Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Seems to me folk drove to a location for a walk. As long as they all didn't get out the cars at the same time and spat at each other what is the problem here?

The problem is surface transmission of the virus. Hands, gloves, clothes, shoes, the car...any or all of these could easily transmit the virus between unwitting hosts.

Even if someone has had the virus and has developed an immunity - they can still carry it and transmit it to those who haven't.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes it would be possible to see a small slowing of new infections.    This will essentially be derived from the heightened awareness in the lead up to the official measures.    Any slowing is too soon to be as a result of lockdown.    We should see that continue and improve again.     

The problem still is, as I know you know, there’s nowhere near enough testing going on. The so called new infections are mostly not new infections but are people who have become ill enough to need medical attention, so they’ve probably been infected for at least a week and in some cases even longer. 

8 minutes ago, Cade said:

100% nonsense for him to come out with that kind of pish.

We're not testing anywhere near enough people to be making statements like that.

All he will achieve with this is encouraging more people to flout the rules.

He does say that we need to be testing more

4 minutes ago, TheOak88 said:

I agree we were discussing the curtailing of people’s liberties (fair point). The Poll Tax didn’t curtail anyone’s liberties so it’s just as useless an example as Iraq war. 

As for your last sentence, don’t take it all so seriously, it’s an internet Forum for discussion, debate, ribbing etc. The “say it to my face” patter, come on, the internet hardman stuff? You are better than this. 

You seem to have ignored the part of my post where I said "or, if extended, laws that negatively affect their lifestyle." Poll Tax would have most certainly done that by impoverishing folk.

I am as far as you can get from being an internet hardman, so please wind your neck in. I don't however suffer fools gladly, I must admit. You didn't answer my post directly, but instead referred to me and it in a comment that I could easily have overlooked. Sneaky, sneaky. ;)

Anyway, you carry on. I have more to worry about than your shenanigans. :thumbsup:

Just now, GinRummy said:

The problem still is, as I know you know, there’s nowhere near enough testing going on. The so called new infections are mostly not new infections but are people who have become ill enough to need medical attention, so they’ve probably been infected for at least a week and in some cases even longer. 

Indeed.   It's something,  if true,   that can only be a result of the heightened awareness prior to lockdown.    Yes we need testing to increase by a magnitude but it's reasonable to believe there's a correlation between known cases and actual cases.

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

that is all well and good, but the masks the frontline staff are issued are utterly useless.

Wrong type, not fitted, gape at the sides and cheap as chips.

my PPE is more suited to working at a deli counter than with covid patients

If one mask contains one cough or sneeze thus reducing the risk of transmission and also reducing the term "they've had their chips"...Good!

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Indeed.   It's something,  if true,   that can only be a result of the heightened awareness prior to lockdown.    Yes we need testing to increase by a magnitude but it's reasonable to believe there's a correlation between known cases and actual cases.

Aye, definitely a correlation but if the shielding of the vulnerable and elderly is working, less people could be getting hospitalised which (although fantastic news) would obviously suggest infection rates are going down whereas they could actually be rising faster but just amongst a healthier group of people.

35 minutes ago, wentworth jambo said:

@Homme and @iantjambo - don't know you guys, have never met  you and have no link to you other than we share the love of a certain team....all of which pales into insignificance in the current climate and my thoughts are with both of you ad you're families. 

34 minutes ago, Ehllhayapeh said:

Sorry to hear that Ian. Goes without saying I hope she defies the odds and pulls through.

Thank you both

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Aye, definitely a correlation but if the shielding of the vulnerable and elderly is working, less people could be getting hospitalised which (although fantastic news) would obviously suggest infection rates are going down whereas they could actually be rising faster but just amongst a healthier group of people.

True.    We'll quite possibly see a more compelling correlation in about 1-2 weeks.

Just now, Victorian said:

True.    We'll quite possibly see a more compelling correlation in about 1-2 weeks.

I expect so as well. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, Nobreath said:

Very interesting especially when they discuss face masks.

Thanks for sharing . It was an excellent interview . The interviewer asked all the pertinent questions and the scientist certainly knew his stuff . 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

All due respect mate but you need to log off here and find a phone number for someone you can talk to, whether thats a mate or a relative or an organisation. Dont take this as criticism and Ive got every sympathy with your position but when youve reached a stage where your posting pictures on a football forum of your blood in the sink you seriously need to ask a real person for help.

I caught part of that and wondered what the hell it was about.

If you have a bad cough that persists it will often result in bringing up blood as you burst a blood vessell.  I get that after a bad cold or flu.

Had something hellish a month ago before the shit hit the fan here.  Persistent wet cough came on overnight and got worse.  Had to take a couple of days off plus the weekend - had chills and also a fever and couldn't eat for two and a half days, but started to recover after a good curry.

Now I wonder if I had the virus or a bad cold/flu - if so, I think the government were lying to us about how widespread it was and how early it got here.

15 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Hopefully it is limited to the ****wits who are ignoring the lockdown.  I haven't seen my elderly Mum for a couple of weeks but keep in touch on the phone daily.

A man has pleaded guilty to breaching coronavirus social distancing rules by repeatedly approaching people in a supermarket queue.

Steven Mackie, 53, was arrested after getting too close to shoppers outside Tesco in Stalybridge on Saturday.

He is thought to be the first person to be charged in the UK since the new restrictions came into force.

At Stockport Magistrates' Court, Mackie was fined £635 after he admitted failing to maintain public health.

Police said Mackie, of Stamford Street, Stalybridge, was "unnecessarily out of his home" and had "continued to approach people contrary to social distancing rules" despite advice from officers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-52089290

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Hopefully it is limited to the ****wits who are ignoring the lockdown.  I haven't seen my elderly Mum for a couple of weeks but keep in touch on the phone daily.

It’s brutal eh? My old man’s in a nursing home which, thankfully, locked down really early. Used to regular visitors and has dementia so I’m gutted for him.

Edited by GinRummy

Anyone in hospital in Madrid over the age of 65 is being sedated and allowed to die according to this, frightening if true.

Just if the phone to work. We’re all being put on furlough as soon as is practical. Initially for 3 weeks with reviews on a monthly basis. Feels all the more real now. 

luckyBatistuta
4 minutes ago, graygo said:

Anyone in hospital in Madrid over the age of 65 is being sedated and allowed to die according to this, frightening if true.

That is so tragic. When are these idiots going to take this onboard that their selfishness is killing people. It really is time for the country to take a tougher stance on them. If you are one of these fools, just imagine how you would feel right now if one or both of your parents were one of those lying in a hospital bed in this horrendous situation. ####ing raging right now.

6 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Just if the phone to work. We’re all being put on furlough as soon as is practical. Initially for 3 weeks with reviews on a monthly basis. Feels all the more real now. 

Got a similar call earlier. Friday is my last day and then furloughed until the end of the month as a minimum.

I'm gutted. I've grown to really enjoy my work over the last couple of years and it's been a welcome distraction in the current climate. And whilst it pales into insignificance on a wider scale I'm so disappointed our current project will suffer a major delay. 

Edited by Taffin

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I'm crying as I think it's only a matter of time I'm dead, or I'll lose a family member 😭😭

Most people are feeling a sense of dread , even feelings of grief , and a concept called anticipatory grief ( thinking ahead about who is going to die ) it can  overwhelm one so try to take each day as it comes . There is nothin you can do about the future so it’s best to try not think about it ? However I know it’s difficult . Remember as I keep saying the virus has a really low mortality rate . Think of the good news today re ventilators etc . Things may get better 

The Internet

180 deaths in the UK last 24 hours. 

Obviously terrible BUT that's 2 days in a row it's come down. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

Is there much risk in being out in your car? Seems a perfect extension of isolation.

On the other hand, a women just went passed my house on a horse. How can you justify that FFS? 😂😂

I feel that too regarding cars . It’s surely a cocoon and allows people to find a quiet spot for exercise without bumping into other people ? 

8 minutes ago, Tazio said:

Yep. Similar to myself. Wages being topped up to 100% for first 3 weeks then will be looked at.

Vast majority of us are unable to work from home and safe distancing measures aren’t practical so furlough it is.

I expect to be off work for a considerable time and to be made redundant at some point once this is over/support from the government ends.

It is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

180 deaths in the UK last 24 hours. 

Obviously terrible BUT that's 2 days in a row it's come down. 

108 in intensive care in Scotland 

Can't think of a valid reason why deaths would be on a genuine downward path at this stage.    Probably just a below expected daily stat within a longer upward trend.     The time factors just don't allow for it to be being contained right now.     Could feasibly be down to the heroics of our NHS though.    

Just now, Victorian said:

Can't think of a valid reason why deaths would be on a genuine downward path at this stage.    Probably just a below expected daily stat within a longer upward trend.     The time factors just don't allow for it to be being contained right now.     Could feasibly be down to the heroics of our NHS though.    

I think the numbers in intensive care are perhaps a more useful indicator.

It does seem the NHS is still coping and new ventilator equipment coming in too. 

Still a worry about the spread and NHS workers not having equipment to protect themselves. 

Just got back from a quick essential shopping run.

Dozens of folk milling about the streets as if it was a feckin bank holiday.

Shop was heaving too, with barely anybody trying to keep a distance from anybody else.

:seething:

The Internet

If the shop is heaving that's a fault of the shop management, not the people. Everyone's just trying to get by. Most shops have queuing systems in place now surely? 

27 minutes ago, graygo said:

:( 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Just got back from a quick essential shopping run.

Dozens of folk milling about the streets as if it was a feckin bank holiday.

Shop was heaving too, with barely anybody trying to keep a distance from anybody else.

:seething:

Nice-ish weather today, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Some European countries have a lower number of reported cases following a Sunday (last weekend for example) 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think the numbers in intensive care are perhaps a more useful indicator.

It does seem the NHS is still coping and new ventilator equipment coming in too. 

Still a worry about the spread and NHS workers not having equipment to protect themselves. 

Yes it's now at the criminal stage re PPE.     Prison term type criminal.

I think generally the NHS are miracle workers and may well be having a small effect on the stats through their dedication.    We might see that at this early stage but probably will not once the growth accelerates.    

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, Mauricio Pinilla said:

If the shop is heaving that's a fault of the shop management, not the people. Everyone's just trying to get by. Most shops have queuing systems in place now surely? 

That's what I thought. All supermarkets up by me have folk on door, admitting one person when another leaves. Think the guy at Morrisons said limited to 50 people in at one time. I have been  taking  time, allow folk to get passed and then shop in almost empty aisles. Even more like this if you go around 7pm when no queues at all. That is Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi up by me and everyone seems to be calm.

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

Some European countries have a lower number of reported cases following a Sunday (last weekend for example) 

Doubt there's anything in that.    Infection to presentation can easily be 2-3 weeks so any direct correlation to specific days of the week seems very unlikely.

I reckon folk expect shops to only allow one customer per aisle or something they complain about shops.

Any shop I've been in (I end up in a range due to work) has queuing in place and typically there will be 3 or 4 people in an aisle. You are mor elikely to get the virus when you pick up an item that someone else may have held than you are walk passed others in the shop.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Doubt there's anything in that.    Infection to presentation can easily be 2-3 weeks so any direct correlation to specific days of the week seems very unlikely.

I meant their reporting of the figures could 

1 minute ago, King prawn said:

I meant their reporting of the figures could 

You never know.   Just shows you how these figures are so complicated to derive anything out of them.

8 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Nice-ish weather today, I suppose.

To be 21c at the weekend just imagine what it will be like then

34 minutes ago, The Roller said:

Yep. Similar to myself. Wages being topped up to 100% for first 3 weeks then will be looked at.

Vast majority of us are unable to work from home and safe distancing measures aren’t practical so furlough it is.

I expect to be off work for a considerable time and to be made redundant at some point once this is over/support from the government ends.

It is what it is.

We’ve got 3 left working out of 54 staff as of this morning. All on furlough for now but most will be out of work if and when the government support finishes. Luckily I’m one of the 3 but my workload has just gone through the roof. Working from home with coffee on tap and the odd wee look at the telly etc but it’s 12 hours work out of 24 just now. 

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

I feel that too regarding cars . It’s surely a cocoon and allows people to find a quiet spot for exercise without bumping into other people ? 

Suppose the problem could be if you either crashed or broke down.

46 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

I reckon folk expect shops to only allow one customer per aisle or something they complain about shops.

Any shop I've been in (I end up in a range due to work) has queuing in place and typically there will be 3 or 4 people in an aisle. You are mor elikely to get the virus when you pick up an item that someone else may have held than you are walk passed others in the shop.

Key is once you get home wash anything fresh, throw packaging in bin, trying to minimise touching surfaces then thoroughly wash hands.

Edited by DETTY29

24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Hungary passing legislation that if you relay misinformation (in the opinion of the government) up to 5 years inside.

So if a health worker tells a journalist there is a lack of equipment, it is reported and the government believes there is enough, up to 5 years for the journalist.

Edited by DETTY29

Brighton Jambo
4 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Hungary passing legislation that if you relay misinformation (in the opinion of the government) up to 5 years inside.

So if a health worker tells a journalist there is a lack of equipment, it is reported and the government believes there is enough, up to 5 years for the journalist.

Imagine if that applied to people in football forums - the prisons would be overflowing! 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

China tried that at the start of the outbreak. 🤔

13 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Guardian's view: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/29/the-guardian-view-on-hungarys-coronavirus-law-orbans-power-grab

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic