Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Scottish numbers: 10 November 2021

Summary

• 3,852 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+1,619; 7-day delta not available due to last week's data issue]
  • 44,434 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+24,975]
    • 9.1% of these were positive [-2.9%]
  • 19 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-1]
  • 61 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+4]
  • 778 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+25]
  • 4,325,307 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,920,006 have received their second dose [+867; +1,478]

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's 7-day stats.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     8 Nov 7 Nov 6 Nov 5 Nov 4 Nov ... 1 Nov
Deaths     18 18 0   19 19 19 18 18 ... 16

All in hospital     812 835 -23   860 879 895 911 923 ... 924
Non-ICU     754 777 -23   801 818 833 847 859 ... 862
ICU     58 58 0   59 61 62 64 64 ... 62

54 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 10 November 2021

Summary

• 3,852 new cases of COVID-19 reported [+1,619; 7-day delta not available due to last week's data issue]
  • 44,434 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [+24,975]
    • 9.1% of these were positive [-2.9%]
  • 19 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [-1]
  • 61 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+4]
  • 778 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+25]
  • 4,325,307 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,920,006 have received their second dose [+867; +1,478]

A big increase today compared to normal

more restrictions imminent I would say 

13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Restrictions based on 1 day's increase? :)

There is an upwards trend in cases at the moment, agreed, but the slope is fairly shallow and doesn't merit increased restrictions, imo. For info, the current uptick in infections is almost entirely caused by increased cases in the under 24's (see "Weekly Case Rate by Age Group" at https://www.travellingtabby.com/scotland-coronavirus-tracker/.)

Edited by redjambo

15 hours ago, My half sister said:

On a slightly different topic but one that's linked to Covid, can someone explain what the current rules are on drinking alcohol on a train in Scotland?

Before the outbreak, you could not drink on the platform but as soon as you entered the train, you could drink alcohol between 10a.m. and 9pm.

Then we went into lockdown and drinking as well as eating were banned.

Things have relaxed and people are using trains again.

I went from Falkirk to London in July and from the moment I got on the train, the bar was open, people were drinking and no one was stopping them.

However, on local trains, guards have told me that it's against the law to drink, he wasnt bothered but watch out if the Transport Police board the train.

On Saturday, on the way to the game and coming back after 9pm, people were openly drinking and no one cared.

So I ask again, what is the law of the land at present?

Scottish government brought in a no drinking law on scotrail trains only a few weeks into Covid and said it was only temporary ban and would be lifted when lockdown was lifted. 

18 months later and ban is still in place with no sign of ever being lifted. 

For the record everyone just carries on as normal and has a drink on the train and the conductor probably won’t say anything as no way they can police it as especially when passengers walked past police at Waverley with drink on them and they say nothing as well. 

A couple having a bottle bottle of wine on a Saturday afternoon are doing no harm at all and are the ones that might stick to the rules while your dragon soup kids don’t give a toss about any rules 

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Today's 7-day stats.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     8 Nov 7 Nov 6 Nov 5 Nov 4 Nov ... 1 Nov
Deaths     18 18 0   19 19 19 18 18 ... 16

All in hospital     812 835 -23   860 879 895 911 923 ... 924
Non-ICU     754 777 -23   801 818 833 847 859 ... 862
ICU     58 58 0   59 61 62 64 64 ... 62

👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Looks like it.

Dennis Denuto
54 minutes ago, theshed said:

Scottish government brought in a no drinking law on scotrail trains only a few weeks into Covid and said it was only temporary ban and would be lifted when lockdown was lifted. 

18 months later and ban is still in place with no sign of ever being lifted. 

For the record everyone just carries on as normal and has a drink on the train and the conductor probably won’t say anything as no way they can police it as especially when passengers walked past police at Waverley with drink on them and they say nothing as well. 

A couple having a bottle bottle of wine on a Saturday afternoon are doing no harm at all and are the ones that might stick to the rules while your dragon soup kids don’t give a toss about any rules 

I've never understood the need for people to drink on the train.  It's not realy a controlled licensed  premises so probably shouldn't be allowed anyway.

Cases have leapt up sharply before and settled down again.  The %+ve rate has consistently bobbed up and down between about 7% and 12% or so.  

Really not sure what the gvt are looking at re increasing rates,  maybe some granular epidemiological data and forecasting,  but there's no  sustained upwards trajectory yet that would justify extra restrictions.

Tues - we might need to increase restrictions.

Wedn - cases go up a lot.

Hmmm...

Thurs and Frid will be interesting.

On 09/11/2021 at 18:06, JamesM48 said:

Yep she has previous for this. Usually send Hopeless out to test the waters.  

When i was out the other night a guy showed me his vaccine passport.  Looked same as mine but it was a fake. Couldn't tell the difference . The scheme needs binned. 

Surely if they were checking properly the scanner that they are 'supposed' to use would catch the forgeries. 

24 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Surely if they were checking properly the scanner that they are 'supposed' to use would catch the forgeries. 

They didn't check his, They didn't check mine either, hence me stating they should bin it really. 

3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

They didn't check his, They didn't check mine either, hence me stating they should bin it really. 

My point was if they had used the scanner your mate would have been found out. 

It's obviously to encourage people to get double vaccinated. 

Anything that helps to keep the Covid figures down is OK by me. 

Malinga the Swinga

Bit of a coincidence that days after Swinney comes out with his diatribe, to be stats conveniently come out to I back him up.

Given issues that they have had with data, the Stats are unreliable and easily manipulated.

We don't need or deserve more regulations, what we need is a more honest government (Westminster and Holyrood).

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Bit of a coincidence that days after Swinney comes out with his diatribe, to be stats conveniently come out to I back him up.

Given issues that they have had with data, the Stats are unreliable and easily manipulated.

We don't need or deserve more regulations, what we need is a more honest government (Westminster and Holyrood).

Think it’s probably more likely what Vic said and the govt are seeing data earlier than is publicly released and which is more granular.

11 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Mandatory trousers in Lanarkshire to stop folk pissing on each other? Good move.

What an odd thing to say

you got your booster jag yet?

Just now, jonesy said:

Nah. Got my sunflower lanyard, fake vaxx passport and bleach on repeat order from Amazon, but. I'm clean.

Well I hope you got vaccinated 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

👍

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

👍

Nucky Thompson
13 hours ago, Victorian said:

Tues - we might need to increase restrictions.

Wedn - cases go up a lot.

Hmmm...

Thurs and Frid will be interesting.

Cases went up 1600 in a day, but there were 25,000 more tests done. The positivity rate went down 2.9%.

He's manipulating the stats to suit an agenda 

Seymour M Hersh
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Cases went up 1600 in a day, but there were 25,000 more tests done. The positivity rate went down 2.9%.

Who would thunk it! 

1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Aliens.jpg

Edited by Alex Kintner

Dennis Denuto
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Scottish Independence?

2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It would be a gross over reaction to have new restrictions really . If they do then it’s definitely very odd and not in congruence with the stats etc. Makes me wonder what’s going on then ? 

Edited by JamesM48

The issue I have with extending any of the vaccine places is that it will

impact on their businesses really . They gave already suffered loss of business through full lockdowns . Also they have proven to be ineffective really in getting more people vaccinated really . Their thinking behind possible extensions most be to try and get more vaccinated , specifically if they targeted gyms , cinemas , cafes where younger people go . It’s blackmail and coercion . I think that those in the younger group who have wanted to be vaccinated have  done so and that’s it . They will always be a minority not wanting the vaccine 

17 hours ago, Dennis Denuto said:

I've never understood the need for people to drink on the train.  It's not realy a controlled licensed  premises so probably shouldn't be allowed anyway.

There is no ‘need’ to drink anywhere really. It’s a freedom and a right  that a democracy provides, with some restrictions relating to sales and consumption. Quaffing a bottle on a long train journey is one of lifes pleasures. Getting wrecked on a train and disrupting other people is one of lifes pain in the arses 

2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

It would be a gross over reaction to have new restrictions really . If they do then it’s definitely very odd and not in congruence with the stats etc. Makes me wonder what’s going on then ? 

It certainly would James. I've long suspected this is as much about controlling the population and effecting behavioural lifestyle changes, possibly with climate change in mind?

i heard one of the myriad "experts' on BBC opining that the public had  already adapted to restrictions due to Covid and therefore wouldn't baulk at the imposition of climate change constraints. 

There has beem.more to this last 18mths imo than meets the eye.

Population wide restrictions on the vast majority of citizens  most of whom wouldn't be susceptible to catching Covid , far less suffer serious symptoms while, at the same time, failing to ensure the most basic of infection control measures in places like hospitals and care homes. The very locations where vulnerable,  elderly people are extremely susceptible. 

Makes very little sense tbh and Swinney suggesting further restrictions is off the scale bonkers.

He should be looking at easing draconian measurea like forcing children to wear masks all day in schools rather than imposing more.

1 minute ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

It certainly would James. I've long suspected this is as much about controlling the population and effecting behavioural lifestyle changes, possibly with climate change in mind?

i heard one of the myriad "experts' on BBC opining that the public had  already adapted to restrictions due to Covid and therefore wouldn't baulk at the imposition of climate change constraints. 

There has beem.more to this last 18mths imo than meets the eye.

Population wide restrictions on the vast majority of citizens  most of whom wouldn't be susceptible to catching Covid , far less suffer serious symptoms while, at the same time, failing to ensure the most basic of infection control measures in places like hospitals and care homes. The very locations where vulnerable,  elderly people are extremely susceptible. 

Makes very little sense tbh and Swinney suggesting further restrictions is off the scale bonkers.

He should be looking at easing draconian measurea like forcing children to wear masks all day in schools rather than imposing more.

59DF87C6-07A3-4D05-AF91-819038559649.png

5 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

It's these sort of things which only add fuel to the conspiracy theorists fire.

2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've long suspected this is as much about controlling the population and effecting behavioural lifestyle changes, possibly with climate change in mind?

51b8e89ceab8eaa87d000009?width=1000&form

Scottish numbers: 11 November 2021

Summary

• 3,340 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-512; up from 2,823 a week ago]
  • 42,983 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results [-1,451]
    • 8.2% of these were positive [-0.9%]
  • 26 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+7]
  • 60 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 768 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-10]
  • 4,326,392 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,921,971 have received their second dose [+1,085; +1,965]

5 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Summary

• 60 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-1]
  • 4,326,392 people have received their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccination and 3,921,971 have received their second dose [+1,085; +1,965]

Case numbers up but the ICU/Hospital numbers are slowly dropping. I do feel hopeful. 

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Summary

Another drop in the positivity rate and people in hospital :thumbsup:

Fxxx the SPFL
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

There is no ‘need’ to drink anywhere really. It’s a freedom and a right  that a democracy provides, with some restrictions relating to sales and consumption. Quaffing a bottle on a long train journey is one of lifes pleasures. Getting wrecked on a train and disrupting other people is one of lifes pain in the arses 

totally agree JC me and the wife regularly quaff a bottle of wine on the return journey from Tweedbank to Edinburgh after grandchild duties actually sometimes two not sure that's classed as along train journey though i do have to tell the wife to stop singing occasionally

Fxxx the SPFL
2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Case numbers up but the ICU/Hospital numbers are slowly dropping. I do feel hopeful. 

spot on but no doubt Swinney will twist it as others have alluded to already.

5 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

spot on but no doubt Swinney will twist it as others have alluded to already.

The question is why would he ? That’s the worrying aspect  of it ? 

Trend stats, part 1:

7-day per-100,000 cases          
Council Area WHO   Today     8 Nov 7 Nov ... 1 Nov
Scotland 4   366 +20   346 346 ... 332

Clackmannanshire 4   624 +51   573 562 ... 628
Orkney Islands 4   621 +14   607 621 ... 607
Dumfries & Galloway 4   528 +71   457 423 ... 326
East Ayrshire 4   517 -17   534 522 ... 394
Angus 4   503 +30   473 472 ... 387
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4   491 -117   608 623 ... 396
Perth & Kinross 4   481 +52   429 407 ... 238
Stirling 4   444 +5   439 439 ... 343
Moray 4   439 +71   368 365 ... 322
Highland 4 211 438 +48   390 384 ... 318
Falkirk 4   437 +44   393 402 ... 326
Inverclyde 4   430 -16   446 443 ... 263
Fife 4   427 +51   376 374 ... 391
Argyll & Bute 4   405 +7   398 411 ... 386
Scottish Borders 4   404 -19   423 430 ... 344
North Lanarkshire 4   397 +18   379 383 ... 392
South Ayrshire 4   385 +30   355 341 ... 283
East Dunbartonshire 4   378 +49   329 349 ... 344
West Lothian 4   376 -17   393 417 ... 453
South Lanarkshire 4   373 +17   356 365 ... 348
Aberdeen City 4   368 +28   340 333 ... 343
East Renfrewshire 4   361 +47   314 285 ... 243
North Ayrshire 4   346 -12   358 343 ... 337
East Lothian 4 214 324 +11   313 323 ... 326
West Dunbartonshire 4   324 +4   320 335 ... 316
Aberdeenshire 4   317 -29   346 360 ... 468
Dundee City 4   313 +10   303 315 ... 364
Midlothian 4   308 +40   268 290 ... 329
Renfrewshire 4   295 +17   278 266 ... 262
Edinburgh City 4   256 +26   230 232 ... 264
Shetland Islands 4   223 +74   149 136 ... 171
Glasgow City 4   222 +5   217 220 ... 219

11 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

We've been on a case plateau for well over a month, but now cases are rising, as is the positivity rate. It looks like we're heading into a new phase. Ultimately I feel hopeful, of course, but it's (tentatively) not looking so wonderful at the moment as we're heading into some uncertainty.

23 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Another drop in the positivity rate and people in hospital :thumbsup:

The hospital figures are dropping well, Nucky, but from a statistician's point of view, I should point out that the positivity rate is cyclical during the week and inversely correlates reasonable well with the number of tests. It's far better, imo, to look at the 7-day trend stats (when they are available due to there having been no data issues over the last 7 days!) to get a feel of where things are going. Otherwise, if one just interprets the figures on a daily basis it will be case of "Yes!", "No!", "Yes!", "No!", etc.

Edited by redjambo

The trend stats, part two. There won't be solid 7-day vaccination stats for a few days yet. Basically cases are rising, but not at a great rate, the positivity rate is rising, deaths are still moving around within their 16-20 a day plateau where they've been for a good while, hospital cases are dropping well, ICU numbers are decreasing slowly, and the number of 1st and 2nd dose vaccinations being administered is relatively down to a trickle.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     9 Nov 8 Nov 7 Nov 6 Nov 5 Nov ... 1 Nov
Tests     30451 N/A N/A   N/A 30722 30889 N/A N/A ... 31307
Cases     2855 N/A N/A   N/A 2698 2706 N/A N/A ... 2594
Positivity rate %     9.4 N/A N/A   N/A 8.9 8.9 N/A N/A ... 8.9
Deaths     17 18 -1   18 19 19 19 18 ... 16

All in hospital     795 812 -17   835 860 879 895 911 ... 924
Non-ICU     737 754 -17   777 801 818 833 847 ... 862
ICU     58 58 0   58 59 61 62 64 ... 62

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Trend stats, part 1:

7-day per-100,000 cases          
Council Area WHO   Today     8 Nov 7 Nov ... 1 Nov
Scotland 4   366 +20   346 346 ... 332

Clackmannanshire 4   624 +51   573 562 ... 628
Orkney Islands 4   621 +14   607 621 ... 607
Dumfries & Galloway 4   528 +71   457 423 ... 326
East Ayrshire 4   517 -17   534 522 ... 394
Angus 4   503 +30   473 472 ... 387
Na h-Eileanan Siar 4   491 -117   608 623 ... 396
Perth & Kinross 4   481 +52   429 407 ... 238
Stirling 4   444 +5   439 439 ... 343
Moray 4   439 +71   368 365 ... 322
Highland 4 211 438 +48   390 384 ... 318
Falkirk 4   437 +44   393 402 ... 326
Inverclyde 4   430 -16   446 443 ... 263
Fife 4   427 +51   376 374 ... 391
Argyll & Bute 4   405 +7   398 411 ... 386
Scottish Borders 4   404 -19   423 430 ... 344
North Lanarkshire 4   397 +18   379 383 ... 392
South Ayrshire 4   385 +30   355 341 ... 283
East Dunbartonshire 4   378 +49   329 349 ... 344
West Lothian 4   376 -17   393 417 ... 453
South Lanarkshire 4   373 +17   356 365 ... 348
Aberdeen City 4   368 +28   340 333 ... 343
East Renfrewshire 4   361 +47   314 285 ... 243
North Ayrshire 4   346 -12   358 343 ... 337
East Lothian 4 214 324 +11   313 323 ... 326
West Dunbartonshire 4   324 +4   320 335 ... 316
Aberdeenshire 4   317 -29   346 360 ... 468
Dundee City 4   313 +10   303 315 ... 364
Midlothian 4   308 +40   268 290 ... 329
Renfrewshire 4   295 +17   278 266 ... 262
Edinburgh City 4   256 +26   230 232 ... 264
Shetland Islands 4   223 +74   149 136 ... 171
Glasgow City 4   222 +5   217 220 ... 219

👍

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

The trend stats, part two. There won't be solid 7-day vaccination stats for a few days yet. Basically cases are rising, but not at a great rate, the positivity rate is rising, deaths are still moving around within their 16-20 a day plateau where they've been for a good while, hospital cases are dropping well, ICU numbers are decreasing slowly, and the number of 1st and 2nd dose vaccinations being administered is relatively down to a trickle.

7-day averages     Today Yesterday     9 Nov 8 Nov 7 Nov 6 Nov 5 Nov ... 1 Nov
Tests     30451 N/A N/A   N/A 30722 30889 N/A N/A ... 31307
Cases     2855 N/A N/A   N/A 2698 2706 N/A N/A ... 2594
Positivity rate %     9.4 N/A N/A   N/A 8.9 8.9 N/A N/A ... 8.9
Deaths     17 18 -1   18 19 19 19 18 ... 16

All in hospital     795 812 -17   835 860 879 895 911 ... 924
Non-ICU     737 754 -17   777 801 818 833 847 ... 862
ICU     58 58 0   58 59 61 62 64 ... 62

👍

It's only a very shallow slope of an increase in cases and the rate.  The booster programme alone will suppress that even further once all the over50s are allowed to book their jabs,  which is imminent.  The relationship between cases and outcomes is already much better.  It will get better still once more younger people are 3rd jabbed and the anti-virals come on stream.

We are in a transitionary phase between different tools of suppression.  Eventually no longer suppressing transmission.  Focus all on suppressing bad outcomes.

We don't need more restrictions yet.  Only if the underlying trend of increases becomes worse.

Nucky Thompson

Austria are days away from locking down the unvaccinated. They won't be able to leave the house except for work, shopping and stretching their legs. Basically what everyone had to endure last year.

If that doesn't boost the vaccination uptake, nothing will

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's only a very shallow slope of an increase in cases and the rate.  The booster programme alone will suppress that even further once all the over50s are allowed to book their jabs,  which is imminent.  The relationship between cases and outcomes is already much better.  It will get better still once more younger people are 3rd jabbed and the anti-virals come on stream.

We are in a transitionary phase between different tools of suppression.  Eventually no longer suppressing transmission.  Focus all on suppressing bad outcomes.

We don't need more restrictions yet.  Only if the underlying trend of increases becomes worse.

Hope you’re right mate 🤞🏻👍🏻

1 minute ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Austria are days away from locking down the unvaccinated. They won't be able to leave the house except for work, shopping and stretching their legs. Basically what everyone had to endure last year.

I’d be open to something similar here. If you can get vaccinated and choose not to then you live with the consequences of your choice 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

Bloody hell. I'm all for vaccinations, but that seems a wee bit ott. :D

Here's a link to some news about it: https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/08/austria-introduces-tougher-covid-19-measures-for-the-unvaccinated

Just now, Alex Kintner said:

Hope you’re right mate 🤞🏻👍🏻

The well discussed relationship on a time lag between infections spreading and outcomes is different.  Before they had to be really reactive,  proactive,  predictive re measures.  This new relationship allows a bit of time to react to infections.  We just don't need to introduce restrictions as urgently and pre-emptively as we had to.

4 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Maybe they should just build camps for them instead to stay in ? Oh wait ….

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic