Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

1 hour ago, Victorian said:

Whenever James.  Humans are not in control until we force control.  If we don't force the issue,  the virus controls us until it naturally abates.

👍

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Victorian said:

S.A. hospital presentation rose 300% over a week. 

Pretoria, at the centre of the Omicron "epidemic" showed a sharp rise in admissions to Covid wards. The majority were admitted for conditions unrelated to Covid, with positive test results "an incidental finding".

At Govt and scientific level, I think there is a bit of selective number-plucking going on tbh.

3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said JHB 

I'm no fan of her or talk radio, but on Covid I find it hard not to feel the way they're trying to make me feel by reeling off those questions. Now if there are good answers or she's got some stuff wrong it would have been good to hear that from the Health Secretary, his avoidance of it (if that is the case) leaves me feeling he hasn't got any answers, at least none that are different to hers.

5 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm no fan of her or talk radio, but on Covid I find it hard not to feel the way they're trying to make me feel by reeling off those questions. Now if there are good answers or she's got some stuff wrong it would have been good to hear that from the Health Secretary, his avoidance of it (if that is the case) leaves me feeling he hasn't got any answers, at least none that are different to hers.

His avoidance / silence speaks volumes really . 

Dennis Denuto
6 minutes ago, Taffin said:

When you find yourself agreeing with JHB you are normally on the wrong side of the argument.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

JHB is a reptilian,  elitist,  gammonette shitehawk.  

:spoton:   

Her questions are ridiculous. We can see how fast the variant spreads but it's still not fully known what it means for hospitalisations, nor how well it evades vaccines. It is better to take action now than sit twiddling thumbs and waiting to see if the **** hits the fan before doing anything. If the measures prove unnecessary they will be removed again.

Edited by Ray Gin

8 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

When you find yourself agreeing with JHB you are normally on the wrong side of the argument.

True, but in this instance it's more than offset by also disagreeing with a certain 4ever Jambo...

Dennis Denuto
3 minutes ago, Taffin said:

True, but in this instance it's more than offset by also disagreeing with a certain 4ever Jambo...

There is a happy place in the middle for sane people. 

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

👍The bit at the bottom from the WHO is important. We all want this variant to be significantly less harmful. But until we know for sure it is best to be cautious. Nobody wants to be put back in lockdown. Anything that can be done at this stage to minimise the chance of that being necessary is worth doing. 

"But speaking at a press conference on Wednesday Dr Maria Van Kerkhove, technical lead of the World Health Organization's coronavirus response, cautioned that reports of mild disease are anecdotal and it is "to early" to draw firm conclusions. 

The WHO epidemiologist said it can take "time for people to go through the full course of their infection", and noted that no specific studies with standardised data comparing omicron to previous variants have yet been published. 

She added that, even if omicron is confirmed to cause milder illness, governments should not be complacent.

"If we have more transmission, if we have more cases, we will have more hospitalisations. And if we have more hospitalisations in overburdened healthcare systems, the chances of increasing death are much higher," Dr van Kerkhove said.

17 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

:spoton:   

Her questions are ridiculous. We can see how fast the variant spreads but it's still not fully known what it means for hospitalisations, nor how well it evades vaccines. It is better to take action now than sit twiddling thumbs and waiting to see if the **** hits the fan before doing anything. If the measures prove unnecessary they will be removed again.

So you still don’t give a shiney shit about the impacts of restrictions on business's, peoples livelihoods  etc ? Least you are consistent . 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

So you still don’t give a shiney shit about the impacts of restrictions on business's, peoples livelihoods  etc ? Least you are consistent . 

Don't slaver absolute pish, James.

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

That's her LinkedIn bio. 

I think she’s quite sexy actually . I like intelligent posh totty ! 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

To each their own. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/30/life-tragic-death-john-eyers-fitness-fanatic-who-refused-covid-vaccine?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Very sad article 😞

“John mentioned to me once that one of his beliefs was that we shouldn’t live in a climate of fear around Covid,” says Jenny. “If you were young and fit and well, you’d be fine.”

In this assumption, John wasn’t entirely wrong. He was extremely unlikely to die from Covid, as a physically fit 42-year-old with no underlying conditions. The Covid mortality rate for a 40-year-old with no underlying health conditions is about one in every 1,490 people infected.

But his calculus when it came to understanding the risk-to-benefit ratio of Covid vaccination was off. If infected, someone who is unvaccinated is 32 times more likely to die of Covid than someone who has been vaccinated. While vaccination carries a risk of side-effects, this risk is far smaller than the risk of being unvaccinated during a pandemic. Out of 46.3 million fully vaccinated people in the UK, 77 have died of blood clots thought to be related to a Covid vaccine.”

From same article:

”How do you explain how a supremely fit 42-year-old man died of a disease typically thought to afflict older people or those with underlying conditions?

“Genetics makes the most sense,” says Dr Guillaume Butler-Laporte, a genetic epidemiologist at McGill University. Butler‑Laporte is part of a global research programme to analyse the genomes of more than 100,000 people with Covid, in an effort to understand why some people are more severely affected than others.

Butler-Laporte and his colleagues found that people with variants in up to a dozen locations on the human genome were at higher risk of developing severe Covid, should they be unfortunate enough to be infected with the virus. People with variants on the chromosome 3 region alone were up to twice as likely to develop severe Covid as someone without that genetic mutation. Chromosome 3 mutations are carried in about 10% of people of European ancestry, meaning that such people have a 10% chance of being twice as susceptible to severe Covid infection.

“Had he been vaccinated, the best case would have been that he developed sterilising immunity, meaning that, when the virus landed in his nostrils, it got picked up by antibodies and never set up an infection,” says Dr Tom Lawton, an intensive care doctor.

“If he’d had a lower level of immunity from the vaccine, he would have had non-sterilising immunity, meaning that the virus did start to infect cells, but his body fought it and was able to clear out the virus before it ramped up rapidly.”

But John was not vaccinated.

The Covid virus infected his cells, replicating in his body. He eventually managed to expunge the virus – but then his immune system went into overdrive. “The virus seems to set something up in the body and the damage comes from there,” says Lawton. “It wouldn’t have happened had the virus not been there.”

Really interesting.

Edited by Alex Kintner

Dennis Denuto
40 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Intelligent in the sense that she has flipped her views from left to right just to make money and stay in the public eye.

Who knows what she actually believes she is just an Oxford Educated Shock Jock

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Well said JHB 

All very good questions that they have no answers to when they are ploughing on with unwarranted restrictions 

9 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

All very good questions that they have no answers to when they are ploughing on with unwarranted restrictions 

Agreed, excellent questions but I don't really know much about her so I'm not so biased as to dismiss them out of hand because she's not a Scottish Nationalist.

Dennis Denuto
7 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

They might be good questions but her 'answers' unchallenged to her own questions were total bollocks. The measures introduced by Boris and Co yesterday are not about preventing a rise in infection they are about slowing and controlling the rise. It is about attempting to reduce peoples contacts without fundamentally preventing them from having any contacts, it is designed to prevent lockdowns.  

The trouble with people like her and Oliver etc is they never come back later to say they were wrong (I know Ferguson doesn't do it either) when the numbers go up and people start dying.  Wearing a mask, showing a QR code and WFH are not really that big a deal.

3 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

Wearing a mask, showing a QR code and WFH are not really that big a deal.

Wearing is a good thing in the current circumstances.

Showing a QR code will eliminate anyone who hasn’t had the vaccines and could well damage business.

WFH will hit businesses who rely on footfall from from those working in offices etc. 

I didn’t see any financial help being offered to businesses hit by the last two restrictions. 

20 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Exactly . 

9 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Agreed, excellent questions but I don't really know much about her so I'm not so biased as to dismiss them out of hand because she's not a Scottish Nationalist.

I know the seeth ! Dearie me 

6 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

They might be good questions but her 'answers' unchallenged to her own questions were total bollocks. The measures introduced by Boris and Co yesterday are not about preventing a rise in infection they are about slowing and controlling the rise. It is about attempting to reduce peoples contacts without fundamentally preventing them from having any contacts, it is designed to prevent lockdowns.  

The trouble with people like her and Oliver etc is they never come back later to say they were wrong (I know Ferguson doesn't do it either) when the numbers go up and people start dying.  Wearing a mask, showing a QR code and WFH are not really that big a deal.

Working from home will have a serious impact on many businesses which rely on office workers / city workers etc. the impact on businesses may be severe with vaccine passports too . Don’t be selfish . Think about others livelihoods . 

No dramas from me , unlike the earlier vaccines 😎😎😂 Had the flu vax other day and now just had the booster . All my choice to do so . I weighed up the pros and cons for me . My pro choice decision was to take both . 😎😎

4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Exactly . 

I know the seeth ! Dearie me 

Working from home will have a serious impact on many businesses which rely on office workers / city workers etc. the impact on businesses may be severe with vaccine passports too . Don’t be selfish . Think about others livelihoods . 

Going back in to lockdown will have an even more serious impact. Don't be selfish. Think about others livelihoods.

Dennis Denuto
2 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

Showing a QR code will eliminate anyone who hasn’t had the vaccines and could well damage business.

WFH will hit businesses who rely on footfall from from those working in offices etc. 

I didn’t see any financial help being offered to businesses hit by the last two restrictions. 

They can show a negative test QR code as well.

While I feel for any business who is suffering the facts are that circumstances change for business all the time and often not the fault of the business owner, I am certain most businesses that could have adapted to the circumstance of WFH

27 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

No dramas from me , unlike the earlier vaccines 😎😎😂 Had the flu vax other day and now just had the booster . All my choice to do so . I weighed up the pros and cons for me . My pro choice decision was to take both . 😎😎

Nice one James 👍🏻

Dennis Denuto
44 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well done James - your next civic duty is to encourage everyone else to do the same

InternationalJambo
47 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

As it should be 👍

Dennis Denuto
55 minutes ago, Boy Daniel said:

I should have added earlier that the Government have added the financial assistance of providing free vaccinations to everyone and advised them to take them, so go get vaccinated if you want to protect Businesses (not aimed specifically at you)

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

From same article:

”How do you explain how a supremely fit 42-year-old man died of a disease typically thought to afflict older people or those with underlying conditions?

“Genetics makes the most sense,” says Dr Guillaume Butler-Laporte, a genetic epidemiologist at McGill University. Butler‑Laporte is part of a global research programme to analyse the genomes of more than 100,000 people with Covid, in an effort to understand why some people are more severely affected than others.

Butler-Laporte and his colleagues found that people with variants in up to a dozen locations on the human genome were at higher risk of developing severe Covid, should they be unfortunate enough to be infected with the virus. People with variants on the chromosome 3 region alone were up to twice as likely to develop severe Covid as someone without that genetic mutation. Chromosome 3 mutations are carried in about 10% of people of European ancestry, meaning that such people have a 10% chance of being twice as susceptible to severe Covid infection.

“Had he been vaccinated, the best case would have been that he developed sterilising immunity, meaning that, when the virus landed in his nostrils, it got picked up by antibodies and never set up an infection,” says Dr Tom Lawton, an intensive care doctor.

“If he’d had a lower level of immunity from the vaccine, he would have had non-sterilising immunity, meaning that the virus did start to infect cells, but his body fought it and was able to clear out the virus before it ramped up rapidly.”

But John was not vaccinated.

The Covid virus infected his cells, replicating in his body. He eventually managed to expunge the virus – but then his immune system went into overdrive. “The virus seems to set something up in the body and the damage comes from there,” says Lawton. “It wouldn’t have happened had the virus not been there.”

Really interesting.

1 hour ago, Alex Kintner said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/nov/30/life-tragic-death-john-eyers-fitness-fanatic-who-refused-covid-vaccine?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Very sad article 😞

“John mentioned to me once that one of his beliefs was that we shouldn’t live in a climate of fear around Covid,” says Jenny. “If you were young and fit and well, you’d be fine.”

In this assumption, John wasn’t entirely wrong. He was extremely unlikely to die from Covid, as a physically fit 42-year-old with no underlying conditions. The Covid mortality rate for a 40-year-old with no underlying health conditions is about one in every 1,490 people infected.

But his calculus when it came to understanding the risk-to-benefit ratio of Covid vaccination was off. If infected, someone who is unvaccinated is 32 times more likely to die of Covid than someone who has been vaccinated. While vaccination carries a risk of side-effects, this risk is far smaller than the risk of being unvaccinated during a pandemic. Out of 46.3 million fully vaccinated people in the UK, 77 have died of blood clots thought to be related to a Covid vaccine.”

Don't expect to see it in the Guardian but the guy had the underlying condition of Asthma according to the same sister.

The fact that they've ignored or deliberately left out that a guy who died of a respiratory disease had a pre existing disease in the airways of his lungs makes the article a pile of pish.

1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I'm fully vaxed, boosted, flu etc etc. Unless they bring out a vaccine to protect against death and taxes, we should all be done with vaccines for the foreseeable. 

I genuinely couldn't give a shit about Omicron, Delta, Kent or any other variant they dig up just in time for Christmas each year.

The collective pant-wetting and daily updates, at a time when hospitalisations are down and all signs point to it being weaker, is simply state sponsored  scaremongering.

Following on from the Christmas party at No 10 fiasco, I doubt many people will pay any heed of new restrictions on their life.

I don't give Covid a second thought when I'm out and I wouldn't know one end of a lateral flow test from the other.

Let the fully vaxed get on with it and start focusing on speeding up the booster programme and encouraging the unvaxed to get vaxed.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I'm fully vaxed, boosted, flu etc etc. Unless they bring out a vaccine to protect against death and taxes, we should all be done with vaccines for the foreseeable. 

I genuinely couldn't give a shit about Omicron, Delta, Kent or any other variant they dig up just in time for Christmas each year.

The collective pant-wetting and daily updates, at a time when hospitalisations are down and all signs point to it being weaker, is simply state sponsored  scaremongering.

Following on from the Christmas party at No 10 fiasco, I doubt many people will pay any heed of new restrictions on their life.

I don't give Covid a second thought when I'm out and I wouldn't know one end of a lateral flow test from the other.

Let the fully vaxed get on with it and start focusing on speeding up the booster programme and encouraging the unvaxed to get vaxed.

100% agree with that i'm in the same boat as you.

Dennis Denuto
4 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Don't expect to see it in the Guardian but the guy had the underlying condition of Asthma according to the same sister.

The fact that they've ignored or deliberately left out that a guy who died of a respiratory disease had a pre existing disease in the airways of his lungs makes the article a pile of pish.

I know that Asthma gives and increased chance of catching long covid (taking longer to clear symptoms) but I didn't think it made you more likely to end up in hospital or die.

10 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

Must be quite mild if he’s a mountain climbing, bodybuilding triathlete.🤷🏻‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Must be quite mild if he’s a mountain climbing, bodybuilding triathlete.🤷🏻‍♂️

Good guess. Maybe the Guardian could ask a doctor about how it affected his lung function.

11 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I know that Asthma gives and increased chance of catching long covid (taking longer to clear symptoms) but I didn't think it made you more likely to end up in hospital or die.

It's classed as a pre existing conditions by the NHS when it records covid deaths.

Dennis Denuto
Just now, Rocco_Jambo said:

It's classed as a pre existing conditions by the NHS when it records covid deaths.

But studies have shown if it is controlled asthma then it does not put you in greater danger of dying or have a serious illness.

14 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

How come you left out the equally important "more transmissable" ?

It's also affecting very young children in a way Covid doesn't, 

And as I posted earlier on here , some worrying signs from an early survey that vaccines can be  far less protective against this mutation.

But , yeah, hospitals aren't full and the death rate isn't too bad so it's all fine , seems to be your take. 

The use of "pant wetting" on a subject like this is puerile, just because people hold views contrary to your own. 

4 minutes ago, Dennis Denuto said:

But studies have shown if it is controlled asthma then it does not put you in greater danger of dying or have a serious illness.

If that's the case a credible journalist and paper would have presented some sort of source to that effect or asked the doctor to comment on its effect rather than saying he had no underlying conditions when he actually did.

Edited by Rocco_Jambo

Dennis Denuto
1 minute ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

If that's the case a credible journalist and paper would have presented some sort of source to that effect or asked the doctor to comment on its effect rather than saying he had no underlying conditions when he actually did.

Have you seen his death certificate?

2 minutes ago, Rocco_Jambo said:

It is the case. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic