Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

A shock but maybe not so much when you think on it,  the vast majority of fatalities are impacting their core audience. 

Self preservation, also likely to be Tory voters too which makes herd immunity all the more strange.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger Dead at 52 From COVID-19

Loved a bit of FoW. 😭

*oops, font's a bit big 😃

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Loved a bit of FoW. 😭

Stacey's mum will be gutted

9 hours ago, BlackJAC? said:

Things could be getting interesting politically.  Both the Daily Mail and The Telegraph beginning to lay into Boris Johnston & Co with regards to the testing shambles. Thought I'd never see it tbh.

On that point is the Scottish government responsible for the NHS testing in Scotland or is it the UK government’s responsibility? 

Governor Tarkin
9 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Only problem is that it is not known if people who have had it mildly are immune or not...A larger viral load or a mutated strain which comes about from allowing so many people to be infected could result in reinfection or worse variant. Herd immunity is callous and inhumane but it is also one hell of a gamble...

If the idiots had just tried to contain it when they could...We're an island, we had a better chance than any country with land borders but our Govt effed it up royally...

Of course its a gamble.

Everything is a gamble.

44 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Loved a bit of FoW. 😭

My favourite band :( 

I know someone is just going to say “easy to say that with hindsight” but the UK should have looked at Spain and Italy weeks ago and done the same. People in Spain have been in quarantine without being able to leave the flat unless it’s to go to the nearest supermarket for 18 days now and the cases are still rising at 6-7k per day. 

2 minutes ago, King prawn said:

I know someone is just going to say “easy to say that with hindsight” but the UK should have looked at Spain and Italy weeks ago and done the same. People in Spain have been in quarantine without being able to leave the flat unless it’s to go to the nearest supermarket for 18 days now and the cases are still rising at 6-7k per day. 

Like every country they should have been reacting when it first broke in China.They waited until it was in the door before doing anything but the least they could have done was started to get the NHS the gear they needed then rather until scrambling for stuff now.

Jambo-Jimbo

Saying on the news that WHO are reviewing their advice on face masks, seems they may offer some protection afterall.

Also that the virus dropplets can travel much further than previously thought as well and stay in the air for longer, does that mean the 2 metre distance might not be enough, and it might need to be a bigger gap.

But on the face mask issue, don't see that there's much point changing the advice to start wearing face masks when there are none available as it is, if the NHS are struggling to get them then what chance have the rest of us got.

It's hit my wife's work (care home) this morning ☹️

2 residents and possibly 1 staff. 

🤞 it doesn't sweep through the place because that's the main worry. Just to be clear, the company she works for have been amazing to their staff so far. They really look after them.

Scary for everyone involved..

A mere 30 British built ventilators will be delivered to the NHS next week despite the government promising thousands...

1 minute ago, kila said:

A mere 30 British built ventilators will be delivered to the NHS next week despite the government promising thousands...

Should see us through a few hours, day at most. 

Disgraceful. 

3 minutes ago, kila said:

Gove economical with.the truth as usual he said the start of thousands but failed to mention first batch would be a mere 30

5 minutes ago, kila said:

where are you seeing that?

Mac_fae_Gillie
40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Saying on the news that WHO are reviewing their advice on face masks, seems they may offer some protection afterall.

Also that the virus dropplets can travel much further than previously thought as well and stay in the air for longer, does that mean the 2 metre distance might not be enough, and it might need to be a bigger gap.

But on the face mask issue, don't see that there's much point changing the advice to start wearing face masks when there are none available as it is, if the NHS are struggling to get them then what chance have the rest of us got.

Just my thoughts but if 100% wore masks it reduces those with it from spreading it, over the last month 10s of thousands have had covid 19 and not know having the odd cough just passing it off as normal these are the biggest spreaders of the virus. Had we all worn masks as of March 1st that would not have occurred.

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Dyson? Has his plans not been approved before manufacturing? Surely he has a prototype, or has he been handed a blank cheque.

That's his UK tax return.

Jambo-Jimbo
2 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Just my thoughts but if 100% wore masks it reduces those with it from spreading it, over the last month 10s of thousands have had covid 19 and not know having the odd cough just passing it off as normal these are the biggest spreaders of the virus. Had we all worn masks as of March 1st that would not have occurred.

If we'd wore masks since January or before then maybe none of this would be happening now.

Hindsight and all that...................

1 minute ago, DETTY29 said:

That's his UK tax return.

Is the factory in Malaysia ?

If so he needs to first get them approved then built then shipped across from Malaysia.The whole thing seems mental as in the meantime I'm sure I read that current ventilator makers have not been given any orders.Its all rather baffling

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

If we'd wore masks since January or before then maybe none of this would be happening now.

Yep if we acted when WHO first advised.To be fair though that goes for the whole of the western world.

18 minutes ago, Mac_fae_Gillie said:

Let's do the sums here.

Population is around 60 million.

The masks are one time use only.

There's already a shortage.

How would we manage that?

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

Let's do the sums here.

They can't be single use the ones Asian people use

The Mighty Thor
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

China approves bear bile as a treatment for covid19.     Lessons being learned in spades then.

:facepalm:

That can't be a thing?

Surely TF not?

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

**** me that's a lot of masks used each day

I should have said that this applies to proper face masks, the kind that might actually provide some protection. Not the daft we hankie type favoured by most Asians.

http://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-and-surgical-masks-face-masks

Edited by graygo

Just now, graygo said:

I should have said that this applies to proper face masks, the kind that might actually provide some protection. Not the daft we hankie type favoured by most Asians.

Do the hankie ones offer no protection at all then?

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That can't be a thing?

Surely TF not?

Seemingly so.    Familiar theme.    Traditional remedy dating back centuries.   No scientific evidence of benefit.   

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Do the hankie ones offer no protection at all then?

The clowns wearing these masks but not covering their eyes with goggles or an equivalent protection are wasting their time - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Also these masks are to protect you from spreading to others not the other way around.

Edited by frankblack

Just now, frankblack said:

The clowns wearing these masks but not covering their eyes with goggles are wasting their time - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Also these masks are to protect you from spreading to others not the other way around.

Thanks 👍

Jambo-Jimbo
23 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Is the factory in Malaysia ?

If so he needs to first get them approved then built then shipped across from Malaysia.The whole thing seems mental as in the meantime I'm sure I read that current ventilator makers have not been given any orders.Its all rather baffling

Being totally made in the UK, Dyson have a plant based at an old RAF airfield in Wiltshire.

It's not just Dyson, JCB are making the steel housings for them and probably other companies are involved in some way as well.

40 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Watched a video (on this post) of the South Korean virologists take on the WHO suggesting the wearing of masks (In Continental Europe) would make little or no difference, Oh really?

The WHO poo, pooed the wearing of masks in the West because what paltry stock Europe had was rapidly depleted by the demand from the incredible front line medical staff. No great stocks would've been made available to the average punter.

Johnny Foreigner & Joe Soap were told to ***k off, just wash your hands to "Happy Birthday" and all will be Honky Dory...defo beyond parody.

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

2 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Being totally made in the UK, Dyson have a plant based at an old RAF airfield in Wiltshire.

It's not just Dyson, JCB are making the steel housings for them and probably other companies are involved in some way as well.

That's good then

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Seemingly so.    Familiar theme.    Traditional remedy dating back centuries.   No scientific evidence of benefit.   

FFS

Jambo-Jimbo
31 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Yep if we acted when WHO first advised.To be fair though that goes for the whole of the western world.

WHO haven't advised the wearing of face masks as far as I'm aware, that however is about to change so it's being reported, so we and the rest of the World have been following WHO advise on this.

6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

The clowns wearing these masks but not covering their eyes with goggles or an equivalent protection are wasting their time - as much use as a chocolate teapot.

It's mental I have seen police in Italy with their nose exposed

Jambo-Jimbo
Just now, vegas-voss said:

That's good then

It's also not for profit seemingly, all the companies are doing it at cost price, but that's also been lost in the rush to shout tory donor, tory donor.

Personally I don't give a monkey's who is going to make them, the important thing indeed the only thing is that they are made, they work and save lives, feck all else should matter right now.

31 minutes ago, Victorian said:

China approves bear bile as a treatment for covid19.     Lessons being learned in spades then.

This guy should be immune for life, he drinks his own piss on a daily basis.

download.jpeg

20 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Agreed. With the unknown amount of asymptomatic people among us, if there had been enough masks to go around, it would've helped reduce the transmission surely?

Edited by Old Blue Eyes

Jambo-Jimbo
32 minutes ago, graygo said:

Let's do the sums here.

Basically this was what some Professor from Imperial College was saying this morning, little point in WHO changing it's advice, saying to wear face masks now, when there isn't any available to wear.

43 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Having had experience in campaigning against this, I can add that the extraction of bear bile causes great pain, discomfort and suffering to the captive bears involved. In addition, it probably has zero effect on coronavirus.

https://www.animalsasia.org/uk/media/news/news-archive/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-bear-bile-farming.html

Sorry for the politics, but I think China just grew up too quickly.

Edited by redjambo

manaliveits105
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

It's also not for profit seemingly, all the companies are doing it at cost price, but that's also been lost in the rush to shout tory donor, tory donor.

Personally I don't give a monkey's who is going to make them, the important thing indeed the only thing is that they are made, they work and save lives, feck all else should matter right now.

:spoton:

11 hours ago, Tazio said:

Jesus. That recording on the BBC news of the old man in Belfast not able to go to his wife’s funeral as he’s in hospital with it as well was absolutely heartbreaking. 

Mrs Ribble's Gran passed away in her sleep on Monday night, we've been told that the larger chapel at Warriston can accommodate 26 people for the funeral (12 for the smaller one) but there is a chance that the government will enforce a zero attendance rule for funerals by the end of next week, we're doing all we can to push all the paperwork through as soon as possible, the thought of her gran being cremated with nobody there just isn't worth thinking about, 

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Having had experience in campaigning against this, I can add that the extraction of bear bile causes great pain, discomfort and suffering to the captive bears involved. In addition, it probably has zero effect on coronavirus.

https://www.animalsasia.org/uk/media/news/news-archive/five-things-you-need-to-know-about-bear-bile-farming.html

Sorry for the politics, but I think Chine just grew up too quickly.

I can well imagine it does. They just don’t bloody learn do they? 

16 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's mental I have seen police in Italy with their nose exposed

Bizarre, isn't it. Some randoms in my working environment had the masks hanging from their bottom lip, all changed now though, hallelujah for the intense risk assessments.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic