined to disclosed they were involved. But hey, all that free advertising, and possible goodwill. You cannae fault the strategy.

If you wanted to be cynical about it, you could say the same with all the companies involved, from Airbus, Rolls-Royce to F1 and so on, even restaurants getting free publicity by offering free meals to NHS staff, or buses offering free travel for NHS staff etc etc etc, it's all free publicity.

Hell, maybe you should offer NHS/Emergency staff a discount on getting their roofs fixed, never know you might get more business when all this is over. 👍

Absolutely amazing of Dyson and JCB to do this for no reason whatsoever other than its the right thing to do. Wonderful organisations. 

❤️❤️❤️

32 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Another 950 deaths in Spain in the last 24 hrs.

Just no end to this shit.

I'm starting to think that this virus is not going to behave like viruses have up to now and all the models are a waste of time.

Looking at the situations in other countries and taking into account of where they are on different points of their epidemics,   as well as the scale of their individual controls,   I really can't see the UK toll being less than 30,000 by the time we are clearly past the so-called peak (or plateau) period.    Could very well be more.     The daily rises in the likes of Italy and Spain,   as well as our latest figures seem to make it most likely we'll be seeing four figure daily rises for at least a couple of weeks and then figures similar to Italy once we're on the down path.     This from just the current wave.    God only knows what will happen once social distancing measures are relaxed and international travel begins in earnest.

We're not on a trajectory that presents any divergence from Italy or Spain.    It could be more severe.     The front line resource levels may well be quite good but that can't prevent the continuation of fatalities.     

Lockdown must be reinforced and extended until end of May.

Car use continues to rise as people get bored of lockdown after only a week and go on feckin day trips across the country with the entire feckin family.

:berra:

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm starting to think that this virus is not going to behave like viruses have up to now and all the models are a waste of time.

Well the advice does seem to be changing the more we learn about this virus.

Just the social distancing for example, 1 metre became 2 metres and now new research seems to show that droplets can travel up to 6 - 8 metres, which may effect social distancing again.

7 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm thinking similarly.    Possibly related to inaccurate inputs re how infectious it is plus the time factors involved between stages.     It looks deeper seated and less visible and the model forecasts could well be wrong.

Data harvesting and mathematical modelling may work for winning referendums and general elections, but it doesn't work against pandemic outbreaks.

Quarantine, mass testing and contact tracing is the only way to keep a virus at bay long enough for a vaccine to be produced and distributed.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

A woman my GF works with was only allowed to attend her Dad's funeral on Monday with her brother. Nobody else. It was streamed online for others to watch.

Not sure where it was held though.

30 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Warriston are doing live streaming of funerals. I know; I'll be "attending" one next week.

Family will wait for the all-clear before gathering for something more 'normal'.

Yeah he mentioned the live stream, just doesn't seem right to me. Hopefully we'll be allowed the 26 which more than covers the immediate family who were all in contact with each other on tuesday anyway. 

We'll have a wake/memorial once this is all over.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I'm thinking similarly.    Possibly related to inaccurate inputs re how infectious it is plus the time factors involved between stages.     It looks deeper seated and less visible and the model forecasts could well be wrong.

Weren't most if not all of the modeling based upon the data coming out of China...........if that data was wrong, then any models would be wrong as well.

Is this what we are seeing now, where the modeling and advice are changing with every passing week as the West learn more about the virus.

Just now, hughesie27 said:

A woman my GF works with was only allowed to attend her Dad's funeral on Monday with her brother. Nobody else. It was streamed online for others to watch.

Not sure where it was held though.

Think it varies depending on the size of the church/crematorium

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, King prawn said:

I know someone is just going to say “easy to say that with hindsight” but the UK should have looked at Spain and Italy weeks ago and done the same. People in Spain have been in quarantine without being able to leave the flat unless it’s to go to the nearest supermarket for 18 days now and the cases are still rising at 6-7k per day. 

South Korea are the ones to copy. 

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Weren't most if not all of the modeling based upon the data coming out of China...........if that data was wrong, then any models would be wrong as well.

Is this what we are seeing now, where the modeling and advice are changing with every passing week as the West learn more about the virus.

They know virtually nothing worth knowing about this virus.

Yes it's reasonable to assume the modelling is worthless.    They just need to manage what presents,   day by day.

The almost total lack of knowledge of the virus is what will hang us when measures are rolled back.

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, Cade said:

Car use continues to rise as people get bored of lockdown after only a week and go on feckin day trips across the country with the entire feckin family.

:berra:

I still out to work until tomorrow and there is noticeably more on the roads over the last few days. 

Wait til this weekend. It'll be like a fecking bank holiday as the self entitled head out to the beach/park for a family walk, because the rules dont apply to them. 

27 minutes ago, Homme said:

Absolutely amazing of Dyson and JCB to do this for no reason whatsoever other than its the right thing to do. Wonderful organisations. 

❤️❤️❤️

I did think when JCB where finishing the boxes in JCB yellow and their logo on it whether is was really a good use of time but then thought that it would actually probably take them longer to finish them in a different colour.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Do the hankie ones offer no protection at all then?

They’re worn in Japan by people who see it as their duty not to infect you with their germs, they don’t offer much protection. 

Jambo-Jimbo
13 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I still out to work until tomorrow and there is noticeably more on the roads over the last few days. 

Wait til this weekend. It'll be like a fecking bank holiday as the self entitled head out to the beach/park for a family walk, because the rules dont apply to them. 

Especially seeing as it's going to be warm, high teens maybe even low 20's down south of England, even up here it's supposed to be in the mid teens.

Going to utter carnage.

1 minute ago, graygo said:

Only 11 deaths in the USA in the last 24 hours.  Have they changed the way they count?

Trump probably decided on a minimum earning amount before their life is worth being counted in the tallies.

Actually that already happens anyway, as there's millions who can't go to hospital if things get bad.

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Only 11 deaths in the USA in the last 24 hours.  Have they changed the way they count?

they haven’t published the data yet.. now coming in later in day

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

they haven’t published the data yet.. now coming in later in day

Yes, think I jumped the gun a bit, took info from Worldometers website.

Capture.JPG

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, graygo said:

Yes, think I jumped the gun a bit, took info from Worldometers website.

Capture.JPG

It drips in through the day now, probably becuase there are more cases to count.. was the same yesterday and by the end of day was up to 26,000

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It drips in through the day now, probably becuase there are more cases to count.. was the same yesterday and by the end of day was up to 26,000

Thanks, that makes sense.

46 minutes ago, Cade said:

Data harvesting and mathematical modelling may work for winning referendums and general elections, but it doesn't work against pandemic outbreaks.

Quarantine, mass testing and contact tracing is the only way to keep a virus at bay long enough for a vaccine to be produced and distributed.

Some of the mathematical models are real ivory towers stuff and act as a real lesson in the dangers of being overly-stuck in an ideology. Some of the models produced over the last couple of weeks or so would just need the authors to make one phone-call to a local hospital to realise that their predictions are way off the mark.     

Jambo-Jimbo
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Different time zones as well.

58 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Well the advice does seem to be changing the more we learn about this virus.

Just the social distancing for example, 1 metre became 2 metres and now new research seems to show that droplets can travel up to 6 - 8 metres, which may effect social distancing again.

Also a case in China of a new strain that can stay with carrier 49 days instead of the reported 20 or they have found that milder cases actually stay with the host for a longer period.

Anyone who has ever done budgeting at a large company would have known that the mathematicians' modelling was always going to be utter mince. Simply far too many variables and estimates, and hardly any solid base numbers to even start from.... 

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Eddie Large of Little & Large has died from Covid-19.

he was already in hospital with heart problems when he caught covid 19

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

he was already in hospital with heart problems when he caught covid 19

Terrible he caught it in hospital. Only to be expected given the spread of other hospital acquired infections in recent years.

9 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Born in Glasgow, every day's a school day.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Terrible he caught it in hospital. Only to be expected given the spread of other hospital acquired infections in recent years.

Could have been brought in by a visitor or a member of staff.

37 minutes ago, graygo said:

Definitely something up

11 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

:( I mind going to see them at Blackpool as a kid.

Pasquale for King

Sky are reporting that there’s been a study into face masks and that WHO have been urged to change their advice on the benefits of wearing them. Hopefully not by a company paid by the producers of them to look into it. 
Austria have said you have to wear a mask to get your shopping.

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Could have been brought in by a visitor or a member of staff.

Yeah true. I’m maybe jumping the gun. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sky are reporting that there’s been a study into face masks and that WHO have been urged to change their advice on the benefits of wearing them. Hopefully not by a company paid by the producers of them to look into it. 
Austria have said you have to wear a mask to get your shopping.

Interesting that the UK government has been heavily criticised on here for not following WHO guidance...so surely the WHO can't have got something wrong?

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic