Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Very much doubt the government could afford to pay everyone till August and the the already crippled NHS would be hard pushed to take on the extra mental health problems. 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, AlimOzturk said:

You will take being stuck in your house for the next 4 months, only being allowed out to do some grocery shopping and a bit of excercise? **** that. 

Who knows if this social distancing/staying at homes will even work. Isn't working in Spain or Italy. Maybe half the population already has it. 

I'll heed the advice for a while longer but **** doing it till August. 

Yes I will.   It will be hard but I prefer that to the stress of elevated risk.

There's a time lag between measures and the statistics.    It can be 2-3 weeks between infection and having to be hospitalised.     Italy's figures suggest a possible change for their trajectory.

The dCMO has hinted at a possible on-off approach if their analysis shows it's possible.    

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You will take being stuck in your house for the next 4 months, only being allowed out to do some grocery shopping and a bit of excercise? **** that. 

Who knows if this social distancing/staying at homes will even work. Isn't working in Spain or Italy. Maybe half the population already has it. 

I'll heed the advice for a while longer but **** doing it till August. 

Edit to say not having a go at you

I get the sentiment but when we start racking up Spain/Italy daily death tolls and the stories start coming out of the utter carnage faced by the frontline workers then most folks will probably change their perception and a few weeks at home will not seem the sentence it does right now. 

5 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Very much doubt the government could afford to pay everyone till August and the the already crippled NHS would be hard pushed to take on the extra mental health problems. 

Why not volunteer to help the NHS at the hospital?  If it's too much mental torture for you to stay in your nice safe house with your family? 

3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yes I will.   It will be hard but I prefer that to the stress of elevated risk.

There's a time lag between measures and the statistics.    It can be 2-3 weeks between infection and having to be hospitalised.     Italy's figures suggest a possible change for their trajectory.

The dCMO has hinted at a possible on-off approach if their analysis shows it's possible.    

The only way I see an end to this is strict isolation for elderly and high risk folks, massive amounts of testing and treatment and closing the borders until a vaccine is found. The government can't afford to keep this country completely locked down and having to pay everyone their wages. There isn't a magical money tree even. 

15 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I get the sentiment but when we start racking up Spain/Italy daily death tolls and the stories start coming out of the utter carnage faced by the frontline workers then most folks will probably change their perception and a few weeks at home will not seem the sentence it does right now. 

Fair enough. Maybe man...just frustrating as **** all of this. 

I think this thread and a couple of others are a pretty good illustration of what lockdown until August would be disastrous. So many people getting nippy as **** after only one week. 

shaun.lawson
17 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Yep. I think the lockdown should (will?) be for 12 weeks, based on everything that's been suggested about the peak.

7 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

There isn't a magical money tree even. 

Oh, but there is. And there always has been.

shaun.lawson
Just now, Tazio said:

I think this thread and a couple of others are a pretty good illustration of what lockdown until August would be disastrous. So many people getting nippy as **** after only one week. 

Was about to say the same! But it's normal. It's all completely human. Alim isn't selfish for what he's feeling at all. This is an awful, unimaginable time for everyone. 

46 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Yup. ENT consultant down south is dead, yet some ***** thought having a karaoke party was clever.

****ing arseholes 

Said consultant worked at Burton hospital. Which I'm sure many of you know is where I live. Hopefully this will drive home the message to the wee pricks taking up police time by hanging about in the park 😒

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Experts need to be brutally frank and open.

Far too many people still don't get how serious this is and are flouting the guidelines, putting the lives of others at risk and dragging out the duration of the outbreak.

They need telt.

The trouble is there is no real consensus among experts. The Imperial College guy's prediction of up to 500,000 UK deaths reduced later to 250,000 was apparently a major factor in the move to lockdown. But a lot of doubt has emerged from other experts about his forecast and the assumptions in his model (rubbish in rubbish out being the first rule of computer modelling). He also has a history of being wrong for example with the human form of mad cows disease when he forecast up to 50,000 deaths against an outcome of 200 which led to wiping out much of farmers' herds at great cost.

Having said that lockdown seems the only option at present. But worth keeping an eye on Norway vs Sweden where the former has gone for lock down and the latter for remaining largely open. Both following expert advice.

Edited by Francis Albert

18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The only way I see an end to this is strict isolation for elderly and high risk folks, massive amounts of testing and treatment and closing the borders until a vaccine is found. The government can't afford to keep this country completely locked down and having to pay everyone their wages. There isn't a magical money tree even. 

I think the vaccine is irrelevant in terms of this emergency.   It wont be available until long after this wave of pandemic.    It will be important in the aftermath.

We can't allow a return to near normal any time soon.    Demand on the front line must be managed over a period.    Relaxed controls will mean demand hugely swamping resources.     There is no way around that.     Lots of supposedly lower risk people getting infected inevitably puts the vulnerable at more risk,   even when largely isolated.

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

I think the vaccine is irrelevant in terms of this emergency.   It wont be available until long after this wave of pandemic.    It will be important in the aftermath.

We can't allow a return to near normal any time soon.    Demand on the front line must be managed over a period.    Relaxed controls will mean demand hugely swamping resources.     There is no way around that.     Lots of supposedly lower risk people getting infected inevitably puts the vulnerable at more risk,   even when largely isolated.

This

It's a situation where we have to do what we have to do I'm affraid. It's obviously easier for some as for others but loosing the hied at this stage would be terrible for far too many and for the NHS. We're very lucky where we live, even if we were to fully lock down, we live on a farm at the end of a pretty long road with only one way in and out, we could still go out around our house with no fear of meeting anyone, to be in a flat or house in a town or city when it happens to some must be hell😟😟

23 minutes ago, indianajones said:

A lot of wee arseholes out this way. 

Indeed there is , was away to post this pic👍🏻

DDB4D9E8-3EE9-4039-B14F-976C9A356E0D.jpeg

Edited by sadj

58 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Wouldn't be so bad if the weather was decent - can just chill in the garden.

Bet it's a shite summer but

3 month Heatwave on the way starting from Easter.

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

This

It's a situation where we have to do what we have to do I'm affraid. It's obviously easier for some as for others but loosing the hied at this stage would be terrible for far too many and for the NHS. We're very lucky where we live, even if we were to fully lock down, we live on a farm at the end of a pretty long road with only one way in and out, we could still go out around our house with no fear of meeting anyone, to be in a flat or house in a town or city when it happens to some must be hell😟😟

Yep.   I don't know if it's partly paranoia but I'm severely on edge when I have to venture out to the shops.    It's really the only bad aspect.    Yes I'm pretty bored and generally depressed but I can just about survive in the house.     Trying to go back to work if the situation hasn't significantly eased is not an option right now.    I'm sure I'm not alone in being pretty badly affected.    There will be millions upon millions.    That actually feels worse.

39 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Yep. I think the lockdown should (will?) be for 12 weeks, based on everything that's been suggested about the peak.

What measures are they taking over there in Uruguay? Here in Arizona it's pretty wild west at this point, with no official government proclamations or restrictions. Most businesses are still practicing social distancing but it's not mandated per se. All a bit of a mess primarily thanks to having an imbecile at the top of the political food chain both state-wise and nationally.

Hopefully they are taking it much more seriously in South America.

2 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

What measures are they taking over there in Uruguay? Here in Arizona it's pretty wild west at this point, with no official government proclamations or restrictions. Most businesses are still practicing social distancing but it's not mandated per se. All a bit of a mess primarily thanks to having an imbecile at the top of the political food chain both state-wise and nationally.

Stay safe, bud. 

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Stay safe, bud. 

Cheers pal. I'm lucky to be able to just stay inside here at mum and dad's place and rarely venture out. Only potential wrench is my sister, who manages nurses at a hospital, and whose kids my mum cares for when she's away at work. 😬

Fingers crossed.

15 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

What measures are they taking over there in Uruguay? Here in Arizona it's pretty wild west at this point, with no official government proclamations or restrictions. Most businesses are still practicing social distancing but it's not mandated per se. All a bit of a mess primarily thanks to having a WOTSIT at the top of the political food chain both state-wise and nationally.

ftfy

24 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

Cheers pal. I'm lucky to be able to just stay inside here at mum and dad's place and rarely venture out. Only potential wrench is my sister, who manages nurses at a hospital, and whose kids my mum cares for when she's away at work. 😬

Fingers crossed.

🤞

indianajones
1 hour ago, sadj said:

Indeed there is , was away to post this pic👍🏻

DDB4D9E8-3EE9-4039-B14F-976C9A356E0D.jpeg

Thats good. 

I unfollowed Fubar a long time ago. Cannot deal with the clowns you find in the comment sections! 

3 hours ago, mutley said:

The Bridge bar? Still has no ladies toilet as far as I know, although it’s been a few years since I was in it.

From memory it was more likely to be Market St but I can't see any particularly seedy looking bars there on Google maps. Even The Schooner (go-go dancers at 8am) seems to have disappeared.

Doctor FinnBarr
2 minutes ago, Boof said:

From memory it was more likely to be Market St but I can't see any particularly seedy looking bars there on Google maps. Even The Schooner (go-go dancers at 8am) seems to have disappeared.

Daisies was the place to go.......so I'm told

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

**** being locked down till August. **** that for a laugh. 

it’s going to happen on a periodic basis for the next 2 years imo until there is a vaccine, though not as widespread

approach will change, when it pops back up which it will there will be more contact tracing, and narrower stricter lockdowns and hopefully we will have better capability to deal with it, hopefully an effective treatment  as well.

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

And beer!!

Cans only really as CEC aren't doing glass recycling and asking you to wash bottles and retain at home.

Edited by DETTY29

1 hour ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Daisies was the place to go.......so I'm told

1 hour ago, Boof said:

Sorry for going off topic.

It was The Grill in union street that had no women’s toilets. 
Nice bar, not seedy.

The schooner at 8 am after night shift brings back memory’s. We often phoned ahead to reserve a table !
Daisies on a Saturday afternoon. Oh dear, the memories .....

Just now, Jeff said:

Meh British beer is rank.

Get away!! There are some fantastic  British Beers, a few local breweries around where I live have some truly beautiful ales.

14 minutes ago, Dawnrazor said:

Get away!! There are some fantastic  British Beers, a few local breweries around where I live have some truly beautiful ales.

Not a big ale fan in honesty

Montgomery Brewster
3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Once you get this you are immune right? 

There’s currently two strains so does that mean if you’ve had strain 1 you can get strain 2 as well later ?

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Somewhere between we think so to we are sure of, but for this specific strain only.

:(

davemclaren
1 hour ago, Dawnrazor said:

3604FACE-D60F-4429-84E8-32222234EB7A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spellczech said:

Is this the Corona thread or the Coronavirus thread?

:lol: 

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Glad you asked that, Indy.

I wanted to know as well.

We came back from Barcelona in mid January and had a shit two weeks with horrendous coughing, a wee temperature and body pain.  

We put it down to flu.

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

3604FACE-D60F-4429-84E8-32222234EB7A.jpeg

FFS Dave, do we need to see what you keep under your bed?

4 minutes ago, Morgan said:

FFS Dave, do we need to see what you keep under your bed?

Will I show you what I keep under my bed Morgan?!!

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

Will I show you what I keep under my bed Morgan?!!

Please, no.

:nojustno:

3 hours ago, indianajones said:

Thats good. 

I unfollowed Fubar a long time ago. Cannot deal with the clowns you find in the comment sections! 

I haven’t got my fb on haven’t had other than to find pics in ages. I do however know exactly what you mean... Would put this place to shame at times.....

2 hours ago, Boof said:

It closed years ago , no more pills wi your pints at 8am...

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic